daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #21
Habfanman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Evidently Montreal has hot guys too!

Everyone I know that's visited Montreal loves it and wants to move there. I really should think about visiting.
Next time you're flitting between Melbs and London, ask the driver pull over city_thing !
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #22
SPQR
Demi god

Likes (Received): 1243

already miss it
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #23
Habfanman
BANNED

From Flickr and me:

Madama Butterfly, Opéra sous les étoiles/Opera Under the Stars, Place des Arts

Place Ville-Marie

Hôtel Place d'Armes

Parc St-Viateur

Canadian Centre for Architecture

Métro Champ-de-Mars

Place du Canada

McGill College Ave

Philips Square

La Petite Italie

Parc Jarry

Salle Wilfred-Pelletier, Place des Arts

Métro Sherbrooke

Rue St-Denis

Old September 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #24
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Montreal is my favorite city in NA so far.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #25
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244730

Very very nice
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #26
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

Montreal seems has similar vibe to Melbourne

Those photos conjure strong cultural, sporting, artistic, jolly, relaxing, cafe-ridden and fun city... am i right?

btw.. lucky beyatch!

]
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #27
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Montreal seems has similar vibe to Melbourne

Those photos conjure strong cultural, sporting, artistic, jolly, relaxing, cafe-ridden and fun city... am i right?
The Melbourne vibe reminded me a lot of Montréal, very easy-going with the emphasis on enjoyment and fun. Both cities pay attention to the little details at street level that don't seem that significant when taken individually, but the combined effect adds up to a much more visually pleasing aesthetic.

The major difference is the weather! While Melbs basks in eternal sunshine, Montréal has the full 4 seasons. Temperatures can range from -35 C in January to +35 C in July. Throw in some wind-chill or humidity and both extremes can extend into the low 40's. That's why we go so mental here in the summer! The last place you ever look for your friends from May to October is their house, they'll be on a terrasse, in a park or at a festival.. or a combination of all 3!

Language is another difference but most Montrealers are bi or trilingual and a great vibe will transcend any language difference. Twist one up, grab a couple of travellers at the corner store and head downtown! That ritual is the same in both cities.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #28
Habfanman
BANNED

From Christopher De Wolfe of Spacing Montréal on Flickr and me:

Hangin' out, rue St-Laurent

Traffic jam, Lachine Canal

"Your duck will be a few minutes Monsieur"

Two guys, three wheels

inbeat, rue St-Laurent

"Yeah I bought these cool socks.." rue St-Laurent

Little park, downtown

Shit! It rained!

Flowery houses

Dudes, rue St-Laurent

Recurring dream of mine, Parc Mont-Royal

Bibliothèque/library, rue Mont-Royal

Pedestrian street, rue Prince-Arthur

Bike lanes, Boul de Maisonneuve

Métro Square Victoria

Basilique Marie-Reine-du-Monde

Old September 6th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #29
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

is this a gay precinct?

the hunky two blokes on the right with a pram - i am not suprised if they are a couple ?

groovy vibe around Montreal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
The Melbourne vibe reminded me a lot of Montréal, very easy-going with the emphasis on enjoyment and fun. Both cities pay attention to the little details at street level that don't seem that significant when taken individually, but the combined effect adds up to a much more visually pleasing aesthetic.

The major difference is the weather! While Melbs basks in eternal sunshine, Montréal has the full 4 seasons. Temperatures can range from -35 C in January to +35 C in July. Throw in some wind-chill or humidity and both extremes can extend into the low 40's. That's why we go so mental here in the summer! The last place you ever look for your friends from May to October is their house, they'll be on a terrasse, in a park or at a festival.. or a combination of all 3!

Language is another difference but most Montrealers are bi or trilingual and a great vibe will transcend any language difference. Twist one up, grab a couple of travellers at the corner store and head downtown! That ritual is the same in both cities.
very well put there.... little details seem very crucial in both cities and also the citizens seem to embrace the city beat and its events...

I went twice in 2 weeks to Melbourne National Gallery in winter after work (Art after Dark every Wednesday) and the atmosphere was soo buzzing and full of these art goers right untill late night... so exciting... there were live music, Blockbuster art show, Ballet, and stage shows.... right in the Art precinct of Southbank

although i beg to dissagree that Melb would not bask in the internal sunshine (in Aus context - it has the notorious image/perception of having a Four Seasons in ONE day and gloomy and coldest climate) - and we do have the most full 4 Seasons (again in Aus context) - yet - no we dont have -35 C in winter....

i have not seen much photos of Montreal... so thanking you for putting this thread together

I do also admit Toronto does also remind me a bit of Melbourne (thanks to Taller & Better)

This NZ chap - Sydney has put really nice showcase of Melb from his recent trip - worth checking

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=633031

Last edited by Alibaba; September 6th, 2008 at 05:38 AM.
Alibaba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #30
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:

Hangin' out, rue St-Laurent

A Slovenian store in Montreal??!!?!? I would never have imagined that such a thing exists!!
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #31
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Language is another difference but most Montrealers are bi or trilingual and a great vibe will transcend any language difference.
At the 2006 Canadian census, only 52% of people in Montréal reported that they could speak both French and English. 48% of people reported they could speak either French only (39%), or English only (7%), or neither French nor English (2%).

