daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
subway_system
subway fanatic

Likes (Received): 6

BOGOTÁ | Subway

i found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34qzhXU-y8

The Metro de Bogotá is a rapid transit proposed for the capital city of Colombia. The construction of the Metro de Bogotá has been the object of debates and studies since the 1950s when the collapse of the Bogotá Tramways made evident the need of a modern form of mass transport for the fast growing metropolis. It has been suggested that the system rail paths of the defunct Bogotá’s Savannah Railway be utilized for the new city train system.

In year 2007, Samuel Moreno won the elections for Mayor of Bogotá under the promise of building an underground rapid transit system to increase the passengers’ capacity of the city, reduce the commute time and increase the comfort of the trip by reducing the number of people per wagon. At that time Moreno suggested that the train’s first line be drawn from the locality of Kennedy along the Avenida del Ferrocarril up to the Estacion de la Sabana on Calle 13 or Avenida Jimenez and from there northwards along the Avenida Septima up to Calle 72, then along Calle 72 to end up in Engativá (picture). [1] However, the final design will be decided by the winner of a public tender for the feasibility studies of the project.

On August 2009, the feasibility studies, which includes economical resources, best line route, urbanistic and environmental influence. This has been started by Sener-TMB which the result has to be on July 20, but it has been delayed to August 31.

Highcliff, geometarkv liked this post
subway_system no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #2
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

unfortunately that will never happen.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
subway_system
subway fanatic

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
unfortunately that will never happen.
why? can you write sth. more about ?
subway_system no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

It would be nice if Bogota did get a subway, Caracas has had a metro for decades.

However, I was under the impression that the Bus Rapid Transit was supposed to solve Bogota's transit challenges?
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5
gramercy
hvorfor ikke

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
It would be nice if Bogota did get a subway, Caracas has had a metro for decades.

However, I was under the impression that the Bus Rapid Transit was supposed to solve Bogota's transit challenges?
compared to not having anything i guess it did

but we are talking about a city the size of Paris! and not even a single km of rail-based transit

i think the transmilenio is crap, at the very least they should have started with tramways (which can also accomodate buses if you use a flat concrete bed) and something like the 50+ metre combino trams
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 381

Bogota needs a Metro.
Harryx5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #7
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryx5 View Post
Bogota needs a Metro.
Agree. But wasn't your ex mayor Pastrana a big BRT fan?

I've had the pleasure of meeting him at some of the "smart city" type conferences up here in the the US!
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
compared to not having anything i guess it did

but we are talking about a city the size of Paris! and not even a single km of rail-based transit

i think the transmilenio is crap, at the very least they should have started with tramways (which can also accomodate buses if you use a flat concrete bed) and something like the 50+ metre combino trams
Trams in such big city is a waste of money. BRT is cheaper and faster to build.
if Bogota wouldnt have built the Transmillenio, which carries today many ppl and is successful, it would be a totally jamed city with let's say 1 or maybe 2 metro lines. They made the best move to improve public transport at that time, now, in time when ppl have some good transportation mean (BRT) they can build real metro on routes with most trafic.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪Korea/Japonia₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #9
JustinB

Likes (Received): 15

Here we go again!
(I'm cheering for the trams in big cities.)
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Eurotram
Eurotram

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Trams in such big city is a waste of money. BRT is cheaper and faster to build.
if Bogota wouldnt have built the Transmillenio, which carries today many ppl and is successful, it would be a totally jamed city with let's say 1 or maybe 2 metro lines. They made the best move to improve public transport at that time, now, in time when ppl have some good transportation mean (BRT) they can build real metro on routes with most trafic.
And the same song again I could rather say,that making a decision to NOT BUILD a subway system in OVER 7 MILLION PEOPLE CITY (!) can be named only one way: IT'S A REALLY HUUUUUUGE TRASH! Subway in such a big city is just NECESSARY and there is no excuse:they MUST build it.

And (as I've told you for sooooo many times) trams in a very big city are not waste of money,but they COMPLEMENT (now I'm sure this word is too difficult for you ) busses and subway,like in Paris:

in Berlin:
image hosted on flickr

in Madrid:

in Melbourne:

In Melbourne there's even no subway,but strongly developed suburban train network,but... in this case it's almost the same

Highcliff liked this post
Eurotram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Tiago Costa
Servir sempre!

Bogotá didn't have enought money to build a metro formerly, but the mayor decided to build a integrated network with both the feeder and the backbone network using buses (with BRT). This was not a bad idea. Now, with enought money, the busiest sections of the backbone system will be upgraded to have more capacity. This is a real integrated and organized network. Usually, when the metro lines comes first, the integrated network never comes, or it takes a very long time to be implemented and organized. Santiago is one of this cases, but did the homework with TranSantiago. São Paulo is still doing wrong, without completing the Sistema Interligado.
Tiago Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Ele
All-in

Likes (Received): 0

Transmilenio is a great system. But indeed Bogota is VERY populated! I don´t know the exact numbers, but I think maybe what would serve Bogota best is an urban rail system, akin to Madrid´s Cercanias or Paris RER, to cover long distances.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #13
tequilasunrise

Likes (Received): 0

Bogota needs a subway!!!

As some have pointed out, a city of this size NEEDS a subway (thanks Eurotram!).

If you haven't been here and navigated the maze of private bus companies, with their inane routes and choking diesel smog (not to mention just sitting in traffic in a regular car), please come visit.

And when I say visit, you need to stay in residential areas away from the city center and experience what the citizens of this city must deal with on a daily basis.

In speaking with locals, the reason I hear for why a subway doesn't exist are money and "difficulty" (ie. locals are used to buses and being able to jump on/off wherever they want (which makes a nightmarish traffic situation that much worse, I might add)).

Money is a poor excuse...a subway is an investment in the future viability of a city and shouldn't be viewed as a moneymaking enterprise. And real leaders should lead the people into understanding the immense benefits of a subway system.

But I also hear a lot about corruption, which I think is probably reason #1 for no subway. Case in point...Colombia used to have a decent city-to-city rail network until government leaders decided to shut it down because it was interfering with their own private transportation business ventures.
tequilasunrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #14
jotrespo

Likes (Received): 2

Bogota needs subway
jotrespo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #15
vudu_ekb

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
Money is a poor excuse...
Maybe it is, but if there's no or little money, it takes forever to build even a single subway line. While not having money to invest in surface transportation. Thus building a BRT system first was a smart move.
vudu_ekb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #16
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

It's not like Bogota does not have a mass transit network.

I personally have ridden the Transmillenio system and for all intents and purposes it does function as a metro albeit with busses instead of trains. Besides given the cost constraints I am sure it was more cost effective for the government to construct BRT first since it is cheaper per mile and can serve more areas and then later save money for constructing a metro network to complement the system.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #17
vudu_ekb

Likes (Received): 514

Just to give some idea about Bogota's Transmilenio BRT system:

http://www.streetfilms.org/bus-rapid-transit-bogota/

And its initial prototype in Curitiba, Brazil:

http://www.streetfilms.org/curitibas-brt/
vudu_ekb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 101

If there were a metro system to be constructed in Bogota, it would complement the already-extensive TransMilenio BRT System.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #19
Dale

Likes (Received): 801

Whatever happened to plans for a metro ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Dale

Likes (Received): 801

Hello ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bogota, metro, metro de bogota