daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being SUPER and 1 being BAD, what would you rate the Airport??
1 3 3.57%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 1.19%
7 7 8.33%
8 9 10.71%
9 28 33.33%
10 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31st, 2007, 09:40 AM   #2181
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18181

Taking flight
A wave of resignations at Dragonair reflects a simmering row over rostering and conditions

31 October 2007
South China Morning Post

When the training captain took the decision to quit his HK$150,000 a month package with Dragonair and move to an HK$81,000 first officer posting with a smaller, start-up airline, he made sure his bosses at Dragonair were in no doubt about the reasons for his resignation.

"I was very careful when I gave Dragonair my reasons for leaving not to include things like pollution or the operating environment in China," said the captain, who had been with the airline for more than 10 years. "Denial is a strong instinct, and I've seen it at work in Dragonair before. They latch on to things that are outside their control - like pollution - and say 'Ah, you see. It's not our problem'."

The former captain, who asked not to be named because he is now with a new airline, made sure his voice was heard by booking an appointment with the airline's new chief executive officer, Kenny Tang.

"I went and spoke to him for an hour and a half and I spoke to him very candidly. He took a lot of notes and I got the impression that he had really been sheltered from the real goings-on," said the 45-year-old. "I asked him why, if there wasn't a problem, would people give up their seniority to take up risky jobs with another airline? Seniority is supposed to protect airlines against senior pilots leaving because they have to start all over again. It is a powerful reason not to leave an airline - and yet it is still not proving enough to make people stay at Dragonair."

An estimated 34 senior captains and first officers have resigned from Dragonair in the past six months and, on October 13, eight Dragonair flights in and out of Hong Kong were cancelled because of crew shortages. Nine other flights were delayed on the same day. One of the first hints to the scale of the problem came in the minutes of a management meeting circulated to staff in June when Mr Tang described the airline's on-time performance - its success in getting planes to leave on schedule - as "not satisfactory" and said one of the factors affecting the performance was a "crew shortage problem".

Pilots say the blunt admission caused a stir among Dragonair staff who said it hasn't been used in any memo circulated since. The airline, which has about 400 mostly expatriate pilots, says the problem is a reflection of a worldwide shortage of pilots, describing the global aviation industry as "very robust" and saying that demand for pilots was "ever-increasing".

A spokesman for the airline said its disappointing on-time performance was due to congested airspace on the mainland rather than the crew shortages. Generally, between 40 and 50 per cent of flights are leaving on schedule. The spokesman said some of its recent departures had been sparked by the creation of new offshore postings in places like Australia by airlines such as China Air and Korean Airlines which were attractive to Hong Kong expatriates.

In any case, the airline pointed out, it had hired 57 new pilots this year and planned to hire another 60 by the end of next year. Pilots argue that, delays aside, cancellations are now running at the rate of two a day and they say the resignation of senior pilots stems from the failure of Dragonair to give its cockpit crews a roster agreement similar to the one in place at Cathay Pacific to guarantee their time off as schedules get busier and they do more overnight stops on the mainland.

One pilot familiar with the negotiations between Dragonair and the pilots union over the rostering practices said: "The management have just been hoping these problems will go away. We have been telling them about the rostering difficulties for a long time and they have ignored what we have said - but what's happening now shows our concerns are legitimate. Pilots from outside our company look at our rosters and say: 'My God - you can't fly guys like that on a short-haul airline'."

Nevertheless, some pilots concede that some of the difficulties are not of Dragonair's own making and revolve instead around the difficulty of operating an airline in the mainland's congested and rapidly growing aviation field.

"I defy anyone to run an airline efficiently with the way China is. It is simply impossible because they have constant delays and they close airspace without any notice, and you can have two or three airplanes sitting in Shanghai for two, three or four hours," one senior pilot said. "The knock-on effect for that with cabin crew and everyone else is enormous, so it is very difficult for anyone, let alone an airline that is tight on crews."

A Dragonair spokeswoman said the airline's core mainland routes were "particularly busy" and had to deal with regular congestion and air traffic control hold-ups. "Flight delays caused by air traffic control issues have become a serious problem for the industry as a whole - a fact acknowledged by the authorities in both Hong Kong and the mainland; we are committed to doing everything we can to minimise delays caused by factors within our control."

When the 45-year-old Dragonair captain quit less than two months ago, however, he felt the greatest obstacle was that relations between management and pilots - who had for the past 21/2 years been working under contract compliance - had become so embittered there was no chance of the situation improving.

In particular, he said, differences between the pilots and the operations management department had led to a feeling among pilots that crew control had gained excessive influence over pilots.

"I'm not a militant person, but at Dragonair it's got to the situation where you go to work for one day and don't get back [home] until four days later. Now that can happen with an airline, but at Dragonair it's the rule rather than the exception and you find yourself getting a very aggressive approach from a 24-year-old crew control girl who's been working for the company for three months saying: 'Are you going to do it or not?'

"All of that made it an environment that was very difficult to work in. The unequivocal message from our management was 'If you don't like it, go'. So that's what I did."

Dragonair said it had given its cockpit crew "significant annual pay adjustments" in 2000 and 2001 and said the pilots rejected the offer of an additional salary increase for 2002 that was offered as part of a three-year agreement.

Additionally, the airline pointed out, cockpit crew received a 2 per cent annual pay rise which was technically based on performance but historically given across the board.

"Cockpit crew have received an accumulated increment of 12 to 14 per cent between 2001 and 2007," the airline said in a statement. "That needs to be seen against the background of events during that period, including September 11 and Sars, which contributed to the downturn of the aviation industry as well as the global and regional economic situations as a whole."

Pilots insist that their chief concern, however, is rosters and not pay. Responding to that point, Dragonair said: "The nature of Dragonair's operation of short-haul services is that crew get fewer days off per month in comparison to pilots operating long-haul service operations. There are also nights spent away at the outports. That's the nature of our operating business."

However, the statement added: "Dragonair pilots get an average of approximately 110 days off per year in addition to between 42 and 48 days annual leave."

In the second quarter of next year, it added, Dragonair planned to "combine the crew planning, rostering and crew control function with our sister airline Cathay Pacific".

If such a move provides the solution Dragonair pilots have been hoping for over the past 21/2 years of contract compliance, the breakthrough will come too late for some, such as the former captain who will shortly be returning from London to Hong Kong after being trained to fly a different kind of aircraft, this time as first officer.

"I spent 10 years with Dragonair and the airline has been very good for me.

"I'm just sorry it has deteriorated to the state it is now in," he said.

"My pay may be less now, but I'm working for an airline where people pull together and I'd forgotten what that is like.

"I'm not speaking out of bitterness. I'm speaking out of quite a deep sorrow at having to leave a company I've been with for a large part of my working life."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #2182
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cooperation to bolster HK's aviation hub status
31 October 2007
China Daily - Hong Kong Edition

Hong Kong will be able to maintain its status as an aviation hub if it steps up cooperation with neighbouring cities, aviation experts said yesterday.

Speaking at a launching ceremony of a coach service linking Hong Kong and Shenzhen Airports, Shenzhen Airport (Group) Company general manager Wang Yang said that the Hong Kong International Airport has been in active negotiation with its neighbor over concrete cooperation plans to strengthen their competitiveness.

The recent expansion of Shenzhen Airport has raised concern over Hong Kong's competitiveness, especially after it formed a joint venture with Singapore's Changi Airport International to invest in medium-sized airports with growth potentials.

Wang said while Shenzhen Airport was in talks with other international airports for cooperation, the negotiation with Hong Kong would not be similar to the deal with Singapore.

"The airports in Shenzhen and Hong Kong are serving their unique roles in the region, and we are complementing each others. We have our own unique advantages," he said.

Shenzhen Vice-Mayor Zhang Siping said a committee had been established to study the proposal of building a railway linking up the two airports.

Shenzhen Airport has started building a second runway, and reclamation was underway, said the official.

In about two years, Shenzhen's subway system will be extended to reach the airport. Passenger flow is expected to reach between 46 million and 50 million in 2012 as opposed to the present figure of 20 million, said Shenzhen Airport supervisory council president Tian Jufeng.

Shenzhen may not be the only Pearl River Delta city to join the race for aviation hub status.

China Southern (Group) Shenzhen Airlines general manager Li Yunxiang said the development of Guangzhou's airport, which is having more international flights than Shenzhen, can emerge to be a serious competitor for Hong Kong.

Li also predicted that more cargo heading for overseas markets will use airports in the Pearl River Delta region in the future when the origin of the product is becoming a less prominent factor in accessing trade balance.

But Li said Hong Kong would retain its competitive edge as an aviation hub.

Chinese University's Aviation Policy and Research Center associate director Law Cheung-kwok said Hong Kong had an urgent need to team up with neighbouring cities by developing an integrated transport network and sharing more air space.

He said Hong Kong's development would be affected should Shenzhen Airport further collaborate with Singapore, for example, by diverting mainland travellers to the lion city for international flights.

He said airports of the two cities could cooperate by swapping equities or forging joint ownership of the airports.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:05 PM   #2183
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New Flights to Far East, South America Begin Sunday on United Airlines
Corporate Press Release

Flights to Hong Kong and Rio de Janeiro strengthen international network and give customers more options

CHICAGO, October 25, 2007 – United Airlines launches services on Sunday from Los Angeles to Hong Kong and from Washington Dulles to Rio de Janeiro, strengthening its international network and providing additional options for customers to travel the world.

"Further expanding our route network gives our customers what they have asked for – more ways to visit popular international destinations for both work and pleasure," says Kevin Knight, United's senior vice president-Planning. “With nonstop service, these two cities are now much easier for our customers to visit.”

United Flight 867 will depart Los Angeles International Airport at 12:10 p.m. Sunday and land at Hong Kong International Airport on Monday at 6:40 p.m. local time. United Flight 856 will depart Hong Kong on Monday at 12:20 pm., arriving in Los Angeles at 9:35 a.m. the same day.

United will operate the combined passenger and cargo Los Angeles service using a B747 aircraft configured with 14 United First® seats, 73 United Business® seats and 260 United Economy® seats, including 88 Economy Plus® seats that offer up to five more inches of legroom. With the B747 aircraft, United has the capability to carry about 12 tons of cargo per flight between the United States and Hong Kong.

The seasonal direct service from Washington, D.C., to Rio de Janeiro will begin Sunday on United Flight 873, departing Washington Dulles at 9:38 p.m. and arriving the following day in Rio de Janeiro at 9:25 a.m. United Flight 874 is scheduled to depart Rio de Janeiro at 10:05 p.m. and arrive in Dulles at 6:23 a.m. the next day. The service will use a B767 aircraft configured to 10 United First® seats, 32 United Business® seats and 151 United Economy® seats, including 71 Economy Plus® seats. With the B767 aircraft, United has the capability to carry about 12 tons of cargo per flight between Washington, D.C., and Rio de Janeiro.

Customers will earn 500 bonus miles each time they purchase qualifying travel at united.com, which also offers no booking fees and the guaranteed lowest United fares.

About United

United Airlines (NASDAQ: UAUA) operates more than 3,600* flights a day on United, United Express and Ted to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is one of the largest international carriers based in the United States. United also is a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 855 destinations in 155 countries worldwide. United's 55,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.

*Based on the flight schedule between Jan. 1, 2007 and Dec. 31, 2007.

###

Old November 1st, 2007, 05:20 AM   #2184
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

港龍航空慶祝福岡及仙台航線首航

29 October 2007

港龍航空昨天慶祝推出來往香港和日本兩個新航點:福岡和仙台的定期航班服務。新航線將有助進一步鞏固香港和日本之間的聯繫。港龍航空目前是唯一一家提供來往香港及仙台的定期航班服務和前往福岡的不停站直航服務的航空公司。

首航儀式分別於昨天在福岡國際機場和今天在仙台國際機場舉行,紀念港龍航空發展里程碑的同時,並歡迎乘搭首航航班前往香港的乘客。

港龍航空地面服務總經理丘應樺代表公司出席首航儀式,他表示:「日本是其中一個最受香港旅客歡迎的度假勝地,因此,我們對於可以進一步加強我們來往日本的服務感到特別高興。同時,來自日本各個地區的乘客也可以方便地在香港接駁到港龍及國泰航空龐大的航空網絡,香港的國際航空樞紐地位得以進一步提昇。」

「我謹代表港龍航空感謝各位對今天首航成功所作出的貢獻。我們會繼續努力實現承諾,為乘客提供優質的產品和服務,讓我們在所服務的市場中成為『首選航空公司』。」

為慶祝首航,港龍航空向乘搭往來香港及福岡和仙台首航航班的乘客送贈紀念品。另外,福岡縣政府和宮城縣政府也分別為由香港前往福岡及仙台的乘客送上禮品包。

福岡和仙台是港龍航空自成為國泰航空集團一員後的第三及第四個新航點。港龍航空分別採用空中巴士A321及A320客機提供每日來往福岡及每週三班來往仙台的航班服務

Last edited by Kaitak747; November 1st, 2007 at 05:27 AM.
Kaitak747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2185
hkskyline
Hong Kong

One more regional airline adds direct flight to Myanmar

YANGON, Nov. 3 (Xinhua) -- One more regional airline will add direct flight to Myanmar's biggest city of Yangon, a Myanmar civil aviation official said on Saturday.

Using a 164-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft, the Hong Kong Express Airways will fly Yangon twice a week on Tuesday and Friday, the official said.

There are 14 foreign airlines flying Yangon which include Thai Airways International, Indian Airlines, Qatar Airways, Silk Air, Air China, China Southern Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Mandarin Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, Bangkok Airways, Jetstar Asia, Phuket Airline and Thai Air Asia.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #2186
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old November 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #2187
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By KA994 from HKADB :

What airline is that? I've never been to Hong Kong but I think it would be interesting to arrive at HKG in a turboprop.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #2188
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
What airline is that? I've never been to Hong Kong but I think it would be interesting to arrive at HKG in a turboprop.
That's a government-owned plane.

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2189
hkskyline
Hong Kong

United Airlines takes hard line in pay row
2 November 2007
South China Morning Post

United Airlines has taken a hard line in response to a demand by flight attendants for better pay and benefits, pointing out it had received thousands of job applications for such posts.

The American airline issued a statement after 20 flight attendants staged a protest outside the company's office in Hong Kong yesterday, saying they wanted to "share the rewards" the company has enjoyed since emerging from bankruptcy last year. While sidestepping the requests, the company said it had been recruiting flight attendants since 2005 and had received more than 300,000 applications so far.

"It confirmed the high demand for this career and also the keen interest in working for United Airlines," the company said in a statement.

Jack Kande, spokesman for the Hong Kong branch of the US-based Association of Flight Attendants, said they would not stop protesting until the management was willing to return to the negotiating table. "They have to talk to us before 2010 when our contract needs to be renewed. The delay in negotiations will only get us more and more angry," he said.

The protesters chanted slogans and waved placards outside the company building in Tsim Sha Tsui, where the airline's chief executive officer, Glenn Tilton, was holding a meeting.

Melanie Bell, who has been working for the company as a flight attendant for 13 years, said her salary, benefits and pension plan were cut by 40 per cent when the firm filed for bankruptcy protection in 2004.

"They just said this was necessary and everyone had to make a sacrifice," she said. "Now the company has begun to make a profit, but we are still working on low pay."

She said working hours had been extended and rest days reduced. "We used to have two days of rest following a trip from Hong Kong to San Francisco, but now there's only one day. This makes the job a much more tiring and tougher one."

Mr Kande said the airline's top management was rewarded with millions of dollars in pay rises, bonuses and stocks over the past year.

"We are the ones who serve the customers every day and make them come back; we are the ones who will help keep customers safe in flight in an emergency; we are the ones who made a sacrifice to make the airline survive. We have every right to share the rewards with the management."

Old November 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #2190
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.fotop.net/leosarea/

Old November 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2191
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Nov. 4, 2007, 2:53AM
Hong Kong Airline Begins Myanmar Flights
© 2007 The Associated Press

YANGON, Myanmar — A Hong Kong-based airline will begin regular flights to Myanmar's largest city of Yangon, a state-run newspaper said Sunday.

The inaugural flight of Hong Kong Express Airways, a Boeing 737-800 with 27 passengers on board, landed at Yangon International Airport Saturday, according to The Mirror.

The report said the airline will fly the Hong Kong-Yangon route every Tuesday and Friday.

Airlines with regular service to Yangon include Thai Airways International, China Airlines, Indian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and several domestic carriers.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2192
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ Ooo .. yes, got it in post 311.

Old November 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #2193
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Hong Kong Government Flying Services. This airplane is one of the types that they use for search and rescue mission at sea.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2194
jim_ozora

Likes (Received): 0

Great photos, i didn't realise Qantas still flew their 767's to Hong Kong, which route do these serve?
jim_ozora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2195
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
That's a government-owned plane.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Hong Kong Government Flying Services. This airplane is one of the types that they use for search and rescue mission at sea.
Most likely the PRC Coast Guard right?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #2196
hkskyline
Hong Kong

767 is used for the Perth service (8 hours).

Old November 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2197
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Most likely the PRC Coast Guard right?
Hong Kong Government Flying Services is a stand alone department in Hong Kong. It is completely separated from any department from the mainland.
The PLA and HKGFS do run joint event for training just in case there are something big happen.

Beside rescue, the HKGFS also serves other function including air ambulance, fire fighting, aerial photography/surveying, good transportation, airport ATC training, supporting police operation etc.

p.s. I don't think PRC has a Coast Guard like the US and Japan, just the PLA Navy. May someone knows that confirm me.
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #2198
hkskyline
Hong Kong

China Eastern's jet tyres burst on landing in Hong Kong

HONG KONG, Nov 6, 2007 (AFP) - Two tyres on an Airbus A330-300 operated by China Eastern Airlines blew out on landing in Hong Kong on Tuesday but no one was hurt, the carrier said.

The incident occured just before noon at the end of a regular flight from Shanghai's Pudong international airport, the company said in a statement.

The accident had "no major impact" on operations at the Hong Kong airport, the Shanghai-based carrier said, without specifying how many people were on board.

It was the second such incident this year.

In January, four tyres on a China Eastern Boeing 737 with 100 people aboard burst on landing in Shanghai's Hongqiao airport. No one was hurt, but the airport was forced to close for several hours.

A Hong Kong airport spokesman confirmed that operations were unaffected by the incident.

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2199
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Express Airways to fly to Nepal from November

KATHMANDU, Nov. 8 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong Express Airways, China' s Hong Kong-based airline, is planning to begin thrice-weekly direct flights between Hong Kong and Kathmandu from the end of November, The Kathmandu Post reported on Thursday.

"We are going to operate flights by Boeing 737-800 aircraft from Nov. 29," said Bhola Bikram Thapa, president of President Travels, the airline 's general sales agent in Nepal.

He said that work was progressing on a war footing to commence operations. "We are awaiting final approval from the Nepali government," he was quoted by the daily as saying.

He added that the operation would help increase the flow of tourists to Nepal as the tourism industry was facing an air seats crunch.

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2200
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Dragonair Press Release:
DRAGONAIR BECOMES A MEMBER OF THE oneworld ALLIANCE

Tags
east asian hub airport, hong kong