daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
Poland 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM   #121
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

Five candidates for EURO 2012

UEFA today announced that five bid dossiers to host the final tournament of the 2012 UEFA European Championship have been submitted to European football's governing body before yesterday's closing date.

Bid deadline
The national associations of Croatia/Hungary (joint bid), Greece, Italy, Poland/Ukraine (joint bid) and Turkey have handed their bid dossiers to UEFA by the stipulated deadline. Russia, Romania and Azerbaijan had previously expressed an interest but have not pursued their bids.

Extensive evaluation
"UEFA is delighted with the interest shown in hosting one of the world biggest sporting events and will now make an extensive evaluation of the dossiers," UEFA said.

December 2006 decision
The UEFA Executive Committee will then reduce the number of candidates to three on 7 November 2005. The final decision on the host(s) of UEFA EURO 2012 will be taken by the Executive Committee in December 2006.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/Kind=1...Id=319205.html

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM   #122
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de
Five candidates for EURO 2012

Russia, Romania and Azerbaijan had previously expressed an interest but have not pursued their bids.

Interesting Russia did not pursue the bid...
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM   #123
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

good, thats one less superpower to worry about

Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:21 AM   #124
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

that must be the Antalya Project (38.000-40.600)

Old November 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #125
Varsben

Likes (Received): 340

The following bids have passed preliminary screening:

Italy, Hungary/Croatia, Poland/Ukraine.

Greece and Turkey were excluded.

Final decision will be made on 8th December 2006.
Varsben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #126
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Uefa reveals Euro 2012 shortlist
European Championship trophy
Greece won the last European Championship in 2004
Uefa has named a shortlist of three candidates to host the European Championship in 2012.

Italy and joint bids from Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine made the final list, with the decision on the hosts to be made in December 2006.

European football's governing body rejected bids from Greece and Turkey.

Switzerland/Austria will host the 13th European Championship in 2008, an event which began back in 1960 and has had nine different winners.

Greece were the surprise package of last year's tournament, beating hosts Portugal 1-0 to win their first major football championship.

The first European Championship was won by the USSR, while Germany lead the way with the most number of wins - three.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #127
EllasOle

Likes (Received): 4

This voting was clearly flawed. I won't complain about Greece not making the final 3 because we seemed to be just a little more serious about this than Russia. The Croatia-Hungary and Poland-Ukraine bids have some HUGE flaws and it is shocking that both made the final 3, but they both still get more votes than Turkey. Italy pulled a fast one and got rid of their biggest threat which was Turkey. Euro 2008 voting was fixed and now Euro 2012 has us leaving that something similar happened. I feel most sorry for Turkey who had the best stadiums in their bid. What bothers me is that people complain about the Greeks and the Athens Olympics because of biased news stories. Euro 2008 had some HUGE organization problems regarding a stadium in Zurich but no one comes and says that the Swiss are lazy and unorganized people.
EllasOle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #128
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

hard luck greece and istanbul....does it mean they not good enough or just not the right hostsfor 2012?
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #129
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
hard luck greece and istanbul....does it mean they not good enough or just not the right hostsfor 2012?
Istanbul

actually Turkeys bid/presentation was one of the best
its more a political decision

EURO 2012 evaluation report
http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/362039.pdf

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #130
Filipe_Golias
Biochem Guy

Likes (Received): 3

Surprising shortlist. I actually expected (like many, perhaps) that the joint bids would be left behind.

I'm sad for Turkey - they were my choice, had great stadia and one of the biggest support levels at the evaluation report. It only missed the shortlist by ONE vote!

Italy was foreseable... wonder if they will really get it in the end.

Greece coming last with only TWO votes is another surprise. Yet it showed low support levels in the report. Perhaps UEFA didn't want it to guarantee the country another period of intense sport facilities renewal? Dunno

Congrats to the joint-bidders! I'm happy in part for Croatia who showed tremendous support and desire to get the hosting rights.

Filipe_Golias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #131
Christos7

I am completely shocked that Turkey did not make the final 3. This is amazing and is pure BS imo.... They had the 2nd best bid after Italy. I am not suprised we didn't make the top 3. Now, no offense to anyone, but if you read the evaluations reports that were published, it's a downright joke the final 3.... Ukraine/Poland lacked alot of infastructure involved.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #132
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Political dimension
"We made a presentation of the technical evaluation to the Executive Committee, who added the political dimension in taking the decision," said UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson. "We reached a decision in the first ballot. A new dossier should be submitted [by the candidates] to UEFA at the end of May 2006, and now all the site visits will take place. There will be a final decision to appoint the hosts for 2012 in December 2006."

EXCO message
Mr Olsson said the choice of the joint Poland/Ukraine bid sent a message from the Executive Committee that the possibility of organising the final round in the eastern part of Europe should be assessed. "They are now catching up with the western part, so it makes it possible to organise this kind of big event," said the CEO.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/k...Id=364810.html

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #133
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

What kind of stadiums does Italy have? Currently they certainly can't host this kind of event.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #134
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #135
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
Italy! Its stadiums are the best of all those:
Olympic Stadium- Rome- 82,000

San Siro- Milan- 85,700

Delle Alpi- Torino- 71,000 (its capacity will increase by building seats on the running-track)

San Nicola Stadium- Bari- 58,300

San Paolo Stadium- Napoli- 72,800

Those stadiums are all horribly outdated (except for Milan and even that stadium could use a make over). And the Delle Alpi will get a lower capacity if I remember correctly, since Juve definitely doesn't need an 80,000 seater.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #136
Varsben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
I am completely shocked that Turkey did not make the final 3. This is amazing and is pure BS imo.... They had the 2nd best bid after Italy. I am not suprised we didn't make the top 3. Now, no offense to anyone, but if you read the evaluations reports that were published, it's a downright joke the final 3.... Ukraine/Poland lacked alot of infastructure involved.
Greece also lacked a lot of infrastructure involved, when it was awarded the 2004 Olympics.

Was that a "downright joke" too?

Are you applying double standards, my Greek friend?

Last edited by Varsben; November 9th, 2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #137
EllasOle

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vars_
Greece also lacked a lot of infrastructure involved, when it was awarded the 2004 Olympics.

You have to understand that Athens won 2004 because they didn't win it in 1996 when they were supposed to. Atlanta wrigged the voting then and staged a discrace of an Olympics that everyone seems to forget about. I think that it is fair for us Greeks to at least get to host an event that was created a couple of thousand years ago by Greeks at least every 100 years or so. I would like to think that it's fair for both parties.

As for the Euro 2012 bidding, we did not say that Greece should be there, our argument is that Turkey's bid was better than both the joint-bids and is not in the final 3.
EllasOle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #138
Rhoy

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
Those stadiums are all horribly outdated..
please, can anybody says to Kamp that "new" it doesn't necessary mean "good"..

these stadiums could appear "outdated" to naive eyes, but they rapresent unique stadium architectures which made school through the years!
Rhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #139
Varsben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasOle
You have to understand that Athens won 2004 because they didn't win it in 1996 when they were supposed to. Atlanta wrigged the voting then and staged a discrace of an Olympics that everyone seems to forget about. I think that it is fair for us Greeks to at least get to host an event that was created a couple of thousand years ago by Greeks at least every 100 years or so. I would like to think that it's fair for both parties.
Now read carefully what you have to understand.

First, you disqualified the candidacy of Poland/Ukraine for EURO 2012, citing infrastructural underdevelopment of both countries. But then you pushed aside equivalent reservations against Greece's candidacy for the Olympics, stating historical-political reasons, for staging the Games in Greece.

Now, by quoting Turkey's infrastructural advantage over Poland/Ukraine, you are obviously pushing aside the historical-political considerations associated with EURO 2012, which point to Poland's/Ukraine's clear advantage over Turkey.

So, you are effectively applying double standards, my friend.
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #140
Christos7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vars_

And who says Athens should have been awarded 2004?

And last time I checked, Athens did struggle with construction. Maybe I am talking from experience, my dear Polish friend?

And how can you compare the Olympics to a Euro? There may be at best only a handful of cities in the world which can handle and have the infastructure available for an Olympic Games without needing major infastructure...

So, unless you pump loads of money into infastructure (hotels + stadiums + transport + facilities + hospitals etc) all at once, do it all in 6 years, and have perfect cooperation between two different countries on the matter, of which one is not in the EU, I think there could be potentially some problems. You will need to pull a Greece, and hope for no delays. If you do, more power to you. But neither Poland nor Ukraine have much experience in hosting these kind of events, so we have nothing to go on. And still my opinion stands, Turkey's bid was more qualified and deserved to be in the final 3 much more than Poland/Ukraine (and Croatia/Hungary for that matter). It's nothing against the two countries, it's just my opinion looking at the evaluations and reports.

(Herodotos, 9.45)

Last edited by Christos7; November 9th, 2005 at 09:51 PM.

Tags
euro 2012, infrastruktura sportowa, polish stadiums, ukraine, ukraine stadiums, ukrainian stadiums