daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM   #1
iampuking

Likes (Received): 2

Ugliest Metro Station

What is the ugliest/grimmest metro station in your city, or any city?

I'll show some of the ugliest in London.

Mile End

image hosted on flickr

Stepney Green

image hosted on flickr

Moorgate

image hosted on flickr

Euston Square

image hosted on flickr

Gunnersbury

image hosted on flickr
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2008, 06:01 AM   #2
lipe_andreense

Likes (Received): 420

Many of the first station are pretty ugly in São Paulo, but in my opinion, Paraíso Station is the ugliest, in Line 1

and also Luz Station:

Old August 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM   #3
sweek

Likes (Received): 0

When it was being built before World War I, Chambers Street was envisioned as a City Hall terminal, a kind of downtown Grand Central at a time when the business and population center of the city was still closer to the southern end of the island. Three years after it opened, its four wide platforms were so overcrowded that one newspaper article described them as more dangerous during the rush hours than at the Grand Central or the Fourteenth Street Stations.
But by the mid-1920s, the subway itself was pushing the city's population north and leaving Chambers Street behind. By as early as the 1930s, in fact, the station's ridership had dropped off so steeply that half of it was closed.
Walking around the station now, it seems as if half of the station has not been cleaned or repaired since the 1930s, either. Platforms are piled deep with the detritus of the years — an old push broom, a broken umbrella, a toaster and several foothills of soda bottles, all of which could be precisely dated according to the depth of the dark-brown steel dust coating them. In one part of the platform, an original Heins and LaFarge terra cotta plaque of the Brooklyn Bridge seems to have been crowbarred off the wall. In another, the yellowish-white water damage is so extensive it appears that a crew of C.H.U.D.s has tried to eat its way to daylight.

—Randy Kennedy, "They're Subway Experts. Take Their Word on What's Ugly," The New York Times,

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Timon91
Error

Boston has some very ugly ones on the green line.
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1403

Its interesting that the ugliest stations in London are of a similar design to most stations in New York and even then look brighter / more cheerful. There is something quite opressive about the flat roof and columns layout of Mile End which is also the absolute standard for the NYC Subway.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2593

I can absolutely vouch for the ugliness of Euston Square. Early morning waits just after network opening for a tube to Paddington (for the Heathrow Express) to make an early morning flight make me cringe.

Mind you, anything is better than our "metro" stations in Auckland! We've only got commuter rail, but you guys might as well have a look:

Firstly Ellerslie Train station (pretty standard look for Auckland railway stations. This was burned down by an arson attack recently and so has been redeveloped). Look also at our lovely stylish DMU's!

The footbridge and the location (next to the busiest motorway in New Zealand) unfortunately hasn't changed.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM   #7
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
When it was being built before World War I, Chambers Street was envisioned as a City Hall terminal, a kind of downtown Grand Central at a time when the business and population center of the city was still closer to the southern end of the island. Three years after it opened, its four wide platforms were so overcrowded that one newspaper article described them as more dangerous during the rush hours than at the Grand Central or the Fourteenth Street Stations.
But by the mid-1920s, the subway itself was pushing the city's population north and leaving Chambers Street behind. By as early as the 1930s, in fact, the station's ridership had dropped off so steeply that half of it was closed.
Walking around the station now, it seems as if half of the station has not been cleaned or repaired since the 1930s, either. Platforms are piled deep with the detritus of the years — an old push broom, a broken umbrella, a toaster and several foothills of soda bottles, all of which could be precisely dated according to the depth of the dark-brown steel dust coating them. In one part of the platform, an original Heins and LaFarge terra cotta plaque of the Brooklyn Bridge seems to have been crowbarred off the wall. In another, the yellowish-white water damage is so extensive it appears that a crew of C.H.U.D.s has tried to eat its way to daylight.

—Randy Kennedy, "They're Subway Experts. Take Their Word on What's Ugly," The New York Times,

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Christ, disused stations in London look nicer than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Its interesting that the ugliest stations in London are of a similar design to most stations in New York and even then look brighter / more cheerful. There is something quite opressive about the flat roof and columns layout of Mile End which is also the absolute standard for the NYC Subway.
It's definately the flat roof that does it, mostly where it is left undecorated, Bow Road for example has recently been refurbished and the roof has been cleaned and painted and it looks great. The only deep level stations that are that bad are maybe Holland Park? The old Shepherd's Bush (Central line) was also pretty grim...

Oh yes, and Redbridge, how could I forget! I think this is probably the worst, it's even worse than the others as it's nearly always deserted, that just makes it creepy.

image hosted on flickr

Holland Park

image hosted on flickr

Old Shepherd's Bush (station is closed for refurbishment currently), it's also interesting in that the platforms overlap, unlike any other tube station

image hosted on flickr

I've always hated the colour combination at Piccadilly Circus, too

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iampuking; August 21st, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #8
sweek

Likes (Received): 0

I know. London's stations are all very high quality, really. This is part of the same station in New York, Chambers Street. I believe this is now closed but you can still see it from the other platforms as this was taken in 2006.

sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 79

^

respect....now I know why americans like commuting with suvs
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

No stations can be uglier than QT8 in Milan.
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM   #11
X38

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I know. London's stations are all very high quality, really. This is part of the same station in New York, Chambers Street. I believe this is now closed but you can still see it from the other platforms as this was taken in 2006.

[img]*horrible picture*[/img]
Jesus Christ, is that station in service???!! Here in Antwerp, we have "sleeping" sation who are looking cleaner than this...
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM   #12
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
No stations can be uglier than QT8 in Milan.
any pics?
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM   #13
RawLee

Likes (Received): 233

KöKi(Kőbánya-Kispest) metro station,the disgrace of Budapest,where every tourist arrives who comes from the airport via BKV:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(apart from 1,all from flickr)
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #14
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 12

Pretty ugly station in Auckland! About on par with some of Melbourne's!!!

Atleast that station will probably have some kind of rebuilding with electrification in the next few years!
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM   #15
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 637

Quote:

Jeeeeezus!

How can you let people use a station like that... it's below 3rd world standard. I knew stations in NYC were bad, but not that bad.

Even if it was 'the worst of the worst', it's still mind boggling to think that the MTA allowed that station to be in use whilst in such a condition.

And Iampuking, I'm a huge fan of Piccadilly station, leave it alone!

The station at Heathrow for terminals 1, 2 and 3 is terrible I think. It could and should be much better. Am yet to see the one at T4 and T5.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM   #16
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 637

The District Line station at Victoria Station in London always used to make me feel a bit ill actually. The west bound platform is tiny and gets so crowded. I left London 2 years ago though, maybe it's changed...

Old August 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM   #17
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5259

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
How can you let people use a station like that... it's below 3rd world standard. I knew stations in NYC were bad, but not that bad.
Half of that station is closed. This is the part you can see in these pictures. It's fugly and dirty, agreed, but how the hell can one imagine that those platforms are still in use when they look like that?!

It's part of the BMT Nassau Street Line and it's serviced by J, M and Z trains. It has two other sister station nearby. One, Chambers Street–World Trade Center, on the IND Eighth Avenue Line is serviced by the A, C and E trains. The other, Chambers Street, on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line, is serviced by the 1,2 and 3 trains.

Here's the map, so you have a better understanding...
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM   #18
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 19

Pretty much all the stations in Edmonton are all fugly as hell.
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM   #19
lipe_andreense

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I can absolutely vouch for the ugliness of Euston Square. Early morning waits just after network opening for a tube to Paddington (for the Heathrow Express) to make an early morning flight make me cringe.

Mind you, anything is better than our "metro" stations in Auckland! We've only got commuter rail, but you guys might as well have a look:

Firstly Ellerslie Train station (pretty standard look for Auckland railway stations. This was burned down by an arson attack recently and so has been redeveloped). Look also at our lovely stylish DMU's!

The footbridge and the location (next to the busiest motorway in New Zealand) unfortunately hasn't changed.

it looks like some CPTM lines here in São Paulo, buit for suburban trains in 1930's

Old August 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:

people get sick easily if they visit such a station. looks like a sewer
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote