daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #1501
Ocity

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
just for fyi, SandRidge already has announced a new highrise for their campus - in addition to the new mid-rise that will be built in Kerr Park that will be their fitness and daycare center, and the retrofit/expansion of the Braniff Building.

For the life of some of us, we could not figure out why they tore down all of those buildings on the campus - because at the time they didn't say there would be replacements. but now, Tom Ward (ceo) has said they do plan to add more highrises - he didn't say how tall but I suspect something in the 20's range.

MidFirst Financial is almost a given in my opinion - given they are maxed out at their current space near the Classen/Nichols Hills area, Chesapeake has already bought everything surrounding them, except their two buildings (that are separated by a chesapeake building). Expect for a highrise to be built somewhere for MidFirst and/or at least their absorbing Devon's vacated space.

Continental Resources has purchased Mid America tower (devon's old hq) which is 320,000 sq feet. They expect all 250 employees to be there next year, and they expect to triple in size within 5 years, so they are thinking now about a new building OR absorbing all of Devon's vacated space (again, if they get it then MidFirst would need to build new or vice versa).

American Fidelity Assurance Company is based in OKC's Midtown district, in 3 buildings that I think total 300,000 square feet. They have expressed desire to come downtown, again - in Devon's vacated space and/or a new tower.

Chesapeake Energy is rumored to also desire some sort of downtown presence.

I also heard there might be a speculative Class A office tower (or more) as OKC converts class B and C space into residential and the demand for downtown grows. Who knows if or when this may happen, but I think it is highly likely just dont know the timeframe.

OKC is building a new convention center and it will have a highrise convention hotel. I dont know any specifics, but there might be more than one given what has happened in other markets.

Developer Nick Preftakes owns most of the block due west of Devon and there are rumors/plans for some sort of development, possibly residential high rise(s).

Developer Rick Dowell may also have some sort of highrise planned for NW downtown as he is trying to develop the midtown (downtown) section. NO specifics, just rumors.

So, if assuming all of the above comes true with at least one highrise, that would be eight new highrises, that haven't already been announced/rendered (this does not include the Sandridge Fitness midrise, since it was already rendered but does include the new highrise Tom Ward just announced).

There are more rumors/plans also, apparently according to others in the know. I think it is safe to say that OKC may well be coming on a building boom of some sort. Whether any will be any skyscrapers worthy of challenging Devon or the other OKC bigs, I don't know, but should make some good infill at the very least if any of it comes true.

this is exciting!
Ocity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1502
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Hot Rod -

As I understand it, phase I of the streetcar is to start in 2013 and the convention center is supposed to start in 2014. Is that right ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1503
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

The exact timetable of all the MAPS3 Public Projects are not set in stone, a consulting firm hired by the city is presenting various master timelines for MAPS3. However, a lot of bickering has erupted between the Convention Center and Streetcar subcommittees and which project should be built first; quality of life versus economic development.

The catch with the MAPS projects is that all the tax monies must be collected for each individual project before it can proceed to full construction. The Convention Center obviously being the most expensive, would cause for many of the projects to be put off for at least 5 years if prioritized over the other 6 projects.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #1504
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof2010 View Post
The exact timetable of all the MAPS3 Public Projects are not set in stone, a consulting firm hired by the city is presenting various master timelines for MAPS3. However, a lot of bickering has erupted between the Convention Center and Streetcar subcommittees and which project should be built first; quality of life versus economic development.

The catch with the MAPS projects is that all the tax monies must be collected for each individual project before it can proceed to full construction. The Convention Center obviously being the most expensive, would cause for many of the projects to be put off for at least 5 years if prioritized over the other 6 projects.
And so that's where the consulting firm comes in, right ? Haven't they recommended compromises ? And if so, is the city council likely to adopt them ? Obviously something has to give.
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1505
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

the consulting firm is in bed with the convention center people. I believe there might be some sort of collusion as there is no mention of the streetcar at ALL from this so called independent consulting firm. They are set on the convention center and likely doctored their own criteria and survey to make the convention center and it's recommended site attractive, at the expense of other MAPS projects.

I hope the city council does not blow this, because it could have wide ranging effects for the future of MAPS and the progress of Oklahoma City.

My personal opinion, is the streetcar should be one of the first projects to start - so that it can coincide as much as possible with Project 180 (the redesign/development of all downtown streets and sidewalks) as well as the possible applicaiton for Federal funds (before they all dry up with the deficit balancing efforts forthcoming).

I don't really have anything against the convention center and I think OKC needs a new one, but it shouldn't be the BULLY for their committee to decide which other project gets done and how; and it is clear to me that there is some sort of conspiracy possibly going on with that committee, some business owners, and some council members (particularly those elected/re-elected that were sponsored by an agency chartered by the chamber).

