daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:32 AM   #1741
StuckInASuburb

Likes (Received): 11

nice tower, i just stumbled upon this very nice desiegn. does it have an observation deck?
StuckInASuburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM   #1742
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInASuburb View Post
nice tower, i just stumbled upon this very nice desiegn. does it have an observation deck?
Kinda,The 49th and 50th floors will be a resturant!
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:55 AM   #1743
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
*sighs again*
Stop sighing Dale!LOL,you live in one of the biggest tourist hotbeds of the entire world and your metro is about double OKC's,I'd consider Orlando a Major city,if not by it's metro population then it's atractions!
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM   #1744
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Stop sighing Dale!LOL,you live in one of the biggest tourist hotbeds of the entire world and your metro is about double OKC's,I'd consider Orlando a Major city,if not by it's metro population then it's atractions!
Yeah, but with Devon and Sandbridge, OKC will surely surpass Orlando as a mega world tourist destination.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM   #1745
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Yeah, but with Devon and Sandbridge, OKC will surely surpass Orlando as a mega world tourist destination.
come on now your just getting plain silly!
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1746
philphil60

Likes (Received): 0

Now that's a Skyline!!
philphil60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM   #1747
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

actually, for a city as huge as it is, the skyline is a tad on the puny side. this skyscraper is one giant leap in the right direction though. i am sure it is a turning point for this skyline and many more big and wonderful things are sure to come. btw. i think this building has one of the if not the actual, nicest podium of any building that is under construction anywhere. EAP (eight avenue place) in Calgary is done by the same folks and it too has a great podium. the tower there is top notch as well. this is a top of the line skyscraper and it really makes the Oklahoma city skyline shine. it has raised the bar for any developers in the area. they now have something to gauge there developments by. it wont be so easy to build crappy towers around there anymore. just like EAP, and even more-so, the Bow tower, have done for Calgary. don't even think of coming to Calgary/Oklahoma City, and proposing a big ugly tower anymore. not now that they have both seen what real class AA office space looks like. their downtown planing Bord will send you packing. haha
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1748
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Can we stop all the "large city" boosterism? It's embarrassing.

To define a place as a "large city" there are many requirements beyond mere population size that Oklahoma City does not meet. It does not have 2 or more major sports franchises. It does not have iconic structures or a skyline that people throughout the country would see and immediately think "Oklahoma City". It does not have any cultural institutions known and revered beyond its very small region, nor can it claim any unique cultural identifiers (e.g. there is no "Oklahoma City school" of architecture, "Oklahoma City style" pizza, etc.). It has a relatively miniscule GMP. The city has no nationally-known celebrities living in it. The "downtown" could be walked end to end in 5 minutes. It has no tourist attractions that can draw beyond 100 miles, much less internationally. I could go on and on. Large city? Not by any stretch. Clearly Oklahoma City could never hope to be any more than a medium-sized city at best. But that doesn't mean it can't be a pleasant place to live.

Oklahoma City is the tiniest city ever to get a 800+ ft skyscraper. The several residents of the city should take pride in that.

Last edited by DFDalton; September 21st, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1749
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

some one doesn't have a life.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #1750
MDot405

Last edited by MDot405; September 21st, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
MDot405 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM   #1751
MDot405

Oh and if Oklahoma City is the "tiniest city" to ever get an 800+ skyscraper then we must be doing something right, right?
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1752
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

To define a place as a "large city" there are many requirements beyond mere population size that Oklahoma City does not meet. It does not have 2 or more major sports franchises. It does not have iconic structures or a skyline that people throughout the country would see and immediately think "Oklahoma City". It does not have any cultural institutions known and revered beyond its very small region, nor can it claim any unique cultural identifiers (e.g. there is no "Oklahoma City school" of architecture, "Oklahoma City style" pizza, etc.). It has a relatively miniscule GMP. The city has no nationally-known celebrities living in it. The "downtown" could be walked end to end in 5 minutes. It has no tourist attractions that can draw beyond 100 miles, much less internationally. I could go on and on. Large city? Not by any stretch. Clearly Oklahoma City could never hope to be any more than a medium-sized city at best. But that doesn't mean it can't be a pleasant place to live.

Oklahoma City is the tiniest city ever to get a 800+ ft skyscraper. The several residents of the city should take pride in that.
I didnt realise a city had to have known celebrities living there in order for it to be considered large.

Do you know the difference between "large" and "iconic"? obviously not.

idiot.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1753
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

I think it's time for a mod to step in here and give a warning.

This is ridiculous.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1754
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

He's trolling, report his post, don't take it so personally, and move on.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1755
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
some one doesn't have a life.
Early I had requested that you stay classy. Now I realize that that's cutting against the grain for you. Apologies for imposing.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1756
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

DF, I think your description is for MEGA City, because all of what you describe sounds very much like the city of Chicago - which is a mega-world city. NOBODY ever claimed that OKC was a mega-world city on those lines, we all just recognized that OKC is a large US City, which has near 600,000 residents city proper and has a nice GROWING population and list of attractions that many people (including DF) does not know or realize.

OKC doesn't really trumpet its horn much and does NOT advertise almost at all. But I think as people visit or see the city on tv moreso, they will begin to associate OKC moreso than before as one of the large cities of the US. OKC may be one of the smallest major cities, but it is large by almost every definition - so realize that and let's celebrate the city's first really tall/beautiful skyscraper!!!

By the way, there are MANY world known celebrities living in OKC and it's metro area, take the blinders off. And it takes about 1 minute to walk one block in downtown OKC, and last I checked, there were many square blocks that constituted downtown - many more than just the CBD (which itself is compact but will take longer than 5 minutes to walk). And what is it with this "OKC can never hope to be any more than mid-sized" stuff? Did all of the other major cities just pop-up one day with metro areas over 2 million people? I think all cities started somewhere, including New York City. Just look at Dallas, at one point not too long ago, OKC and Dallas had very similar populations (see Austin similarly, and Las Vegas and Phoenix were significantly smaller than OKC not too long ago, and Salt Lake STILL IS smaller than OKC - but is in the club of large cities nonetheless). ...

It is not boosterism, in fact - it is INFORMATION. ... since many people probably don't know or realize and these points are being made saliently on a thread about its new tallest (and NOT on every forum/newspaper around - which would be boosterism).

Last edited by Hot Rod; September 21st, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:20 PM   #1757
MDot405

Hot Rod, just for the sake of asking but isn't Oklahoma City larger than St. Louis as well?
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1758
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

St Louis metro is bigger and they have the all important, 3 major sports teams lol.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1759
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

okc is larger than many central cities - but in all fairness, those said central cities are smaller in geography usually, and MUCH MORE DENSE - ie. STL, New Orleans, KC (I think), ATL; all are smaller in population in city limits but their limits are smaller.

And yes, it is very true those cities are larger in metro than OKC. KC is almost 700K larger, STL is a little more than double.

But the key is, we're talking city limits when we say large city, and OKC surely beats the 500K cut-off, even if you trim out 250 sq miles of rural/watershed it would still have almost the same 600K population that it has WITH all those 622 sq miles. I would tend to agree that OKC is a mid-sized metro area until it surpasses 1.5 million (probably 5 years) and definitely a mid-sized city/metro on the world stage (MOST US cities in fact, that are 'large/major' in US categorization would be mid-sized in the world stage).

On a similar but constructive note:

I, for one, wish OKC would trim off the waste, er umm - watershed, and the state allow ACOG/Oklahoma County to zone/manage those lands with OKC Water Trust the right to manage the resources. I am sure this is why OKC includes such a large area of nothing, so it can directly control the water, but there must be a better way to do it than artificially inflating the city limits. ...

I think OKC's density would double to 2,000 people per sq mile if the rural/watershed was trimmed out as there are certainly areas in the city with significant density both in the inner city and suburban sectors. By trimming out the rural, we could focus services where the people are and still have significant growth opportunities without creating more sprawl (as people today are chosing to live closer and closer to the watershed and rural/ranches).
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1760
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Construction Workers Celebrate Devon Tower In OKC

Dana Hertneky, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Devon Tower is a major milestone for the Downtown Skyline. It has reached its peak and construction workers will celebrate with a topping out ceremony Wednesday.

The ceremony is for the 1200 to 1400 construction workers who have been working on the tower.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city