daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: The worst Olympic Stadium ever?
1896 Athens 3 1.02%
1900 Paris 5 1.69%
1904 St. Louis 48 16.27%
1908 London 0 0%
1912 Stockholm 1 0.34%
1920 Antwerp 3 1.02%
1924 Paris 3 1.02%
1928 Amsterdam 2 0.68%
1932 L.A. 1 0.34%
1936 Berlin 3 1.02%
1948 London 2 0.68%
1952 Helsink 5 1.69%
1956 Melbourne 5 1.69%
1960 Rome 2 0.68%
1964 Tokyo 5 1.69%
1968 Mexico 11 3.73%
1972 Munich 1 0.34%
1976 Montreal 11 3.73%
1980 Moscow 17 5.76%
1984 L.A. 8 2.71%
1988 Seoul 6 2.03%
1992 Bercelona 14 4.75%
1996 Atlanta 105 35.59%
2000 Sydney 6 2.03%
2004 Athens 16 5.42%
2008 Beijing 12 4.07%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #101
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
What's your problem, Knitemplar?

You're offended because your great memory stadium Atlanta was recognized as the worst in olympic history.
That was my feeling (from TV) watching the 1996 games.

I visited the Olympic stadiums in my home country, esp. Munich impressed me very much. Walking under the tent roof was a special feeling. This is great architecture.

Berlin Olympic Stadium is 60 years older but ways better, especially in the shape for the 2006 World Cup.
In case you missed it the FIRST TIME, and I'll say it again...Atlanta's Olympic Stadium was NOT meant to last as a T&F stadium. Let me spell it for you.

I-t-s a-f-t-e-r-l-i-f-e w-a-s i-n-t-e-n-d-e-d t-o b-e a v-e-r-y w-e-l-l -u-s-e-d b-a-s-e-b-a-l-l f-i-e-l-d.

I-t-s g-o-o-d e-n-u-f f-o-r t-h-e p-e-o-p-l-e o-f A-t-l-a-n-t-a, i-t s-h-o-u-l-d b-e g-o-o-d e-n-u-f 4 u. If not, who cares what you think? Absolutely puerile and trashy anyway.
Knitemplar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #102
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
In case you missed it the FIRST TIME, and I'll say it again...Atlanta's Olympic Stadium was NOT meant to last as a T&F stadium. Let me spell it for you.

I-t-s a-f-t-e-r-l-i-f-e w-a-s i-n-t-e-n-d-e-d t-o b-e a v-e-r-y w-e-l-l -u-s-e-d b-a-s-e-b-a-l-l f-i-e-l-d.

I-t-s g-o-o-d e-n-u-f f-o-r t-h-e p-e-o-p-l-e o-f A-t-l-a-n-t-a, i-t s-h-o-u-l-d b-e g-o-o-d e-n-u-f 4 u. If not, who cares what you think? Absolutely puerile and trashy anyway.

O.k, Baseball fields are no perfect Olympic Stadiums, is this the message?
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #103
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile

Likes (Received): 206

BTW, if the Atlanta stadium was built soley for track & field, and not as a future baseball park, there still wouldn't be a roof over it. It's just the American way.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #104
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Again, I'd like to hear what the fundamental design flaw in Atlanta's stadium was? What wasn't there that should have been? What was there that shouldn't have been? How might these have been remedied while still enabling its conversion into a baseball stadium afterwords? How much additional money would it have taken to enact these remedies and where would the money have come from? Remember that the Atlanta stadium was built with private funds with $170 million coming from Ted Turner alone.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #105
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Again, I'd like to hear what the fundamental design flaw in Atlanta's stadium was? What wasn't there that should have been? What was there that shouldn't have been? How might these have been remedied while still enabling its conversion into a baseball stadium afterwords? How much additional money would it have taken to enact these remedies and where would the money have come from? Remember that the Atlanta stadium was built with private funds with $170 million coming from Ted Turner alone.
There's NOTHING wrong with it. Olympian minds here who cannot think that maybe a stadium can be used in more than one way are the problem. They have a very limited way of thnking: a stadium MUST BE BUILT ONLY ONE WAY!! IT CANNOT BE ALTERED. IT MUST'VE BEEN BUILT FOR THE 2 WEEKS OF GLORIOUS OLYMPIC GLORY and NO OTHER WAY!! THAT IS ALL OUR BRAINS AND CONCEPTION CAN FATHOM. HOW DARE THE AMERICANS THINK ANOTHER WAY!!

IT BREAKS THE SYMMETRY OF OUR LISTS!!

Well, it's about bloody time I say!! Your next European Olympic Stadium, London, is going to be one vastly reduced structure come January 2013.
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #106
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

One difference with Atlanta's is, like people have been saying, it wasn't built as a permanent structure.

This sets it apart in a different sort of way. Most Olympic stadiums are built so that after the olympics, they can be looked at as a symbol of it, and many times as the National Stadium. This wasn't Atlanta's attempt to create a national icon, it was built specifically for the games, and the games only - the oval at least, I mean. If they had kept it in oval form and used it for football for forty years afterwards, yeah, I'd say it's a bit of an eyesore for being such an iconic place. But it's not. It's temporary, so it shouldn't be counted the same way that all of these other dazzling place are.

If you're looking for lasting beauty, certainly, it wasn't there with most of that stage of Turner Field. They didn't try to pass it off for more than it was - it was there for people to sit in, not marvel at, and wasn't a character of the ceremony.

That's why I voted for Montreal. It's a white elephant, still there, still being ugly, and right now sitting very empty.
Scba no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #107
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post

I see, you've learned from the europeans:

Silverdome Detroit, used as a venue in Football World Cup 1994, built in the 70s:

ok, it has a permanent roof and not a retractable roof...
Patrick está en línea ahora  
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #108
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Silverdome Detroit, used as a venue in Football World Cup 1994, built in the 70s:

ok, it has a permanent roof and not a retractable roof...
he's not getting at the roof...he's getting at the moveable field which can slide in and out of the stadium.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #109
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

where did he mention that? i just see the word "roof" in plural form in his posting

btw: it's also personal taste. of course, spectators are protected under an all-roofed stadium. but it is also great if you have a sunny day, and no roof above you, or a real fight game in rain and for my personal taste, a hall or wannabe-hall like Arena AufSchalke (sounds negative, but the Arena itself is great) is just not suited for football games. Or track and field competitions, to get back to the main topic: Olympia.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #110
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I'd guess most peoples problems were....

1.Ugly stadium during the games.
2.Its post games use was obvious which detracted from the importance of the games themselves.
3.No legacy for track and field.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #111
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

I may have to nominate the Centennial Olympic Stadium as the worst Olympic stadium ever. I would also have to nominate two of London's Olympic stadium because they're dead.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #112
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I'd guess most peoples problems were....

1.Ugly stadium during the games.
2.Its post games use was obvious which detracted from the importance of the games themselves.
3.No legacy for track and field.
So, in essence, everybody's gripes are that it wasn't a huge white elephant because to remedy those complaints it would have had to be since Atlanta saw no need to make the temporary portion pretty, already had a new football stadium and didn't need the new track and field.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #113
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile

Likes (Received): 206

Out of curiosity, how far is Turner Field from the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) campus?
Bigmac1212 no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #114
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Quote:
where did he mention that? i just see the word "roof" in plural form in his posting

btw: it's also personal taste. of course, spectators are protected under an all-roofed stadium. but it is also great if you have a sunny day, and no roof above you, or a real fight game in rain and for my personal taste, a hall or wannabe-hall like Arena AufSchalke (sounds negative, but the Arena itself is great) is just not suited for football games. Or track and field competitions, to get back to the main topic: Olympia.

Bitte jetzt keine neue Diskussion darüber, ob die Arena AufSchalke für Fussball geeignet ist oder nicht! Dass dieser Anstoss von einem FC-Fan kam, war auch zu erwarten! Die Argumente sind ausgelutscht, mittlerweile haben hier fast 200 Fussballspiel vor gut 10-11 Mill. Zuschauern stattgefunden, ich denke, dadurch ist der Beweis erbracht.

Du meinst doch nicht wirklich, dieses Stadion in Detroit mit der Arena vergleichen zu können.
Außerdem habe ich das Bild nur gespostet, weil es im Zusammenhang mit dem neuen Stadion in Phoenix absolut passte, die Technik, die man dort wohl als besonders anpreist, hat man bei uns bereits schon von den Niederländern adaptiert und in weiterentwickelter Form in diesem Stadionneubau verwendet.

Dazu fand ich das wüstenhafte Umfeld in Phoenix sehr krass, das doch grüne Umfeld der Arena AufSchalke war da ein klarer Gegensatz.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #115
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

wollt ich auch gar nicht, daher letzte wiederholende worte: ist halt persönlicher geschmack, die arena hat einfach für meinen geschmack zu viel dach. ende

btw: i also voted for st. louis stadium.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #116
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Quote:
die arena hat einfach für meinen geschmack zu viel dach. ende
Ich kanns nicht ändern, du auch nicht, und wenn Schalke heute bauen würde, hätten sie mit Sicherheit auf das Dach verzichtet und statt dessen auf mehr Kapazität gesetzt.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #117
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

English please.
Anberlin no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #118
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

atlanta was like a lego stadium made by some 10 year old
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #119
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

@GE: of course not, but I may have my opinion and it is not forbidden to talk about it
but let's close this discussion now.

judging by the pics, from the "recent" olympic stadiums I also find Atlanta's very bad. But before americans call me a basher: I really like LA Coliseum.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #120
MTF

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
@GE: of course not, but I may have my opinion and it is not forbidden to talk about it
but let's close this discussion now.

judging by the pics, from the newer stadiums I also find Atlanta's very bad. But before americans call me a basher: I really like LA Coliseum.
+1
how did they made a stadium that huge in 1932 is pretty impressive.
MTF no está en línea  

Closed Thread