daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM   #1
jmartcue

Likes (Received): 3

Rome Metro

SOON AVAILABLE:

For further info visit www.cityrailtransit.com/books.html
jmartcue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Humberto123
Humberto123

Location: Caracas / Boston / Santiago de Chile / Sao Paulo / Lima
Likes (Received): 7

I hope there are serious plans to upgrade it in central Rome. The Rome subway is the ugliest, dirtiest subway system in Europe that I personally have known.

Unlike Rome itself which is gorgeous!
Humberto123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 292

I hope to go this summer!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #4
kostya
Ich heb' ab

Likes (Received): 1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto123
I hope there are serious plans to upgrade it in central Rome. The Rome subway is the ugliest, dirtiest subway system in Europe that I personally have known.

Unlike Rome itself which is gorgeous!
The subway itself is indeed not the cleanest i've seen and certainly not enough for a city like Rome. I hope they'll get it expanded soon.
kostya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Marco_
XXX

Likes (Received): 2

Rome subway is more older and dirtier then Rome him(her?)self :P
Marco_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #6
jmartcue

Likes (Received): 3

jmartcue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Alargule
zeeeendeeigeel

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_
Rome subway is more older and dirtier then Rome him(her?)self :P
Either leave 'more' or change 'older and dirtier' into 'old and dirty'. And 'Rome' is neutral, of course, so it should be 'itself'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 265

With all due respect, but Rome's underground is probably the dirtiest, ugliest, darkest (bad lighting) and warmest(bad air conditioning, the air is just stifling down there) I've ever visited in Europe. Plus that it's a bit sad that a city which is so beautiful like Rome (over 3 million inhabitants) has such a small network. According to Urbanrail.net it is 41,2 km long. I must say though that there are some few exceptions like i.e the stations "Ottaviano" and "Cipro" which are sheer beauties...
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Alargule
zeeeendeeigeel

I don't know when you visited Rome (or what parts of the metro you used), but I've seen worse systems. Trains on line A are being replaced by modern, AC'd ones. The stations aren't prime examples of beautiful station architecture, but they don't look dirty or ugly either.
And then, there are plans to expand the network with two more lines. Don't forget that the main reason for the present size of the network is the fact that it's being built underneath the city with the largest collection of ancient treasures you'll find anywhere on Earth. Excavations of stations and tunnels requires a lot of planning and time because of all the archaeological findings - which can stall metro construction for years in some cases.

(BTW: could you size down the text in your 'Location'?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
I don't know when you visited Rome (or what parts of the metro you used), but I've seen worse systems. Trains on line A are being replaced by modern, AC'd ones. The stations aren't prime examples of beautiful station architecture, but they don't look dirty or ugly either.
And then, there are plans to expand the network with two more lines. Don't forget that the main reason for the present size of the network is the fact that it's being built underneath the city with the largest collection of ancient treasures you'll find anywhere on Earth. Excavations of stations and tunnels requires a lot of planning and time because of all the archaeological findings - which can stall metro construction for years in some cases.

(BTW: could you size down the text in your 'Location'?)
I returned home just a few days ago...

And I used all the Metro (both lines) + the commuter train services.

They don't look ugly or dirty? The floors of the majority of the stations are disgusting and sometimes you'd find piles of garbage + that many of the stations have also 'some' graffitti. Worst is the horrible air conditioning (tiring in the summer) and the lighting which is also bad, you get the impression that you're in a somber room or some church.
I had to wash my clothes and polish my shoes every day when I returned to my room because they were so extremely dirty. Not only is the city quite dirty, not well-mantained and that it's common to see house facades (especially sad to see ancient buldings in that shape) covered with graffitti but also the Metro stations, not the trains' interiors but I saw plenty of wagons (specially the old ones) entirely covered with graffiti on their outside. And it's not the first time I travel to Rome which apart from big part of its Metro is definitely one of the most enchanting cities in the world. I absolutely adore the stretch Ottaviano-Battistini, there are some very beautiful and modern stations on that stretch. Another very good thing about the Metro is the constant presence of the Bill, which is quite reassuring.

PS. No I can't downsize my text in location, sorry.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #11
micro

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista
PS. No I can't downsize my text in location, sorry.
But you could insert a space after each slash (or some of the slashes) to allow the automatic word wrapping.

micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #12
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I thought New York had one of the worst systems.

Then I went to Rome. Makes me feel like I live in Tokyo.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Alargule
zeeeendeeigeel

Well, I won't be heard stating that Rome's system is in a good shape. And you're right about the graffiti and the not-so-well-looking stations. But then: it's Rome after all. Italy's largest city, a bustling metropolis that's not so cleaned-up and neatly organised as other significant western European capitals might be (you should come and visit Amsterdam. Although the metro system still looks better than Rome's, it's not a long way until it's in the same sorry shape). Seems to be one of the 'qualities' of the city ever since it was founded...
Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what lines C and D will look like in the future.

Old August 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #14
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 194

any pics of trains/stations of this so called "worst metro of Europe"? tks

anyway the worst metro i´ve benn it´s definitely NY, but i guess that´s a minor issue if u are considering the total lenght of the entire system.it´s hard to keep it good and shine
i would prefere to have NY subwway in my city, old and dirty, instead of an Athens Metro, clean, beautiful, has art but only a few dozens or so of stations

Last edited by TeKnO_Lx; August 12th, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
TeKnO_Lx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #15
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Here are some photos from Urbanrail.net:

In my opinion, a city with the touristic attractions Rome has should have a better system than this one...:S It looks like they don't have cleaning teams on their maintenace works
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #16
CAESARS-PALACe

Yes the roman metro can be dirty,hot,old and overcrowded.
Mainly because the current metrosystem (36.5 km) is too small for a city like Rome. It was never designed for the number of passengers it is transporting at the moment (750 000 !). If you take this in consideration it is pretty impressive that the system is still able to get the job done and transport both romans and tourists in a reasonably efficient way (one train every 4 minutes during peak hour).

On top of that it took decades to complete the current lines.Contruction on Line B started before the war and was only completed in 1990.

Line A was contructed at the same slow speed for many reasons. The old construction method "surface tunneling" caused many problems,and disturbances. The stability of houses and buildings was threatened (cracks..), many law suits followed. There was also the presence of archeological remains that stopped the construction constantly. Not to mention the financial problems and economic crisis that prevented the completion of the lines.

The result is a subway that lacks architectural quality in many places :dark,no airconditioning,no protection against graffiti,when it rained for example water infiltrated in the Line A stations... . All these problems have often been tackled by improvisation. The main quality of the roman subway is that despite all these challenges : it works ! and transports thousands every day.

Last edited by CAESARS-PALACe; August 12th, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
CAESARS-PALACe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #17
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

It's really good if the system works, but a city like Rome (with all its history, culture, and so many things) deserves a bigger and cleaner system as it is a big touristic destination and metropolis.And obviously a system that works
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #18
CAESARS-PALACe

And it will get that system. Rome will finally get more than 100 km of new subway (Metro B1, C, D...). It will take more than a decade to complete all the projects.But construction will be easier thanks to modern TBM technology. Deep level tunneling (35-50 meters) will avoid all the archeological remains. Rome eventually will have a state-of-the-art system worthy of a modern capital. The new metro will be automatic with platform doors. Station-design will be quality architecture : bright, spacious, airconditioned and safe.

some movies of Roma Metropolitane : http://www.romametropolitane.it/

construction of Metro B1 explained :

http://www.romametropolitane.it/vide...B1/b1-adsl.wmv

Metro C Colosseo-station :

http://www.romametropolitane.it/vide...SEO%20ADSL.wmv
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #19
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 2086

Roma new trains are very nice!

Made by CAF, Spanish manufacturer, near Barcelona.

Also we have very very similar new trains by CAF in Barcelona metro, 5000 series:

[IMG]http://i7.************/24eot48.jpg[/IMG]

Εγώ είμαι ο Νταβόρ!!
David (DavoR for my friends)
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #20
CAESARS-PALACe

more pic's of the new trains. By the end of the year there will be 37 of these trains. And by the end of 2007 all the trains on Line A will be new : a total of 45 trains (+40 % capacity) :

Tags
railways, roma, rome, subway