daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #1481
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Problem solved!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #1482
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Continental Resources is moving it's World Headquarters from Enid,OK to OKC!Harold Hamm,CEO of CR said he wants the entire current Devon HQ for future expansion!I might be mistaken but I think CR has allready bought out the current Devon hq.
Continental is only moving somewhere around 110 jobs to start off with, no where close enough to occupy that entire tower. However, they did say they planned to expand, but not a whole lot.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #1483
Dale

I'm pretty sure they said they planned to use the entire space.
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1484
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'm pretty sure they said they planned to use the entire space.
I think I remember that also. However, they are only bringing 100 or so employees with plans to expand, but nothing astronomical. So that is why I am wondering.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #1485
ZYXTulsa

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Continental is only moving somewhere around 110 jobs to start off with, no where close enough to occupy that entire tower. However, they did say they planned to expand, but not a whole lot.
I thought they'd said that they wanted to like double or triple in size...???
ZYXTulsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #1486
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I think I remember that also. However, they are only bringing 100 or so employees with plans to expand, but nothing astronomical. So that is why I am wondering.
I believe they will actually be bringing around 250 employees to Oklahoma City when they move next year and plan to triple in size within the first three years. That would mean up to an additional 500 employees at Continental's downtown OKC tower by 2015. Think that they have needed the additional employees for a long time, but haven't been able to attract them to Enid, so once they move to OKC it gives them an opportunity to catch up with the growth that they have already had AND grow some more after that.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #1487
ZYXTulsa

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
I believe they will actually be bringing around 250 employees to Oklahoma City when they move next year and plan to triple in size within the first three years. That would mean up to an additional 500 employees at Continental's downtown OKC tower by 2015. Think that they have needed the additional employees for a long time, but haven't been able to attract them to Enid, so once they move to OKC it gives them an opportunity to catch up with the growth that they have already had AND grow some more after that.
Good, that's what I thought was gonna happen.
ZYXTulsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1488
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
That makes a LOT more sense. Had my numbers off.

-Jacques Barzun
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #1489
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

World Headquarters now in OKC,Harold Hamm CEO of Continental Resources say's he expects his company to triple in size within Five years,Article say's CR may be Devon's size within Five years barring a drop in barrel prices!Looks like OKC might have another giant Oil/Nat gas company in it's downtown!http://blogs.forbes.com/christopherh...rtner=yahootix
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1490
Dale

At the rate they're growing I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce a new tower of their own in the not-too distant future.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1491
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Dale,what's up?You have to be the best non-Okie pro OKC and Oklahoma poster on SSC!I Thank you!Good to have people with open non biased eyes in this forum!OKC could learn alot from your hometown!
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #1492
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Dale,what's up?You have to be the best non-Okie pro OKC and Oklahoma poster on SSC!I Thank you!Good to have people with open non biased eyes in this forum!OKC could learn alot from your hometown!
You know, I'm not sure what it is about OKC, but I do find it endearing. I almost feel like it's a home-away-from-home as much as I've put into the debate.

I think one thing is that OKC'ers seem to love their city. Another thing is just the way that OKC is 'setting the table', for future development, the way they're pouring money into public realm improvements. I know its downtown is ragged around-the-edges, but it's improving and beautifying leaps and bounds.

Re: Orlando, it may be the best downtown in FL in terms of the way the urban fabric coheres, the historic stock, the public realm, etc. And it offers lots of synergy. But Orlando DOES NOT have the civic or can-do spirit of OKC.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #1493
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Well Said!I think OKC and Oklahoma as a whole would kill for the kind of developments that Orlando and Florida get!I see a lot of similarities in OKC and Jacksonville(Minus the beach front)they both have great downtowns but struggle with sprawl,but are focussing on bringing back density to the core!

Last edited by dmoor82; June 28th, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #1494
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I hope they build more skyscrapers in OKC.
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #1495
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I hope they build more skyscrapers in OKC.
Devon's likely a one-off, a building remarkable in its scope for a town the size of OKC. But I predict several highrises this decade. And I'm keeping an eye on Sandridge and Mid-Resources.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #1496
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

" GO OKC! " Devon Tower's construction, just, proves that ' anything is possible ' throughout the USA.... even in, so-called, ' mid-major ' cities.

" Because money talks and bullshit walks! " - Richard Pryor
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #1497
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

just for fyi, SandRidge already has announced a new highrise for their campus - in addition to the new mid-rise that will be built in Kerr Park that will be their fitness and daycare center, and the retrofit/expansion of the Braniff Building.

For the life of some of us, we could not figure out why they tore down all of those buildings on the campus - because at the time they didn't say there would be replacements. but now, Tom Ward (ceo) has said they do plan to add more highrises - he didn't say how tall but I suspect something in the 20's range.

