daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 21

Swan Shopping Centre | Church Road/Coventry Road | Yardley | Tesco Development | U/C

I couldn't find a thread on this, so I started one.
Planning App no. C/06439/07/FUL

I noticed that the Oaklands recreation ground is starting to be marked out, so I had a look at the plans, viola, it is the new dual carriageway that is to be built first, and is being marked out. I didn't realise how major the work was going to be.

Current Site Plan

Redevelopment Site Plan

Main Entrance - Church Road (opposite carpark)

Non-food Entrance - Opposite Equipoint (under Bakeman House).

Secondary Entrance - Coventry Road

Last edited by NeilM; August 23rd, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
NeilM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Oh my word... I thought they were just widening the road, not fully realigning it! That surface car park is disgusting - definitely going to be come a race track some time after 11pm . The work to the Swan Centre is definitely an improvement but it all looks cheap and tacky. The refurb of Bakeman House looks quite Topcliffe House-esque too.

I have to say, I am totally shocked at how major this is. I can see why Tesco had to pay such huge S106 payments! Church Road will never be the same again. I'll cherish the memories of riding my bike with my mates up from the Yew Tree and grabbing some cheap crap in the market before trying to do some [un]impressive air on the mounds of grass outside... Yeah.

Thanks for starting the thread though. I think UV is from Yardley so maybe he could give us a couple of updates and I seem to remember another forumer (maybe Ginger Tosser) being from the area too...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 114

wow, would have looked a lot better if the parking was underground
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #4
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
(maybe Ginger Tosser) being from the area too...
Yep, guilty. I've been meaning to visit the centre for a while. Just need to find my crash helmet and gun.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #5
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 101

I grew up in Sheldon and had a load a mates in Yardley. I've trawled up and down Church Road on my bike loads - there used to be a record shop along there.

That is a major change but it does need it!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
ultraviolet

Likes (Received): 0

Pretty major stuff, I didn't realise it was so huge.

Been away for a week so not seen them marking out the new road, I'll try and get some pictures soon of the site as it is now, and hopefully keep updating, Bakeman House looks a monster now it's covered up.
ultraviolet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Good to see they are getting rid of the old petrol station as well. I think that briefly became a used car dealership. I remember them doing the de-commissioning work to the petrol station - it's the only time I've ever seen that happen. Having a closer look at the plans, I am also happy to see the area in front of the terraced houses on the east side of Church Road getting a nice new frontage. They look terrible at the moment, especially as there is no proper parking for them. It's just a shame that they'll get a view of a great big car park!

Does anyone remember the houses on the road coming off the west side of Church Road, which now goes off into the park?
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
brum2003

Likes (Received): 98

Driving from the airport today I noticed that the residential tower block has begun its refurb, all white like the park central blocks...love the primary colours, very Mondrian
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM   #9
ultraviolet

I remember them, the roads blocked off now but somehow the locals get the cars down there to park.

It'll be nice to see this moving at last, all that's been done in the last year or so is the knocking down the few houses adjacent to the centre, I'm expecting a bit of chaos during works though.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #10
The Concerned Potato
Desperate for a Wii

horrible.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #11
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Not sure, but I think they are starting to peel the wrapping of Bakeman House, as the top 2 floor were visible, very white.

Just to mention also, across the Swan Island, the old Staples/B&Q/Tram Depot is to become a Farmfoods, they have kept the original structure of the tram depot though thankfully, not that you could see it anyway, and wont beable to see it now, lol.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 5

Theres a load of new fence posts in the current wooded/overgrown area, I guess they'll be clearing this soon.

Must get some shots.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Staples has shut down? Crap, I was going to go there tomorrow! Good to know I wasn't about to waste a journey...

Old August 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #14
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555
Staples has shut down? Crap, I was going to go there tomorrow! Good to know I wasn't about to waste a journey...
Staples shut down last year Erebus, it was derilict for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tosser
Theres a load of new fence posts in the current wooded/overgrown area, I guess they'll be clearing this soon.
Yep, that is why I started this thread, it is the outline of the new dual carridge way, which will be built before anything else.
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #15
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 96

why the hell do they need 718 car park spaces?

in case anyone's interested here's' the design of the tesco store which is opening at the fox and goose

N/04161/08/RES

why are we building so many more supermarkets theres so many has it is
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #16
pirlo_21

why the hell do they need 718 car park spaces?

in case anyone's interested here's' the design of the tesco store which is opening at the fox and goose

N/04161/08/RES

N/04147/05/OUT

why are we building so many more supermarkets theres so many has it is
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

If I remember rightly, there is only one supermarket in Yardley and that is the Co-op, and that I don't think that's much of a size. There was a Kwik Save but I don't know what's happened to that in the wake of Kwik Save calling in the administrators. There's an Asda supermarket off on the outskirts of Small Heath where it meets Tyseley. I think this is well placed and all the complaints about it taking all the business off the Kwik Save seem pointless now. Shame it has to be a Tesco though...

Old August 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #18
pirlo_21

theres already a tesco's near yardly as soon to be opening aldi, and a co-op there too
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #19
ultraviolet

Very true, I think this will be a major success, the area is desperate for a supermarket, Asda in Small Heath or Morrisons in Castle Brom are the two nearest, I'd have prefered Sainsburys to have won the battle though. Wonder if the Tesco down the road in Sheldon will close now, it's a nightmare of a store with a car park way too small and traffic queing back onto the Cov Rd!
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #20
ultraviolet

A quick update from this morning, didn't get time to get the wooden posts or inside of the old tram depot so I'll try and get back this week.

The depressing view from the ground

Tags
retail, retail development

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: