daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #1
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 57

Edmonton LRTs, Trolleys, Buses

ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #2
ode of bund

Old July 15th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3
ode of bund

Spetacularly beatiful, Edmonton trolley-bus

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #4
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 41

Nice, LARGE photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or see
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Camera: Sony NEX-C3
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #5
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 4304

Okay then...that are some ehmm nice pics... a little onthe large side for a forum but still nice

I'l not get too much into the looks of them as I'm not a big fan of automobile design from the 70's and will never be able to understand why these are still in use

-

-
-
-
-
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #6
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

So I assume the red ones are just being used for show? They don't still run them do they?

Last edited by DrJoe; July 16th, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

wow, remind me of childhood memories..
For some reason, these kinds of buses are deemed dangerous and inefficient in China. As a result, it has almost disappeared from Chinese cities. I love riding in these though.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Denmark
Okay then...that are some ehmm nice pics... a little onthe large side for a forum but still nice

I'l not get too much into the looks of them as I'm not a big fan of automobile design from the 70's and will never be able to understand why these are still in use
They are reliable and lots of people like them

or see

Camera: Sony NEX-C3
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 292

Wow, that's huge photos. How many of the routes use these trolley-buses? It's more environmentally friendly at least, though they're not very attractive.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #10
sweek

Likes (Received): 0

I hope you were being sarcastic in the title there...?
Wires everywhere and quite ugly buses.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #11
degnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek
Although I personally dont like the busses (im a fan of newer ones), there are certainly many people out there (gaoanyu, Jayayess1190) who do. Also, the wires aren't really obtrusive, like they are in some places (I remember a pic of someplace in Aus...)
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #12
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by degnaw
Although I personally dont like the busses (im a fan of newer ones), there are certainly many people out there (gaoanyu, Jayayess1190) who do. Also, the wires aren't really obtrusive, like they are in some places (I remember a pic of someplace in Aus...)
I think they're less obstrusive in more dense cities... I really notice it here because of the beautiful green environment in Edmonton.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #13
ode of bund

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek
Get out of my thread !!!
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #14
zonie

Wonderful, wonderful!

although I remember somebody explained this here a long time ago, when the wires fork, how can the bus control if it goes on the left or right set of wires? also, when two sets of wires converge to one, how does that work?
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 30

Those buses are butt BUTT BUTT ugly.Is the title of this thread a joke?

Oh my god.The worse buses ive seen in a while.(Sorry if my remarks are direct)
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #16
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

are these busses still in use?

they look damn old. Why are they still in operation?
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:23 AM   #17
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 629

Edmonton LRT

Edmonton Transportation Infrastructure Construction

Edmonton LRT Construction

Kudos to feepa from SSP for providing the data to make this post.

South LRT (SLRT)
The extension will occur over three phases.
Phase 1: Health Science Station Opened January 2006
Phase 2: Health Sciences Station to South Campus Station opens by the end of 2008
Phase 3: South Campus Station to Century Park opens by the end of 2009

Health Science Station - Opened Jan 2006

Belgravia/Mckernan (76 Ave) Station - Late 2008?

Neil Crawford Station (UofA South Campus) - Late 2008

Southgate Station - Late 2009

Whitemud LRT Bridge

Century Park Station - Late 2009

West LRT (WLRT)

3 Different possible routes exist
1. Lewis Estate to Health Sciences
2. Lewis Estate to South Campus
3. Lewis Estate to Downtown

North LRT (NLRT)

Last edited by Xelebes; July 17th, 2007 at 02:43 AM.
Xelebes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:26 AM   #18
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

LRT on track to expansion, official says growing ridership makes case for wider coverage

Gordon Kent, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Monday, May 28, 2007

EDMONTON - A study showing more people are leaving their cars behind and taking public transit downtown should spur plans to extend the LRT system, transportation planning manager Brice Stephenson says.

Over the last three years, the number of commuters going to Edmonton's core by private vehicle dropped six per cent while transit ridership jumped 12.1 per cent, according to the Central Business District Cordon Report released earlier this month.

Driving is still the most popular way of getting in and out of the city centre, but for a gradually declining proportion of local travellers -- 73 per cent this year compared to 75 per cent in 2000.

"A lot of this is telling me that the actions that have been taken through the downtown plan and investments in transit are starting to pay off," Stephenson said.

"It's telling me people are reacting in the way we would hope in terms of using more transit. That's good, because we want to encourage more transit and pedestrians and cyclists."

The study measured the number of vehicles and passengers entering or leaving the area from 96th Avenue to 105th Avenue, and 97th Street to 109th Street, although anyone walking or riding a bicycle wasn't included.

Transit staff have been gearing up for detailed planning of a proposed LRT route to NAIT that's been on the back burner since it was accepted in principle by city councillors more than two years ago.

The central business district report should support that work by showing the system is being well-used, Stephenson said.

"(With) this information, in combination with the household travel survey and our surveys of park-and-ride, there's some pretty good ammunition here for extending the LRT."

Public transit accounts for about nine per cent of all trips taken in Edmonton, about the same figure as a decade ago.

But one reason it's becoming a more popular way to get downtown is the rising cost of parking, caused partly by the loss of surface lots to housing and other developments, Stephenson said.

More northeast commuters are also being counted as they take the LRT through the city centre to the south side, he said.

As well, people are being attracted to events in Edmonton's increasingly vibrant core, he said.

Coun. Michael Phair said the study should give support to a new northern LRT line as well as a bus rapid transit (BRT) connection between downtown and Mill Woods.

"I'm particularly pleased to see transit ridership to downtown going up, and as we continue to extend the LRT and BRT, we will see continuing larger numbers of people going downtown by transit."

Two new programs could increase that ridership even more. In one promotion aimed at downtown companies, Edmonton Transit is offering a 12-per-cent employee discount on monthly bus passes to firms that will match or exceed this subsidy.

About 370 workers at five organizations have signed up since the scheme started in March, said Patricia Waisman, Edmonton Transit's director of business development.

In September, the U-Pass starts for Grant MacEwan college and University of Alberta students, giving them monthly transit passes for a mandatory fee of $75 to $90 per four-month term. If the program succeeds at these two schools, with total enrolment of roughly 40,000 full-time students, it could be expanded.

City council recently approved a policy that will hike the price of monthly adult transit passes 50 per cent over the next five years, to $89 from $59, as well as boosting other fares.

But the strong economy and the rising cost of using a car mean the system should still see ridership go up about three per cent a year, Waisman said.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

People in automobiles

- Daily downtown entries and exits

2000: 290,025

2004: 301,217

2007: 306,285

- Increase from 2000 to 2007: 16,260 people (5.6 per cent)

- Increase from 2004 to 2007: 5,068 (1.7 per cent)

- Proportion of people travelling downtown by car:

2000: 75.4 per cent

2007: 73.2 per cent

People on public transit

- Daily downtown entries and exits

2000: 94,731

2004: 104,442

2007: 112,350

- Increase between 2000 to 2007: 17,619 people (18.6 per cent)

- Increase between 2004 to 2007: 7,908 people (7.6 per cent)

- Proportion of people taking public transit downtown:

2000: 24.6 per cent

2007: 26.8 per cent

- Average occupancy of a bus:

2000: 23.1 people

2007: 24.6

AVERAGE RIDERS PER LRT TRAIN

2000: 84.2 people

2007: 109.7

The increase is particularly dramatic during the morning rush hour, when the number of people on the average bus has dropped slightly in the last seven years while the number of passengers on the average LRT train jumped 43 per cent.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM   #19
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Construction status:

The Belgravia Road underpass's concrete setting is almost done. Should be a month or two for it to wrap up.

Construction leading towards Whitemud Freeway starts next week.

Tenders for grade separation and Whitemud Bridge closing shortly.

Relocation of a temp transit station to north of Southgate going peachy keen.

61st to 51st Ave length is going to start seeing some constructive construction soon.

Some of us are wishing for a massive TOD at Southgate, but we've already got Century Park/Heritage TOD to construct yet.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Edmonton's LRT system, along with Calgary, Canada, Los Angeles, USA, St. Louis USA and Monterrey, Mexico - are the only LRT systems in North America that have entirely high-platform boarding.

Tags
alberta, canada, edmonton