daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: The worst Olympic Stadium ever?
1896 Athens 3 1.02%
1900 Paris 5 1.69%
1904 St. Louis 48 16.27%
1908 London 0 0%
1912 Stockholm 1 0.34%
1920 Antwerp 3 1.02%
1924 Paris 3 1.02%
1928 Amsterdam 2 0.68%
1932 L.A. 1 0.34%
1936 Berlin 3 1.02%
1948 London 2 0.68%
1952 Helsink 5 1.69%
1956 Melbourne 5 1.69%
1960 Rome 2 0.68%
1964 Tokyo 5 1.69%
1968 Mexico 11 3.73%
1972 Munich 1 0.34%
1976 Montreal 11 3.73%
1980 Moscow 17 5.76%
1984 L.A. 8 2.71%
1988 Seoul 6 2.03%
1992 Bercelona 14 4.75%
1996 Atlanta 105 35.59%
2000 Sydney 6 2.03%
2004 Athens 16 5.42%
2008 Beijing 12 4.07%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #121
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ
 
LEAFS FANATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto and Athens
Posts: 3,735
Likes (Received): 1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF View Post
+1
how did they made a stadium that huge in 1932 is pretty impressive.
What's teh big deal? Have you seen the Colloseum in Rome? Or the ancient theatres in Greece? These things seated 50,000 and they were built 2,000 years ago...
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #122
MTF
Registered User
 
MTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,778
Likes (Received): 203

I am not comparing anything over here to me its impressive.
MTF no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #123
south
always lost
 
south's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 東京
Posts: 529
Likes (Received): 2

I've always thought the MCG in Melbourne (1956) was one of the worst Olympic Stadiums, and i say that as someone who grew up in Melbourne. I mean, they didn't even try -- the stadium is an uneven mishmash of different stands, only one small one was constructed for the Olympics, and even that was pretty ordinary. the large (covered) stand looks like a tin shed. Nothing like the iconic stadiums that came before and after it (LA, Berlin, Rome etc).

here's the 1956 shot:




it's still a stadium today (and has been since 1853) but none of the Olympic-era structures still exist... which should be an indication of how loved they were. Here's what it looks like now:




Dishonorable mention must also go to Montreal in 1976: although the design itself is tres cool, mega point loss for not being completed at the time of the Olympics, and for the many engineering flaws it suffered then and since.
__________________
.
mmm skyscraper i love you

Last edited by south; September 10th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
south no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #124
Demetrius
The Besieger
 
Demetrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kifissia
Posts: 516
Likes (Received): 313

ATLANTA! hands down.
In fact their stadium was the high peak of a completely wasted and distorted centenial for the modern Olympics.
Pierre De Coubertin must 've been rolling in his grave ever since the money-mongers they call themselves the IOC decided, on that day of infamy in 1990, to award the centenial games to (an otherwise lovely) dixie redneck US City, home of (what a coincidence) Coca Cola and CNN, among other respected institutions of human culture! Kudos to them!
(Athens, of course who was rightfully preparing herself to celebrate the Olympic centenial, took a lesson or two and, after the proper "sponsoring", got compensated with the 2004 games, alas the "magic" of the centenial had forever been wasted!)
Anybody in US, or anywhere else in that matter, that cannot comprehend what a waste and setback the 1996 games had been for the so called "Olympic movement", is uneducated.
I'm done with this thread. Bye.
__________________
Another Athens shall arise
And to remoter time
Bequeath, like sunset to the skies,
The splendour of its prime;
And leave, if nought so bright may live,
All earth can take or Heaven can give.


Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Hellas"
Demetrius no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #125
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,760
Likes (Received): 10293

Yeh goodbye. I quite enjoyed the 1996 Olympics; it might not have been the prettiest Games but it was nowhere near as bad as you make out. You had your Games in the end, but from everything I've read there's no way your city would have been ready by '96. You only just managed '04 in time! So stop whinging.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #126
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile
 
Bigmac1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sun Devil Country
Posts: 995
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
ATLANTA! hands down.
In fact their stadium was the high peak of a completely wasted and distorted centenial for the modern Olympics.
Pierre De Coubertin must 've been rolling in his grave ever since the money-mongers they call themselves the IOC decided, on that day of infamy in 1990, to award the centenial games to (an otherwise lovely) dixie redneck US City, home of (what a coincidence) Coca Cola and CNN, among other respected institutions of human culture! Kudos to them!
(Athens, of course who was rightfully preparing herself to celebrate the Olympic centenial, took a lesson or two and, after the proper "sponsoring", got compensated with the 2004 games, alas the "magic" of the centenial had forever been wasted!)
Anybody in US, or anywhere else in that matter, that cannot comprehend what a waste and setback the 1996 games had been for the so called "Olympic movement", is uneducated.
I'm done with this thread. Bye.
Well, the only thing we learned from your post is you are the uneducated person around here.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #127
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Yeh goodbye. I quite enjoyed the 1996 Olympics; it might not have been the prettiest Games but it was nowhere near as bad as you make out. You had your Games in the end, but from everything I've read there's no way your city would have been ready by '96. You only just managed '04 in time! So stop whinging.
And the fact that the EU paid for half the event through all of the subsidies that the poorer EU nations get. The whole of Europe paid for that party in Athens...
mavn no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #128
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
ATLANTA! hands down.
In fact their stadium was the high peak of a completely wasted and distorted centenial for the modern Olympics.
Pierre De Coubertin must 've been rolling in his grave ever since the money-mongers they call themselves the IOC decided, on that day of infamy in 1990, to award the centenial games to (an otherwise lovely) dixie redneck US City, home of (what a coincidence) Coca Cola and CNN, among other respected institutions of human culture! Kudos to them!
(Athens, of course who was rightfully preparing herself to celebrate the Olympic centenial, took a lesson or two and, after the proper "sponsoring", got compensated with the 2004 games, alas the "magic" of the centenial had forever been wasted!)
Anybody in US, or anywhere else in that matter, that cannot comprehend what a waste and setback the 1996 games had been for the so called "Olympic movement", is uneducated.
I'm done with this thread. Bye.
sorry, but i cant take anyone from athens who complains about atlanta seriously.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #129
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ
 
LEAFS FANATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto and Athens
Posts: 3,735
Likes (Received): 1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
sorry, but i cant take anyone from athens who complains about atlanta seriously.
Ok...take it from someone who lives in Toronto.

The Atlanta Olympics and main stadium sucked. No Olympic spirit whatsoever. It was all about the mighty American dollar, Coca Cola, CNN, etc. Also, there was a terrorist attack that left one person dead. If this had happened in Sydney, Athens, or Beijing, the American media would have had a ******* field day. Not suprisingly though, Americans remain eerily quiet about their "mishap".

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words:

[IMG]http://s4.************/x2rjv5.jpg[/IMG]


vs.





No further comment.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #130
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Gunnerjacket do you like to argue? You must cause that's all this stupid thread is. One big ass argument that's never going to be settled. Everyone has their own opinion. I should make a poll where we vote on the worst thread ever. In MY opinion this should take the cake
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #131
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
3.No legacy for track and field.
At least it has a legacy.
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #132
masterpaul
(Nilaul)
 
masterpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,710
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post
Ok...take it from someone who lives in Toronto.

The Atlanta Olympics and main stadium sucked. No Olympic spirit whatsoever. It was all about the mighty American dollar, Coca Cola, CNN, etc. Also, there was a terrorist attack that left one person dead. If this had happened in Sydney, Athens, or Beijing, the American media would have had a ******* field day. Not suprisingly though, Americans remain eerily quiet about their "mishap".

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words:

[IMG]http://s4.************/x2rjv5.jpg[/IMG]



vs.





No further comment.
Actually during the olimpics in athens there were 2 terorist attacks on 2 school buses (or 1 terrorist and 1 accident or 2 accidents) where a lot of kids died. That's why the or para Olympic closing ceremony was cut short (they taken the spectacle part to honor the children)
__________________

Last edited by masterpaul; September 10th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.
masterpaul no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #133
savas
head up funny boy
 
savas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,571
Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Actually during the olimpics in athens there were 2 tourorists attacks on 2 school busses (or 1 terrorist and 1 accident) where a lot of kids died. Thats why the olimpic (or para olimpic) closing ceromony was cut short (they taken the spectatcle part to honour the children)
Please? There was only one traffic accident during the Paralympics and this had nothing to do with terrorism!!!! Also the ATHOC decided to cancel the artistic part of the closing Ceremony of the Paralympic Games as a sign of respect to the sorrow of the families.

I dont know where do you got those "infos" about 2 "tourorists attacks" masterpaul!
__________________
Και πρώτα απ'όλα τι εννοούμε λέγοντας παιδεία; Την πληροφορία, την τεχνική, το δίπλωμα εξειδίκευσης που εξασφαλίζει γάμο, αυτοκίνητο κι ακίνητο,
με πληρωμή την πλήρη υποταγή του εξασφαλισθέντος ή την πνευματική και ψυχική διάπλαση ενός ελεύθερου ανθρώπου, με τεχνική αναθεώρησης κι ονειρικής δομής,
με αγωνία απελευθέρωσης και με διαθέσεις μιας ιπτάμενης φυγής προς τ'άστρα; M.X.
savas no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #134
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile
 
Bigmac1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sun Devil Country
Posts: 995
Likes (Received): 206

So, everybody's bashing about the Atlanta Olympics, but will these guys have the guts to tell us Yankees with how we should of made the '96 games better?
Bigmac1212 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #135
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2


They could have......

- Picked a better host city (Chicago, New York, Boston, San-Francisco/Oakland, Washington/Baltimore, etc..... would all be better picks)
- Made a better Olympic stadium which wasn't just an obvious baseball stadium waiting to be torn down the day after the flame went out
- Cut down on the commercialism, which during the games was drilled down the throat of every visiter/viewer. There is a reason the Atlanta games have been coined the "Coca-Cola Games". I understand sponsorships are profitable for the IOC as well as the host city, and they are fundemental for the success of any Olympics, but Atlanta went a slight bit too far.
Zorba no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #136
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by savas View Post
Please? There was only one traffic accident during the Paralympics and this had nothing to do with terrorism!!!! Also the ATHOC decided to cancel the artistic part of the closing Ceremony of the Paralympic Games as a sign of respect to the sorrow of the families.

I dont know where do you got those "infos" about 2 "tourorists attacks" masterpaul!
Read all three volumes. And accept defeat. http://olympic-museum.de/o-reports/report1996.htm
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #137
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

They could have......

- Picked a better host city (Chicago, New York, Boston, San-Francisco/Oakland, Washington/Baltimore, etc..... would all be better picks)
- Made a better Olympic stadium which wasn't just an obvious baseball stadium waiting to be torn down the day after the flame went out
- Cut down on the commercialism, which during the games was drilled down the throat of every visiter/viewer. There is a reason the Atlanta games have been coined the "Coca-Cola Games". I understand sponsorships are profitable for the IOC as well as the host city, and they are fundemental for the success of any Olympics, but Atlanta went a slight bit too far.
It was the first olympics in history to profit from ticket sales, commercialism, and merchandise alone. And guess what the city is not in debt because of it. Unlike Athens where a whole country is in debt because of the Olympics
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #138
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post
Ok...take it from someone who lives in Toronto. there was a terrorist attack that left one person dead. If this had happened in Sydney, Athens, or Beijing, the American media would have had a ******* field day. Not suprisingly though, Americans remain eerily quiet about their "mishap".
What about Munich. The Germans seem eerily quiet about their "mishap." I suppose you wanna talk shit about them too?
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #139
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

They could have......

- Picked a better host city (Chicago, New York, Boston, San-Francisco/Oakland, Washington/Baltimore, etc..... would all be better picks)
- Made a better Olympic stadium which wasn't just an obvious baseball stadium waiting to be torn down the day after the flame went out
- Cut down on the commercialism, which during the games was drilled down the throat of every visiter/viewer. There is a reason the Atlanta games have been coined the "Coca-Cola Games". I understand sponsorships are profitable for the IOC as well as the host city, and they are fundemental for the success of any Olympics, but Atlanta went a slight bit too far.

You know all of this from....

- Your many visits to the city of Atlanta? What in your experience makes Atlanta not a "better city"? I doubt you have any knowledge of Atlanta other than the stereotypical, negative, ignorant hearsay.

- Your attendance at the Opening Ceremonies or attendance at ANY event during the 1996 Games? Did you even watch any events on television?

- Your knowledge of Coca-Cola's MAJOR sponsorship of the Atlanta, Sydney, ATHENS, and Bejing Games? I don't believe that any city has turned down any sponsorship from Coca-Cola or any other company.

So how exactly did "Atlanta go a slight bit too far" with the commercialism? As a resident of the city who attended several events and was all around the city during the 2 weeks of the Games, it most definitely WAS NOT drilled down my throat anymore than "The Coca-Cola Games" is a worldwide nickname for the 1996 Olympics - maybe it's a bitter local reference only known in the Athens area.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #140
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
It was the first olympics in history to profit from ticket sales, commercialism, and merchandise alone. And guess what the city is not in debt because of it. Unlike Athens where a whole country is in debt because of the Olympics
That doesn't answer what I said though. If you had read my post you would have seen that I admitted that Atlanta's formula of over-commercializing the games is profitable, however, it takes away from the spirit of the games and what the Olympics are really about. That is why Atlanta 1996 is viewed with such a negative impression throughout these forums (and probably the world in general). There was a huge lack of anything......Olympic.

As for the Athens games and the debt. The country was in debt before the Olympics anyways. Contraty to what some may think, the Olympics are looked at in a pretty positivel ight in Athens bcause of the improvements the city made in infastructure. Anyone who saw the city before the Olympics will know what I am talking about. A new metro system (and improvements to the existing line, new highways around Athens, improvements to major Athenian avenues making driving in the city much easier, expanded and modernized public transportation, etc....

All in all, as a resident of Athens I can say that the benefits out weigh the costs.

Last edited by Zorba; September 11th, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
Zorba no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu