daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #41
odlum833

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937delta View Post
[B]

Now A part from Guinness what has Dublin ever made or built? this is a question based on the fact that Dublin is more of an aristocratic type of city, and the question is highlighting this fact.

So cubix what is your problem with what I am trying to say

Dublin makes far more then Guinness I can assure you. What does Belfast make might I ask?
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 11th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #42
odlum833

BTW you guys saying Belfast is this and that - go ahead but I will just meet, greet and beat it by examples in Dublin.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #43
PB-1888

Likes (Received): 0

So much for what I hoped - a light hearted debate between the cities, with people pointing out the relative merits of each. We might have learnt something about the other. Ah well, it has descended into name calling, accusations of drug taking and comparing one to the most evil, murderous regime ever on the planet. I'll take the charge of naiveity on the chin.
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #44
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB-1888 View Post
So much for what I hoped - a light hearted debate between the cities, with people pointing out the relative merits of each. We might have learnt something about the other. Ah well, it has descended into name calling, accusations of drug taking and comparing one to the most evil, murderous regime ever on the planet. I'll take the charge of naiveity on the chin.

Im only joking. Of course it can and should be light hearted I think Belfast is a beautiful city - its different to Dublin in many ways. Some positive, some negative. Same goes for the differences between Dublin and Belfast. Belfast is more industrial type while Dublin is a commercial city primarily.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #45
937delta

Dublin makes far more then Guinness I can assure you. What does Belfast make might I ask?

Here we ago again, I was talking about over the years, and yes Belfast would beat Dublin hands down on iconic manufactured products. Everthing is made in China or India now, then it will be Africa. All that British/Irish cities do is either design or assemble.
937delta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #46
PB-1888

"Everything is made in China now"

This is a real challenge to the West. Just look at the decline in manufacturing across the UK, especially in industrial revolution cities such as Belfast. Thankfully our iconic H&W still survives and is now growing from strength to strength, as does Shorts Bros, the world's first aviation manufacturers (though now under Bombardier).

The future for all of us lies in innovation and the knowledge led industries. Hence the importance of world class universities. Dublin and Belfast are relatively well placed in this regard, with TCD being in Europe's top 20 (Times Higher Education Suppl, 2007) and QUB being in the UK's elite Russell Group (same ref). Unfortunately for Belfast, being tied to London's corporation tax is hitting us hard. If you're going to locate to Ireland, why go to Belfast if tax is only 12.5% (correct me if I'm wrong) 100 miles down the M1. Cheaper office rents maybe. I think there should be a level playing field. London is already losing companies to Dublin for this reason. They may as well be in Belfast and although paying less tax, at least its still going to No11. NI is heavily reliant on the public sector. How is this going to change without a sufficient kick start?

Regarding my earlier comment about city area. I'm well aware that Wikipedia is a weak reference, I actually don't believe it really, but I certainly would appreciate if someone could inform me/us what it actually is. It does raise a point which was recently discussed on the Belfast thread about what defines a city and its limits. Will in a hundred years time, or less, Belfast and Dublin merge in a single large urban area swallowing up Newry, Dundalk and Drogheda? I wouldn't bet against it
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #47
937delta

Will in a hundred years time, or less, Belfast and Dublin merge in a single large urban area swallowing up Newry, Dundalk and Drogheda?

Who knows hope it doesn't happen as you will end up with 'brookside close' developments intermittent with mallusk/dargan style tin sheds with Boucher road style retail parks at 12 mile intervals. It would be horrifically vile.
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #48
PB-1888

So is Obama beat? Looks like the democrats don't know how to respond to Palin, and are seriously flapping. GOP are successfully turning this into a personality contest, and their pitbull beauty queen is stealing the show.

Sorry, I know thats a complete change of subject, but judging by the views to posts ratio for this thread I think most people aren't interested in what has been discussed to date.
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #49
PB-1888

So is Obama beat? Looks like the democrats don't know how to respond to Palin, and are seriously flapping. GOP are successfully turning this into a personality contest, and their pitbull beauty queen is stealing the show.

Sorry, I know thats a complete change of subject, but judging by the views to posts ratio for this thread I think most people aren't interested in what has been discussed to date.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #50
Onoudidnt

Likes (Received): 1

Wink

that delta arsehole reminds me of 'that kid' in class who just keeps annoying the shit out of you to get a reaction, and then when you react you get detention for it or summit. you cant win with these unionists
Onoudidnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #51
937delta

cant win with these unionists

Your right there, I take it you are a 'nationalist'. Your dream is a united Ireland. Well that may happen, but it will be on our terms. Your national anthem will dissappear, your flag will dissappear, your language will become joint second with English first. You will be back in the commonwealth. Republic status will be removed from Ireland for ever, and we will have the same assembly up here just to ensure we look after ourselves. Oh and we will spend your money made by the 'celtic tiger'. We will be the protected minority. So either way we will win. You brought politics into here so here it is back.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #52
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937delta View Post
cant win with these unionists

Your right there, I take it you are a 'nationalist'. Your dream is a united Ireland. Well that may happen, but it will be on our terms. Your national anthem will dissappear, your flag will dissappear, your language will become joint second with English first. You will be back in the commonwealth. Republic status will be removed from Ireland for ever, and we will have the same assembly up here just to ensure we look after ourselves. Oh and we will spend your money made by the 'celtic tiger'. We will be the protected minority. So either way we will win. You brought politics into here so here it is back.
lol Comedy gold.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #53
indiekid
Hipster Scum

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Who knows hope it doesn't happen as you will end up with 'brookside close' developments intermittent with mallusk/dargan style tin sheds with Boucher road style retail parks at 12 mile intervals. It would be horrifically vile.
Classic
indiekid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #54
PB-1888

Can sectarian politics stay out of this for at least 5 minutes?

Can I just say I think Delta is being picked on here. I don't agree with his response, but onoudidnt needlessly pushed him. Being a northern irish unionist isn't oxymoronic. It seems some people have difficulty accepting that.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #55
odlum833

Dont think there was anything 'sectarian' tbh. A bit of muppetry going on alright but thats what these threads are for. Honestly can we not be so fragile please? Not as if Delta has not engaged in pettiness himself.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #56
PB-1888

Fair enough, muppetry it certainly is. Problem is I'm not sure what the mods' threshold is before they start kicking us all out. Of course, delta could well have been taking the piss.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #57
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB-1888 View Post
Fair enough, muppetry it certainly is. Problem is I'm not sure what the mods' threshold is before they start kicking us all out. Of course, delta could well have been taking the piss.

Drink up and chill out

Just out of curiosity can we possibly have a Skybar that is not entirely about the constitutional question?
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #58
PB-1888

Well thats what I was trying to do. I'll banter about whatever.
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #59
cubix

Personally I think a united ireland is possible even within our lifetime,when all the animosity and resentment fades as years go by unionists will see the benefits,what do people think of it happening within a federalist context or something along them lines.
cubix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #60
937delta

Personally I think a united ireland is possible even within our lifetime,when all the animosity and resentment fades as years go by unionists will see the benefits,what do people think of it happening within a federalist context or something along them lines

Anything is possible, but for a united Ireland there would be severe concessions, I don't think the republic would go for it. Somebody called my piece comedy gold. But do you really believe that those points would not be on the table. Do you really believe that they won't. As the only time when Ireland was united under one government was when the British ruled the whole island, so I believe nationalists in NI will see the benefit of staying seperate and the 2 states will survive as good neighbours on this island. Why not England, Scotland and Wales do on the island of Britain.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: