daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #41
jcarloschile
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

And about Saint Petersburg, Madrid, Seville, ok, they're beautiful cities, but IMO they can't compare with Paris, or would you call Madrid "World's Most Beautiful City"??'
And about Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires, well......
jcarloschile no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #42
Imanol
De lo peor

Likes (Received): 22

I prefer Seville or Istanbul.
But Paris is nice too :P. I love it, and Haussmann-style buildings are nice.

Visita mi Flickr
Imanol no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #43
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why do you think B. Aires is a prettier version of Paris?

Rome doesn't match Paris - its a rat warren.
As I said before, for me Paris is the best city built by man until today but it's too monotonous for my taste. When I walk through the streets of Paris I've the feeling they copy/pasted all buildings in a raw and you can guess what will come behind the next corner. Paris is beautiful but it' not the most beautiful, that's just my opinion. Maybe I think Buenos Aires is more beautiful because it is more exotic to an European, it's just personal.
Messi no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #44
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

I've always though BA is also beautiful because of all those Neo classic buildings like in EU or Paris but didn't they also copy cat from EU style to Build them ?
skyboi no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #45
OPO.RVK

Likes (Received): 1

VENEZIA,VENICE,VENEZA
OPO.RVK no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #46
Príncipe
um príncipe de araque

Likes (Received): 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
i'll go with sao paulo...

Ok, I know the motto "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" but this is a bit too much
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #47
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244822

Most beautiful cirty on earth: Paris, France
christos-greece no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #48
Fly2Bacolod
The City of Smiles

image hosted on flickr
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #49
luclasaw
Luclasaw

Likes (Received): 503

Paris never will lost the raking! From ancient times to prsent istill number one!
luclasaw no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #50
Inkdaub

Likes (Received): 3

Paris is great and Parisians are...amusing.
Inkdaub no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #51
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
i'll go with sao paulo...
Me too! Or Rio, but by the city itself and it landscape. People think Rio is beautiful just because of nature, but actually it´s pretty also as city.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=725952

Last edited by JoseRodolfo; October 24th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
JoseRodolfo no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #52
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarloschile View Post
Paris has a lot of parks, for example the Bois de Bolougne, which is 3.3 times larges than the Hyde Park in London, the Jardin de Luxemburg, with an area of 56 acre, the Parc Monceau, with 30 acre, the Champ de Mars, with 43 acre, the Parc André Citroën, with 35 acres, Parc Montsouris with 38 acre, Parc de la Villette, with 62 acre, Parc des Buttes Chaumont, with 61 acre, and you have also the Promenade Plantée, a 4.5 kilometres long elevated park in the 12th arrondissement.
Paris has a lot of parks but none of them seem to be in the city centre. It´s very hard to find green space in central Paris where one could actually sit down and relax. There are plenty of gardens but the lawns are always sealed off so as not to be ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarloschile View Post
The only reason why London has "architectural diversity", is because most of it was destroyed during World War II, and rebuilt as fast as the could in any architectural style, most of it brutalist.
Absolutely false. I won´t post any pics because this thread is about Paris but London´s old architecture is far more diverse than anything you find in Paris.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #53
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

beatiful city, but not most.
l'eau no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #54
LS Kim
Non Dvcor Dvco

Likes (Received): 409

LS Kim no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #55
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Paris has a lot of parks but none of them seem to be in the city centre. It´s very hard to find green space in central Paris where one could actually sit down and relax. There are plenty of gardens but the lawns are always sealed off so as not to be ruined.
Well, all the big parks of London (Hyde, Regents, Victoria & Battersea, especially the last 2) are all located roughly the same distance away from the center-most point of London than Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes are from the center-most point of Paris. It's just that what most of us view as London is a much bigger area than what we view as Paris since Paris city-proper has clear boundaries (ring road plus the two huge parks), while nobody (obviously) sees the City of London (1 sq. mi) as London but many other boroughs which become Greater London or simply London.

With that much bigger area Hyde and Regents and even Victoria and Battersea seem quite central while Boulogne and Vincennes are on the periphery, but only because of what we understand as being all of London and all of Paris.

Paris has Luxembourg, Tuileries, Champs de Mars, Buttes Chaumont, Monceau & Montsouris + the newer André Citroen & Bercy a bit further out, most of which do allow people to sit and walk in the grass (not sure about Tuileries, though, but it's big with plenty of chairs and benches to take in the air and stare at the sky and ponds). On top of this, you have the smaller neighborhood parks and squares, which sometimes offer playgrounds for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Absolutely false. I won´t post any pics because this thread is about Paris but London´s old architecture is far more diverse than anything you find in Paris.
Here I agree. Not all of London was bombarded. London was not Berlin. A lot of London pre-WWII is still there. I agree that even without the post-WWII London is or atleast appears more diversified architecturally.
edubejar no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #56
serfin

Likes (Received): 277

IMHO i think that the most beautiful cities are Budapest, Istanbul and Venice. But i love Moscow, Cairo, and Vancuver.
serfin no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #57
UMSHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfin View Post
IMHO i think that the most beautiful cities are Budapest, Istanbul and Venice. But i love Moscow, Cairo, and Vancuver.
I think most would agree that Santiago is a glorious city! I think you should mention Santiago as well.
UMSHK no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #58
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Budapest is a mess. Not that it sin´t beatiful.

@edubejar

The impression I got after visiting both Paris and London is that London is superior when it comes to parks.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #59
serfin

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMSHK View Post
I think most would agree that Santiago is a glorious city! I think you should mention Santiago as well.
Sorry, but it's only a subjective opinion, perhaps to you Santiago is the most beautiful city, but to me it isn't.
serfin no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #60
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

I heard that so much of Budapest (the center itself) is in great need of restoration which must have an effect on the beauty. As for Venice, isn't even a real working city? I know it was once a functional city but today Venice is a place for tourists, those who work in the tourist industry and the few people who own apartments and palaces there from Italy and other parts of the world who don't live there but part-time.

OK, London may have more parks but Paris has so many large squares (places) and wide arterials (avenues, boulevards, cours, allée) which help open up the city and make up for the tighter, denser neighborhoods. Many of these wide arterials are lined up with trees which is also very pleasant.
edubejar no está en línea  

Closed Thread