daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM   #161
Habfanman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

A couple of weekends ago, I finally visited the Jardin botanique. Though I had ridden/walked by many times in the past (it's in my neighbourhood), this was the first time I had actually entered.

The place is huge: a series of 10 public greenhouses and over 30 themed gardens as well as research and educational facillities. If you have any interest in botany beyond aesthetic, it's far much too see in one visit. You can also get a combined pass for Jardin botanique, Biodome, Insectarium, Parc Olympique and soon the new Planetarium, which is relocating from downtown. I wouldn't recommend trying to 'do' them all in one day though, that's a bit too ambitious.

We went to two gardens: first the Japanese and then the Chinese for the annual 'La magie des lanternes' which runs throughout September and October.

Highly recommended, I will nevertheless wait until spring before my next visit as all outdoor areas will soon be turning into snow gardens!

The entrance, from a summer, 'ride by' shooting:

Japanese Garden:

The Chinese Garden and la Magie des lanternes:

Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #162
Habfanman
BANNED

To finish off a previous thread: Outremont

I've gone for a couple of random walks but have yet to penetrate the area around Côte Ste-Catherine and Université de Montréal. It's a pleasant borough with lots of trees and parks. The parks are so plentiful that they seem almost interconnected, and most of them have watery bits. Outremont also has distinctive, green lamposts and oval street signs. I have been meaning to go back to explore further but... time...

Hutchison/Bernard area is home to Montréal's Hasidic population. The men wear long black coats and big hats while the women dress in a conservative, 40's style. There was a religious festival on this day:

As you make your way into the borough, the housing changes from the typical Montréal 'plexe' and old apartment blocks into detached houses. I've heard that there are some real beauties around the university but I've never made it that far.

Late summer:

Mid-fall

Old October 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #163
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

BEAUTIFUL

this city is just great! i love the way those neighborhoods look!
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #164
RETROMANIA
13.03.09.Dulce.Tentación

Likes (Received): 29

Beutiful during the summer!!
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #165
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Habsfanman, I really enjoyed your photos. Promise me that you will do Westmount, the nicest neighborhood in Canada, next. You have such a great eye, so far your shots have been fantastic!!! WOW.
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #166
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Where was that? Sudbury or Montréal? I'm confused.
Montreal.. I actually had that in the original comment but I edited it out for some reason.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #167
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

These neighbourhoods are so nice, it makes me wanna cry!!!

the Hassidic Jews community is interesting though. Are they always dressed like this and do they fit in the society like other communities? They really seem to be very conservative.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #168
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
Thanks Habsfanman, I really enjoyed your photos. Promise me that you will do Westmount, the nicest neighborhood in Canada, next. You have such a great eye, so far your shots have been fantastic!!! WOW.
Thanks Coral. I've never been to Westmount, I've only popped out of Metro Atwater at Westmount Square once. I'm hoping to check it out when I have more time, I hear it's beautiful.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #169
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
These neighbourhoods are so nice, it makes me wanna cry!!!

the Hassidic Jews community is interesting though. Are they always dressed like this and do they fit in the society like other communities? They really seem to be very conservative.
The Hassidim are really interesting Mishevy. You see them in Mile End/Outremont all the time and the women hang out in the parks with the kids, but I never really see them anywhere else in the city.

They seem to coexist peacefully with the rest of the community but there have been little incidents. I heard that a teenage boy was assaulted for no apparent reason a couple of years ago and there was also the 'YMCA aerobics' incident. It seems that the aerobics studio at the Y faces the back alley of a Hassidic boys school. Naturally, the kids tended to hang out there a lot; especially during aerobics classes, which offended the elders' sense of modesty. The YMCA frosted the glass which then offended the women at the Y which led to the unfrosting of the glass and.. that was last year and I'm not sure but I imagine that the alley is once again popular with Hassidic teens!

