daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM   #1
bhopalus

Likes (Received): 11

CHOWRINGHEE | The 42 | 245m | 62 fl | Residential | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijeetb View Post
DEVELOPER: Diamond Group
DESIGNER: Design Cell

Unnamed Diamond Group Tower -- Chowringhee, Kolkata

Tallest in town & country
- 250m office tower in heart of the city

Quote:
Calcutta — and India — will get its tallest building at 250 metres when a commercial property comes up on Chowringhee, next to Tata Centre.

The tower, to rise to a height equivalent to 83 storeys, will be the city’s first run in the construction Olympics that is dominated by Burj Dubai at 636m.

“We will actually construct 54 floors, but at 250m, it will easily be the tallest commercial structure in the country, its height corresponding to an 83-storey tower,” says A.N. Shroff, the leader of the consortium Diamond Group that is developing the building.

To come up on the vacant land that was once the proposed site for a Grand Hyatt, the 54-storey structure will tower over the Chowringhee skyline, housing 10 levels of car parking at the base and a helipad on top.

The tallest building planned in the city before this was the Life Insurance Corporation’s 50-storey commercial structure on the Bypass.

Shroff had purchased around five bighas that belonged to the Maharaja of Darbhanga in 1993 from the high court, and the Diamond Group later bought another portion. The company is in the process of acquiring another contiguous chunk to enable access to the property from Middleton Street as well.

While Burj Dubai is the tallest structure in the world in all four of the criteria listed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the Imperial Towers in Mumbai, at 60 storeys, is the tallest India has till date.

“The Chowringhee building will have many firsts, like a 4.2m floor-to-ceiling height, a grand entrance lobby 42ft high, a sky garden on the 29th level, restaurants on the 50th and 51st floors and three levels of viewing galleries above that,” says Vinoo Chadha, principal architect for the project.

His city-based Design Cell has designed the tower, which tapers off at the top, and will have a programmed illumination system to project varied fašade views at different times during the night, showing just a brilliant blue streak along the spine at 2am.

“All necessary structural precautions are being taken, including the seismic load factor,” said Chaddha.

Structural expert Joseph P. Colaco from Ottawa is doing the structural design along with local structural engineer Sanjeev Parekh. Construction, outsourced from a Singapore firm, is expected to take 24 to 30 months from the date of sanction.

With the land cost at Rs 432 crore, construction is estimated to cross Rs 200 crore. “We want this building to be the calling card of contemporary Calcutta, and will bring in services to match the grandeur of the structure, like the rooftop helipad,” said Shroff.

The tower will yield 35-36 floors of office space, with a food court and convention centre spanning three levels.
whoops arijeetb, i didn't realize you posted this already

Last edited by bhopalus; August 23rd, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
bhopalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #2
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 191

bhopalus - thanks for the initiative

The news was posted in the projects update thread sometime back and I think it may take sometime to get things moving for this project. Let us wait n watch!
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 173

This is awesome. I think this will definitely get built. calcutta already has tons to 40-F towers u/c right now. Uping the count by another 15-F aint much. Its highly doable.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Pince1AndOnly
Dubai to Mumbai

Likes (Received): 0

I think there is a big chance of getting this built. 250 Metres is perfect for calcutta
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 160

Calcutta finally gets a new tallest building proposal at 250 metres. They may still need a supertall though.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 61

Is this latest incarnation of Diamond Group's proposed 41-floor "Diamond Top" tower from two years ago?

Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 4165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Is this latest incarnation of Diamond Group's [B]
No. The two are entirely different proposals. The Diamond top is south of CBD on Gurusaday Road. This new proposal is in the CBD. It was the proposed site of Grand Hyatt which didn't materialize.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Jai

Sun,

Did the proposal for the Grand Hyatt have any height info or renderings? Has there been any movement on the Diamond Top project? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can start a thread on that proposal as well

BTW, just realized DT is a residential proposal, while this is commercial. Should've tipped me off
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #9
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Sun,

Did the proposal for the Grand Hyatt have any height info or renderings? Has there been any movement on the Diamond Top project? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can start a thread on that proposal as well

BTW, just realized DT is a residential proposal, while this is commercial. Should've tipped me off

Jai,

There has not been any movement on DT. Even a few months ago there was a scale model of DT at one of their project sites which some buyers have expressed interest ( as I was told) , but they have presently removed it from there which gives the impression that they may have stopped advertising till the approval is obtained. I see no reason why DT cannot happen, but it may just be stuck in the quagmire of bureacratic processes.

Once it is approved we can start a thread and track it through completion.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #10
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 107

I thought that the Tardeo Imperial towers (301m) are the tallest buildings in INdia.
This building is 50 meters shorter.
How can they call every new building over 50 stories the tallest in India.
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #11
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBoredNow View Post
I thought that the Tardeo Imperial towers (301m) are the tallest buildings in INdia.
This building is 50 meters shorter.
How can they call every new building over 50 stories the tallest in India.

They can be ignored. Apparently got carried away and did not do much research
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Jai

Thanks for the info guys

I'm clueless about Kolkata developments. Would any of you be interested in contributing some posts on projects there in the Indian Skyscraper blog?

ImBoredNow,
My guess as to how the newspaper claimed the tallest building tag is that they misunderstood the company's 'tallest commercial tower' claim. Even that claim is sketchy.

Although compared to India's tallest completed commercial skyscraper (World Trade Center Tower 1 in Mumbai at ~150m) this proposal is significantly taller, there are quite a lot of taller commerical skyscraper proposals around in the country, with towers in Mumbai, GIFT and Hyderabad all vying for the tallest. Many of these towers seem to be further along than this one in the approval process.

I can understand why the developer would want to create some hype though. And any developer competing for the goal of 'India's tallest' should be lauded.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #13
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 4165

Quote:
Sun,

Did the proposal for the Grand Hyatt have any height info or renderings? Has there been any movement on the Diamond Top project?
Not that I am aware of.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #14
India101

Likes (Received): 1778

Oh! I never knew there was a thread for this tower.
India101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
India101

I'm guessing.
███████
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #16
sourav2010

Likes (Received): 37

Tallest building near Tata Centre

It seems that the project has not got cancelled. I am having office in a building adjacent to this plot and have seen that a site office has come up in the location and some construction materials are also slowly being piled up there. It is being done by Diamond Group only.

The most significant development,in this respect is that the famous ''Fountain Court'' building on Little Russel Street (the road at the backyard of this mammoth plot) has been pulled down,which is probably been done to make way for another entry to this plot from the side-by roads.

Will try to post some pics very soon...
sourav2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #17
India101

Really? Can you confirm that is it this tower? I hope it is.

Anyway. The site from Google Earth -

(I don't know if that building is on the site. In the render it shows in gone and something else is on the same spot)
███████
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #18
sourav2010

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by India101 View Post
Really? Can you confirm that is it this tower? I hope it is.

Anyway. The site from Google Earth -

(I don't know if that building is on the site. In the render it shows in gone and something else is on the same spot)
Yes.You have correctly marked the site location,it is between the Tata Centre and LIC Building on Chowringhee Road, although I doubt whether this google earth pic is updated or not, because probably it is still showing the Fountain Court building.

Anyways, my friend Abhishek Sadhya,has recently taken some good shots of this place from his camera and he would be updating you with them,all very soon..
sourav2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #19
India101

^No thats is a very old image. Either 2008 or 9.
███████
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #20
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav2010 View Post
Yes.You have correctly marked the site location,it is between the Tata Centre and LIC Building on Chowringhee Road, although I doubt whether this google earth pic is updated or not, because probably it is still showing the Fountain Court building.

Anyways, my friend Abhishek Sadhya,has recently taken some good shots of this place from his camera and he would be updating you with them,all very soon..
sourav, thanks for the update. So, they have pulled down a seemingly 10+ storey building just to make an entrance from Russel street? Speaks volumes of the amount of money involved in this project. Waiting for the pics....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: