daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #101
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Habsfan, ever been to an Impact game? If you have, do you have any pics?

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #102
Habfanman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho View Post
Habsfan, ever been to an Impact game? If you have, do you have any pics?
Yes Choco, I live about 10 minutes from Parc Olympique so I hit a few games up this year and borrowed a camera for the TFC match! I didn't get many usables as I was struggling with the controls, but I managed a few before darkness set in.

Last edited by Habfanman; October 8th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #103
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

This city doesn't get the international attention it deserves.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #104
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10984

I agree. Montreal was the economic, political, and social heart of Canada for over a century and a very powerful dominant city on this continent. The building stock is evidence of it, as are the Olympic facilities. Montreal was Canada's first global city, not Toronto.

Canadians appreciate Montreal because many of us have been there and understand this city's historical importance to the entire continent. Unfortunately, people around the world often don't see past Toronto. Montreal's cosmopolitan nature never dissipated, and thankfully, the city is prospering again.

I'd like nothing more than to see Montreal enter a century long re-ascension.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #105
Canadian Chocho

Personally I'd like another city rise up. Nothing against Montreal, it's just that it had its glory days already.

1 2 3
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #106
Habfanman
BANNED

Rudyard Kipling once gave an address at McGill University here in Montréal. He said one thing which deserves to be remembered. Warning the students against an over-concern for money or position or glory, he said: "Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are."

I think that this applies to cities as well. I'd much prefer to live in a city which celebrates life and the happiness and well-being of it citizens over one which celebrates greed and seeks "glory" by having the 'biggest this' or the 'most expensive that'. Glory such as that is fleeting indeed.

Montréal is alive and well thank you! This is my 14th city and I've never lived in a place that is more alive or more well. People here don't live to work, they work to live. That to me is the sign of a truly great city!
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #107
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
Rudyard Kipling once gave an address at McGill University here in Montréal. He said one thing which deserves to be remembered. Warning the students against an over-concern for money or position or glory, he said: "Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are."

I think that this applies to cities as well. I'd much prefer to live in a city which celebrates life and the happiness and well-being of it citizens over one which celebrates greed and seeks "glory" by having the 'biggest this' or the 'most expensive that'. Glory such as that is fleeting indeed.

Montréal is alive and well thank you! This is my 14th city and I've never lived in a place that is more alive or more well. People here don't live to work, they work to live. That to me is the sign of a truly great city!
Very well said and I must say I fully agree. Very,very few cities like this in workaholic North America.
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #108
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Personally I'd like another city rise up. Nothing against Montreal, it's just that it had its glory days already.
Montreal is one of the world's great cities. I'd prefer to contemplate the new heights Montreal could achieve and how this city would continue to fascinate if those glory days returned. I can appreciate wanting other cities to have their day in the sun, but I'm always in favour of a situation where "all boats rise."

Last edited by isaidso; October 11th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #109
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Frankly I think you lied stating that ,you are jealous and have all hatred toward MTL and it shown from every comment of yours when talking about MTL but that's ok because you don't live here as long as MTL still belongs to Canada I don't think the people that rule this Country would want to see MTL become rotten into pieces , it's in Canada when people around the world talking about this City anyway !
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #110
isaidso
the new republic

Canadian cities and towns belong to all Canadians and we should all care about the prosperity and development of every stitch of our land from sea to sea to sea.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #111
skyboi
BANNED

^ Yes and yes , as much as I love Montreal, I love all other Canadian Cities and proud to be living in Canada
Old October 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #112
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canadian cities and towns belong to all Canadians and we should all care about the prosperity and development of every stitch of our land from sea to sea to sea.

Agreed... when all of our cities prosper, we all benefit! Each of our cities have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, and we should try to discover as many of the strengths that we can!
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #113
Canadian Chocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboi View Post
Frankly I think you lied stating that ,you are jealous and have all hatred toward MTL and it shown from every comment of yours when talking about MTL but that's ok because you don't live here as long as MTL still belongs to Canada I don't think the people that rule this Country would want to see MTL become rotten into pieces , it's in Canada when people around the world talking about this City anyway !
-_- The only other time I ever talk about Montreal is when I talk about the Impact. Of course I'm going to dislike the Impact, they knocked out my team in the national championship. You need to take a chill pill, n'est-ce pas?

1 2 3
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #114
Habfanman
BANNED

When I first moved here in 2006, I stayed with friends on Av. du Parc in Mile-End while I looked for an apartment. Mile-End is not an official arrondissment or quartier but a name given to the area from Av. du Parc to St-Laurent in the early 19th century. At the time, the neighbourhood was located at the end of the city limits, roughly a mile from downtown. Av. du Parc is the dividing line between the trendy Plateau Mont-Royal borough and the beautiful, leafy borough of Outremont. The street is busy, multi-ethnic, and lined with cafés, restos and grocery vendors but as you turn west and head into Outremont, streets such as Laurier, Fairmount and Bernard transition nicely into the residential areas of Outremont. Whoever designed the street pattern did a good job. There are only 4 or 5 access streets to Outremont but once you go one block west, the pattern divides into much smaller blocks. The ethnic mix has changed many times over the years but remnants of the Greek, Italian, Portugeuse and Armenian communities remain and it is home to the city's Hassidic Jewish community.

Avenue du Parc

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #115
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Wow, a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables sold just about on every corner, which is in complete opposition to the usual stereotype that fresh produce in NA usually means plastic supermarket fruit and vegetables.
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #116
skyboi
BANNED

I could never get enough looking at old houses in MTL eventhough I still live here ...they are so beautiful , you can virtually see them on every street in the City , Av du parc has quite alot of them , not to mention from the dividing line from this street on the Outremont side leading to the Mountain... to Westmout , walking in those neighbourhoods , you though you are in some European Country ,classic beautiful houses that will never go out of fashion , HFM if you got any of them please share with us !
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #117
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
Wow, a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables sold just about on every corner, which is in complete opposition to the usual stereotype that fresh produce in NA usually means plastic supermarket fruit and vegetables.
Yeah there are heaps of little groceries, bakeries, butchers in the neighbourhoods. People here seem to take them for granted. I still go to the supermarket to buy dry goods but I buy fruit/veg and bread/cheese from the stores on my street. There is also a network of 4 big public markets (Jean-Talon.. WOW!) and 14 little 'marchés de quartier', but the little ones close from nov-mar.
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #118
isaidso
the new republic

Nice to see Mile End. I lived at Park and Laurier. Is Fairmount Bagel still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
In Canada, it is the suburbs and rural areas which fit that North American stereotype. I can't speak for all of Canada, but the City of Toronto is the same as Montreal. There are independent fruit and veggie stands all over the place.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #119
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nice to see Mile End. I lived at Park and Laurier. Is Fairmount Bagel still there?
Still there isaidso. They'll be celebrating their 90th anniversary; 60th at that location, in 2009. St Viateur Bagel is still lined up 24hrs as well. This is making me hungry!

Nice job on the Halifax thread. Looking forward to the next batch!
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #120
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboi View Post
I could never get enough looking at old houses in MTL eventhough I still live here ...they are so beautiful , you can virtually see them on every street in the City , Av du parc has quite alot of them , not to mention from the dividing line from this street on the Outremont side leading to the Mountain... to Westmout , walking in those neighbourhoods , you though you are in some European Country ,classic beautiful houses that will never go out of fashion , HFM if you got any of them please share with us !
I've never been to Westmount skyboi, only popped up to Westmount Square from the metro. I do have a few of Outremont though, but I will post those later.

These are the streets which lead into Outremont from Av du Parc. It's a really nice area that tourists rarely venture into.

Fairmount:

Laurier:

Bernard:

Van Horne: