daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1664

SALT LAKE CITY | Public Transport

I didn't see any thread for this so i started one ....

System : UTA
Daily Ridership : 90-120,000
Number of lines : Light Rail > 3 , Commuter Rail 2 , 1 Bus Rapid Transit , 100+ Bus lines

Front Lines 2015 :
4 Light Rail lines UC , & 2 Commuter line extensions
1 Streetcar line

Current and Future System

Front Runner Commuter line

UTA TRAX

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 46

Again, last time, make sure the city name is capitalized. Next time it happens, I'm going to close the thread entirely and have you repost.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #3
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 16

Image by UTA
http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=Projects-Frontlines2015

The West Valley (light rail) line and the Mid-Jordan TRAX line are finished and being tested and calibrated for usage. They will open for passengers on August 7th.

Extensive work is taking place on the Airport TRAX line as well as the FrontRunner (commuter rail) 45 mile south extension from Salt Lake City Central Station to Provo, Utah.

Work on the Draper TRAX line has just began with crews clearing out the right of way. The deadline for the FrontLines Project is the year 2015. Right it is ahead of schedule and under budget.

By 2015 Utah will have an 89 mile long Commuter Rail (FrontRunner) from Ogden to Salt Lake City to Provo.

By 2015 Salt Lake County will have gone from 19.6 miles of light rail (TRAX) to 44.9 miles of light rail.
s.p.hansen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #4
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

image hosted on flickr

slcmorning1a by sphansen47, on Flickr

Salt Lake City Metro Transit Numbers Quarter 3, 2010:

Data here:
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Bus:

Commuter Rail:
FrontRunner: 5,400

Light Rail:
City - Weekday ridership

1. Boston - 215,400
2. Los Angeles – 156,600
3. San Francisco - 153,900
4. Portland - 127,900
5. Philadelphia – 94,400
6. San Diego - 92,100
7. Dallas - 57,400
8. St. Louis - 55,800
9. Salt Lake City - 46,900
10. Sacramento - 44,400

11. Denver - 42,600
12. Phoenix - 37,400
13. Houston - 35,000
14. Minneapolis - 35,000
15. Baltimore - 34,300
16. San Jose - 32,800
17. Seattle - 26,600
18. Pittsburgh - 24,800
19. Charlotte - 20,200
20. Buffalo - 18,800

Last edited by s.p.hansen; February 18th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #5
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

The Old Viaduct

Image by KSL

image hosted on flickr

Image by T-Mac

Image by KSL

image hosted on flickr

Image by libel_vox

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAX Airport Line Construction / North Temple Street Viaduct Rebuild Update

Image by KSL

January Viaduct Update

Since last month visible changes at the Viaduct project have been:

1. More work on the deck itself in preparation for the pouring of concrete.
2. A massive excavation on the east side of the Viaduct to remove old pipe and such and prepare new pipe and for Geofoam.
3. The placing of many blocks of Geofoam on the west side of the Viaduct.

All of the following Images are my own from my flickr account sphansen47:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

FrontRunner is so awesome!
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

February TRAX Viaduct Update

1. Geofoam is being placed on both sides of the bridge.

2. Retraining walls are being constructed to cover and retain the Geofoam.

3. The work on City Creek appears to have concluded as it is now fully sealed in its concrete conduit.

4. Concrete deck pours are taking place.

All the following images are my own from my flickr account sphansen47:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by s.p.hansen; February 17th, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #6
pwalker

Likes (Received): 6

SLC metro area is very progressive with both mass transit and highway expansion. A very nice balance. They are an example of how to do it right.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #7
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

One of the biggest strengths helping the systems expand has been UTA's constant effort to prove that it can use tax payer money most efficiently when building these lines. UTA and city planners think big in size vs. thinking big in engineering marvels.

For instance, with the TRAX (light rail) system more than doubling in size UTA needed another larger maintenance facility to carry and care for the increased train load.

So they found a giant empty former ZCMI warehouse right along one of their new TRAX lines. They acquired it for cheep and gutted and revamped the thing into a perfectly functional maintenance facility for a much softer expense than had they built one from scratch.

Here are some photos I took (on my Android phone) of it when they had the open house this last fall.

UTA South Salt Lake TRAX service station:

The TRAX line enters the station from the east side. Before it reaches the station the line travels westward under I-15 and over a newly built bridge that allows it to traverse a massive bundle of heavy rail lines in South Salt Lake.

The North End of the Station.

These pier like platforms are a feature that is unique to this station required for the 77 new TRAX S70 train cars from Siemens Corp because all of the electronic equipment is located on the top of the trains.

The South End of the station.

The South End of the station (exterior).

A: TRAX stop @ 2100 South on the Sandy line.

B: New TRAX Maintenance Station in South Salt Lake off of South 900 West.

This is also part of the TRAX West Valley line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: TRAX stop @ 2100 South on the Sandy line.

B: Original TRAX Maintenance Station in Midvale at 613 W 6960 S.

This is also part of the TRAX Mid-Jordan line.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; February 17th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #8
geogregor

Likes (Received): 2224

Wow, I'm impressed how well those projects are going. I was in Salt Lake City in 2009 and remember driving across the viaduct which is now being replaced.
I also got stopped for speeding in the construction zone somewhere in the West Valley Corridor. Fortunately only got warning, no ticket
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 116

There a recent Yahoo article for the top 10 best cities for public transit and Salt Lake City was in the top 5. I was shocked, actually.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #10
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Wow, I'm impressed how well those projects are going. I was in Salt Lake City in 2009 and remember driving across the viaduct which is now being replaced.
I also got stopped for speeding in the construction zone somewhere in the West Valley Corridor. Fortunately only got warning, no ticket
I'm glad you got off the hook on that one!

If you come back to visit be careful driving on I-15 in the south end of the Salt Lake City metro near Provo because a giant segment of the Freeway is going through a 1.7 billion dollar design build overhaul right now and thus there are a lot of slower construction speed limits.

Sugar House streetcar to be a ‘model’ for U.S.

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

On a sun-kissed Sugar House street corner, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood shined 26 million rays of light Wednesday on a once-thriving Salt Lake City hub rendered weak by the recession.

By signing a $26 million check for a Sugar House streetcar line, LaHood is helping to resuscitate both a century-old transit model and, potentially, one of the capital city’s iconic neighborhoods.

There was little doubt from the clap-happy crowd of 100 huddled around the Sugar House monument.

Chris Detrick | The Salt Lake Tribune

Chris Detrick | The Salt Lake Tribune

“Since the buildings on the corner have been gone, we sure felt it,” said Kathryn Allen, manager of the nearby furniture store Home Again. “It will bring a lot more pedestrians. It will revive Sugar House.”

Light even gleamed off the puddle circling the much-derided “Sugar Hole” across the street. That vacant lot on the corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive was the symbolic heart of a more-vibrant Sugar House before shops were bulldozed and construction financing put out of reach.

“I expect it to raise our property values,” smiled Tamisa Burns, whose backyard on Simpson Avenue abuts the streetcar route. “We’re really excited to be able to ride it to TRAX and take it to the Utes game and not drive. This will add character.”

It also checks a key box on Washington’s transportation map, designed under President Barack Obama to be a web of new transit connections funded largely with stimulus funds.

“You’re a model now, you really are,” LaHood told the crowd, praising the partnership of Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and Utah Transit Authority for planning the two-mile line between the old Granite furniture block and Central Pointe TRAX station near 2100 South and 200 West. “Americans can still build great things.”

LaHood, who was “impressed” after touring the route, said the streetcar will be a lifeline for jobs and more. “They’re reviving the same neighborhoods they once helped create.”

In this case, it also will buoy a long-planned trail that will parallel the tracks on its way to connect Hidden Hollow in Sugar House with the Jordan River Parkway.

“We’re now working on it much more aggressively,” said Juan Arce-Larreta, chairman of PRATT, the Parley’s Rails, Trails and Tunnels coalition. “It was an idea, but it didn’t really have legs. This will fast-track it.”

Barbara Green, secretary of the Sugar House Merchants Association, called it fitting to focus the streetcar on one of the city’s historically most colorful commercial corridors. She thanked LaHood for investing in “this unique pocket of Salt Lake City.”

But the project does not come without concerns. If the streetcar line stimulates business, traffic congestion is sure to follow. Some homeowners worry about crime and sacrificed privacy. And Burton Brown, who lives on Simpson Avenue, worries about beeping crossing arms that could “drive me nuts.”

“I support it,” he said, “as long as it’s done right.”

Total cost for the project is pegged at $55.5 million. The check from the feds plus a $5 million contribution from Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake make up $31 million. Another $18 million comes from UTA between the agency’s 2002 purchase of the corridor and its funding for three streetcars, according to agency spokesman Gerry Carpenter.

That leaves about $6 million, which Carpenter says may be reduced in the bidding process due to low costs of materials. “We’re confident we can get there,” he said.

But officials are not taking any chances. Moments after LaHood signed the cardboard check, UTA General Manager Mike Allegra yelled, “where’s the nearest Sugar House bank?”

Salt Lake City awarded grant for downtown streetcar study

KSL
Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — The Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City has been awarded a $470,000 federal grant to study options for a downtown streetcar system.

The Salt Lake City project was among 24 selected to receive a share of $25.7 million from the Federal Transit Administration. The funds will help Salt Lake City explore alignment options and operating concepts for a downtown streetcar system.

Mayor Ralph Becker said the funding allows Utah's capital city to take a "giant step" toward development of a streetcar system and provide more transit options for residents and visitors.

"With a daytime population that doubles every day, the City Creek development under way and the expansive growth of our downtown core in Salt Lake City, the timing of this funding to increase our transit options couldn't be better," Becker said in a news release.

Analysis of the streetcar system will be conducted by a technical advisory team that includes the city's divisions of transportation, engineering, housing and urban development, planning, sustainability and economic development, as well as the Utah Transit Authority.

