daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #161
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

No it's not too low. The initial plans when the extension of the MD1 started was to reach 200 000 passengers per day somewhen in late 2011, and the authorities were slightly suprised when this happened already in mid December 2009 Hopefully when the 2 new stations that are under construction are ready in 2012(Mladost 3 and Expo Center) the number will be steady over 200 000 per day. You can take the Stokholm metro for example as well ... it has 7 lines(110 km.) with 100 stations and has only ~ 1 000 000 passengers per day or the Bucharest one - 4 Lines, 68 km, 48 stations and only ~700k passengers per day

You can also consider that the expenses for the construction of the Sofia metro are one of the lowest in Europe. Sofia ~25-30 mil. EUR per km., London ~60-80 mil. EUR per km., Athenes ~100 mil. EUR per km.

Last edited by Turnovec; March 5th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #162
Ivanski
инто спейс

Likes (Received): 33

And a construction works on MD2 uptade ,March 2010, 10x to ILB

Lions bridge area:

[IMG]http://i47.************/rb0fm8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/ixw4r8.jpg[/IMG]

Banishora area :

[IMG]http://i48.************/2jcewdc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/2rz28nd.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://i49.************/2506kqw.jpg[/IMG]

Lomsko shousse area:

[IMG]http://i47.************/bm045.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2uhsmet.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/2lkw48i.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #163
Evil78

Likes (Received): 1716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnovec View Post
No it's not too low. The initial plans when the extension of the MD1 started was to reach 200 000 passengers per day somewhen in late 2011, and the authorities were slightly suprised when this happened already in mid December 2009 Hopefully when the 2 new stations that are under construction are ready in 2012(Mladost 3 and Expo Center) the number will be steady over 200 000 per day. You can take the Stokholm metro for example as well ... it has 7 lines(110 km.) with 100 stations and has only ~ 1 000 000 passengers per day or the Bucharest one - 4 Lines, 68 km, 48 stations and only ~700k passengers per day

You can also consider that the expenses for the construction of the Sofia metro are one of the lowest in Europe. Sofia ~25-30 mil. EUR per km., London ~60-80 mil. EUR per km., Athenes ~100 mil. EUR per km.
Still, i think that planing and building an expensive underground metro-system, only for it to be used by 200.000 passengers/day is just not worth it. You can use 2-3 bus-lines or upgrade 1 or 2 tram lines to light-rail or something. I mean, the Bucharest-metro company is aiming for +1 mill. passengers, when 3 new stations open this year.(this number represents aprox.50% of the population). Stocholm has a population of aprox. 1.2mill, so with a 1mill./day ridership, the metro is being used by a wast majority of the Stocholmers. In this two cities you've mentioned, having an underground metro is an absolute necessity.
It's only my opinion. Maybe that economic factors and forecasts say otherwise. Or the population of Sofia is still used to the buses and trams, and it will take a while, until they realize that traveling by metro has it's advantages.
On the other hand i think that constructors did a good job in Sofia, not many cities in Europe have such nice and modern stations.

Last edited by Evil78; March 5th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Evil78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #164
Ivanski
инто спейс

Well , it's about 150-200k per day for a stretch of the MD1 , still it has 2 more uncompleted sections of the same diameter - to 'Mladost4' district and to the airport(with about 10 stations) according to 1st diameter plan.
If the MD3 is constructed as a regular underground diameter as in the original idea ,and not some LRT line (some recently introduced possibility) the total capacity of the metro system should be 65km, 63 stations and 1.2 mil passengers per day. But funding for the MD3 seems to be a hard challenge so far.
Actually if you look at the number of passengers used the metro in 98'-2009 period , there's quite a significant progress. In '98-'03 period the metro was used only by 30k per day, after opening the stretch to 'Obelya' station it increased up to 80k and now with the opening of the stretch to 'Mladost1' it reached 200k and that's with just 2/3 of MD1.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #165
Turnovec
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil78 View Post
Still, i think that planing and building an expensive underground metro-system, only for it to be used by 200.000 passengers/day is just not worth it. You can use 2-3 bus-lines or upgrade 1 or 2 tram lines to light-rail or something. I mean, the Bucharest-metro company is aiming for +1 mill. passengers, when 3 new stations open this year.(this number represents aprox.50% of the population). Stocholm has a population of aprox. 1.2mill, so with a 1mill./day ridership, the metro is being used by a wast majority of the Stocholmers. In this two cities you've mentioned, having an underground metro is an absolute necessity.
It's only my opinion. Maybe that economic factors and forecasts say otherwise. Or the population of Sofia is still used to the buses and trams, and it will take a while, until they realize that traveling by metro has it's advantages.
On the other hand i think that constructors did a good job in Sofia, not many cities in Europe have such nice and modern stations.
The metro system is like a constantly growing and changing organism. Don't you think that when the Stockholm or Bucharest metro systems had about 14 stations and only 1 unfinished line there were as low as 150-200k passengers per day using them?

The plan of the municipalty is that when the 13 new stations U/C of both MD1 and MD2 are ready in mid 2012 the number of passengers to reach ~550 000 or 38% of the daily traffic in Sofia Then Sofia will have only 27 stations operational with ~30km. length. This whole thing will result in 110 000 traffic hours less for Sofians, the car traffic will drop by 18%, which will lead to 90 000 tones less of carbon gases in the athmosphere. Does that sound better to you ?

Last edited by Turnovec; March 5th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #166
zzibit

Likes (Received): 318

@evil78 you have to realize that the current operational stretch is only a fraction of the planned network and VERY NEW! it takes time for people to readjust their habits when it comes to transportation and so forth. once lines 1 and 2 are completed, daily ridership will hit 500,000. no doubt about that.
zzibit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #167
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Really nice, clean, modern stations.
But i was wondering if a daily ridership of only ~170.000 for a 18km-line isn't a bit too low (aprox. 10% of the population)? I mean, does Sofia really need a metro system if the people are not using it? I don't want to offend anyone, just asking. Other cities have also shorter metro-lines like in Sofia, but just to bring you an example, the 23km long Warsaw line is being used by over 520.000 people every day.
Under these circumstances, how can the Sofia-metro ever get profitable? Or are the tickets so expensive, that they cover the lack of passengers?

Decide for yourself!Just to catch you up:this had been shot before(October 27, 2008) the last expansion(september,2009) of the underground system.There had been only 8 stations at that time.Sadly, the expansion and the few new trains managed only to keep this more or less madness every 4 minutes instead of 8 in the morning between 7.00-10.00 and 16.00-20.00.

btw,the official data is that Sofia is 1,4mln(cyrllic sorce )and authorities act according to it.And daily ridership is 190-200k,which was expected not until the end of this year.So you have miscalculated.

And since Sofia is considered by bulgarians as a "dreamland",where everyone is happy and well-paid,it will by no doubt grow larger.The number of people that live outside our capitol,but work here,is increasing intensively as well.

We,on the bulgarian section,keep moaning and groaning,because the officials have changed the original plans that were drawn by communists(who envisaged Sofia to be no more than 1,2mln) in the 70s(!)and shortened the stations.Now the shortest stations on both diameters will be 105m.Our metro is build small in order to save money and relying only on current passenger flows(which proves to be underestimated).

Maybe you in Bucharest have a russian type of metro-huge and glorious,but ours is not,unfortunately for bulgarian skyscrapercity users.Our trains consist of only 3 wagons type "Русич":

or 4 wagons type "номерный"(85-sth):

So rest assure,EU money and money of people of Japan was spent and will be spent well.

On the other hand,if you believe that an underground should look like this:

no one on Earth could convince you that Sofia should have suchAnd if this is true and I go to Bucharest,I will not use your public transport.

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; March 10th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #168
Stelian

Likes (Received): 1493

The work has started in the 'Sveta Nedelq' station where the two lines will cross
Thanks to FloatingShift for the photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingShift View Post
Ето и временната уличка, която минава точно пред входа на ЦУМ.
The work has started in the 'Sevta Nedelq' station.This is the where the two lines will cross.Thanks to FloatingShift for the pictures

А ето и археологическите останки, за които стана дума по-горе. Интересно ми е какво ще ги правят, като попадат в очертанията на станцията.

Stelian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #169
miroruse
Rsexpert

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Still, i think that planing and building an expensive underground metro-system, only for it to be used by 200.000 passengers/day is just not worth it. You can use 2-3 bus-lines or upgrade 1 or 2 tram lines to light-rail or something. I mean, the Bucharest-metro company is aiming for +1 mill. passengers, when 3 new stations open this year.(this number represents aprox.50% of the population).
why don't you offer 2-3 bus lines to your capital instead of metro line? Bucharest metro is about 20 years older than Sofia's and it looks to me devastated and overwhelmingly grim. And expensive. With the exclusion of the new Bombardier cars, it needs quite a lot of refurbishment. Sofia metro is just perfect for the capital of Bulgaria. No need for further discussion on this topic - it has been already decided in the 60's and it is fine.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #170
Stelian

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroruse View Post
why don't you offer 2-3 bus lines to your capital instead of metro line? Bucharest metro is about 20 years older than Sofia's and it looks to me devastated and overwhelmingly grim. And expensive. With the exclusion of the new Bombardier cars, it needs quite a lot of refurbishment. Sofia metro is just perfect for the capital of Bulgaria. No need for further discussion on this topic - it has been already decided in the 60's and it is fine.
You don't have to be so harsh.The guy is interested in Sofia metro and is saying good things about it.And he is right that 200000p/d is a small number for a city with almost 2mln.(we all espect it to rise).. no offence
Stelian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #171
Evil78

Quote:
??? What happened to you, boy? I was just asking some questions about the Sofia metro,... so how did we end up in discussing about the new Bombardier cars?

P.S.: Don't you worry about the Bucharest metro. The company is heading in a good direction with some massive investment in the next years(over 1 bln. euro!)The old stations are being renovated, and are clean and serve their purpose, the new stations look decent, the rolling stock is, as you also said, new, and works are under way on line 5 and 7 for another 30 km of metro, which will take the total nr. of km to over 100 in next 2 years.
Plus, why do you consider 30 eurocents for a ticket so expensive??

Last edited by Evil78; March 10th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #172
miroruse
Rsexpert

no offence but those propositions - they don't sound quite sound to me I would be glad to see a renovated metrostation. Do u have any source to see "before"/"after" station from the old one - Dristor or Gara de Nord for ex.? When I enter one of these stations I feel like Nicolae Ceauşescu & Elena are still ruling on the ground above.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #173
Evil78

Quote:
no offence but those propositions - they don't sound quite sound to me I would be glad to see a renovated metrostation. Do u have any source to see "before"/"after" station from the old one - Dristor or Gara de Nord for ex.? When I enter one of these stations I feel like Nicolae Ceauşescu & Elena are still ruling on the ground above.
You're a very funny guy, but seeing how smart you are, i doubt that you were even born by the time they shot the late Ceausescu, so i think you shouldn't start speaking about that period.
I will say it one last time, maybe you didn't notice, but this is a thread about the Sofia metro, so i will not start to post pictures here about the construction works in the Bucharest metro system. But i see that you have a great interest in this subject, and in the future of the Bucharest-metro, so please, feel free to visit the threads dedicated to it. (even if most of them are in romanian, i'm sure that people will answer you in english if you have some questions).
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...637447&page=60
or this...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1008487&page=8
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #174
miroruse
Rsexpert

Quote:
You're a very funny guy, but seeing how smart you are, i doubt that you were even born by the time they shot the late Ceausescu, so i think you shouldn't start speaking about that period.
I will say it one last time, maybe you didn't notice, but this is a thread about the Sofia metro, so i will not start to post pictures here about the construction works in the Bucharest metro system. But i see that you have a great interest in this subject, and in the future of the Bucharest-metro, so please, feel free to visit the threads dedicated to it. (even if most of them are in romanian, i'm sure that people will answer you in english if you have some questions).
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...637447&page=60
or this...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1008487&page=8
Va multumesc
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #175
Nyuszi
#1 Bunny

Likes (Received): 19

Sofia Metro Construction Stumbles upon Invaluable Archaeology Site

The construction of the second metro line in the Bulgarian capital Sofia has been stopped over the discovery of a unique archaeology site.

On Monday the builders came across a medieval church located in the very downtown of Sofia, next to the Tzum retail center. This led to a temporary termination of the construction work.

Bulgaria’s Culture Minister Vezhdi Rashidov and the Chief Architect of Sofia Petar Dikov inspected the site on Tuesday.

Archaeologist Snezhana Goryanova from the National Archaeology Institute showed the two top officials around the spot showing them the remains of the church with preserved murals dating back to the 12th century, and remains of early medieval buildings dating to the 5th-6th century. Several medieval graves have been discovered near the church.

Minister Rashidov has made it clear that a special commission of experts is going to inspect the site of the frozen construction, and will come up with measures on how to continue building the metro and to preserve the findings.

The Culture Minister has declared that he is impressed with the new discoveries and that the authorities have to do whatever is needed in order to preserve them.

Archaeologist Goryanova has stated that a temporary shelter must be constructed in order to preserve the finds. According to archaeologist Mario Ivanov, there are two ways to achieve this – by taking them out of the spot and setting them in a museum, or by keeping them on their original spot, and having the metro line go much deeper, below them.

The Chief Architect of Sofia, Petar Dikov, has promised to comply fully with the recommendations of the experts of the Ministry of Culture and the Archaeological Institute. He said the construction of the second metro line is going to continue only after a decision has been made on what to do with the finds.

Downtown Sofia is filled with archaeological sites from the Antiquity and the Middle Ages; Sofia Architect Petar Dikov has revealed a plan to restore the Roman streets and structures of Sofia, known in Roman times as Serdika, in order to create an open-air tourist attraction.

http://novinite.com/view_news.php?id=114264
Nyuszi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #176
Turnovec
-----------

Several photos from the site with the archeological finds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingShift View Post

Old April 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #177
Turnovec
-----------

The TBM started digging the tunnel for MD2 today

Few pics of the event thanks to Tego:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tego View Post

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #178
Ivanski
инто спейс

Was SuperBianka really necessary Those are nice kicks btw
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #179
Turnovec
-----------

Since the first photo was of SuperBobo i was obliged to finish with SuperBianka at the end

Several more shots, thanks to Tego again of the construction site of Banishora station, part of MD2 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tego View Post

Old April 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #180
batman08

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:

Metro tunnelling starts in Sofia

BULGARIA: Tunnelling for Sofia metro Line 2 started on April 6, when an 85 m long tunnel boring machine was launched in the presence of Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova, Sofia Metropolitan director Stoyan Bratoev and other government officials. Fandakova named the TBM after the city.

The €15m machine, weighing 1 600 tonnes, was purchased from Herrenknecht AG by Doğuş İnşaat, the contractor responsible for building the Nadezhda — Patriarch Evtimii section of Line 2.

The ceremony was held at the starting pit next to the road intersection at Nadezhda. The TBM will excavate a single two-track tunnel over the 3·8 km central section of Line 2 from Nadezhda to the junction of Vitosha Boulevard and Partiarch Evtimii, which will have four stations. Deadline for implementation is 15 months.

The machine will bore up to 9 m per day, generating about 1 000 m3 or 50 lorry loads of spoil per day. Construction staff will work 24 h/day, in three shifts.

The TBM will drill as deep as 23 m in places due to the nature of the terrain and the need to pass under two rivers in the city centre. The only station on Line 1 situated so deep is Vasil Levski Stadium. Lowest point on the route will be at Serdika station on St Nedelya Square where Line 2 passes under Line 1, 26 m below ground level.

Line 2 is funded by the EU’s Operational Programme for Transport. The project has an indicative budget of €245·7m, of which around €157·4m is coming in grants from the European Regional Development Fund. €157m will come directly from EU funds and €27·7m from national co-funding; the municipality will contribute €61m.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...-in-sofia.html

Tags
метро, metro