daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being SUPER and 1 being BAD, what would you rate the Airport??
1 3 3.57%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 1.19%
7 7 8.33%
8 9 10.71%
9 28 33.33%
10 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #3121
seven13

Likes (Received): 68

Can I access the skydeck after I check in?? Is it far from the departure hall??
seven13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #3122
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven13 View Post
Can I access the skydeck after I check in?? Is it far from the departure hall??
the skydeck is located in terminal 2 in the unrestricted area. it's opened to the public with an admission fee (HK$10 or 20, i forgot)
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #3123
seven13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
the skydeck is located in terminal 2 in the unrestricted area. it's opened to the public with an admission fee (HK$10 or 20, i forgot)
Can I go to the skydeck after I have check-in?
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #3124
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18192

Quote:
Can I go to the skydeck after I have check-in?
Yes - it is a public area open to all. After Skydeck, you can go through immigration at T2 and take a train to T1 for your flight.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3125
seven13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Yes - it is a public area open to all. After Skydeck, you can go through immigration at T2 and take a train to T1 for your flight.
my flight is on PR so it is on T2.

Just a recap, after checked-in --> skydeck--> immigration --> departure hall??
What about check-in-->immigration-->skydeck-->departure hall? Is it possible?
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3126
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
my flight is on PR so it is on T2.

Just a recap, after checked-in --> skydeck--> immigration --> departure hall??
What about check-in-->immigration-->skydeck-->departure hall? Is it possible?
after checked-in --> skydeck--> immigration --> departure hall?? YES

As a matter of fact, you dont even have to check-in before going to the skydeck, you don't need a flight ticket to go there, it is open to the public.

check-in-->immigration-->skydeck-->departure hall? Is it possible? NO

As someone mentioned before, the skydeck is located at the public area, so you can't go to the skydeck after going through the immigration process.

caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3127
seven13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
after checked-in --> skydeck--> immigration --> departure hall?? YES

As a matter of fact, you dont even have to check-in before going to the skydeck, you don't need a flight ticket to go there, it is open to the public.

check-in-->immigration-->skydeck-->departure hall? Is it possible? NO

As someone mentioned before, the skydeck is located at the public area, so you can't go to the skydeck after going through the immigration process.

Alright! Thank you very much!
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3128
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Swiss chef sends delights into the wide blue yonder
4 September 2009
South China Morning Post

The kitchen delights of Chesa are heading upwards from the Peninsula hotel. No it's not another location or even a hotel in the city, but on Swiss airlines - and it's only for those in business and first class.

The hospitality partnership was announced on Wednesday at a lunch, which included some of the dishes served on flights between Hong Kong and Zurich. The Penn's Swiss executive chef Florian Trento presented the culinary delights.

"I'm very excited because [tonight] the flights taking off will have our food," Trento, a Hong Kong resident for 15 years, said. "Airline catering is new to me. You develop the recipes and give them away hoping everything would be fine. I've learned that to serve meals at 30,000 feet in the air is very different."

For better or worse, the choice in the sky won't just be fondue or chocolate. "The biggest challenge for me is to translate the taste of the food into practical serving methods in the air. The creative restrictions begin at food preparation 24 hours before take off, then it will be reheated. Also, I'm not sure if the catering chefs would be able to follow the recipes exactly step by step.

At the hotel I could do any garnishing or decoration, but not so in the aircraft. The biggest problem is the appetiser. I have to figure out how to put the cold food directly onto the plate in the original form. It would be interesting for me to try the same menu on the ground and in the air."

However, for Markus Binkert, the Swiss airlines executive in charge of products and services who flew in for the event, it wasn't the new catering that made the biggest impression on him. "The garden suite's view is better than the Swiss mountains," he said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3129
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Alright! Thank you very much!
Once you have cleared immigration, you can hover around the terminal to spot planes parked at the terminal. That can pre-occupy an hour or two.

Old September 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3130
seven13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Once you have cleared immigration, you can hover around the terminal to spot planes parked at the terminal. That can pre-occupy an hour or two.
Sometimes it's hard to take a picture inside the terminal because of the reflection on the glass windows.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3131
mynameisidan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

http://***************/ref.php?id=764
mynameisidan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3132
mynameisidan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

http://***************/ref.php?id=764
mynameisidan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #3133
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Mag pulls ad as cops probe air ticket `racket'
4 September 2009
The Standard

A magazine has suspended advertising from a firm offering discount air tickets after a customer complaint sparked a police investigation.

Andrew Cunningham filed the complaint at the end of last month after promised air tickets failed to materialize.

Cunningham told The Standard he saw an ad for cheaperflights.co.cc in the August 1 issue of bc Magazine.

He contacted the travel agent via e-mail and got a quote of 1,020 (HK$12,900) for two American Airlines round-trip tickets from Hong Kong to New York to Florida and back to Hong Kong in October. Payment was to be made to a bank account in Spain.

``I thought it was a little bit fishy, so I contacted the magazine and American Airlines,'' Cunningham said.

He said the magazine assured him it had not received any complaints and the airline confirmed reservations had been made for him and his wife, so Cunningham deposited the money in the Spanish account in mid-August.

``I even recommended the site to a friend who was going to buy air tickets to the Philippines,'' Cunningham said.

But his friend did an internet search and found comments made by others claiming they had paid the agent but never received tickets.

Cunningham e-mailed the agent again and was told the tickets were on their way.

The airlines informed him the reservations were made but no payment had been received.

He also contacted the magazine several times only to be told there had been no complaints about the advertiser.

``I'm very disappointed with the magazine which should be somewhat responsible for my loss,'' Cunningham said.

A police spokesman confirmed it had received Cunningham's report on August 29 and that the case had been classified as a ``deception.''

Publisher of bc Magazine Simon Durrant said the advertiser had been contacted and the advertisement suspended until the dispute was resolved.

``It is purely a trade dispute between Mr Cunningham and the party concerned. You cannot blame the magazine for running an ad for a restaurant if you don't enjoy the meal,'' Durrant said.

A Consumer Council spokeswoman said local travel agents with real street addresses are more reliable because law enforcement and investigation could be conducted more efficiently should any complaint or scam arise.

Travelers should also check if an online travel agent is licensed before making purchases.

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Air services agreement with Lao People's Democratic Republic signed
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Government Press Release

Hong Kong's 60th air services agreement was signed in Hong Kong today (September 9) with the Lao People's Democratic Republic.

Secretary for Transport and Housing, Ms Eva Cheng, and Minister of Public Works and Transport of the Lao People's Democratic Republic, H. E. Mr Sommad Pholsena, signed the agreement between the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the Government of the Lao People's Democratic Republic.

The agreement provides a legal framework for establishing air links between Hong Kong and the Lao People's Democratic Republic, which will boost tourism and contribute to economic development.

"It is in our mutual interest to establish direct air links between the two places," Ms Cheng said at the signing ceremony.

"The signing of the agreement is in line with our policy of progressive liberalisation in air services between Hong Kong and our aviation partners."

Aviation partners that have signed air services agreements with Hong Kong are listed in the Annex.

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0909090149.htm

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #3135
hkskyline
Hong Kong

INDIA'S KINGFISHER TO START FLIGHTS TO HK, SINGAPORE FROM MUMBAI
10 September 2009
Asia Pulse

NEW DELHI, Sept 10 Asia Pulse - Expanding its network of destinations in South-East Asia, Kingfisher Airlines (BSE: 532747) will commence daily non-stop flights from Mumbai to Hong Kong and Mumbai to Singapore from Sept 15 and 16 respectively.

"Given the strong linkages between India and South-East Asia, we believe that there is untapped potential and these new routes promise to serve the unmet needs of discerning corporate and leisure fliers," Kingfisher Airlines Vice- President (Global Sales) Siva Ramachandran said in a statement.

The airline will deploy Airbus A330 aircraft for both the services.

Kingfisher, with a fleet of 71 aircraft, currently flies to five overseas destinations - London, Dubai, Bangkok, Colombo and Dhaka.

Old September 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #3136
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Aug air cargo marks smallest decline in a year

HONG KONG, Sept 9 (Reuters) - Air cargo throughput via Hong Kong fell 6.2 percent in August, the smallest monthly decline in a year and imported cargo rose for the first time since May 2008, a further indication that global trade flows are improving, data from Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Ltd showed on Wednesday.

Year-on-year change in air cargo via Hong Kong:

Code:
  Aug     Jul    Jun    May    Apr    Mar    Feb    Jan    Dec
 -6.2    -8.4  -14.4  -18.6  -22.5  -21.1  -22.0  -30.9  -29.7
Hong Kong is a re-export centre for trade between Asia and the rest of the world.

Air cargo volumes through Hong Kong in August totalled 206,810 tonnes.

Breakdown of air cargo handled by Hactl in August:

Code:
                  August 2009         Jan-Aug 2009
             Tonnage    Yr/Yr        Tonnage   Yr/Yr
             (tonnes)  growth (pct)  (tonnes)  growth (pct)
 Export          107,946   -10.1        725,439   -22.3
 Import           55,973     4.0        381,912   -14.9
 Transshipment    42,891    -8.2        304,374    -9.3
 ------------------------------------------------------
 Total           206,810    -6.2      1,411,725   -17.9

Old September 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #3137
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Author : http://ecfoto.net/chanchinfung

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #3138
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

HKIA's Passenger Traffic Up, Cargo Registers Milder Drop in August
2009-09-13
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/m...es/pr_970.html

(HONG KONG, 13 September 2009) – Hong Kong International Airport's (HKIA) traffic figures continued to improve in August, with passenger throughput growing 2.8% from the same period last year to 4.3 million. Meanwhile, the decline in cargo volume slowed to a single-digit figure of 5.2%, recording 295,000 tonnes, while air traffic movements decreased by 6.7% to 23,710.

Though cargo exports and transshipments still experienced volume declines in the range of 7 to 8% year on year, imports grew at approximately 4%, the first sign of positive growth since June 2008. While a number of export markets including Europe, North America and Japan continued to record double-digit drops, Taiwan was the only transshipment market to register a double-digit decline. On the passenger side, Hong Kong residents and transfer/ transit passengers showed year-on-year growth of 12% and 1%, respectively. Visitor number, however, fell slightly by 1%.

Stanley Hui Hon-chung, Chief Executive Officer of Airport Authority Hong Kong, said, "August performance is in line with the stabilisation trend we have noted in recent months. Following double-digit drops in cargo throughput for eight consecutive months from November 2008, the 5.2% decrease in August shows further improvement from July's 8.3% decline. However, the narrowed drop should be viewed against the background that both passenger and cargo volumes started to show first signs of slowdown in August 2008.

"Looking ahead, we expect to see further improvement in air cargo demand and load factor as a result of reduced freighter capacity supply and a seasonal demand increase in the market. Meanwhile, although August saw mild growth in passenger traffic, we maintain a cautious outlook on the performance as global economy and aviation are only in the very early stage of a slow and possibly volatile recovery," said Mr Hui.

From January to August, the airport received some 30.7 million passengers, processed 2 million tonnes of cargo and handled 185,290 aircraft movements, representing yearly declines of 6.9%, 16.5% and 7.9%, respectively.

On a rolling 12-month basis, passenger throughput was down 6.1% year-on-year to 46.3 million. While aircraft movements dropped slightly by 5.6% to 285,340, cargo volume slid 16.2% to 3.2 million tonnes.

Last edited by caelus; September 13th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #3139
hkskyline
Hong Kong

It rose? Interesting ... hard to believe this year's summer boom could be better than last year's.

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3140
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By bae146 from HKADB :

Tags
east asian hub airport, hong kong