daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What continent has the best skylines?
Asia 136 40.12%
Europe 40 11.80%
Africa 6 1.77%
Oceania 21 6.19%
North America 129 38.05%
South America 7 2.06%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 14th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #101
Naija

Likes (Received): 2

U gotta go with Asia man simply because we are talking of an entire continent. THe only thing North America has got going is USA which really in truth doesnt have that many impressive skyscrpaers...Just look at Tokyo, Hongkong, Shanghai, etc...massive impressive skylines
Naija no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #102
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1374

I'll say the Asian continent has the best skylines with N. America being a close second.
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #103
KB335ci2
MH01/KA12

Likes (Received): 4790

For sheer building density, and variety, coupled with modernity, it's Asia. Hands down!
KB335ci2 no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #104
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

I wanted to vote for Antarctica... Gooo penguins!!

Seriously though, Asia by far. Hong Kong and Shanghai already have some of the world's top 5, and add in Tokyo, Dubai, and a throng of other cities, you just cannot compete.
Epi no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #105
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10795

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD View Post
Depends on how the world changes... perhaps in the future world economy resource laden Oceania will fare a lot better than Europe (excluding Russia) which will mean we will keep our skyline edge

That said even in reality it will take a while for some these cities, as prominent as they are, to catch Sydney and Melbourne or even Brisbane and Gold Coast. There are other factors such as public opposition to height in European cities.

You're underestimating the size of Europe. This is a continent with 23 times the population of Oceania. Even if Oceania develops 5 times faster on a per capita basis, Europe will probably build 4 times as many structures. Europe has arguably already caught up in just 20 years of building from fairly non-existent skylines everywhere.

You also can't exclude Europe's largest country because it doesn't fit your assertion. Russia is in Europe and this is a continent to continent comparison. Moscow is probably building more skyscapers than all of Oceania over the next 10 years. That's one city.

You may love Oceania, but you're letting it cloud your judgement. Oceania stacks up well, but to argue that it will keep up is wishful thinking. It's simply not mathematically possible. The poll seems to agree. Oceania may have had the edge up until now, but it is already being surpassed by Europe by this yardstick. That shouldn't take away from the fact that there area great skylines in Oceania. Europe's just a way bigger place. What is amazing is that it was even a close race.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 14th, 2008 at 02:32 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #106
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

I disagree. North American skylines have much more of a distinct variety in their skylines. A better contrast between old and new. Many Asian skyline have cookie cutter buildings. bigger is not always better. Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei and Shanghai are definitely the most identifiable.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #107
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"I don't want to single you out because I hear this sort of argument all the time from fellow westerners. People in North America, Europe, and Oceania need to stop being so arrogant.

We build cities that speak to our culture and sensibilities. People from places like the Middle East or Far East are going to build cities that speak to theirs. Our way isn't the only way to build a city. Instead of being condescending and insulting, we should be thankful that they've chosen to do things their own way. It's refreshing and should be commended whether their design aesthetic appeals to us or not."

I agree but am very upset with how fast China is demolishing its ancient urban quarters.
Preservation is something that Asia lacks. I judge cities as if they were architectural timelines and I like to see the evolution right before me. China is very old but from a first glance it seems brand new.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #108
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

I tend to agree. Something I love about North America's best cities (Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, New York, etc) is that they're very much a patchwork of old and new. Sometimes new replaces old, and sometimes old buildings pepper a sea of newer ones. European cities have this too, but they tend to have historic districts separate from new skyscraper developments and such, which is also cool, but feels entirely different.
canadave87 no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #109
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10795

I prefer North American skylines too, but a significant factor is cultural bias. If you grew up in the Far East or the Middle East, your instinctual reaction to the North American design aesthetic is to view it as foreign and one that doesn't really speak to you.

It is only natural that North Americans are going to prefer North American design and Asians are going to prefer Asian design. We just need to recognize that some of our observations are valid, but a great deal of it is simply cultural bias. It's very difficult to be objective.

I also agree that the Far East and Middle East are making some of the same mistakes we made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We demolished the old in favour of the new with little consideration for historical value or architectural preservation. People there will come to see the importance of maintaining a link to their past, and hopefully, some of it will still remain when they've accumulated enough political power to make a difference.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #110
mhek

Likes (Received): 579

asia
mhek no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #111
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

I dont know why people keep saying tokyo. The japanese geography is different than Americas. If you just say tokyo it comprises of different cities so than i dont know whether you can actually race them. Anyway the top two cities with the most high rises are New York with nearly 6000 and Hong Kong with over 7000. Buildings in asia are not versatile.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #112
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

north amaerica has evreything from old to new thats what i like all asia has is new glassy tall buildings

heres what N/A has to offer

charmedone no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #113
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

Shanghai, 4000 skyscrapers over 400ft and counting:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #114
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Tokyo, worlds largest city, worlds largest buildings (per average floorspace)

SCROLL

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #115
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Hong Kong, densest place on earth:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

www.wikipedia.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #116
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

the world's second largest city (pop. 26 million CSA)

SEOUL:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #117
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Shenzhen, worlds fastest grown city (from 30,000 to 3 million in a decade, then from that to 14 million in the next):

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #118
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Chongqing, worlds fastest growing city (1 million a year),
over 100 towers over 600ft planned or u/c, including 20 supertalls:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 19th, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #119
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Kuala Lumpar

, Singapore, Nanjing, Tianjin, Chengdu, Bangkok, Dubai, Doha, Taipei too

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 19th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #120
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Singapore

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 19th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.

Closed Thread