daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #721
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

What happens to Tram 1 when the Vitosha station opens? seems to me they are competing for the same passengers, aren't they?
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #722
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

Vitosha station

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...8%D0%B0%22.jpg

dimlys1994, sandoz25 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:53 PM   #723
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

New Sofia Metro Station Opens, Adding 15 000 Passengers

A new metro station has opened in Bulgaria's capital Sofia on Wednesday.

Vitosha station, in the southern neighborhood of Hladilnika, at the junction of Cherni Vrah Blvd and Srebarna Str, will be connected to the Blue line (M2)'s James Bourchier station[...]

Old July 21st, 2016, 09:34 PM   #724
zzibit

Likes (Received): 318

Another milestone in the success that is the Sofia Metropoliten

Tågälskaren liked this post
zzibit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:49 PM   #725
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5445

Sofia Metro

Metro starts at 4:37. I also took some footage on the new Vitosha station

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

dimlys1994, gogo3o, Andrej_LJ liked this post
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #726
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

Documentary about Sofia metro construction:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

LG_, ok2 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #727
dimlys1994

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...-launched.html

Sofia metro Line 3 TBM launched
13 Mar 2017

BULGARIA: The tunnel boring machine for the first phase of Sofia metro Line 3 has been launched. The 9·4 m diameter TBM has been supplied by Herrenknecht.

The 7·8 km, eight-station first phase of the east-west line is due to open in 2019. It includes 7 km of bored tunnel with six underground stations. A consortium of Doğuş, Via Construct and Ultrastroy is lead contractor, and a consortium of Siemens and Newag is to supply signalling and 20 three-car trainsets

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

ok2, Qtya liked this post
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #728
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Sofia metro is one of the rapidly increasing metro in Europe. It currently has 2 lines— Line 1 & 2— the network is mostly underground.

After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. Here I’m writing.

1) The southeastern extension of line 1 towards Malinova Dolina is planned. There will be only 2 new stations. This extension will be very important because the south-east Sofia is still not well connected by public transport. Tram network is not present in this area, So I think this extension should be constructed quickly as soon as possible. It will cross River Banishka, but how? By a tunnel or by a bridge? When this extension is planned for opening?

2) The southern extension of line 2 towards Dragalevtsi is also planned. There will be also only 2 new stations. This extension will be also very important because the south Sofia is also still not well connected by public transport. Tram network is also not present in this area, So I think this extension also should be constructed quickly as soon as possible. When this extension is planned for opening?

3) The northern extension of line 2 towards Iliyantsi is also planned. It will be the longest extension of Sofia metro. There will be 4 new stations. This is a densely populated area I heard. Presently tram route 6, 11 and 12 serve this area. I think those three routes, especially route 11 and 12 will be closed after the metro extension, will it? When this extension is planned for opening? Personally I support replacing tram by metro.

4) The most important route I think will be line 3, which will run east to west. The 16 km long third line is planned to connect Ovcha Kupel neighborhood (in southwest Sofia) and Vasil Levski neighborhood (in northeast Sofia), with 16 stations in total, including two transfer stations in the city centre, with both of the already operational lines. It will cross both line 1 & 2 in Sofia University, and again line 2 at NDK. This route will be an important route because it will serve the Gorna Banya suburban rail station, where people could change from train to metro, and could enter much easily to central Sofia from southwest side. Also in NDK, it will be a great interchange in future by many crossings of metro and tram. NDK is already served by both underground metro and underground tram, it has the only underground tram stop. But this route will be technically much different than line 1 and 2. It will use driverless metro cars, all stations will be equipped with platform screen doors, and will take current from overhead wire or overhead rail via pantograph. My question is why those will be applied? Driverless trains, platform screen doors and overhead wire or rail—all are much expensive, and maintenance is also much higher. What is the problem to make this line like 1 & 2 by conventional train, third rail and without platform screen door ? Two different types of current collection and rolling stock are not practical, because it will be incompatible with other routes, and transfer metro stocks from line 3 to other lines will not possible. It will only increase running cost. Is the suicide rate on metro track is high on Sofia?

5) Why the elevated portion of the metro network is covered by blue transparent sheet? Is this for protection from ice like Sapporo?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #729
ok2

Likes (Received): 2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post

5) Why the elevated portion of the metro network is covered by blue transparent sheet? Is this for protection from ice like Sapporo?
Snow, ice and noise.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
ok2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #730
Ashis Mitra

Thanks for your reply, you or anyone please try to answer the remaining questions.
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #731
witch_honor
Спасяващ метрото

Likes (Received): 5426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Sofia metro is one of the rapidly increasing metro in Europe. It currently has 2 lines— Line 1 & 2— the network is mostly underground.

After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. Here I’m writing.

1) The southeastern extension of line 1 towards Malinova Dolina is planned. There will be only 2 new stations. This extension will be very important because the south-east Sofia is still not well connected by public transport. Tram network is not present in this area, So I think this extension should be constructed quickly as soon as possible. It will cross River Banishka, but how? By a tunnel or by a bridge? When this extension is planned for opening?

2) The southern extension of line 2 towards Dragalevtsi is also planned. There will be also only 2 new stations. This extension will be also very important because the south Sofia is also still not well connected by public transport. Tram network is also not present in this area, So I think this extension also should be constructed quickly as soon as possible. When this extension is planned for opening?

3) The northern extension of line 2 towards Iliyantsi is also planned. It will be the longest extension of Sofia metro. There will be 4 new stations. This is a densely populated area I heard. Presently tram route 6, 11 and 12 serve this area. I think those three routes, especially route 11 and 12 will be closed after the metro extension, will it? When this extension is planned for opening? Personally I support replacing tram by metro.

4) The most important route I think will be line 3, which will run east to west. The 16 km long third line is planned to connect Ovcha Kupel neighborhood (in southwest Sofia) and Vasil Levski neighborhood (in northeast Sofia), with 16 stations in total, including two transfer stations in the city centre, with both of the already operational lines. It will cross both line 1 & 2 in Sofia University, and again line 2 at NDK. This route will be an important route because it will serve the Gorna Banya suburban rail station, where people could change from train to metro, and could enter much easily to central Sofia from southwest side. Also in NDK, it will be a great interchange in future by many crossings of metro and tram. NDK is already served by both underground metro and underground tram, it has the only underground tram stop. But this route will be technically much different than line 1 and 2. It will use driverless metro cars, all stations will be equipped with platform screen doors, and will take current from overhead wire or overhead rail via pantograph. My question is why those will be applied? Driverless trains, platform screen doors and overhead wire or rail—all are much expensive, and maintenance is also much higher. What is the problem to make this line like 1 & 2 by conventional train, third rail and without platform screen door ? Two different types of current collection and rolling stock are not practical, because it will be incompatible with other routes, and transfer metro stocks from line 3 to other lines will not possible. It will only increase running cost. Is the suicide rate on metro track is high on Sofia?

1) The project and "research" for the extension was ordered and payed by the owners of the huge mall + IKEA built in the area. This extension, if built, will be illegal because it doesn't comply with Sofia's General Urban Plan, which is with a stature of law, voted on and ratified by the National Assembly. In addition there is a controversy involving this extension: corruption etc.

2) The M2 extension is a bit more than just two more stations. There are two more stations, following the Cherni vrah Blvd and a branch, crossing Vitosha dstr and reaching Studentski grad (the Campus dstr).

There are no immediate plans for construction.

3) The area is not populated. When the extension was planned the area was busy industrial region with lots of workers. Now it's not that busy. This extension is important because it ends in a large slab of land that is reserved for a new depot. But again: no immediate plans for construction. The problem is that the city makes no effort to stimulate the urbanisation.

4) The rolling stock will not be driverless at first. The trains will have the capacity to run without a driver though. The screen doors are planned to be 1.5m high which defeats the purpose, I think. Why other rolling stock? Well, 1) it breaks the monopoly of Metrovagonmash on rolling stock deliveries, M3 is going to use new (modern) systems, rather than the modernized Soviet system used on M1 and M2 and 3) it will have a dedicated depot, fully independent from the other lines. In the documentation of the line, M3 is declared as "light metro", which (in principle) must be able to be compatible with surface traffic if needed: no coverings, no fences etc.

5) Protection from ice, wind, rain and most of all - protection from people, entering the track. There is one open track, immediately before Sofia Airport station.

Cheers,
Gergin Borisov
Spasi metroto (Save the metro)
Spasi Sofia (Save Sofia)
Old March 18th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #732
erejnion

Likes (Received): 2285

All of the mentioned areas aren't quite as densely populated as the planned extensions of M3: towards Levski and a branch towards Slatina.
Also, arguably, the short branch extension in Lyulin of just two stations is the most important one. There are no plans to start it however before the current works on M3 are finished.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
erejnion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #733
Ashis Mitra

Thanks to both for my answer.
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #734
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

Would not the planned system be more complete with the following additions?

dimlys1994 liked this post
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:33 PM   #735
dimlys1994

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...tro-train.html

Newag and Siemens present first Sofia Line 3 metro train
22 Nov 2017

BULGARIA: The first metro train for Sofia metro Line 3 is nearing completion in Newag’s Nowy Sącz factory, where it was presented to officials from Sofia Metropoliten on November 15.

In September 2015 a consortium of Siemens and Newag was awarded a €140m contract to supply rolling stock and signalling for the 8 km, eight-station first phase of the east-west line, which is due to open in 2019. The order is being 70% funded by the EU

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Vladk0, gogo3o, aquaticko liked this post

Tags
метро, metro