The study area encompasses the section of downtown bordered by 500 East, 600 West, South Temple and 900 South.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13750661

Here is a quick illustration of the border in SLC in which the street car study will take place:

Here is a proposal cited from a previous Deseret News Article about the city asking for Federal Money to begin the downtown system.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ar-system.html

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #11
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Airport TRAX Line update:

I took some more pictures of the Airport TRAX Line progress.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

TRAX right of way cut into the road.
image hosted on flickr

New sidewalks are being poured that are much wider and set away from the street. Also, though not visible in the pictures, there are new nice looking black street lights and stop lights.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Unfortunately I found out that having a clear lens protection cover causes some yellow orbs and halos to appear in sunset pictures.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #12
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

West Valley / Mid-Jordan TRAX Updates

A friend and fellow local transit enthusiast took these photos of the new West Valley TRAX line and Mid-Jordan TRAX line extensions that will be ready for service on August 7th, 2011.

image hosted on flickr

DSC00009 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00011 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00012 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00013 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00015 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00016 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00018 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00019 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00020 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00017 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00021 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00023 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00029 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00032 by Mattjgray, on Flickr
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #13
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

FrontRunner South : Salt Lake City to Provo

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar1 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar2 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar3 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar4 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar5 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar6 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar7 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar8 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar9 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar10 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar11 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar12 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar13 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar14 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
FRSouthmar15 by sphansen47, on Flickr
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #14
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Cell carriers to roll out payment program in Utah

Associated Press
By Brian Skoloff

Quote:
A joint venture between three of the four largest wireless cell phone carriers will soon bring a mobile payment program to Utah's public transportation system.

The move marks the first commercially available mobile fare payment offering in the United States

Isis, a mobile commerce joint venture between AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile USA and Verizon Wireless, announced Tuesday it will roll out the pilot program in Salt Lake City in 2012, offering an alternative to credit and debit cards for Utah Transit Authority fare payments.

The program is also set to work for point-of-sale purchases at retailers in the area.

AT&T's Mark Siegel says the companies expect the program to eventually be used nationwide, much like how text messaging became wildly popular once cell phone companies began allowing messaging between different carriers
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15026995
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #15
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

April North Temple Viaduct Update

The North Temple viaduct, a major connector between the core
of Utah's capital city and points west.

Utah Transit Authority

image hosted on flickr

viaductmarch1 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductmarch2 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductmarch3 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductmarch4 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril1 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril2 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril9 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril3 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril6 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril4 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril5 by sphansen47, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

viaductapril8 by sphansen47, on Flickr
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #16
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Two FrontRunner commuter trains at the Inter-model Hub in Salt Lake City

image hosted on flickr

Salt Lake City: Intermodel Hub by sphansen47, on Flickr

The old Rio Grande Depot across the street

image hosted on flickr

Salt Lake City: Rio Grande Depot by sphansen47, on Flickr
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1664

image hosted on flickr

TRAX S70 Test train at Sandy Expo Center TRAX station by Dornoff Photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

TRAX S70 Test train arriving Sandy Expo Center TRAX station by Dornoff Photography, on Flickr
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #18
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
West Valley / Mid-Jordan TRAX Updates

A friend and fellow local transit enthusiast took these photos of the new West Valley TRAX line and Mid-Jordan TRAX line extensions that will be ready for service on August 7th, 2011.

image hosted on flickr

DSC00009 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00011 by Mattjgray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC00012 by Mattjgray, on Flickr
Any photos of today's Opening?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #19
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

I did not have a chance to take pictures today, but I can recount the glorious opening day for you all (pictures to come over the week).

I first rode the new TRAX light rail line that now runs from the University of Utah down the existing Sandy Line and out to West Jordan and Daybreak. This line is the Red line and it's massive by our own standards here in regards to how far it penetrates from Wasatch Front on the East to the West mountains on the other side of the valley. Once you get off the segment of the Red line that overlaps the University and Sandy segments (when you cross under I-15 to head West) the train travels between 63-65 miles an hour when you are not turning! Parts of the Red line are so undeveloped that we saw Antelope.

The Green line, like the Red line, was born today. It now connects West Valley with the existing Sandy line into downtown SLC and into the SLC Central Station. Though shorter, what this line will do to connect the existing BRT into downtown SLC will be very important. It connects West Valley city center along with venue for hockey games and concerts (the Maverick Center) into the system. When the airport is connected to light rail it will be part of the Green line. And finally, the line known before as the SLC Central to Sandy line is now called the Blue line.

On each line trains stop every 15 mins on weekdays and every 20 mins on weekends. However, if you are downtown then you have a situation where 2 lines overlap making train stops more frequent and if you are on the Sandy line just south of downtown you have 3 lines overlap until the West Valley and Daybreak lines branch off.

I love the new trains, they are smooth, quiet and fast (they are also very sexy).

Last edited by s.p.hansen; August 8th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #20
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 823

Does SLC have already BRT line? I've heard about planned BRt but didnt know it's existing now. Any pictures and map of it?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪Korea/Japonia₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt lake city