daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #1
brandi
E = mc2

Likes (Received): 12

SAO PAULO | Public Transport

SÃO PAULO – Urban Rails

São Paulo's is among the younger metros in the world and it's considered one of the most modern although today's extension does not cover all areas of this populous city. The metro network (Lines 1-3, 49 km) is complemented by a 270 km suburban network operated by CPTM (Lines A-F). Two new subway lines must be concluded in 2006 and the total network will reach 340 km. The metro runs underground through the city centre but on elevated structures or at grade in outer areas. To reduce the cost of new construction the decision was taken to upgrade some suburban lines to metro standard to provide more frequent service. This was already finished along Line E > 6, which serves the eastern neighbourhoods of the city and operates like an express metro parallel to Line 3, and on Line C > 7, although both lines are still operated by CPTM.

Subway and Metropolitan train scheme

Metro – Ana Rosa Station – line 1 - blue

Metro – Brás station – line 3 – red – crossing with metropolitan another line of train

Metro – Brigadeiro station – line 2 - green

Metropolitan train – Brás station

Metropolitan train – Brás station

Trem Metropolitano – estação Dom Bosco
Metropolitan train – Dom Bosco station

Metro – line 5 – violet – Capão Redondo station

Metro – line 3 – green – Consolação Station

Metro – line 5 – violet – Largo Treze Station

Metropolitan Train arrived at Luz Station which is integrated with Metro lines

Metropolitan train – Luz Station

Metropolitan train – inner view of Luz Station

Metro – line 1 - blue – Liberdade Station – (oriental district)

Metro – line 1 - blue – Liberdade Station – (oriental district)

Metro – line 3 – red – Pedro II Station

Metro – line 3 – red – Train and downtown skyline

Metro – line 3 – green – Sumaré Station

inside_a_Line_6_train

line7-santo-amaro1

Line_5_train_interior

Line_6_and_D_trains_at_Luz

Line_6_train_arrives_at_Luz

Line_6_train_at_Bras

Metropolitan train – line 6

Line_7_train_at_Cidade_Universitária_Station

Line_7_train_at_Cid1_Univ_Station

Line_A_train_to_Luz

Vila_Olimpia_platform

Vila_Olimpia_platform

Luz_Line_1_Station

Paraiso_station_

Republica_Metro_Train

Republica_Metro

Metro – line 5 - violet - Capão Redondo – Largo Treze

Sumare_station

Metro – line 2 – green – Vila Madalena Station

Metro – line 2 – green – Trianon – Masp Station

Metro – Sé (grand central) Station

Highcliff, geometarkv liked this post
brandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #2
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 35

nice pics!!!!!

thank you very much to let me know how is the metro in Sao Paulo. I seems clean with a good service

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 72

Really great pics!!!!

So the line 4 is not open yet? Is there a date proposed for the opening? That means that there is still the Ponte Orca?

I love the Vila Olimpia, Barra Funda, Se - and especially the bridge-tunnel station of Sumare (nice few!) a lot.
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #4
elfreako

Likes (Received): 2

WTF? Looks like Tokyo!!!

Anyway, SP needs at LEAST another 10 subway lines like Mexico City. I was really surprised how pathetically small SP's subway network is.
elfreako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #5
elfreako

SAO PAULO

SYDNEY

What is going on here??!!!

Highcliff liked this post
elfreako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #6
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 3330

GREAT PICS

The stations seem furnished like Milan metro Line 2!
Same pavement, same panels, same types, even same colour (green for Line 2 in Milan)...
Don't you know if they commissioned the construction of the stations, or only their furnishment,at MM spa (Metropolitana Milanese), the ingeneering society of Milan metro?
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #7
Fabio
Go Habs! Go!

Likes (Received): 11

really great pics, it's a pity the metro is so small in Sao Paulo.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM   #8
mopc
USP

Likes (Received): 6777

Hi, I'm Mauricio Carvalho and I'm the author of the São Paulo pics above, which I donated to the Urbanrail.net site. I have many more pics, and a lot of information on São Paulo and its rail network. E-mail me or pm me if you want.

I would like the Australian guy to repost his Sydney station pic, because the link is broken. I've always known that São Paulo's Luz Station was exactly like Sydney's station, but I have never seen Sydney Station... so please!
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #9
FM7

Likes (Received):

Nice pics, lots of variety, people, city, crowds. Thanks for sharing them.
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #10
mopc
USP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuesel
Really great pics!!!!

So the line 4 is not open yet? Is there a date proposed for the opening? That means that there is still the Ponte Orca?

Yes, Ponte Orca is still there, even though it was almost abolished because of bureaucratic garbage.

Line 4 is in its inital phase of construction, schedule to open commercially by 2007 only five of the eleven stations will exist at this stage - Luz, Republica, Paulista (linked with Consolacao) Pinheiros and Butanta. These are vital because they are the ones that connect line 4 with the other lines - line four intersect all but line 5.

Line 2 (green, Paulista line) is being extended eastward to the Ipiranga region, three stations will open in 2006: Chácara Klabin, Imigrantes and Ipiranga. Then it will go on to Sacomã station, then the line intersects with CPTM line D at Tamaduateí station, where it proceeds to Vila Prudente station. These two last stations still have no schedule to open.

Line 5 will be extende to Santa Cruz and Chácara Klabin stations, gaining some 10 underground stations... its gonna be huge but I dont see it happening before 2012.
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #11
mopc
USP

Hm, now I see the Sydney station pic..... it doesnt look like Luz at all! And its uglier too... weird, I was told Luz and Sydney central were exact copies.

Edit: Some more pics of Sao Paulo metro

SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL

CITY'S POPULATION: 11 million (18 million metropolitan area)
METRO SYSTEM: 331 km (CPTM = 260 km + CMSP = 61 km)
DAILY RIDERSHIP: circa 5,200,000 passengers (as of late 2009)
NUMBER OF STATIONS: 151 (15 under construction, over 50 planned)
OFFICIAL WEBSITES: http://www.metro.sp.gov.br/ (Metro Company) http://www.cptm.sp.gov.br/ (CPTM)

Metro and CPTM logos

Consolação Station, 1991, line 2

New Line 2 train, made in Brazil

São Paulo is Brazil's largest city with some 11 million inhabitants. Its first metro line opened in 1974 (line 1) and then lines 3 (1978) and line 2 (1991), but by then Brazil's financial crises stopped metro construction and the city's complementary, much older suburban rail system (now under CPTM) was in a state of chaos and abandonment.

By the late 90's Brazil's situation improved and the first actions to be taken to solve São Paulo's mass transit problems were to upgrade the CPTM system, which by 1995 transported some 500,000 passangers a day, but now transports over 2,000,000.

New trains were bought, replacing the old ones, which were refurbished, increasing supply of trains:

New Alstom train for CPTM line 9 (made in Brazil), about 100 new trains are coming!

Now the city's, the state's and the nation's situation improved so many projects were revived and new projects were created.

Currently three lines are under construction/extension:

Line 4 is completely new and will open partially in 2010, with 6 stations and the remaining 5 stations by 2012.

Line 2 is being extended eastward and three new stations will open in 2010 (one maybe still this year)

Line 5 is being extended northward and 10 new stations will be added, greatly improving this now still isolated line.

As you can see from today's (2009) map:

Line five is only connected to line 9 and kind of form a "second metro system" almost separated from the rest (the gray lines in this map are metro too).

Line 4 will greatly improve this as it will connect line 9 to the central part of the system, drastically improving mobility in the city.

The expansion of line 2 to the east will also create a new connection at Tamanduateí, with CPTM line 10, also vastly enriching travel possibilities and undoing the system's current bottleneck at its central sections.

Planned extensions for 2017 (I would be happy enough if half of that is actually built by that year )

Click here for a full view of this map.

The system today transports over 5 million passengers a day (Metro Company: 3 million, CPTM: 2 million) but since many only consider the Metro Company as actual metro, São Paulo is usually ranked lower in international comparisons. The truth is both systems operate full metros, with headways below 10 minutes and fully segregated tracks, aside from complete tariff integration (no pay to go from one system to the other).

São Paulo's metro operates at a flat rate of around 1.30 USD per trip regardless of length, time of day, day of week or number of transfers. An electronic rechargeable metro card is the most used physical ticket in the system (called Bilhete Único). There is a small discount for frequency.

The current under-construction expansions are expected to increase ridership to almost 6 million by late 2010 and will add yet another 3 million by 2017, resulting in a daily week-day ridership of 9 million passengers a day, rivalling giants such as Tokyo and Moscow (and Beijing and Shanghai in the near future).

The expansions include three monorail lines, which if materialized would endow Sao Paulo with the world's largest monorail system.

One of Sao Paulo's planned monorail stations.

The end of tunneling work for line 4 in October 2009 - first stations scheduled to open by March 2010.

The new train (Rotem) for line 4. Driverless.

Line 4 will feature screen platform doors. It will be among the most modern metro lines in the world.

Here is the PDF with the september 2009 constriction update pictures for line 4 for the more engineering-inclined:http://www.metro.sp.gov.br/expansao/...etembro_09.pdf

Video on the extension of line 5, which started this year (sorry Portuguese only, institutional government video)

Render of a future line 5 station:

More pics to showcase the incredible diversity of a system built over the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries:

Caieiras Station, 1883 (built, obviously, as a regular station not metro, now serving CPTM line 7)

Luz Station, 1901 (lines 7, 8, 11, 10, 1 and 4) - will become the busiest in the system by 2011, of course there is a huge underground section, this is just the old British-built building from the Victorian age, now housing the Museum of the Portuguese Language.

Former Roosevelt station (1870, now part of Bras station)

Line 5 - Capao Redondo Station (2002)

Vila Mariana station (1974) entrance - typical line 1 station from the mid seventies, all stations to the south of it are almost identical, the first batch of São Paulo metro stations.

Liberdade Station (Asian Quarter) also from late 70's (line 1)

Liberdade Station (1975)

Santo Amaro Station (2002) - Line 5 - The station itself is a cable-stayed bridge over a river.

Another pic of the "bridge-station".

Train at Hebraica Rebouças Station, line 9 (CPTM, 2000). This line for the most part follows the Pinheiros river and is entirely at grade, totalling 34 km and 18 stations. Like all CPTM lines, it was formerly a regular railroad line for general purposes but has now been converted for metro-only uses. It transports only some 200,000 passengers a day because it still needs line 4 to connect it to the central part of the system. Ridership will rise to at least 600,000 a day by late 2010. New trains have been bought.

The cool and cozy interior of a typical new line 9 station, all built in 2000. Line 9 existed since the 70's as a partial metro line but few stations existed. The old stations are being modernized.

Vila Olimpia station, line 9 - exterior of a typical new line 9 station with bridge over Riverside Highway.

The "old" section of Santo Amaro station, serving line 9, which dates from 1982. It's a unique station, no other is even remotely similar to it. It was connected to the modern Santo Amaro station in 2002 when line 5 was built above it.

Line 10 Train near Bras station.

Line 10 Train at Dom Bosco station (2000) at the far east of the city.

Sé (central) Station - the busiest in the system, and it shows in this picture. Best avoided during rush hours.

Mogi Das Cruzes station, at the city of the same name just east of Sao Paulo with a crummy surviving VW Fusca (Beetle). The CPTM system, unlike the "Metro" system, reaches many neighboring cities.

Line 1 (northern extension)

Luz station CPTM (1901)

Julio Prestes Station, 1936 (line 8) - originally a long distance railroad station, now underused, main building houses the São Paulo Music Hall and Philharmonic Orchestra.

Tatuapé Station (1987), lines 3, 11 and 10, eastern part of town.

Alto do Ipiranga station (2006), foreshadowing the architecture of most of the city's future underground stations.

Brás Station (east of city center, lines 3, 10, 7, 11, 12), one of the largest physically, this picture only shows part of its CPTM section, to the left there is a huge elevated annex Metro station and two old-days railroad buildings to the right. The hole station is an amalgamation of several stations from different years.

View from the elevated part of Brás station

CPTM train (line 9) - new "red" livery (Alstom made in Brazil)

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by mopc; February 1st, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 72

Thanks for the metro info! At least it goes fast - here it would take another 10 years only to go through the planning and burocratic phase... The want to make an additional tram line here for years - maybe it will open in 2010 (planning started in the end 90s...) When I think that I was first in Osasco in early 2002 and then again one year later - boom! There was the Rodoanel!!! Increadable. I also wonder how far they are with the Tiete restauration...
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Klas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

@all

wow nice thread , more pictures pls
Klas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #14
samba_man
Vote 13 cuz it´s tasty

Likes (Received): 8541

Great pics.....São Paulo metro are really awesome!!

Highcliff liked this post
samba_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #15
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 978

that is thrugh. i like it very much!!! more pics please...

₪₪₪
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
₪₪₪
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪

₪₪₪
₪₪₪
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #16
DaDvD

Nice trains and transport system, although it needs heavy expansion!
DaDvD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #17
Rene Nunez
InsaneNuYawka

Likes (Received): 1

Very modern/minimalist subway. I love it! I was wondering whether it is ever overused/ as in always crowded? Does it have a huge ridership?
Rene Nunez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM   #18
deli

Likes (Received): 0

very very nice pic for a wonderful metro system. thanx for sharing!!!
deli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:00 PM   #19
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 10

Does it not have air con on some of the trains?
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #20
mopc
USP

Yes, line 5 has air conditioning, as well as lines 7 and 6.

You people want more pictures??? Well, it took me two whole days to take the above pitcures, I do have more in my hard disk, I might post them soon, those the above are the best.

I might go to São Paulo some other day to take pictures of remote, very little known lines. Line A, in the north of the city is especially interesting with old British-style station like Luz, only small, and even older, from circa 1885 (Luz is from 1901).

Next march line green 2 will gain two new stations and a third one in September, so be prepared, besides line F will be revamped and also gain 3 new stations within a year from now or so. Line D´s extreme south is also interesting, with old stations. Brace yourselves for a whole new batch of São Paulo metro pics by MOPC!!!!

Tags
são paulo