daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What continent has the best skylines?
Asia 136 40.12%
Europe 40 11.80%
Africa 6 1.77%
Oceania 21 6.19%
North America 129 38.05%
South America 7 2.06%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #221
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K14N View Post
No, not the whole continent actually. I know America is a continent, but what I refer to is the American people, US citizens. Sorry if that's not clear. I don't know if there are Canadians also made other arrogants statements, but it's clear that there is an American who always make rude statements about Asia (by reading this thread, I'm sure you know whom I'm talking about)

I realize that this guy's statement doesn't represent all American people's opinion, but his statement is very disturbing.

I do believe that USA has great skylines, but that's not a reason for anyone to look down or insult others, and being too proud about themselves.
Im just stating the facts against your accusations You are another that needs to get out of the house. I wasnt insulting at first but when you start post hundreds of pictures of asian cities ill start post pictures of my city. Its my opinion on how your skyline stacks up to us.
And arent you proud in a negative way by posting how many supertalls you are getting(you know who im talking about). Talk about US citizen but my family has lived in this great country for generations. I dont understand how my statements are disturbing. You havent even heard of disturbing statements if you think mines are disturbing. Disturbing? do you actually mean disturbing because i dont think you are using that word correctly. I dont have negative pride im just stating that NA skylines are much better.

Last edited by CityPolice; November 4th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
CityPolice no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #222
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
A message to everybody: Please, please don't base your judgment of a country on single individuals. I'm personally ashamed of these comments that are just a museum for ignorance and arrogance, two things that can't go together. There are bad apples everywhere, unfortunately, in industrialized countries (= internet everywhere), the bad apples can make a lot of noise. One bad thing of internet....

For CityPolice
Comments like yours make me ashamed of being a us citizen. A few corrections:
1) Car? Please don't tell me you are referring to Ford, because inventing a way to assemble the car doesn't mean he invented it. Cars were used far before him in Europe, but only by rich people, due to the way they were built. Just because Ford changed that, doesn't mean he invented it...

2) Radio? Never herd of Marconi did you....

3) Phone? Never herd of Antonio Meucci eather apparently... (Bell was the first one to PATENT the phone. Very different from inventing...)

4) Computer: you can't "give" the invention of computer to a single person, let alone a nation....

5) mp3 player, CD, DVD are all "community" inventions, with ideas coming from America, Europe and Asia (Japan).

Just look up this stuff on internet if you are a stranger to books. So you might learn something and not make a fool of yourself and ashame all of us....
If you think my what i said made you ashamed that means you need to get out more because there are over 300,000,000 people in this country and they are all from different walks of life So there are so many different opinions. That guy with the picture of a little boy. You should of saw what he posted in another thread i was in. Antonio Lived in NYC, USA. Yes the comp is ours

Last edited by CityPolice; November 4th, 2008 at 01:56 PM.
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #223
MDguy

I Think Asia Will take the crown anywhere between 10-30 years! There's Just so many and they are starting to actually look distinctive! That's what makes a great skyline, distinction (imo), and I think Asia is creating a lot of that (in their cores, im not a fan of miles of commies), so they will have the best overall skylines very soon!
MDguy está en línea ahora  
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #224
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Why we think that is because it is true. Besides any of the major buildings all the other ones look like crud also your living standards are poor compared to us.

You should always have respect for americans because we created the base for many achievements. we created the tv, car, subway, media, radio, phone, computer, video games, skyscraper, mp3 player, CD, DVD, video cassette, etc
This is beyond laughable as America invented only 1-2 of those, haha. The televsion was not invented by an American, it was invented by a Scottish man, and first shown in London in 1926.

The car, invented in Germany. Google Karl Benz.

The Subway- Actually the first one is in Budapest, and I have ridden it.

Media? No single person invented media. Besides, the first media could be the newspaper, and those were in distribution long before any Europeans touched land in America.

Radio? Marconi, not American.

The phone? Actually invented by an Italian, Meucci.

American did not invent the computer by itself, it was a conglomeration of people from around the world in different reincarnations.

Video games? Wow, congrats, you finally got one.

Skyscraper, bravo, that's two.

Mp3 player- actually invented by the Germans.

CD- was a collaberation between Sony and Phillips

DVD- invented by Toshiba, no America there.

Video Cassette? Nope, too young for the Beta Max wars I guess.

etc? what ecetera? What else were you going to claim as American inventions that weren't?

Ashamed now, you better check yourself son. That's what Google( an American invention) is for.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #225
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
T

The phone? Actually invented by an Italian, Meucci.
Meucci was an Italian-American. And the invention of the radio also credited to Tesla.

That being said, I am more fond of North American skylines.
El Mariachi no está en línea  

Closed Thread