daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
Poland 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #161
SGoico
¡Sabadell!

Likes (Received): 2

Italy hosted World Cup finals and Olympic Games. Let´s give Eastern Europe a chance:

I'll go for Poland and Ukraine

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #162
tv123

Likes (Received): 0

i dont support Italy, chance for eastern europe!!!

i think the Poland-Ukarine bid has no chance.The infarstructure(roads,hotels etc) is not as good as in Croatia or Hungary.And the distance is large between the cities in Poland and Ukraine.
The weakness of the Croatia-Hungary bid - hungarian football is crap(but 2times World cup finalist)
tv123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:12 PM   #163
Lares

Likes (Received): 19854

POLAND

Warszawa 55.000

http://www.rzeczpospolita.pl/teksty/...wa_a_7-1.F.jpg

Chorzów 50.000

Poznań 44.000

Gdańsk 40.000

Kraków 35.000

UKRAINE

Kyiv Olympic Stadium 82.000

Donetsk 50.000

Dnipropetrovsk 32.000

Lares no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM   #164
bubomb
BANNED

I like Chorzów, even in it's present form. There's just something about it!!
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM   #165
Tomesh
insatiable

yeah as long as one doesnt have to watch football in it

I think its gonna be Hungary / Croatia but I am hoping for Poland / Ukraine
Tomesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #166
messiah
BANNED

Location: Istanbul Miklagord Esdambol Vizantion Bizantium Antoninya NovaRoma Konstantinopolis Vizant Dersaadet
Likes (Received): 7

Italy 100%
messiah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #167
danJonze87
skippedybeebop

UEFA boss wants an Irish/Scots/Welsh euro bid

Wales told to bid for Euro finals

Uefa president Lennart Johansson says Wales should enter a joint bid with Scotland and Ireland to host the European Championships.

"I think it's a good idea," said Johansson. "They have the same culture, understand each other and travelling is easy between countries. So why not?"

Johansson also believes Cardiff's Millennium Stadium could soon host one of Uefa's major showpiece cup finals.

"I'm sure it will be considered to host a final," Johansson told BBC Sport.

Last year, the Football Association of Wales decided to ditch a bid to host a Uefa Champions League or Uefa Cup final because of problems meeting strict contractual obligations.

They concluded that the Millennium Stadium's city centre location means there is not have enough surrounding space to accommodate such things as the hospitality tented village.

"That was a big disappointment," FAW secretary general David Collins told BBC Wales Sport.

"But very few stadia in Europe can generate that sort of facility, so maybe Uefa will relax their requirement in the future, particularly for the Uefa Cup final.

"If so, then we would certainly look into that again, especially after this year with the FA Cup, the Community Shield and Championship play-offs moving back to Wembley."

Scotland and Ireland failed in a joint bid to host the 2008 European Championships, which were eventually awarded to Austria and Switzerland.

Joint bids from two countries are becoming ever more popular and successful - there are two such bids in the shortlist for the 2012 European Championships.

A Nordic bid from four countries failed to win the right to host Euro 2008, but Johansson said Uefa would not object in principle to a bid from three nations.

"The Nordic countries tried with four, but that was too much. Next time they will have three," Johansson told BBC Wales Sport.

FAW's David Collins

"We are not going to the same places all the time so there are good opportunities. That gives people hope, and also the opportunity to work together in partnership with other countries."

Wales' biggest hurdle to overcome to stage the 16-team tournament would be the shortage of suitable stadiums.

All bids must have eight stadiums with at least 30,000 seats. The Millennium Stadium is currently the only such venue in Wales.

That could change with the planned new stadium for Cardiff City, but Collins says the FAW would have to look into the possibility of developing Swansea's Liberty Stadium or Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.

Collins also revealed the FAW's preferred option would be to enter a joint bid with just Scotland to host the European Championships.

"We would seriously consider bidding," Collins said. "We seriously considered that with Scotland and the Republic of Ireland; unfortunately they decided to go on their own.

"But we believe it makes more sense to have the tournament within the island of the United Kingdom itself.

"So if we could bring four stadia up to 30,000 seats, together with Scotland we would certainly have eight stadia so we could then make a joint bid."

Hmm, interesting. Living in Wales, it would be great to have a major footballing tournament staged here. Everyone claims rugby is number 1 and 2 in wales, football crowds generally get much higher attendances here. With the closest chance of hosting the Euros being 2016 there would be need for a lot of development. And it could be done in theory

Now i'm not sure about the rules of how many stadiums each city can hold in a Euro, i presume two from Portugal 2004 where Porto and Lisbon had 4 between them

Ireland
- New Lansdowne Road, Dublin 55,000
- Croke Park, Dublin - 80,000 (if available)
- stadium in Cork? 30,000 (min)
- development of Thormond Park in Limerick? 30,000 (min)

Scotland
- Hampden, Glasgow
- Murrayfield, Edinburgh 67,000
- Ibrox or Celtic Park, Glasgow
- Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen 22,000 (possible extention or new stadium)
- New stadium in Dundee?

Wales
- Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 74,000 (72,500 for football with possible development the North Stand in next 10 years to boost capacity to 80,000)
- New Cardiff City ground 30,000 (with possible extention to 60,000)
- Liberty Stadium, Swansea 20,000 (with possible extention to the minimum 30,000, even 40,000 depending on Swansea City's league status within 10 years)
- Racecourse Ground, Wrexham 15,000 (with possible extention to the minimum 30,000)
- (possibly another new stadium in Newport maybe)

We've had this talk before, but we've all dismissed it as pie in the sky idea, but when the top dogs at UEFA encourige a bid like this it could be possible. But there is still a few questions to be answered. The stadiums could be there, but 6 of them are in 3 cities. Now i'm not sure what UEFA have in mind when they say 3 countries can share a competition, that means less teams can qualify. And what would Northen Ireland make of this.

But if there was a succesfull bid for 2016 at the earliest. What an opener that would be for the possible World Cup in England in 2018
danJonze87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #168
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I think a Scotland-Wales bid is the most plausible, you'd have to pull out all the stops to convince that a triumvirate could work, three automatic places is too many.

Ditch Ireland - there is no chance in hell that Croke Park would play host to games invented by the English Oppressor. There'd be a lot of white elephants elsewhere - Landsowne Road will be great but thats the only one that would stay in regular use - they don't have a professional football league.

I think you'd need eight cities, not eight grounds, - no reason you can't have grounds in addition to that in the but you could pull that off.

Scotland/Alba,

Glasgow,
Hampden
Ibrox

Edinburgh,
Murrayfield

Aberdeen,
Pittodrie

Dundee,
Joint Stadium for the two clubs.

Wales/Cymru,

Cardiff,
Millenium
St David's

Swansea,
Liberty (They're flying high in League 1, so could get promotion to the Championship, and increase their capacity, naturally before ten years time)

Wrexham,
Racecourse (Could easily be increased for Euro's and if they get promoted who knows that might be part of the way there already.)

Fourth Welsh City,
Hmmm...

Still within that, your guaranteed a 72500-80000, a 67000, a 55000 and a 52000. Not bad.

(Don't get me wrong, your still my Celtic Enemies, whose vile nature and barbarian tendencies I despise, that said I just happen to believe you could host a rather good tournament.)
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #169
Socrates
BANNED

Firstly it is a committee that decides where finals are to be held, and not Lenart Johannson. But ignoring his prompting and considering the 'nitty gritty' of a joint bid...

Being Scottish I would expect (demand even) that the final of any such tournament hosted jointly should be played at Hampden. I'm pretty sure the SFA would see this as a pre-requisite also.

So would the Welsh consent to the final being held at Hampden, despite the Millenium Stadium having a higher capacity? If not then the idea is a non starter.

Other than that I would be happy to participate in a joint bid with the Welsh FA, and would actually prefer a Scottish and Welsh bid that excluded any Irish involvement.
Socrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #170
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

I hate two nation hosts but 3 host nations is a joke. I think the world cup should never be co-hosted again, but accpet that the Euro's can be co-hosted. IMO Scotland and Wales should go for it but Ireland lost their chance.

International tournaments with more then two hosts is a farce! they need to be more focussed and you can't have 3 teams gaining automatic qualification especially at the euros which has less teams in the tournament than the wc anyway.
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #171
danJonze87
skippedybeebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
(Don't get me wrong, your still my Celtic Enemies, whose vile nature and barbarian tendencies I despise, that said I just happen to believe you could host a rather good tournament.)
And enemies we shall remain untill the Anglo-Saxon is driven back to the Mainland, away from our Anciant Britain, when we reclaim back our isle. Mwahahaha *respectfully stares at the opposition*

danJonze87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #172
easysurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
I think a Scotland-Wales bid is the most plausible, you'd have to pull out all the stops to convince that a triumvirate could work, three automatic places is too many.

Ditch Ireland - there is no chance in hell that Croke Park would play host to games invented by the English Oppressor. There'd be a lot of white elephants elsewhere - Landsowne Road will be great but thats the only one that would stay in regular use - they don't have a professional football league.

I think you'd need eight cities, not eight grounds, - no reason you can't have grounds in addition to that in the but you could pull that off.

Scotland/Alba,

Glasgow,
Hampden
Ibrox

Edinburgh,
Murrayfield

Aberdeen,
Pittodrie

Dundee,
Joint Stadium for the two clubs.

Wales/Cymru,

Cardiff,
Millenium
St David's

Swansea,
Liberty (They're flying high in League 1, so could get promotion to the Championship, and increase their capacity, naturally before ten years time)

Wrexham,
Racecourse (Could easily be increased for Euro's and if they get promoted who knows that might be part of the way there already.)

Fourth Welsh City,
Hmmm...

Still within that, your guaranteed a 72500-80000, a 67000, a 55000 and a 52000. Not bad.

Contrary to what you may believe Ireland would probably relish the chance to host alongside Wales and Scotland, and host where ever is suitable. England and it's people are not seen by many as oppressors now in Ireland but probably sense a lack of understanding of the history involved between the two nations. Quite a few of us English people look at our history through rose-tinted glasses but i suppose that's true for many nations. Anyway, back to the topic, i think it would be great if Ireland hosted the EURO tournament along with Scotland and Wales. They all deserve to stage a great international event.
easysurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #173
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka

Likes (Received): 30

We deserve it more
gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #174
gorgu
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka

Likes (Received): 30

Nah sorry just can’t see it happening, unless the Euro final is held at either Hampden or Murrayfield

We can supply

Hampden 52000
Celtic Park 60000
Ibrox 52000 (being expanded to 56000 this summer)
Murrayfield 67500
Tynecastle 30000
Dundee 30000 (joint stadium, reduced to 20000 after championships)
New Aberdeen Stadium 30000 (reduced to 25000 after the championships)
Easter Road 30000 (reduced to 25000 after the championships)
Rugby Park 20000 (can be temporarily increased to 30000)

Why would we let two other countries joint host when we can almost hold it ourselves, all we want is a junior partner to take maybe one group of the four and host a quarter, a semi and the third place play off)

If it is a case of looking at bigger stadia for the final, fine redevelop the small stand at Murrayfield and increase its capacity to 75000, that should do it!!

The WCML can get from Birmingham to Glasgow in three hours these days, so transport is not an issue!
gorgu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #175
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Contrary to what you may believe Ireland would probably relish the chance to host alongside Wales and Scotland, and host where ever is suitable.

You see that statement, isn't really contrary to what I say, because I believe it would possibly not, but I know Wales would jump at it. Thats as maybe, but Ireland's Finest Stadium, will never allow Saxon Games.

And as the Second Wealthiest Country in Europe couldn't guarantee a single stadia for the last bid, to me that shows apathy, and Wales deserve a chance and seem far more enthusiastic. A three country bid will NOT work and is not suitable, and will not get the bid. The Scandinavian Bid was laughed off for much the same reason. I hate to say it but with Scotland's Football Enthusiasm and Heritage, it is the guaranteed first choice of the three, and between two countries Wales is the obvious partner not Ireland.

(And I like the Irish far more than I do the Scots and Welsh. I have Irish Blood in me, but no connection with Wales, other than bordering them, and occassionally patrolling the Marches to make sure Welsh Princes think better of invading.)

England and it's people are not seen by many as oppressors now in Ireland but probably sense a lack of understanding of the history involved between the two nations.

Thats not the point CP, one of the best stadia in Europe, doesn't like (and thats as lightly as I can put it) Anglo-Saxon Games being played there.

Quite a few of us English people look at our history through rose-tinted glasses but i suppose that's true for many nations.

Quite a few countries, play the eternal victim as well.

Anyway, back to the topic, i think it would be great if Ireland hosted the EURO tournament along with Scotland and Wales. They all deserve to stage a great international event.

Everyone else gets it, THREE Nations Hosting will not work.
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #176
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1548

The concept of Wrexham hosting an international event is laughable at best.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #177
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgu
We can supply

Hampden 52000
Celtic Park 60000
Ibrox 52000 (being expanded to 56000 this summer)
Murrayfield 67500
Tynecastle 30000
Dundee 30000 (joint stadium, reduced to 20000 after championships)
New Aberdeen Stadium 30000 (reduced to 25000 after the championships)
Easter Road 30000 (reduced to 25000 after the championships)
Rugby Park 20000 (can be temporarily increased to 30000)
You CANT have 3 stadia in on city(GLASGOW). I can't believe why some people still believe that, it was one of the reasons why the previous bid failed!! I would however support a Scotland Wales Bid. sorry ireland.
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #178
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone see the latest FIFA rankings? USA is ranked 5th in the world.

What a joke.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #179
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Let's face it, the welsh and scots would jump at any chance of hosting a Euro-Championships because it's the ONLY chance they've got of qualifying for one

AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #180
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

true but still would like them to host it

Tags
euro 2012, infrastruktura sportowa, polish stadiums, ukraine, ukraine stadiums, ukrainian stadiums