daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being SUPER and 1 being BAD, what would you rate the Airport??
1 3 3.57%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 1.19%
7 7 8.33%
8 9 10.71%
9 28 33.33%
10 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #2161
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemo View Post
It's amazingly beautiful airport!!!!

What´s the meaning of Chek Lap Kok??

A place? A name of a person?
"Chek Lap" is actually a species of fish. "Chek" means red, "Lap" is the species and "Kok" means corner.

There were many "Chek Lap" resided around the island, so the island was named "Chek Lap Kok."

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #2162
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

"Chek Lap Kok" isn't actually part of the airport's name though; the name is simply "Hong Kong International Airport".
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2163
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
You got my point totally.

I was really referring to JFK because I have experienced the same thing as you had. When I came back from HK last time, I stood in line for 45 minutes for the immigration, and there were at least 30-40 Americans behind me. But on the visitor side, it's empty by the time I got through immigration. There were a lot more visitors than Americans.

But then, at least I wasn't standing by the baggage claim for hour and half for my bags to come out while I spent a good 45 minutes at the immigration. It shortened my baggage wait to just under an hour~~~~~ (Yes, I didn't walk out the airport until 2 hours after I got off the plane; which in HK, I would have been home 2 hours after I get off the plane.)
It's great to know someone that has gone thru the same experience! And yes, for other forumers out there, waiting for your baggage takes forever at JFK (not sure about other int'l airports in the U.S.). What's even better is that the customs officials are suspicious of ppl flying from Asia since they might bring "restricted" herbal medicines.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #2164
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Details from the Gazette
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2165
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

SFO's baggage claim is pretty crappy too. Every year I fly back from HK, they always have 2-3 flights at the baggage area, but they crowd all the baggage onto one belt (the others are all empty) and it takes about an hour after customs to be able to find your baggage.

Then customs are strict nowadays, even bringing candy means you have to get checked (unless you tell customs you didn't bring anything).

Customs lines were ok, but nowhere as convenient as HK's ID cards and thumb ID.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #2166
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Customs lines were ok, but nowhere as convenient as HK's ID cards and thumb ID.
Nowhere is really. Having a permanent HKID card is the equivalent of waving an FBI badge to enter someone's home. About 30 seconds of hassle...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #2167
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2614

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Pudong wasn't too successful at being consistent

One thing about the e-counters, I haven't changed my ID and I'm always faster than my family who have Smart ID.

I will enjoy this until they force me to update my card
I was more refering to the airport design and architecture. Pudong's T1 and T2 are similar unlike those of JFK or Changi.

Anyway, it is still an advantage to have these e-counters but they only for those who have Smart HKID. The longest queue I've been too was in LAX

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #2168
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18137

Entering the UK for British citizens isn't so bad either. Although the lineups can get quite large, processing time is very quick since you wave the document in front of the officer and usually it'll be over in 5 seconds.

UK and US are subject to much heightened security that many Asian countries don't have to worry about, so naturally wait times will be less here.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #2169
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
It's great to know someone that has gone thru the same experience! And yes, for other forumers out there, waiting for your baggage takes forever at JFK (not sure about other int'l airports in the U.S.). What's even better is that the customs officials are suspicious of ppl flying from Asia since they might bring "restricted" herbal medicines.
I have only been to Bradley (Hartford/Springfield), Newark, JFK, Tampa, Orlando, Seattle-Tacoma, Baltimore-Washington, Fort Lauderdale (Miami) and TF Green (Providence, RI) so far. Amongst all, JFK has the slowest baggage claim ever. Of course, all the other airports aren't as international as JFK, but domestic baggage claim is just still the worst. 35-45 minutes wait is just typical in all airports I have been to.

But being spoiled what HKIA can offer, 35 minutes wait is still too much.
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2170
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Entering the UK for British citizens isn't so bad either. Although the lineups can get quite large, processing time is very quick since you wave the document in front of the officer and usually it'll be over in 5 seconds.

UK and US are subject to much heightened security that many Asian countries don't have to worry about, so naturally wait times will be less here.

That would make sense. The Asian countries aren't trying to **** with the rest of the world like the United States is. Hopefully that will chance with our new president next year.

I noticed there seems to be good shopping in this airport. Are people who are not flying allowed to go through security and shop in the terminal? I'm not sure why someone would do that unless the options are truly exceptional or if they just want to look at planes.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2171
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I noticed there seems to be good shopping in this airport. Are people who are not flying allowed to go through security and shop in the terminal? I'm not sure why someone would do that unless the options are truly exceptional or if they just want to look at planes.
There are many shops and restaurants in the check-in area where everyone can go freely. Terminal 2 is also an entertainment centre including theatre and somekind of museum besides numbers of shops. Local shopping and entertaining are part of the marketing scheme on top of travellers comfort.

There are 70k people living within 10 minutes range to the airport in Tung Chung, and hundred thounsands within 30 minutes. The airport unrestricted area can be a place/mall to hang out and spend time there for a good day for many people.
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #2172
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0071025%20HKG/

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2173
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #2174
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Dragonair pilot exodus'grounding flights'
Crew shortage forces airline to cancel services

28 October 2007
South China Morning Post

Dragonair is being forced to cancel up to eight flights a day as senior captains and first officers leave the airline at a rate of more than one a week.

Six captains resigned in the space of a week this month, and 34 first officers and captains have handed in their notice in the past six months, pilots say. They blame a long-running dispute over rosters and pay.

On October 13 eight flights were cancelled - including five between Hong Kong and Shanghai and two between Hong Kong and Taipei - with crew shortages cited as the reason in all cases and cockpit crew shortages cited in two cases.

A year after its HK$12 billion takeover by Cathay Pacific, cancellations on Hong Kong's second-biggest airline are running at a rate of two a day.

Pilots say managers have repeatedly refused to implement a rostering agreement to ease the strain on pilots handling a growing volume of back-to-back flights and overnight stops. However, Dragonair, which has around 400, mostly expatriate, pilots, says it is feeling the impact of a worldwide shortage of cockpit crew.

An airline spokeswoman said the eight cancellations on October 13 were due to "crew sickness". It had already hired 57 new pilots this year and planned to hire 10 more before the end of the year and another 50 next year, she said.

One senior pilot, who has been with Dragonair for more than 10 years, said the resignations signalled deep-rooted discontent.

"I have never seen morale so low. Pilots are leaving because they're thoroughly fed up with the management," he said. "We haven't had a pay rise for seven years, but it's not really a pay issue. We have asked for a roster agreement for years and years. The Dragonair Pilots' Association has provided two draft agreements but management just look at them and nothing happens."

The pilot said eight cancellations in one day was unprecedented.

"It has usually been about two cancellations a day, but the situation is clearly getting worse."

Dragonair pilots have since March 2005 imposed a contract compliance policy in their efforts to secure a rostering agreement, and a captain familiar with ongoing negotiations said they were deadlocked. Under contract compliance, pilots refuse to do extra work to cover for colleagues on holiday or sick leave.

Another senior pilot said: "The salary for a Dragonair pilot is no longer competitive because of inflation and the state of the US dollar, and the rostering situation has become untenable. With the increase in the flight schedule and the wet-leased flights in China, some guys are doing 14 overnights a month and they're just fed up with it."

Dragonair is leasing fully crewed planes to airlines on the mainland, a practice called wet-leasing.

He said the pilots were leaving to join Korean Air, Emirates and Air China. "In one week we had six pilots leave - all of them captains."

The Dragonair spokeswoman denied the exodus of pilots was linked to rostering. "There are currently more vacancies than there are pilots throughout the industry. Therefore, it is not surprising to see a degree of pilot turnover."

The Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation estimates the global pilot shortage will top 2,000 by the end of 2010.

The Dragonair spokeswoman said: "The management and the Dragonair Pilots' Association have been in discussion for some time on issues such as pay and conditions, rostering practices and the like. We are awaiting a response from the pilots' representatives to our offer on the salary and benefits packages which was made in early October. In addition, the company has formed a team to review the provision of additional benefits to many of its pilots."

Old October 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #2175
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

港龍34機師離職逼減航班

29/10/2007

【 本 報 訊 】 航 空 業 近 年 發 展 蓬 勃 , 各 家 航 空 公 司 均 面 對 機 師 短 缺 的 問 題 , 一 向 「 唔 憂 做 」 的 機 師 變 得 更 加 吃 香 。 港 龍 航 空 過 去 半 年 便 有 多 達 三 十 四 名 正 、 副 機 師 離 職 , 部 分 航 班 亦 因 人 手 不 足 而 被 迫 取 消 。 港 龍 表 示 正 增 聘 人 手 , 來 年 將 招 聘 五 十 名 新 機 師 。

有 港 龍 前 機 師 最 近 向 傳 媒 指 , 港 龍 半 年 內 有 三 十 四 名 正 、 副 機 師 遞 交 辭 職 信 , 其 中 六 人 更 是 集 中 於 本 月 短 短 一 星 期 內 請 辭 , 主 要 是 不 滿 出 勤 更 表 編 排 得 太 緊 密 , 以 及 薪 酬 偏 低 。

另 一 機 師 批 評 , 管 理 層 一 直 不 願 改 善 編 更 問 題 , 而 且 已 多 年 沒 有 加 薪 , 導 致 士 氣 非 常 低 落 , 不 少 機 師 均 已 忍 無 可 忍 。 由 於 人 手 流 失 嚴 重 , 港 龍 本 月 十 三 日 便 有 八 班 航 班 被 迫 取 消 , 機 師 形 容 情 況 並 不 尋 常 。

業 界 面 對 人 手 短 缺
港 龍 發 言 人 表 示 , 現 時 整 個 業 界 的 機 師 職 位 空 缺 較 現 有 機 師 為 多 , 港 龍 出 現 一 定 程 度 的 機 師 流 失 情 況 亦 非 罕 見 。 而 該 公 司 的 機 師 離 職 有 不 同 原 因 , 包 括 個 人 、 家 庭 因 素 或 退 休 。 至 於 本 月 十 三 日 共 有 八 班 航 班 取 消 , 是 由 於 機 組 人 員 身 體 不 適 所 致 。

發 言 人 又 謂 , 已 與 港 龍 航 空 機 師 協 會 就 薪 酬 福 利 計 劃 進 行 商 討 , 公 司 亦 已 提 出 升 幅 顯 著 的 薪 酬 建 議 。 港 龍 今 年 內 將 增 聘 十 名 機 師 , 明 年 則 會 再 招 聘 五 十 名 。
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2176
dicksonlai

Likes (Received): 0

Press Release

Check-in Counters of Hong Kong Airlines will move to Terminal 2, Hong Kong International Airport
2007 Oct 26

Hong Kong Airlines was established in November last year. With the tremendous support from travellers, business development has been increased significantly. The average number of flights per month increases by three fold when compared with previous year.

In order to improve our service quality and match our long-term business development, with effective from 28th November, Hong Kong Airlines will move its check-in counters from Aisle J of Terminal 1 to Aisle P, 5th Level Departure Hall at Terminal 2 of Hong Kong International Airport.*

Terminal 2 is more spacious and provides better comfort to the increasing number of Hong Kong Airlines passengers. It will also provide us with the opportunity to expand and centralize our check-in counter service, and to achieve the target of providing “Brand New Image, Brand New Service & Brand New Feeling” to our valuable travellers.

Please contact Hong Kong International Airport at 2216-1088 for check-in services' enquiries, and 2559-1966 for media enquiries of Hong Kong Airlines.

*If departure time of flight is 0300 to 0600, check-in and departure services will be provided at Aisle J, 7th Level, Terminal 1, which is currently operating in the airport.
dicksonlai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #2177
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Dragonair Celebrates First Flights to Fukuoka and Sendai
29 October 2007
Corporate Press Release

Dragonair yesterday celebrated the launch of scheduled services to two new destinations in Japan: Fukuoka and Sendai. The route launches will serve to further strengthen links between Hong Kong and Japan, with Dragonair the only airline to offer scheduled services between Hong Kong and Sendai and the only airline to offer non-stop scheduled flights between Fukuoka and Hong Kong.

Ceremonies were held at Fukuoka International Airport yesterday and Sendai International Airport today to mark the latest development for the airline and welcome passengers from the two cities for the first flights to Hong Kong.

"We are particularly delighted to expand our presence in Japan – a country that remains one of the most popular holiday destinations for tourists from Hong Kong," said Dragonair's General Manager Ground Services Algernon Yau, who represented the airline at both ceremonies. "At the same time, the new services will help strengthen Hong Kong's role as an international aviation hub, enabling passengers from different regions in Japan to connect through Hong Kong onto the extensive networks of Dragonair and our sister airline Cathay Pacific."

"On behalf of Dragonair, I would like to thank all of those involved in helping to make our launch here today a reality – and a success," said Mr Yau. "We will continue to commit to further strengthening our network and providing high quality products and services to make us the 'airline of choice' in the markets we serve."

To mark the service launches, Dragonair gave a special souvenir to passengers on the first flights. In addition, passengers on the first flight to Fukuoka received a gift pack from the Fukuoka Prefecture Government while the Miyagi Prefecture Government in Sendai also handed out gifts to welcome those on the first flight to the city.

Fukuoka and Sendai are the third and fourth new destinations added to the Dragonair network since the airline became a member of the Cathay Pacific Group last year. Flights to Fukuoka operate daily and to Sendai three times a week, using Airbus A321 and Airbus A320 aircraft respectively.

Code:
Fukuoka (FUK)

Route Flight Departs Arrives Days 
HKGFUK KA316 08:50 13:05 Daily 
FUKHKG KA317 15:10 18:15 Mon 
FUKHKG KA317 14:05 17:10 Wed/Sun 
FUKHKG KA317 15:35 18:40 Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat 

Sendai (SDJ)

Route Flight Departs Arrives Days 
HKGSDJ KA320 13:25 18:25 Wed 
HKGSDJ KA320 14:40 19:40 Thu/Sun 
SDJHKG KA321 09:40 14:15 Mon/Fri 
SDJHKG KA321 08:50 13:25 Thu

Old October 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2178
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

so thrilled to see that Dragonair is emerging as a leading regional carrier gradually. With more and more new destinations added to the network, I have strong confidence that Dragonair will become a force to be reckoned with on a long-term basis.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #2179
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Czech airline CSA to launch first scheduled long distance cargo

PRAGUE, Oct. 29, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- Czech state-controlled airline CSA will launch its first scheduled long distance cargo service between Prague and Hong Kong with a stopover in Dubai, the carrier said.

'For Czech Airlines this is the first full long distance cargo route,' the airline said, adding that it would open up the possibility to serve new destinations in Asia and increase cargo earnings.

Under a code-sharing deal with Emirates SkyCargo, part of Emirates Airline, CSA can fill half of the Boeing (NYSE:BA) 747-200F to be used on the weekly flights.

The joint venture cargo flight will touch down in Prague for the first time on November 9.

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:09 AM   #2180
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

國泰高層入主港龍
處理機組編更不滿

2007年10月31日

【明報專訊】盛傳掀起辭職潮的港龍航空有多項高層人事變動,原屬國泰航空的多名高級管理人員紛紛入主港龍。港龍行政總裁鄧國杰表示,任命是屬於兩公司進行整合及加強管理計劃的一部分。

現任港龍航務總經理韋德治將於12月31日辭任所有職務,明年初返回英國重新執行飛行職務。現任國泰飛行總經理賀銳智將接替其航務總經理職位,並即時到港龍上班,任職候任航務總經理。另國泰機組人員排班經理梁偉雄亦被委任為港龍機組人員策劃經理,將負責機組人員的策劃、編更及控制。

負責機組人員編更的梁偉雄將直接向賀銳智匯報工作。港龍行政總裁鄧國杰表示,國泰和港龍整合計劃已進入第三階段,集中機組人員編更。早前有報道指港龍不少機師及機組人員不滿編更安排,紛紛求去,令港龍一天內取消8班航班。鄧國杰相信,上述人事調動安排有助處理有關問題。

Tags
east asian hub airport, hong kong