Also, it is very preculiar the location that they want, considered PRIME real estate between OKC's downtown parks, on the new boulevard, across from the Ford Center. This land is privately owned that WAS a ford dealership but whose owners had rumored intent to develop retail/residential that OKC so severely lacks. Now, all of sudden, this spot is the one pushed by the cc committee (??) - over more attractive (cheaper, better located/positioned) locations on the East side of the new Central Park, North Bricktown, or East Bricktown. In each of these 3, the land is already owned by the city (or soon will be). The 'recommended' old Ford site is arguably the most prime/expensive potential UNDEVELOPED real estate currently in downtown. Why put a convention center there?

I dont get it and I hope the city doesn't make a HUGE painful mistake with this convention center, I don't care who is on that committee; its a mistake to build it on that prime land and it is a mistake to move the convention center construction ahead at the expense of other projects (like Streetcar, see my credible/relevant thoughts above). ....
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1506
Dale

Yes, but didn't the firm (or maybe someone else) propose a compromise that would move up the convention center start date while forging ahead with 'phase 1' if the streetcar ? Since there is a cacaphony of voices campaigning for the 'quality of life projects' I would think this is a palatable solution.
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #1507
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

why you guys have think this looks like dick.
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM   #1508
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_uk View Post
why you guys have think this looks like dick.
why you have think can string wait coherent thoughts baffles.
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM   #1509
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Yes, but didn't the firm (or maybe someone else) propose a compromise that would move up the convention center start date while forging ahead with 'phase 1' if the streetcar ? Since there is a cacaphony of voices campaigning for the 'quality of life projects' I would think this is a palatable solution.
Dale. The streetcar already has it's own committee. I'm sure they can manage their own proj and judging from known associates they are trying to coincide with proj 180 and secure fed funds. This means they DON'T need cc committee dictating who or what goes when. However it does mean the streetcar needs to be built first NOT the cc nor moved at the expense of the cc. Time is of the essence and time is now.

Hopefully the city will agree because those consultants were just puppets doing what the cc leaders wanted.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:22 AM   #1510
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Dale. The streetcar already has it's own committee. I'm sure they can manage their own proj and judging from known associates they are trying to coincide with proj 180 and secure fed funds. This means they DON'T need cc committee dictating who or what goes when. However it does mean the streetcar needs to be built first NOT the cc nor moved at the expense of the cc. Time is of the essence and time is now.

Hopefully the city will agree because those consultants were just puppets doing what the cc leaders wanted.
Yep.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #1511
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
why you have think can string wait coherent thoughts baffles.
I needed a laugh!
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1512
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

So guys... I'm in OKC right now visiting my "cousins" and I saw this thing... And I must say... DAMN! This thing right now is already twice the height of the tallest in my city and still has quite a ways to go. This thing is massive! :O
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1513
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Who cares about what has happened to our skyline since 1984? We have had multiple billions of dollars of development in the 3-4 story range to create whole new neighborhoods of dense, mixed use environments in the last 10 years. Also we have attracted the attention of the world by gaining an NBA team. Also we have TWO companies that have built over a million square feet of offices in this decade. An unbelievable amount of new medical/biotech research midrises have been built around downtown. We have had a new inner city shopping district spring out of nowhere in less than 3 years which consists exclusively of locally owned businesses supporting creativity and art.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1514
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

How about an awesome photo? From SSEiyah okctalk.com - I think 60ish feet to go.

image hosted on flickr
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #1515
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

I love that angle,I can see my apartment window from that pic!
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #1516
Sooners4Life
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 0

Wow. So the exact same sour grapes crap is going in the Devon thread here as the one over on SSP. Awesome. Even some of the exact same posters, lol. DZH22 is up to his usual shenanigans I see. Now where's that other guy to count pedestrians in my downtown pics?

Here are a few more shots I took last week approaching downtown from the west. iPhone/windshield/70 mph = not the best pics, but here they are. The people nitpicking about Devon looking disproportionate to the rest of the skyline will hate these since the views from the west make Devon look even taller, but you get a great view of the tower from I-40 in either direction.

Sooners4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1517
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1518
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

They grow up so fast. it seems like just yesterday when they first poured those columns
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1519
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
The Devon Tower makes you yawn?

Last edited by dmoor82; July 7th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #1520
Sooners4Life
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, the mods deleted all my photos of Devon that I posted. I see that the entire pointless argument about OKC was deleted, but couldn't my photos have stayed? Do I have to copyright them or something?
Sooners4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city