daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old September 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 78

DUBAI | One Park Avenue (JG) | ~600m | ~1969ft | 125 fl | On Hold

Stunning projects to redefine skyline
By Saifur Rahman, Business Editor
Published: May 04, 2008, 00:12

Dubai: Dubai is set to re-define its skyline with a number of supertowers that will rise more than 100 floors and 600 metres, with a combined estimated value of Dh25 billion ($7 billion).

The projects, to be announced later this year, will be part of a new master-planned development that will raise Dubai's profile on urban development and masterplanning.

Dubai Government has already approved the projects, currently titled AC Towers, EP Site 07, 09 and 15. Designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill, the projects are expected to be completed in five years.

Smith, the lead architect, also designed the Burj Dubai - currently the world's tallest tower at 160 floors.

"Dubai has already become the host to the highest number of supertowers in the world," Smith said.

"We are going to add a few more to the city's growing skyline. Out of the 13 supertowers that are being designed by us, five of them will be located in the UAE and one in Qatar."

His company has already signed with the "yet to be announced developer" to build these towers, which are unique in their own ways and will be more energy efficient.

Eco-friendliness, energy efficiency, sustainability and intelligent building systems are key to the strength of these towers, designed to stand out among the hundreds of towers that are being developed.

Smith said the new technology that he plans to employ on the buildings will pull air from the top floors, that are about 10 degree cooler, and spray them at the lower levels where temperature is higher.

"This is a unique technique never employed in supertowers. Dubai will be the first city in the world to have them implemented," he said.

"The new buildings that we have designed for Dubai can save energy by 40 to 60 per cent. We can get to '0' level in energy consumption.

"We can, in fact, design buildings that can create energy for the city. Instead of consuming energy, these buildings can actually contribute energy to the city."

EP 07 Tower

Among the three EP projects, EP 07 will rise 125 floors and reflect Dubai's pearl trading and farming heritage. The mixed-use project will be approximately 600 metres high and will have a built-up area of 350,000 square metres.

"We have designed them to reflect on Dubai's rich heritage - developed especially for Dubai. It is covered by ribbons of steel that helps it to utilise the solar energy and make it sustainable," Smith said.

"The steel ribbon helps save energy. Besides, the buildings have been designed to withstand wind pressure and manage the pressure more efficiently. At peak, it will tilt less than 1.25 metres either way."

Last edited by malec; October 7th, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
malec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old September 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I'm splitting up the AC / EP Towers thread

Some larger renders:

EP 07 Tower - 125 floors

Last edited by malec; October 7th, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
malec no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4215

Where on earth do they find the tenants and demand for all these towers? I just don't get it. Much as I admire what's happening there, Dubai's strategy is just this never-ending boom of ridiculously tall skyscrapers. Do they really expect to fill them all? I mean seriously... WTF.
wjfox está en línea ahora  
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #4
larven

Likes (Received): 561

This looks like one of the better projects for Dubai, the EP07 tower is gorgeous.
larven no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Rutger1991

Likes (Received): 18

Another supertall for Dubai, they just keep 'em coming!!!!
I really like the design!!
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Guest89
----SSC «----

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Where on earth do they find the tenants and demand for all these towers? I just don't get it. Much as I admire what's happening there, Dubai's strategy is just this never-ending boom of ridiculously tall skyscrapers. Do they really expect to fill them all? I mean seriously... WTF.
lol tenants buy everything out a few hours after they are announced. Don't forget that Dubai is the fastest growing city in the world. This is not Europe or America, things are done with the snap of the fingers here. I hope more towers are in the pipeline!
Guest89 no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #7
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger1991 View Post
Another supertall for Dubai, they just keep 'em coming!!!!
I really like the design!!
These were already announced a month back but they were in the same thread as the ac towers. I decided to split the threads.
malec no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Milansson

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
This looks like one of the better projects for Dubai, the EP07 tower is gorgeous.
i have to agree with you.. the EP 07 is wonderful..
Milansson no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #9
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 1158

yes, this project is really incredible and amazing!!
potipoti está en línea ahora  
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #10
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 371

Wow, amazing. What's the amount of existing, u/c and planned office space in Dubai at the moment?
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #11
chicagoan

Likes (Received): 0

I think I like EP15 best, the sharp geometric shapes are a nice contrast to curvier buildings like the BurjD
chicagoan no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #12
Amrafel
Higher, better

Likes (Received): 727

EP 07 is absolutely perfect

projects & photos & history
Amrafel no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Deng

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
lol tenants buy everything out a few hours after they are announced. Don't forget that Dubai is the fastest growing city in the world. This is not Europe or America, things are done with the snap of the fingers here. I hope more towers are in the pipeline!
I think that title belongs to Chongqing...
Dubai is certainly winning in terms of towers but Chongqing is close on its heels as well as boasting a yearly growth of about 800,000 people in the urban area.
Deng no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1069

Wow. you made a new thread for them? name change? I already saw these towers I think...

Fries || Rotterdammer || Coloradan || Londoner || Viennese

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna and Bratislava
Ni3lS no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #15
kingsc

Likes (Received): 62

you did see them before I said the samething when I came here.
^
^

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/group.php?groupid=288
You could be a memeber
kingsc no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #16
kingsc

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post

I've read alot about Dubai. And I never heard it called the fast growing city. And America isn't a city neither is Europe. If I'm right Dubai isn't even in the top 25 in city size. And America has at less four cities larger then it. And China has at less three of the fast growing cities in the world.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/group.php?groupid=288
You could be a memeber
kingsc no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #17
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 180

there were announced ages ago. 4th of may 2008 to be precise, but it looks very desparate as Dubai released all 4 of these supertalls at the same time. Just too busy at developing Dubai...

buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1069

Yes thanks, I see the thread is splitted now

Fries || Rotterdammer || Coloradan || Londoner || Viennese

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna and Bratislava
Ni3lS no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #19
da_funkmaster
User Registered

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
there were announced ages ago. 4th of may 2008 to be precise, but it looks very desparate as Dubai released all 4 of these supertalls at the same time. Just too busy at developing Dubai...

If those were built, this would be the next level of skyscrapers to me! Just awesome!
And since Burj Al Alam is finally going to get started, I'm pretty confident about them being built.

da_funkmaster no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #20
helghast
829.84m / 2,722ft

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I've read alot about Dubai. And I never heard it called the fast growing city. And America isn't a city neither is Europe. If I'm right Dubai isn't even in the top 25 in city size. And America has at less four cities larger then it. And China has at less three of the fast growing cities in the world.
well u must not been reading the right stuff, Dubai IS the fastest growing city in the world