daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being SUPER and 1 being BAD, what would you rate the Airport??
1 3 3.57%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 1.19%
7 7 8.33%
8 9 10.71%
9 28 33.33%
10 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3641
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7772003 View Post
It is obvious that your "personal experience" lacks knowledge of the development and history of the airline industry. The hub-and-spoke concept was not developed until the late 1970s.
I'm glad they worked well in the past, so based on your knowledge, the true is that, they did follow the original plans. My apology for making a false assumption based on my personal experience. Apparently the authorities carried on the same successful logic that worked 3 decades ago to the present, & continue the expansions based on those concepts. I guess whatever happens in the present is forgiven then, because it used to work very well & shall not be altered.

Quote:
Once upon a time, PAN AM JFK Worldport was an airy terminal. There is no guarantee that these airy and spacious hubs in Asia will always stay the way they are now and remain suitable for the air traffic needs decades from now.
I never said that those shiny airports in asia will stay the same over time, in fact HKG is getting a bit outdated already.

Last edited by caelus; January 17th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3642
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
I'm glad they worked well in the past, so based on your knowledge, the true is that, they did follow the original plans. My apology for making a false assumption based on my personal experience. Apparently the authorities carried on the same successful logic that worked 3 decades ago to the present, & continue the expansions based on those concepts. I guess whatever happens in the present is forgiven then, because it used to work very well & shall not be altered.

Quote:
It would not be easy to build HKG at all if it were built today.
Do not forget that the problems with the third runway plan for HKG now. These problems were umimaginable in Hong Kong back in the 1980s. It is impossible to significantly expand JFK, SFO and BOS now because it is forbidden to reclaim more lands from the bays. LHR is a very ancient airport, originally designed for cross-wind operations, far away from London, with its third runway plan rejected in the midst of intense political controversies. In fact, it was already nightmares for many developed countries to "start over" with new airports several decades ago because of protests of all sorts. Furthermore, cost has been a major problem for maintaining, expanding and constructing airports in the developed countries for decades. By the way, take some time to study the complete history on the contstruction of the third FRA runway.

Stop defending your irrelevant post. HKG was built in the past and the current dual runway layout was believed to be sufficient to serve close to 90 million passengers. The original masterplan did not include Terminal 2, the northfield Terminal, the upcoming linear satellite concourse, etc. In short, the original masterplan for HKG will not work for the long-term at all.

Last edited by aab7772003; January 18th, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #3643
kgl

Likes (Received): 143

kgl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #3644
caelus

Quote:
Stop defending your irrelevant post. HKG was built in the past and the current dual runway layout was believed to be sufficient to serve close to 90 million passengers. The original masterplan did not include Terminal 2, the northfield Terminal, the upcoming linear satellite concourse, etc. In short, the original masterplan for HKG will not work for the long-term at all.
I'm not defending anything, what the hell are you talking about??? From the beginning I thought the reason for the current state of their airports is not that they don't have money for maintenance, its because they changed the old master plans to accommodate the growing traffic & the strange layout of the expansions affects the operation efficiency. I only assumed the inefficiency of the airport's operation is due to the flawed design of those concourse, & the reason they built it that way is because of the conflict between the old master plans & the altered ones. I didn't assume their old plans will run well now have they followed it on expansions. And then you corrected me that some of them did follow their plans, & the expansions were meant to be built that way, it just the plans don't work that well in the present & facing tight budget & taxpayers' backlash it's too late to build a new one now. (I don't know which scenario is worse )& thats what we up to are you with me?

& for the second time, I didn't say HKG will last long at all. HKG runs well because the old one was abandoned & we built a new one elsewhere, the plan is only 2 decades old, it was designed for "this generation" so runs better than those in the west. What you said about HKG is exactly what i have in mind, except the original master plan, care to enlighten me on how did you find that? I remember seeing one long time ago, I know that NSC & the mid-field 20 bays linear concourse weren't part of the plan, I remember they didn't plan anything on the mid field yet, & they have underestimated the current growth rate of HKG, the capacity is nowhere near 90m as you claimed, I'm not talking about master plan 2020 or newer.

Last edited by caelus; January 18th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #3645
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18180

I think the third runway will be built in the end once there is a sufficient environmental assessment plan done to mitigate the impact on the dolphins. The airport is far enough from the population centres to render noise issues like what Heathrow and Narita faced. Don't think we'll see a repeat of the protests and problems they faced in HK.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3646
caelus

I heard that the proposed third runway is like this:

-----------(3rd)
...............l
...............l
........-------------(north runway)

........(terminal)

........-------------(south)
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3647
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
...What you said about HKG is exactly what i have in mind, except the original master plan, care to enlighten me on how did you find that? I remember seeing one long time ago, I know that NSC & the mid-field 20 bays linear concourse weren't part of the plan, I remember they didn't plan anything on the mid field yet, & they have underestimated the current growth rate of HKG, the capacity is nowhere near 90m as you claimed, I'm not talking about master plan 2020 or newer.

Those who are old enough remember that the original ultimate HKG masterplan for 88 million passengers was consisted of the current terminal 1 with two more modules expanded in the current check-in concourse to provide more check-in floor space, one x-shape midfield terminal, two current runways for more than 70% of flights operated by wide-bodies aircraft, NO provisions for executive aviation at all. The masterplan was widely circulated at the time of the airport construction. Very few airport designs were flawed from the very beginning, but most of them have begun to look impractical after the airports have started operations for a few years, such as HKG.

Last edited by aab7772003; January 19th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3648
caelus

image hosted on flickr

Taken by dcmaster
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #3649
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By clwong from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3650
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Budget carriers set regional expansions
21 January 2011
Manila Standard

BUDGET carriers Southeast Asian Airlines, AirPhil Express and Cebu Pacific are launching new regional routes this year as they expand their fleet of big aircraft.

SEAir president Avelino Zapanta told reporters in an interview that the carrier will continue to enter into aircraft lease agreements with Tiger Airways despite massive opposition from other local carriers.

“Definitely, we’re leasing more and entering to more agreements with Tiger Airways. Within this year, we will have more than what we have leased last year,” he said.

He said SEAir plans to lease at least four Airbuses from Tiger Airways to be deployed to more regional flights.

“We will launch flights to Macau and Hong Kong next month using the other Airbus we leased from Tiger. We are also looking at Bangkok, Taipei and Seoul,” Zapanta said.

AirPhil Express chief operating officer Cesar Chiong said in a separate interview that the carrier will be launching daily flights to Hong Kong from Cebu in April. A Singapore service, launched in October, is Airphil’s first and only international operation.

“We are targeting so many routes including Busan, Bangkok, and Guangzhou, but it will depend on approvals from CAB [Civil Aeronautics Board]. We already have pending applications with them,” Chiong said.

He said Airphil, a sister company of Philippine Airlines, is acquiring three to five brand new Airbus 320 jets this year. “We are not yet sure. We are still on the budgeting stage,” Chiong said.

AirPhil has said it has a budget of $250 million to acquire 20 new Airbuses in the next two years.

Gokongwei-led Cebu Pacific is also joining the other carriers in their regional expansion as the airline is set to launch Manila-Busan flights in June and offer Xiamen services again.

“Our growth this year will be faster in international,” Cebu Pacific vice president for commercial planning Alex Reyes said in an interview.

He added that the carrier is interested in launching flights to Tokyo but is still impeded by the ban on local carriers to add flights to Japan issued by Japan Civil Aviation Bureau.

“We already have flights to Osaka but we want to launch flights to other cities in Japan,” Reyes added.

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3651
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

Good to hear that HKIA is getting popular for LCC
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3652
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

ANA's B737 is hardly seen in Hong Kong, no idea if it's a charter flight or not.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3653
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/521/5218083.html

Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM   #3654
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 哈曼 from a Hong Kong discussion forum :

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3655
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Aviation Passenger Fuel Surcharges adjusted
Government Press Release
Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Civil Aviation Department (CAD) today (January 20) gave approval for passenger fuel surcharges levied by two airlines to be increased for the period from February 1 to 28.

The new maximum levels of fuel surcharges will be $143 for short-haul flights and $677 for long-haul flights, which represent an increase of 11% and 9% from the current maximum levels for short and long haul flights respectively. The applicable surcharge levels are based on the ticket issue date. (These airlines and their newly approved fuel surcharge levels are listed in the Annex.)

Passenger fuel surcharges seek to allow airlines to partially recover the increase in operational costs due to fluctuations in aviation fuel prices. As the aeronautical authority in Hong Kong, the CAD considers and approves fuel surcharge applications from the airlines in accordance with bilateral Air Services Agreements.

Passenger fuel surcharges are reviewed regularly by the CAD. The last review was done at the end of December 2010 when the maximum surcharge levels approved by the CAD were $129 for short-haul flights and $621 for long-haul flights.

Annex : http://gia.info.gov.hk/general/20110...0171_74514.pdf

Old January 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3656
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay worker denies flight bribes
The Standard
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A former Cathay Pacific employee denies taking bribes amounting to HK$10,000 to help mainland travelers sneak overseas via Hong Kong International Airport.

Gordon Ng Ka-wah, a former Cathay Pacific customer services officer, appeared in District Court yesterday on two counts of conspiracy to accept bribes. He was arrested on August 13, 2009.

Ng, along with another member of Cathay Pacific staff and others, is accused of involvement in a human trafficking syndicate that used the airport as a hub for transferring illegal immigrants.

They are alleged to have helped issue boarding passes for travelers in exchange for cash.

Prosecutors representing the Independent Commission Against Corruption allege Ng received bribes of more than HK$10,000 between December 2008 and August 2009.

In return, he was asked to ensure that a number of mainlanders could successfully check in for their flights.

Ng, 30, is also alleged to have passed on security information obtained from the Cathay Pacific computer system to a man called Tsui Ying-kit.

Prosecutors said Ng would receive between HK$500 and HK$600 for each person successfully processed.

The other Cathay Pacific staff member involved, Tan Wei-menn, has pleaded guilty and agreed to become a prosecution witness.

Tsui, who was allegedly responsible for arranging for travelers to fly out of Hong Kong, was arrested and released on bail.

However, he later fled the territory.

The prosecution alleged ground staff were instructed to "ask fewer questions" in order to "quicken the check-in procedures" and issue boarding passes for travelers arranged by Tsui without going through the proper procedures.

When he was arrested, Ng told investigators he had been kept in the dark over the nature of the business being operated.

Two other people, Patrick Cheung Chun-wah and Thomas Chan Kin-hung, have pleaded guilty to being involved.

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3657
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Airport Authority Unveils Phase 1 Midfield Development

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/m...s/pr_1020.html

Airport Authority Unveils Phase 1 Midfield Development

(HONG KONG, 25 January 2011) – Airport Authority Hong Kong (AA) today unveiled phase 1 of its midfield development project and celebrated the on-time, on-budget completion of a HK$4.5 billion facility enhancement project for Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA).

The $7 billion phase 1 development of the midfield includes the building of a new midfield concourse with 20 aircraft parking stands, a new cross-field taxiway and the extension of the existing automated people mover (APM) to the midfield concourse.

Construction will start in the third quarter of this year and the project is expected to generate 2,000 job opportunities. Phase 1 development is targeted for completion by the end of 2015.

The midfield area is located to the west of Terminal 1 and between the two existing runways. It is the last piece of land on the airport island available for large-scale development.

Officiating at the ceremony, the Secretary for Transport and Housing, Eva Cheng, said, "HKIA has always been providing world-class services for passengers and cargo, thanks to AA for making timely investments in improving facilities to enhance the handling capacity of the airport. On the software front, the government will continue to pursue a progressive liberalisation policy on air services, encouraging airlines to add more services so as to strengthen the international network and transit role of the airport."

Ms Cheng also mentioned that AA would launch a public consultation exercise on the HKIA Master Plan 2030 in the first half of this year. She said that such consultation, the focus of work this year, was important to Hong Kong"s status as an aviation centre and Hong Kong's long-term economic development. She called on members of the public and the aviation industry to provide valuable comments on the strategic developments of the airport in the next 20 years.

The Chairman of the AA, Dr Marvin Cheung Kin-tung, said, "Equipping HKIA with sufficient handling capacity is key to strengthening Hong Kong's competitiveness as a leading regional and international aviation centre, and a preferred gateway to the Mainland. To meet future demand, the new midfield concourse with 20 aircraft parking stands will ultimately enable about 10 million passengers a year to embark and disembark aircraft using air bridges at this concourse."

In phase 1 works, eleven of the 20 aircraft parking stands to be built at the midfield are bridge-served, inclusive of some stands equipped with three air bridges designed for superjumbo aircraft A380. The remaining nine stands are operational stands not being connected to the midfield concourse with air bridges in phase 1 works.

"Moving ahead, the upcoming midfield development project, together with our long-term development blueprint, HKIA Master Plan 2030, will become the most important corporate projects of the AA. They will position HKIA for future challenges and opportunities," Dr Cheung added.

As part of the AA's continuing green efforts, a series of environmental initiatives are also being incorporated into the design of the midfield development project. The floor-to-ceiling façade in the new passenger concourse will use high-performance glazing that will reflect over 40% of solar heat, thereby reducing the use of air conditioning; north-facing skylights will maximise natural lighting in the centre of the building; low-energy lighting with daylight sensors will reduce energy consumption; and low-polluting recycled water-cooled chillers for air conditioning will also be adopted to reduce power consumption. Furthermore, recycled asphalt from runway resurfacing will be used to construct the apron of the midfield.

Commenting on the adoption of these green features, Chief Executive Officer of the AA Stanley Hui Hon-chung said, "Sustainable development has always been an integral aspect of the airport's operations and development. The design of the midfield concourse will follow HK BEAM PLUS, a recognised method for assessing the environmental performance of buildings."

Since the fiscal year of 2003/2004, the AA has been investing an average of $2 billion a year to enhance and expand HKIA's facilities. Started in 2006, the $4.5 billion facility enhancement project covered expansion and improvements at Terminal 1 and the airfield. Major upgrades at Terminal 1 included merging the original two arrivals immigration halls into one, reconfiguring the departures immigration halls, doubling the baggage handling system capacity to 16,000 bags per hour, and increasing the number of facilities such as airline transfer desks, immigration counters and security channels.

On the airfield, the North Satellite Concourse commenced operations last year with two storeys and ten bridge-served stands for small aircraft. Ten additional freighter stands and an associated taxi lane were also constructed.

The new midfield five-level concourse will comprise total floor area of 73,000 sqm and ceiling height comparable to that of Terminal 1.

The design of midfield concourse adopts a series of green initiatives, including floor-to-ceiling high performance glazing in the concourse façade, reduced height west facade and north facing skylights in the design to optimise natural lighting and reduce solar heat gain.

The phase 1 of the new midfield concourse will be built with 20 aircraft parking stands, 11 of them are bridge-served.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3658
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So the next bottleneck will be whether we have sufficient luggage belts @ arrivals!

Old January 25th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #3659
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/521/5216590.html

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3660
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...23446,00.html?

Quote:
Published January 26, 2011
HK unveils development plan for airport

HK$7b Phase One includes a midfield concourse with 20 parking stands

(HONG KONG) The Airport Authority Hong Kong (AA) yesterday unveiled Phase One midfield development project of Hong Kong International Airport.

The AA said in a statement that the HK$7 billion (S$1.2 billion) Phase One development of the midfield includes the building of a new midfield concourse with 20 aircraft parking stands, a new cross-field taxiway and the extension of the existing automated people mover (APM) to the midfield concourse.

AA chairman Marvin Cheung Kin-tung said: 'Equipping Hong Kong International Airport with sufficient handling capacity is key to strengthening Hong Kong's competitiveness as a leading regional and international aviation centre, and a preferred gateway to the Mainland.'

'To meet future demand, the new midfield concourse with 20 aircraft parking stands will ultimately enable about 10 million passengers a year to embark and disembark aircraft using air bridges at this concourse,' he added.

In Phase One, 11 of the 20 aircraft parking stands to be built at the midfield are bridge-served, inclusive of some stands equipped with three air bridges designed for superjumbo aircraft A380. The remaining nine stands are operational stands not connected to the midfield concourse with air bridges under Phase One.

AA chief executive officer Stanley Hui Hon-chung added: 'Sustainable development has always been an integral aspect of the airport's operations and development. The design of the midfield concourse will follow HK BEAM PLUS, a recognised method for assessing the environmental performance of buildings.'

Construction will start in the third quarter of this year and the project is expected to generate 2,000 job opportunities.

Phase One development is targeted for completion by the end of 2015.

The midfield area is located to the west of Terminal One and between the two existing runways. It is the last piece of land on the airport island available for large-scale development.

Meanwhile, the AA celebrated the on-time, on-budget completion of an HK$4.5 billion facility enhancement project at the Hong Kong International Airport.

Started in 2006, the facility enhancement project covered expansion and improvements at Terminal One and the airfield.

Major upgrades at Terminal One included merging the original two arrival immigration halls into one, reconfiguring the departure immigration halls, doubling the baggage handling system capacity to 16,000 bags per hour, and increasing the number of facilities such as airline transfer desks, immigration counters and security channels.

On the airfield, the North Satellite Concourse commenced operations last year. Ten additional freighter stands and an associated taxi lane were also constructed. -- Xinhua

Tags
east asian hub airport, hong kong