daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being SUPER and 1 being BAD, what would you rate the Airport??
1 3 3.57%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 1.19%
7 7 8.33%
8 9 10.71%
9 28 33.33%
10 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1421
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/pr_821.html

I figured out from this rendering, as well as the video available in atv news (check atv.com.hk and go to the online tv section, and click news. 1/26/2006 news at around 16:45 mins into the video) that the location of this new terminal is the north side of the current PTB (somewhere northwest of the skymall). That big square of off-terminal stands would be the location of this new terminal. Video from news show there would be APM connecting it. I personnally think it is a bad idea to put the terminal there. Why not put it on the west side of the current PTB? there is a triangle off-terminal stand area, and the current APM system already run under it (the track was constructed up to around the control tower when the airport was completed in 1998)
oh btw, i've just read the newspaper... there won't be APM connecting the new satellite terminal... passengers will needa take transitting bus to get there.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1422
Terrence
100% made in Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 0

But the factsheet issued by HKIA doesn't mention any information about the extension plan of existing APM, so I fear HKIA is trying to piss passengers off!!!!!
Terrence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1423
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill
oh btw, i've just read the newspaper... there won't be APM connecting the new satellite terminal... passengers will needa take transitting bus to get there.
which newspaper?
i am not sure, if you check out the video in atv (video provided by airport authority). You can clearly see there will be APM system inside the new terminal.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1424
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence
But the factsheet issued by HKIA doesn't mention any information about the extension plan of existing APM, so I fear HKIA is trying to piss passengers off!!!!!
it is not in the expansion plan because extension of train was part of the plan when the airport terminal was originally designed. Trains can be ordered and easily added to the current system according to usage increase. The platform length was also designed to serve longer train. I guess it is such a small upgrade that the AA didn't mention it.

Last edited by vincent; January 27th, 2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #1425
solowoo

I also read from the news that passengers would travel to the satellite terminal by shuttle bus. Check this out:
http://www.mingpaonews.com/20060127/gsk2.htm

Would it not lengthen the time of boarding and thus inconvenience passengers, especially considering that those small planes usually serve short flights?
solowoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1426
vincent

據了解,該客運廊位於客運大樓的右翼,旅客將透過乘搭穿梭巴士前往該客運廊。另外,亦會重鋪2條跑道及增建滑行道,及增建10個貨運泊位等。

客運大樓的右翼 means the North side of the terminal? (you can say it is left or right depending on which direction you are looking at)
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1427
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Exterior:

Interior:

It looks cheap. Was hoping they'd match the roof style of the main building. It'd only take one or two of those giant arcing wedges.
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #1428
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18219

6.5 million travelers on move for holidays
Mimi Lau
28 January 2006
Hong Kong Standard

About 6.5 million people, nearly equivalent to the total population of Hong Kong, are expected to enter or leave the SAR over the next few days, the Immigration Department said.

A large number of these will merely be passing through Hong Kong International Airport en route to other countries. The Lunar New Year "Golden Week," as it is dubbed by the tourist trade, began Friday with airport authorities reporting a record 870 designated flights, 12 percent more than the previous high of 827 on October 28 last year.

The Civil Aviation Department said 21 airlines have submitted requests to operate 333 additional scheduled flights and 333 ad-hoc charters _ a total of 666 extra flights between January 24 and February 9.

Taipei is the most popular destination, followed by Bangkok, Seoul, Sapporo and Tokyo.

A spokesman for the Immigration Department said Hong Kong could expect around 505,000 mainland visitors during this period, an increase of 8 percent over last year.

To cope with the influx, an extra 144 staff will be deployed to all border checkpoints and the airport, the spokesman said.

China Travel Service Inbound Visitor Department deputy general manager Yeung Chi-kwan said the influx of visitors for the holidays is expected to be higher than for the last National Day holiday week, Christmas or New Year.

"It appears the shopping needs of mainland visitors have rebounded," Yeung said.

A spokesman for the Airport Authority said contingency measures have been made should flights be delayed by bad weather.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1429
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

I don't see how they can feed a shuttle bus service into the terminal if its not underground. And if its underground, why not a PMS instead?

It looks kinda budget to me. Other than for the aerobridges, I would have thought the authorities were building something budget. Simple exterior and interiors, shuttle bus services, terminal for small planes and few parking bays.

Where is it located? I thought the plan only calls for a main terminal, the extension of the main terminal, the skyplaza and the airfield x shaped terminal, all resulting in a maximum capacity of 87 million eventually?
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #1430
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by solowoo
I also read from the news that passengers would travel to the satellite terminal by shuttle bus. Check this out:
http://www.mingpaonews.com/20060127/gsk2.htm

Would it not lengthen the time of boarding and thus inconvenience passengers, especially considering that those small planes usually serve short flights?
The bus station is located just after immigration, so it's quite convenient for passengers after they enter the restricted area. Pass immigration, go downstairs, board a bus, and it takes you all the way to the plane. It's much more convenient than taking the people mover to the furthest stretch of the terminal. Likewise, passengers arriving at HKIA on regional jets will be let off the bus right in front of immigration.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #1431
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
btw, the ME assitant professor interview right after that video would make some very stupid comments. Like saying airplane usually take off to the south to avoid Tai Mo Shan (Mountain). And then "go around garden" saying taking consideration of bad weather etc. I think the hk civil aviation department knows a million times better than what this guy is trying to "teach"
Well, ATV is famous for interviewing the wrong people all the time. The worst i have seen is asking some electrical engineer for some ME problems.
He might have a point there. I have never taken off on the north runway, although I've landed there many times though. The flight path does skirt the Tai Mo Shan area and Tsuen Wan. That's why Nina Tower had to be cut shorter.

From an earlier page in this thread :

Old January 28th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #1432
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New Air Route Links Wuxi and Hong Kong
By Ke Lu
26 January 2006
China Daily

Wuxi Airport today celebrates the launching of its first passenger service to Hong Kong, providing direct transport from the Yangtze River Delta region to the flourishing international hub.

The new route means that Wuxi airport will be able to function as an open port.

A temporary exit-entry administration office has been set up to handle exit-entry procedures during the Spring Festival which falls on January 29 this year.

Wuxi Airport was opened in February 2004 for passenger flights, and ranks 44th among the country's 133 airports in terms of passenger and freight throughput.

Located in the centre of the Yangtze River Delta - China's economic powerhouse, Wuxi neighbours Nanjing and Shanghai and is one of East China's transportation hubs.

With a land area of 4,788 square kilometres and a population of 4.47 million, the city has a long tradition of industrial and commercial development.

A century ago, it was home to China's first modern industrial and commercial enterprises.

With an average annual temperature of 16 C and an excellent natural environment, Wuxi offers good living conditions.

Today, occupying 0.05 per cent of the nation's land area, and home to 0.4 per cent of its population, Wuxi generates 4.5 per cent of China's total economic volume.

The city's per capita output value amounted to US$6,200 last year, making it the foremost among Chinese cities.

Wuxi also has strong education and technical research sectors.

The city's 11 higher learning institutions have provided many qualified professionals, much needed for the development of high-tech industries.

The city administration has also set up science parks, software parks, key laboratories and engineering centres to foster technical innovation.

Wuxi is also one of the most important manufacturing centres in the Yangtze River Delta.

Its pillar industries, including electronics, machinery and automobile, textile and garments, biological pharmaceuticals, and new materials, have contributed to more than 50 per cent of Wuxi's gross domestic product.

Wuxi now ranks seventh among China's large and medium-sized cities in terms of industrial scale.

It is also an important production base for integrated circuit chips, electronic components and optical communications products.

The city's solid industrial foundation makes it possible to develop other industries, especially the service industry.

Thanks to its high growth and ever-increasing potential, the city is witnessing a rapid rise in foreign investment.

So far, more than 8,800 foreign enterprises have landed in Wuxi, with 116 projects funded by 63 companies out of the world's top 500.

Wuxi's trading partners are from over 180 countries and regions.

Old January 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #1433
busdriver

Likes (Received): 2

The turn to go around Tai Mo Shan is quite a bit more obvious on departures to the north (into China via BEKOL).

http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/AIP/A...20to%2097H.pdf
Page 3

Last edited by busdriver; January 28th, 2006 at 11:21 AM.
busdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1434
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
Exterior:

Interior:

It looks cheap. Was hoping they'd match the roof style of the main building. It'd only take one or two of those giant arcing wedges.
The bottom pic show the interior of the CURRENT terminal (arrival level) after the removal of office on one side. It has nothing to do with the new terminal. I guess all of you take a look of the atv news video that i mentioned to get a better understanding of this project.
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #1435
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
He might have a point there. I have never taken off on the north runway, although I've landed there many times though. The flight path does skirt the Tai Mo Shan area and Tsuen Wan. That's why Nina Tower had to be cut shorter.

From an earlier page in this thread :

hkskyline, i guess you misunderstood what i wrote there. That professor was saying planes usually take off toward the south-western direction (he didn't mention north or south runway. If he is that intelligent, i wouldn't fire on him like this) because they can avoid the Tai Mo Shan.

My reasoning:
1. The direction which air traffic control selected for planes to take-off or land is almost solely depending on the direction of wind in order to maximize the lift for planes, unless there are major terrain or obstruction (like the Kai Tak airport). Tai Mo Shan is definitely not a "major" obstruction.

2. When planes take-off toward the south-west direction, that means planes that are proceeding to land will have flight path that is very close to Tai Mo Shan (using the north runway) and they are coming in from the north-east side. That pretty much contradict his point of "avoiding" the Tai Mo Shan.

3. When the airport were first designed in the 90's, as well as the expertises of the HK civil aviation department, all these airport location trade-off studies, flight path studies were already conducted by industry expert. We don't need this stupid ME professor who know nothing about flight operation to point out "we got to avoid tai mo shan", "we have to consider bad weather and maintain air traffic safety" BS.
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #1436
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Shandong Airlines Opens Routes Between Shandong and Hong Kong
20 January 2006
China Industry Daily News

Shandong Airlines Co. Ltd opened three new air routes to Hong Kong on January 17th, including the Jinan-Hong Kong route, Yantai-Hong Kong route and Qingdao-Hong Kong Route, the Ta Kung Pao paper reported on Wednesday.

The Boeing 737-300 planes will be used on both the Jinan-Hong Kong route and Yantai-Hong Kong route. Planes will set off from Jinan airport and Yantai airport in the afternoon on each Tuesday and Friday, and arrive at Hong Kong on the same day. The planes then will fly back from Hong Kong after an hour layover, and arrive at Jinan and Yantai in the evening on the same day.

Boeing737-300 planes will be used on the Qingdao-Hong Kong route. A plane will leave Qingdao airport in the morning of each Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and arrive at Hong Kong on the same day.

Old January 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #1437
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By AN888 @ HKADB :

Old January 29th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #1438
warnings
BANNED

WOW
warnings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:33 AM   #1439
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By CXtristar @ HKADB :

Old January 31st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #1440
hkskyline
Hong Kong

French firm JCDecaux renews Hong Kong airport deal

PARIS, Jan 30 (Reuters) - JCDecaux , the world's second-biggest outdoor advertising company, said on Monday it had renewed and expanded a 10-year advertising contract for Hong Kong International airport.

JCDecaux said its new 10-year contract covered all internal and external advertising at the airport and included a further advertising opportunity with an expected expansion of the airport in July.

Tags
east asian hub airport, hong kong