MidFirst Financial is almost a given in my opinion - given they are maxed out at their current space near the Classen/Nichols Hills area, Chesapeake has already bought everything surrounding them, except their two buildings (that are separated by a chesapeake building). Expect for a highrise to be built somewhere for MidFirst and/or at least their absorbing Devon's vacated space.

Continental Resources has purchased Mid America tower (devon's old hq) which is 320,000 sq feet. They expect all 250 employees to be there next year, and they expect to triple in size within 5 years, so they are thinking now about a new building OR absorbing all of Devon's vacated space (again, if they get it then MidFirst would need to build new or vice versa).

American Fidelity Assurance Company is based in OKC's Midtown district, in 3 buildings that I think total 300,000 square feet. They have expressed desire to come downtown, again - in Devon's vacated space and/or a new tower.

Chesapeake Energy is rumored to also desire some sort of downtown presence.

I also heard there might be a speculative Class A office tower (or more) as OKC converts class B and C space into residential and the demand for downtown grows. Who knows if or when this may happen, but I think it is highly likely just dont know the timeframe.

OKC is building a new convention center and it will have a highrise convention hotel. I dont know any specifics, but there might be more than one given what has happened in other markets.

Developer Nick Preftakes owns most of the block due west of Devon and there are rumors/plans for some sort of development, possibly residential high rise(s).

Developer Rick Dowell may also have some sort of highrise planned for NW downtown as he is trying to develop the midtown (downtown) section. NO specifics, just rumors.

So, if assuming all of the above comes true with at least one highrise, that would be eight new highrises, that haven't already been announced/rendered (this does not include the Sandridge Fitness midrise, since it was already rendered but does include the new highrise Tom Ward just announced).

There are more rumors/plans also, apparently according to others in the know. I think it is safe to say that OKC may well be coming on a building boom of some sort. Whether any will be any skyscrapers worthy of challenging Devon or the other OKC bigs, I don't know, but should make some good infill at the very least if any of it comes true.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1498
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
just for fyi, SandRidge already has announced a new highrise for their campus - in addition to the new mid-rise that will be built in Kerr Park that will be their fitness and daycare center, and the retrofit/expansion of the Braniff Building.

For the life of some of us, we could not figure out why they tore down all of those buildings on the campus - because at the time they didn't say there would be replacements. but now, Tom Ward (ceo) has said they do plan to add more highrises - he didn't say how tall but I suspect something in the 20's range.

MidFirst Financial is almost a given in my opinion - given they are maxed out at their current space near the Classen/Nichols Hills area, Chesapeake has already bought everything surrounding them, except their two buildings (that are separated by a chesapeake building). Expect for a highrise to be built somewhere for MidFirst and/or at least their absorbing Devon's vacated space.

Continental Resources has purchased Mid America tower (devon's old hq) which is 320,000 sq feet. They expect all 250 employees to be there next year, and they expect to triple in size within 5 years, so they are thinking now about a new building OR absorbing all of Devon's vacated space (again, if they get it then MidFirst would need to build new or vice versa).

American Fidelity Assurance Company is based in OKC's Midtown district, in 3 buildings that I think total 300,000 square feet. They have expressed desire to come downtown, again - in Devon's vacated space and/or a new tower.

Chesapeake Energy is rumored to also desire some sort of downtown presence.

I also heard there might be a speculative Class A office tower (or more) as OKC converts class B and C space into residential and the demand for downtown grows. Who knows if or when this may happen, but I think it is highly likely just dont know the timeframe.

OKC is building a new convention center and it will have a highrise convention hotel. I dont know any specifics, but there might be more than one given what has happened in other markets.

Developer Nick Preftakes owns most of the block due west of Devon and there are rumors/plans for some sort of development, possibly residential high rise(s).

Developer Rick Dowell may also have some sort of highrise planned for NW downtown as he is trying to develop the midtown (downtown) section. NO specifics, just rumors.

So, if assuming all of the above comes true with at least one highrise, that would be eight new highrises, that haven't already been announced/rendered (this does not include the Sandridge Fitness midrise, since it was already rendered but does include the new highrise Tom Ward just announced).

There are more rumors/plans also, apparently according to others in the know. I think it is safe to say that OKC may well be coming on a building boom of some sort. Whether any will be any skyscrapers worthy of challenging Devon or the other OKC bigs, I don't know, but should make some good infill at the very least if any of it comes true.
This is all excellent to hear. I do think that a residential tower may be coming soon as well.

-Jacques Barzun
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1499
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Hey Hot Rod...

At least here they haven't accused you of things yet, eh? I take it you're finished with "that other forum"?
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1500
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

yep, done with that, at least for a while - until all of the convention center/M3 crap calms down.

A few people have really turned that forum into a real zoo, not many ideas or ideals seem to be allowed, particularly if you dont think a certain way or speak anything different than what they want to hear or read or happen to like and vouch for plans from other countries.

not much at all for their mods/admin. too bad really, because it is good to get ideas and support out-of-the-box that is the 405.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city