Last edited by Habfanman; November 7th, 2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #170
Habfanman
BANNED

An August walkabout cut short by rain

A few pics of the area around Palais de Congrès (Convention Centre) and Hôtel de Ville (City Hall) just before it poured!

Old November 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #171
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

Btw Habfanman I don't know exactly when you took those pictures from the Jardin Botanique, but did you see the photo exposition at the entrance?
When I went to the Garden about 2 months ago, there was a really interesting photo exposition at the entrance about different unknown (or less known) animals and the explanation we really interesting

It is funny how in such a small periphery you can find a beautifully kept Botanical Garden, great sports facilities, an old manor (Chateau Dufresne) and Montreal's slums (Hochelaga-Maisonneuve)...
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #172
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Montreal has slums? I'd like to see that!
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #173
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

Well..let's not call it slums...because Montreal is a pretty much crime free city compared to many other cities of its size...but the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve neighborhood together with St-Henri and Montreal-North are considered to be the less privileged parts of the city....
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #174
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

I'm sure Habfanman will treat us with some photos of those districts some day... unless we are stuck with only beautiful parts of Montreal... which I would also be just OK with .
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #175
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_PATRIOT View Post

Well..let's not call it slums...because Montreal is a pretty much crime free city compared to many other cities of its size...but the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve neighborhood together with St-Henri and Montreal-North are considered to be the less privileged parts of the city....
Bah! HoMa isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a poor neighbourhood but it isn't dangerous, and it's becoming increasingly 'hip' to live there as people discover the great parks, public transit, bike lanes, restos and cafés. It's frequently bashed by suburbanites who've never been there and who live in fear of everything. I live next door in Rosemont and I often go to Marché Maisonneuve, Parc Morgan, Parc Maisonneuve etc. I take the métro from Joliette when I have to go to work because the green line goes directly to LaSalle. I'll descend upon it with camera in hand one of these days.

There aren't really any ghettos in Montréal: no boarded-up, burned out, no-go neighbourhoods or places where I'm afraid to walk alone at 4 am.
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #176
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
I'm sure Habfanman will treat us with some photos of those districts some day... unless we are stuck with only beautiful parts of Montreal... which I would also be just OK with .
I took a few of St-Henri Mishevy, they're a few pages back.

I'm stuck for time at the moment as I have mid-terms, my students have mid-terms and the weather hasn't been very cooperative. I only have time to take snapshots of wherever I happen to be. I'll get to everywhere.. sometime!
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #177
Habfanman
BANNED

I was on a smoko at school and took some shots of grafitti behind the bar 'Foufounes Electriques' which is located on Ste-Catherine E next to my uni. Foufounes is an awesome hardcore bar with an excellent terrasse. Every summer there is a 3-day grafitti festival 'Under Pressure' which occurs in the surrounding alleys. Submissions are taken from the Northeastern U.S. and Canada and 100 are chosen and given a section of wall. There are DJ's, breakers and skaters who perform while the artists create their works. All of these will be painted over during Under Pressure 09 but in the meantime, people who are looking to have a mural painted for their house or business can contact the artist of their choice.

Here's an example of a commissioned ad for the renowned hatmaker Henri-Henri. It was painted by a participant of a previous Under Pressure:

Old November 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #178
Habfanman
BANNED

Cité Multimédia-Thursday night

Formerly le Faubourg des Récollets, I've wanted to photograph this quartier since a daytime walk-through this summer. It's an über-cool mixture of 19th and 20th century industrial and 21st century high-tech. Hardly anyone lived here 10 years ago but the population is now close to 8,000 and growing rapidly.

I divided my tour into 2 parts: the northeast section bordering Quartier International and Old Montréal on Thursday and the southwest section bordering Bonaventure Expressway and Lachine Canal on Friday.

Brief history from Christopher DeWolf's excellent blog 'Urban Photo':

http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/2007/...hitecture-no6/

Once woodland to the west of Old Montréal at the base of the hill leading to Montréal’s modern city centre, the Faubourg des Récollets has evolved several times over its history. The western gate of Old Montréal was in fact the Porte des Récollets located at Notre-Dame and McGill streets. Griffintown, was located south of des Récollets between rue William and the canal. The lower lying Griffintown often flooded before the construction of the Canal Lachine (1821-1825). During Montréal’s industrial revolution in the second half of the 19th century, the mainly Irish residents of Griffintown moved out of the sector as it was taken over by manufacturing and warehouses in proximity to the new Canal.

Up until the 1930’s Depression, the Faubouge des Récollets – Griffintown was the site of many manufacturers, foundries, warehouses, wholesalers, retailers and a few residents. From the Depression on, the area began its decline. In 1933, CN constructed the elevated railway link into the new Central Station (1938-1943). This ‘split’ the Faubourg des Récollets (east) from Griffintown (west). After the St-Lawrence seaway opened in 1950, the Canal Lachine slowly declined to finally close in 1968. The canal reopened for recreational use in 2002. Another contributor to ongoing decline of the area was the addition of the Autoroute Bonaventure in 1965 and later the Autoroute Ville-Marie to the north.

Since the mid-nineties, Montréal’s southern gate has experienced a renaissance starting with the dot-com boom resulting in the conversion of many of the old industrial spaces into lofts, studios and offices for high-tech companies. The Ville de Montréal created the Cité du multimédia (www.citemultimedia.com) in 1998 to encourage the regeneration of the neighbourhood where new buildings were also added to attract more information technology and multimedia firms.

In case you were wondering, Les Récollets were French missionaries arriving in New France around 1615. After the British Conquest of 1759 (Québec City) and 1760 (Montréal), the order was prohibited from recruiting and it disappeared by 1813. ‘Les Récollets’ are now known as the Franciscan Order, who are followers of Saint Francis of Assisi and choose to live in poverty. Their convent, cloister and garden were destroyed in 1818 and the church in 1867 to make room for warehouses during the industrial revolution.

I began at this amazing square which features tall, white-tipped grass and a raised, circular deck. I was surprised to find that the entire square is lit by a series of surrounding coloured lamps. The lamps change colour in continuous random sequence casting a glow over the entire square. Cool! The circular deck was built to commemorate a windmill which occupied the site in the 18th century.

I had to run back to my car for a sec... buahahahaha!

As I'd downed a couple of Blanche de Cambly's along the way, I decided to leave the Ferrari and take the métro home instead!

Métro Place Victoria:

More later..
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #179
Habfanman
BANNED

Cité Multimédia-Friday night

I returned Friday night to shoot the south and western part of the quartier. I began at yet another unusual park.

At first, it seemed like any other little park with people in the dog-walk area but then I noticed the billboards. They aren't billboards per se but screens, and instead of ads they have photos of the river, trees etc. Cool!

The eyesore in the background is the Bonaventure Expressway which is being levelled next year and turned into a boulevard. This will allow for further expansion of C-M and reconnection to neighbouring Griffintown. The two quartiers were separated by 60's freeway expansion.

This little bridge goes over the Lachine Canal and is where the bike lanes go off street and through the park in Vieux-Port or along the canal in the other direction. The hulking structure in the background is Silo No. 5 which is being transformed into exhibition space by Musée des Beaux-Arts.

I had to forgo further exploration as the rain became a little more persistent. I headed for the métro at Square Victoria and passed my Thursday night starting point:

This place is interesting. It's a courtyard terrasse located in a gutted building.

The lighting and street furniture in both Cité Multimédia and Quartier International is designed by Michel Dallaire. He also designed the bicycles and docking stations for BIXI, the city's new public bike share system. Ville Marie will be using his designs for new downtown fixtures.

We've now arrived at métro Square Victoria. Next I will take a brief walk through a section of RÉSO, the world's largest underground network. I hope you enjoyed the walk around Cité Multimédia!

Last edited by Habfanman; November 9th, 2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #180
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244742

Jardin botanique pics are very nice
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote