daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Iran > Construction & Development Issues > Projects and Construction Updates > Tehran

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

[Tehran] Mosallah (Largest Mosque) | U/C

any pics any thread
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Rostan

Likes (Received): 0

http://myiranpictures.com/gallery/di...e.php?pos=-322
Rostan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Rostan

It's supposed to become the biggest mosque in the world...

Last edited by Rostan; March 13th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Rostan

This is a news article about it from 8 years ago...it's still not done.

The Toronto Star
Sandro Contenta (Middle East Bureau)

Grandiose mosque project touted as world's largest

May 15, 2001

TEHRAN - Great revolutions produce great monuments, and one of the more grandiose is rising high above Tehran's skyline.

For the Islamic Republic of Iran, spawned by ``the last great revolution'' of the 20th century, what better symbol for posterity than a gargantuan mosque complex.

``It's going to be the biggest mosque in the world,'' boasts Vahie Shariatmadari, an engineer and deputy director of the massive, unfinished project.

Two minarets already stand 136 metres high, dwarfing the mainly low-rise buildings of the city like a stunning premonition of things to come.

``The United States has the Statue of Liberty, France has the Eiffel Tower, China has the Great Wall and Egypt has the pyramids,'' Shariatmadari says. And Iran will soon have the Imam Khomeini Grand Mosala mosque, named after the late cleric who led the 1979 Shiite revolt that overthrew the shah of Iran.

``We want to show the oneness and glory of God, and the glory of the Islamic Revolution,'' he says. ``We've designed the mosque to last at least 400 years.''

But much has changed in Iran since Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini ordered the construction of the $150 million Grand Mosala after the 1979 revolution. The Shiite Islamic fervour that reigned at the time has waned, particularly among Iran's youth, for whom the revolution is barely a memory.

``There are so many poor people in Iran. They should spend all this money on them, not on a mosque,'' says Shivat Abedini, 21, her long hair flowing out of her headscarf in what the clerics who run the country would see as a provocative gesture.

According to some estimates, up to 75 per cent of Iran's population is less than 35 years old. This demographic group propels a social and political movement trying to instill the country's hardline Islamic rule with democratic and economic reforms.

The next big showdown in this power struggle will be in June's presidential elections. But almost all aspects of Iranian life seem infused with the tension between reformers and hardline conservatives, including the building of the Grand Mosala.

``I would have preferred the biggest high-tech site in the world instead of the biggest mosque,'' says Yadi Ebrahimi, a 30-year-old computer engineer who proclaimed himself ``officially secular.''

``Give me Microsoft instead of the mosque,'' says Ebrahimi, who is trying to immigrate to Canada.

Adds Afshin, a 30-year-old clothing merchant: ``Iranians are a proud people. They like big things, be it a mosque or an airport. Ultimately, the mosque will go down in the Guinness Book of Records as the biggest in the world, like the biggest sandwich in the world that was made in France. Why did they make such a big sandwich? It's not as if you can eat it. It's just to have the record.''

Claims of the biggest in the world are always difficult to verify, but Shariatmadari offers some comparisons. Tehran's Grand Mosala sits on a 650,000 square-metre site, 450,000 of which will be a covered area when completed. Neither of the famous Saudi Arabian mosques in Medina and Mecca, the holiest sites in Islam, are more than 400,000 square metres. Medina's covered space is only 100,000 square metres.

``Building mosques has become a fashion'' in the Muslim world, Shariatmadari says, pointing to newly built mosques in Oman and Morocco, whose grand mosque reportedly cost more than $1 billion. And none of those come close to the Grand Mosala's size, either, he adds.

The Grand Mosala is the creation of architect Parvis Mo-ayed Ahd, 80, who divides his time between Paris and Tehran.

Construction began six years ago. Only 25 per cent of the complex is completed, but 80,000 cubic metres of concrete have been poured, and 30,000 tonnes of steel used so far.

One of its prayer halls spans 50,000 square metres, with ceilings 14 metres high. The mosque's dome will be 57 metres in diameter and will be crowned by a stylized arch spanning 130 metres.

``The arch is a big headache for us. We are on an earthquake zone . . . so it needs a very special design to make sure it will not collapse for 400 years,'' Shariatmadari says.

``It is an ambitious project and some ordinary people may say: `We are hungry, and in a bad economic situation, so why should we build such a huge mosque?' But it will be to the glory of the Iranian people.''
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #5
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Likes (Received): 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostan View Post
It's supposed to become the biggest mosque in the world...

Very cool. Thanks for this pic. Now I think it will be very nice once finished. Before I thought it's just an ugly building
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #6
TEHR_IR
Golfo_Persico

Likes (Received): 58

yes but when it will be finished I didn't see much evolution in the construction yet...

IRAN AVIATION THREAD

IRAN/PERSIA PICTURES

TEHR_IR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
DingoBingo
Es lebe RAMMSTEIN

Likes (Received): 8

Biggest mosque in the world??? These filthy mullahs should build the biggest university in the world, or the biggest sports complex. All this BS about mosques disgusts me. SHIT on that!
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #8
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Likes (Received): 13

It's going to be the new meeting point for basijis and mulahs.

I can imagine the purpose: 5 minutes prayer along with a huge crowd and then hours of west bashing and brainwashing.

Last edited by Shapoor; March 14th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Persiancat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoBingo View Post
Biggest mosque in the world??? These filthy mullahs should build the biggest university in the world, or the biggest sports complex. All this BS about mosques disgusts me. SHIT on that!
You are very right Biggest mosque in the world, for what purpose? People can worship god at their homes or a small mosque. Why are we wasting our money on mosques so much? come on people, there are like three or four mosques in every district! cut it out.
Persiancat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #10
shugs

Likes (Received): 23

I thought the mosque Saddam was constructing in Baghdad was going to be the biggest mosque in the world?
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
DingoBingo
Es lebe RAMMSTEIN

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persiancat View Post
You are very right Biggest mosque in the world, for what purpose? People can worship god at their homes or a small mosque. Why are we wasting our money on mosques so much? come on people, there are like three or four mosques in every district! cut it out.
Honestly man, this shit makes me so angry. Iran lacks in good sport facilities and so many other things. While our young people struggle to get good education, these heyvoons want to build the biggest mosque in the world. I'd go there just to take a shit!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Persiancat
BANNED

Quote:
these heyvoons want to build the biggest mosque in the world. I'd go there just to take a shit!
lol!
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Persan

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoBingo View Post
...these heyvoons want to build the biggest mosque in the world. I'd go there just to take a shit!
I'm not a fan of the IRI at all, but what you said is a bit too much. You're sinking down to their level. In a future democratic Iran, everyone should be able to do as they wish, even if that means worship at a Mosque (or Church or Synagogue). That being said, I can see your frustration! Why not build the world's best university? Or hospital? Or a even a proper airport?
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Rahmani
-|-

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persan View Post
I'm not a fan of the IRI at all, but what you said is a bit too much. You're sinking down to their level. In a future democratic Iran, everyone should be able to do as they wish, even if that means worship at a Mosque (or Church or Synagogue). That being said, I can see your frustration! Why not build the world's best university? Or hospital? Or a even a proper airport?

Indeed, but the same can be said about the oil rich UAE and other countries in the ME, lets build the biggest empty buildings!

As for the construction taking extreemly long. Have you seen the WTC?

I whish more people would invest in building the best universities, hospitals and public transportation... in all countries!
Rahmani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #15
FreeToLove

I agree with people here. Like wtf. Why not a the biggest Hospital, School, Airport, mall, etc.. Something everyone will use. Theres like a mosque every block.
FreeToLove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #16
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

i like it!they should build the biggest mosque in the world,cause after all its JUMHURYE ESLAMYE iran!
i must admit i love monumental buildings!
but also we should build the biggest hospital,university etc in the world!
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #17
TEHR_IR
Golfo_Persico

Likes (Received): 58

I think it's huge and impressive, I like it too...

IRAN AVIATION THREAD

IRAN/PERSIA PICTURES

TEHR_IR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #18
Persiancat
BANNED

it may be huge and impressive, but is it what we need right now?
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Likes (Received): 13

I don't mind this mosque getting built, but I mind the people who are going to pray there chant IRI and anti west slogans

Last edited by Shapoor; September 21st, 2009 at 03:52 AM. Reason: typo
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #20
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Likes (Received): 1026

oh, I can't stand all those brain washed friday prayers but I think it'll be a nice monument for Tehran and a nice tourist attraction. I have seen pix of some of its finished parts and the ceilings are so impressive and nice..
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote