daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1721
MDot405

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Speaking of size, how large will the parking structure be? I'm assuming it will have sufficient height and space for multitudes of large 4x4 pickups with oversize tires. But will it have room for farm tractors and combines also?
It was more realistic with the 4x4 pickups with oversize tires but then you screwed it up with the farm tractor and combines comment. We have more SUV's and Crossovers here than anything else but the huge pickup trucks stand out more.
MDot405 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1722
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Speaking of size, how large will the parking structure be? I'm assuming it will have sufficient height and space for multitudes of large 4x4 pickups with oversize tires. But will it have room for farm tractors and combines also?
I think this is the proper mode of transportation in OKC.

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1723
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Do you consider yourself an ignorant person?
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1724
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Really?While this is funny, you do realize OKC will have an Urban Modern streetcar system up and running within 5-7 years!And by the way I myself,drive a Honda!
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1725
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller9 View Post
OKC is definitely a large city by american standards if you base it off its ~1.5 million metro population. The majority of american cities have much less people than this so statistically speaking, its large. NYC, Chicago, LA are all mega cities.
OKC isn't large at all. It's medium sized. Dallas has a metro population of 6.3 million. Now that's large.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1726
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
OKC isn't large at all. It's medium sized. Dallas has a metro population of 6.3 million. Now that's large.
As large as the Texas ego.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #1727
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Well,it's all relative,NYC,Chicago and LA make Dallas look small so your arguement over OKC is non relavant!There are Thousands of cities and town in the U.S.,OKC is the 31st largest city and 44th largest metro both in population,no matter how you look at it Oklahoma City is a large city,larger than Dallas No of course not but like I said it's all relative and bigger doesn't always equal to better!
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #1728
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
As large as the Texas ego.
That's a stereotype. All Texans do not have a large ego. People will believe anything they see on TV. LOL
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1729
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
That's a stereotype. All Texans do not have a large ego. People will believe anything they see on TV. LOL
keep telling yourself that,eventually you'll believe it!
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #1730
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
keep telling yourself that,eventually you'll believe it!
I'm so serious right now. Why would we have a large ego?
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #1731
daccounting
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
wow, so beautiful!
daccounting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #1732
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Yes, you come from a very big city, but im not talking about Dallas, im talking about statistics. How many cities are there in the US with significant populations (i.e. populations greater than say 100K)? According to the wiki link, there are 343 cities with a population of 100K or more. Since OKC is the 44th largest, it is in the top 12% by population of American cities over 100K, which it puts it in the "large" bracket by american standards.

Last edited by spiller9; September 19th, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1733
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

This is completely redefining the skyline. Before, you looked on the horizon and saw a large cluster of tall buildings. Now when you look at the skyline you see one tall building and a bunch of medium-sized buildings. It really gives the viewer a different perspective.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1734
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Spiller hit it on the nose.

- Aside -
OKC is a large city, no matter how you slice it. Are there larger cities, of course. But you have to start somewhere, and OKC is past the mid-sized city index and is a large city by all accounts.

Large cities start at 500,000 people and 1,000,000 metro. OKC with well over 580,000 (probably close to 600,000 now in 2011) in city limits and 1,380,000+ in metro is certainly well above those demarkations of large US city.

My take on this is, there are many metro areas that really don't belong there because they are tertiary areas of other metros. This artificially bumps OKC down to its 44 or 42 ranking (whatever it is now, since OKC made a jump in 2011). If you got rid of the Riverside(s), and other sprawl areas then OKC would probably be in the metro 30 just like it is central city. And like was said, that is in the top 12 percent, which is considered large.

As for Dallas, the city itself is large - twice as big as OKC's central city and almost as big as OKC's metro. However, it is not a mega city along the lines of New York and Chicago. However again, Dallas's metro is gigantic and I believe is #4 or #5 which would put it in the "US" mega-city classification, along with the world class boys of NY, Chi, LA, SF. So, do you classify Dallas as central city - Large, or do you classify Dallas as DFW - Mega (in the US), or do you classify Dallas as DFW on the world stage - midsized?

Again, depends on what you are ranking. And the same goes for OKC. When ranking US Cities/Metros, OKC is a large city (albeit likely at the beginning stages).
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1735
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Topping out ceremony for Devon tower set for Wednesday

from NewsOK

I could cry. I am excited yet saddened with the completion of this skyscraper. It is like seeing a baby grow up and leave the house. what started as an infant a big hole in the ground has grown up to a very nice young adult full of vigor, good looks, and great personality - that will represent his hometown nicely. I only hope that OKC soon plants more skyscraper babies so we can watch them grow, nurture them with our many visits online and in-person pics/films, and revel in the new skyscraper kids play-yard that is downtown OKC.

ahh, I am a bit saddened (with joy). .....
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1736
Lazio85

http://newsok.com/sandridge-looks-at...#ixzz1YWcIsD89

SandRidge looks at employing 2,000 downtown within five years as headquarters expansion continues
As SandRidge Energy celebrates its fifth anniversary, Chief Executive Officer Tom Ward is looking ahead at growth that will include a tripling of the downtown workforce and construction of a building equal in size to the 29-story SandRidge Building.

BY STEVE LACKMEYER [email protected]
Published: September 17, 2011
Lazio85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #1737
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

*sighs* My 'medium-sized city' is obviously a relative term. OKC is not a large city by US standards. And this is meant to be flattering to OKC.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM   #1738
okcpulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
*sighs* My 'medium-sized city' is obviously a relative term. OKC is not a large city by US standards. And this is meant to be flattering to OKC.
U.S. Census Bureau has defined the standards for how cities are classified.

100,000-199,999 small city
200,000-349,999 minor city
350,000-499,999 major city
500,000-999,999 large city
1,000,000+ burgh

This defines only the city proper, not suburbs included. Oklahoma City is a medium-sized metropolitan area. Once it passes 2.5 million it will be a major metro area. Greater than 4 million defines a large metro area.
okcpulse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:13 AM   #1739
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

*sighs again*
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM   #1740
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

image hosted on flickr

Downtown OKC by .Kayne., on Flickr