search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #1
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 24516

BRATISLAVA | Public Transport

From Global Rail News

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...as-old-bridge/

Funds released for reconstruction of Bratislava’s ‘Old Bridge’
10 FEB, 2014

Starý most bridge being dismantled. Photo: shutterstock.com

Slovakia’s Transport Minister, John Počiatek, has released the funding needed to continue rebuilding a 19th century railway bridge in Bratislava.

Počiatek has confirmed that an EU grant worth €68.9 million will be used to rebuild the Starý most bridge over the river Danube, creating a new tram connection between the river’s east and west banks.

Work began towards the end of 2013 to dismantle the original bridge.

The project, which is expected to last two years, is part of a wider plan to construct a new tram system between the city’s Bosáková and Janíkov dvor districts.

The EU has earmarked more than €3.5 billion as part of an Operational Programme Transport (OPT) designed to improve public transport links in Slovakia.

As well as the reconstruction of Starý most, funding has been pledged to procuring 30 new trams and upgrading tram tracks in Dubravka and Central Station.

geometarkv, VladP liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; December 31st, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #2
dimlys1994

Bratislava tram map from urbanrail:

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #3
dimlys1994

Some tram photos from Wiki:

geometarkv, Rail_Serbia, loloo liked this post
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4
dimlys1994

Stary most before clouse:

geometarkv, Rail_Serbia, loloo liked this post
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 4962

Is that bridge being reconstructed as tram bridge in its historical look or is it being replaced with a modern tram bridge?

Is the southwards extensions of the tram network into Petrsalka coming for sure until 2015? Is it funed?

What is going on with the Hlavna Stanica? Is there everything on hold? And is the tram access being kept on hold as long as nothing is being developed there as well?
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 4275

Wow, thanks for thread...

@Slartibartfas

- It will be a newly constructed bridge in quasi-historical look. It will be used only by trams, pedestrians and cyclists.

- First part of tramway network extension should be finished by 2015, otherwise we will have to pay whole budget for the construction, as it is funded by EU funds.

- Mainy railway station is still on hold. As far as I can say, the city council is trying to wait until the next year,as the unreliable developer of the project promised to finish everything until the end of the year 2016. If the developer won't be able to finish it on time, Bratislava would be able to look for the new developer. Mayor of the city promised the reconstruction of tram track going to the station and it should be finished by the end of this year.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

dimlys1994, Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Slartibartfas

Tbh I prefer to arrive via Petrzalka, as long as they are not doing something about the main station. And now that not even the tram is going there I think its also more comfortable to take the bus from Petrzalka. Its good when authorities have the intention to get things going again, if not with this developer than with another, hopefully more reliable one.

The tram extension is indeed very basic but I guess the make or break argument is the bridge. Once there exists a tram line to the northern edge of the district, extending southwards does not only make a lot of sense but is also not as prohibitively expensive. I just hope the bridge isn't constructed in Skopje kitsch style. Are there visualizations of it?
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #8
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 608

some tram pics here from a few years back:
http://smu.gs/1aSqtZ0
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The tram extension is indeed very basic but I guess the make or break argument is the bridge. Once there exists a tram line to the northern edge of the district, extending southwards does not only make a lot of sense but is also not as prohibitively expensive. I just hope the bridge isn't constructed in Skopje kitsch style. Are there visualizations of it?
Right after finishing of this phase of tram extension, the new phase with further extension southwards to Petržalka should continue. Right now there's an architectural competition for the whole area around the tram line.

The new bridge should look like this:

People can vote for the colour of the bridge, it seems that it will be a combination of bridge-green and grey.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

Last edited by Amrafel; February 12th, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Slartibartfas

I don't like those white dots/nobs but the bridge looks fine as a whole. I like it that it keeps the basic look of the old one afterall. I am also almost envious about the "bridge-scape" of Bratislava, it has got quite some character, unlike Vienna's Danube bridges.

If the the 1st phase is directly followed by the extension southwards everything is fine. Its just that I think this tram line is so overdue. Petrzalka is such a major population centre and it is such a dense one, almost a perfect target for high performance public transportation.

And this street across that old bidge, is it got away with without direct replacement? I guess you don't need it anymore, now with the Most Apollo. But it is great to see how the government is giving priority to PT, pedestrians and cyclists nonetheless.
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #11
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

The activists and traffic experts are trying to persuade the city officials that the street leading to the bridge is unnecessary for traffic and it should be changed onto a pedestrian promenade, but it seems that car traffic will be preserved.

However, except the extension of the tram infrastructure, Bratislava will also get a new trams by Škoda. This is the look of the two-way tram Škoda 30T, which is designed exclusively for Bratislava:

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrafel View Post
The activists and traffic experts are trying to persuade the city officials that the street leading to the bridge is unnecessary for traffic and it should be changed onto a pedestrian promenade, but it seems that car traffic will be preserved.
And why? This doesn't make any sense. What would be the point of having a road to nowhere? If that useless dead end were canceled one could simplify the crossing and seriously improve its pedestrian attractiveness und urban design. Given that this is the link between Eurovea and the old town this would be of great importance.

Klausenburg liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #13
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

I totally agree, however the politicians are very car-centric. As I wrote before, there is a pressure by traffic experts and local NGOs to change the project, so there is still hope that something will change.

Anyway, here is a design for the one-way Škoda 30T trams, which is really similar to the two-way trams, however, there are slight differences. 15 trams should be delivered soon, the first of them should arrive by the end of the year.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Slartibartfas

Quote:
I totally agree, however the politicians are very car-centric.
Being car-centric isn't enough to oppose this rebuilding of the then defunct dead end road. Simplifying the crossing by getting rid of this additional dead end also means that car traffic benefits from it because a street that does not exist and which no one needs anyway doesn't need green light time.

Quote:
Anyway, here is a design for the one-way Škoda 30T trams, which is really similar to the two-way trams, however, there are slight differences. 15 trams should be delivered soon, the first of them should arrive by the end of the year.

Tbh, I am not a real fan of the current tram vehicles. But those new ones look nice from the outside.
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Filip7370
Modern transit...

Likes (Received): 5

Now I see tendency to getting back to two-way trams. Like in Warsaw, we order now 55 of Jazz Duo trams. I think this is the future, gives trams that flexibility needed.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:21 AM   #16
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 304

There is no additional flexibility in bidirectional trams. They're useful for planned track reconstruction but well-run looped systems operate perfectly fine with one way trams. Two way trams offer much less seating, therefore are less attractive to passengers, are more prone to failure because of many more duplicated components to fail. Therefore their WOL costs are higher (purchase cost plus operation costs). Overall, two way cars are not a sensible investment. The reason you see them on so many new systems is that the designers don't have the tram knowledge and experience or, infrequently, there is genuinely not space for loops.

Bratislava must have a specific reason for half the order being two-way - e.g. Availability for track reconstruction or inability to put loops on a line (e.g. Ground space or staged extensions). But the other half of the order is one-way. Not exactly an overwhelming trend. And it's not a case of "going back to". The majority of the world's trams are unidirectional and have been so since very early days.

Klausenburg liked this post
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Being car-centric isn't enough to oppose this rebuilding of the then defunct dead end road. Simplifying the crossing by getting rid of this additional dead end also means that car traffic benefits from it because a street that does not exist and which no one needs anyway doesn't need green light time.
Actually, it won't be really a dead end road, it will lead from Spital street to the riverfront boulevard, altough there is not real need for such connection.

However, works on the building of the new tram-track continue with demolishing of the old bridge.

Source: webnoviny.sk

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

geometarkv liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:46 PM   #18
green rain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I totally agree, however the politicians are very car-centric. As I wrote before, there is a pressure by traffic experts and local NGOs to change the project, so there is still hope that something will change.

Looks nice and modern but tbh, I prefer the one you posted on the 15th.
green rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM   #19
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by green rain View Post
Looks nice and modern but tbh, I prefer the one you posted on the 15th.
They're completely identical. The image from the 15th is more recent artwork based on final design. The bidirectional simply has an additional driver's cab at the other end and doors on both sides (= less seats!).

Perhaps somebody from Slovakia can tell us why some are two-way?
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

There will be no loop built during the first stage of the tram-track construction to Petržalka.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.