So it's a bit exaggerated to say that most Montrealers are bi or trilingual. In fact nearly half of them are unilingual.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #32
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Tourists usually visit the downtown area when they travel, and are unlikely to go to outlying suburbs. You will be very surprised when you visit Montreal, Brisavoine, for as Habfanman says there is a lot more bilingualism available for the tourist than you imagine. Hearing both English and French on the streets is common. It is not like visiting a city in France, and people do not have to worry that they won't be understood when they visit Montreal. They will, and they will have a great time!
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #33
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Tourists usually visit the downtown area when they travel, and are unlikely to go to outlying suburbs.
Well, the figures I gave are for the entire metro area (they include the suburbs), but even if you take only the city of Montréal proper, which is smaller than the island of Montréal, then according to the census 54% of people in the city of Montréal proper can speak both French and English, so only 2% more than in the whole metro area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
You will be very surprised when you visit Montreal, Brisavoine,
Who said I've never visited?? I even have a cousin living there.

Last edited by brisavoine; September 6th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #34
Taller, Better
Administrator

Oh, sorry. I thought you told me once you wanted to visit but had not. In any case, I agree with habfanman on this. It is not hard to get around with speaking English. If I were asked on a questionaire if I am bilingual or not, I would say: "No", because I am not fluent. But I also have absolutely no problem saying in French most things that I need to say... it is not perfect, but people understand what I mean. I don't think anyone should ever hesitate to visit Montreal because they are afraid they will not be understood if they speak only English. They will be made to feel welcome.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #35
brisavoine
BANNED

The question asked in the census was precisely this one:

In the city of Montréal proper, 54% of people marked the circle "Both English and French"/"Français et anglais". In the Montréal metro area, 52% of people marked that circle.

So it's not like they asked people whether they were bilingual, they only asked them whether they could conduct a conversation, and nearly half of them reported they can conduct a conversation only in one language.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #36
Taller, Better
Administrator

Hey, that's cool. Rather than hang up the thread over one point, maybe habfanman will post some more fine pictures of his city!
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #37
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

A little OT, but its sad that Montreal is not well liked by many people.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #38
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
At the 2006 Canadian census, only 52% of people in Montréal reported that they could speak both French and English. 48% of people reported they could speak either French only (39%), or English only (7%), or neither French nor English (2%).

So it's a bit exaggerated to say that most Montrealers are bi or trilingual. In fact nearly half of them are unilingual.
It depends on which measurement people impose upon themselves brisavoine. Many people can carry on a basic conversation in both languages but don't consider themselves to be bilingual. To use myself as an example, I arrived here in 2006 and would have reported then that I was unilingual but after 2 years of studying french, I would now report that I am bilingual although I still don't consider myself to be fluently bilingual. There are conversations which I can conduct completely in French and where I am totally comfortable yet there are topics (for example: auto mechanics, medical ailments, taxes) where I will be lost because I have yet to learn the vocabulary. If I were to be asked now I would probably check bilingual, but only because I know that I will be bilingual within the next year or so. I live in Rosemont, a 93% francophone quartier, and most everywhere I go people will try to converse with me in english upon hearing my heavily accented french. We wind up speaking 'franglais', with each person contributing what they know in the others' language.

I find that unilingual people tend to be older, whether they are anglophone or francophone and it's rare to meet people in their 20's or younger who are not able to speak both.

Immigrants, especially their children, tend to become trilingual. They arrive with their native language plus French or English and immediately begin learning the missing language. In my French courses at university, all of my fellow students are immigrants. I would guess that around 40% already speak fluent English. Most of the Eastern Europeans speak their native language as well as Russian. I have Colombian friends who speak fluent Spanish and French and are learning English at Concordia and my German buddy speaks fluent German, French, English and some Russian. My roommate and virtually all of his friends are fluently bilingual and he is now learning Spanish, which is quickly becoming the de-facto 3rd language of the city. My girlfriend is Dominican and she speaks Spanish, French and is learning English at McGill. I'm tutoring a woman from Kyrgyzstan who is learning French and who speaks speaks Kyrgyz and some Chinese and Russian. She helps me with French as she speaks extremely well.

I managed to find a fantastic job as a part time, English language teaching assistant at a francophone CEGEP (junior college) so I teach English in the morning and study French in the afternoon. I'm amazed by my students' basic ability to read and converse in English after 5 years of mandatory classes in elementary and high school. It's my job to help them with their pronounciation and grammar (the usual problems with 'h', 'th' and plural forms with 's and past tense 'ed'). My 100 and 101 students would probably not consider themselves to be bilingual but they can speak perfectly understandable English, they simply commit a lot of minor errors and their writing skills need a lot of improvement.

You can live in Montréal speaking only one language (definately French, but it is also possible in English) but to do so, you'd be missing the many charms and seductions of the city. Unilingual anglophones miss out on the enormous cultural and artistic output of the francophone community, find their job opportunities limited and generally isolate themselves in the 20% or so anglo areas thus missing out on 80% of the fun. Unilingual francophones miss out on the huge contributions that the anglo community has made, and continues to make, and their job opportunities are somewhat limited to jobs which don't require interaction with the rest of North America. You definately should speak French if you live here and it is not at all necessary to speak English, but I highly recommend it!

I hope that gives you a better insight brisavoine!
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #39
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Montreal isn't well liked? I would surely say the opposite; most people love the city (and with good reason)!
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #40
Taller, Better
Administrator

Did your camera arrive yet, habfanman?

Your summation of the language situation was perfect. A lot of Canadians are very hesitant and
shy to think of themselves as "bilingual", because we tend to think of fluently bilingual people being that category. Even if we can read, comprehend and speak on a basic level, we would be hesitant to label ourselves "bilingual".