daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #61
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Budapest is a mess. Not that it sin´t beatiful.
My mom visited Prague, Budapest and Vienna this year and she said that Budapest was the most amazing and beautiful one.
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM   #62
Daniel Athias

Likes (Received): 2

My Opinion:
i think that when we thing and in big metropolis there are three cities that tie:

Rio de janeiro, New york and Paris.

Rio is fantastic because of its landscape, as wel because of its architecture, tah its a well mix of " art deco, modernism, art noveau, colonial buildings, ecletic buildings, neoclassic buildings, neogothic..." and many other styles that you can find by the city, culturally is just amazing as well...

but of course there are many cities that are just amazing as well all over the world, but these are the three cities that are unique by something!
Daniel Athias no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM   #63
Daniel Athias

Likes (Received): 2

i never been to istanbul but Le Corbusier said it's the paradise on earth because of its architecture(saying the hell is NYC)...well is his opinion
Daniel Athias no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM   #64
bloatedstomach

Likes (Received): 0

While Paris and London have some of the most fantastic architecture in the world, surely Cape Town must be up there at the top in terms of iconic natural beauty.

bloatedstomach no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:35 AM   #65
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

I thought this was a thread on Paris pictures...

In any case, for me, Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. I would put only 1 or 2 other cities almost on par with it -- and none of them by virtue of their settings, sizes, populations, densities, etc.
tpe no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:41 AM   #66
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Setting has nothing to do with how beautiful a city is. I am less impressed by beautiful cities in beautiful settings than I am with beautiful cities in ordinary settings. Istanbul could very well be the most beautiful city on Earth. I have never been so I don't know.
Paris is the most beautiful based on cities that I have been to.

Cape Town, Rio, and Vancouver...would their built city really be that beautiful if they were in the middle a flat nonspecific plain? The mountains outside Milan do nothing for the city itself.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM   #67
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Setting has nothing to do with how beautiful a city is. I am less impressed by beautiful cities in beautiful settings than I am with beautiful cities in ordinary settings. Istanbul could very well be the most beautiful city on Earth. I have never been so I don't know.
Paris is the most beautiful based on cities that I have been to.

Cape Town, Rio, and Vancouver...would their built city really be that beautiful if they were in the middle a flat nonspecific plain? The mountains outside Milan do nothing for the city itself.
About Rio, you can have an idea of the built city seeing this thread of mine: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=725952
JoseRodolfo no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #68
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Look I have my views on Paris, I have my views on London and I know which one I prefer but this is a thread about Paris. I am sick and tired of having to trawl through a myriad of inane posts featuring images of other cities.

May Paris long continue, especially full of French people who can at times be rather......French. To Paris. If I won the Euro millions I would be buying on of my apts there for sure. Makes me proud to be European (kindof European - you know us Brits).
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #69
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Cape Town looks so tiny.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #70
gooseberry

Likes (Received): 3

Of the cities I've been too, I agree Paris is the most beautiful. I think what you see when you look at what's immediately around you is more important than how a city looks from a distance. A lot of times when a city in a spectacular natural setting, I think about how much more spectacular it would be without a city there.
gooseberry no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #71
AAL

Likes (Received): 31

I vote for Paris, too!
AAL no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #72
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Paris is the most beautiful large city in the world by far - whoever mentioned African archtecture must be mad, and Asian architecture?

Vancouver? Don't make me laugh... the surroundings don't make the city beautiful if the actual city is mundane in its streets, architecture, etc..

It is ridiculous to compare tiny cities like Venice or Prague to Paris anyway, so dont' bother. Paris is the #1 large metropolis in terms of man-made beauty.

NY can't compare in visual beauty neither can London, even though it has beautiful areas.

From what I've seen of BA in photos, it isn't as prestine or beautiful as Paris at all. It has countless modern structures everwhere.
Of course that is all just your opinion... which is entirely subjective and worth no more than someone's elses opinion that may be totally in disagreement with yours.

I would think that it's hard to view a city as "beautiful" if is has dog shit and garbage strewn streets/sidewalks.

Last edited by oceanmdx; November 10th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
oceanmdx no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #73
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmdx View Post
Of course that is all just your opinion... which is entirely subjective and worth no more than someone's elses opinion that may be totally in disagreement with yours.

I would think that it's hard to view a city as "beautiful" if is has dog shit and garbage strewn streets/sidewalks.

Outside of the 9th, 10th, 11th, or 19th districts (4 districts out of 20 = about 1/4 of the compact area that is the city-proper being roughly a circle 6 miles in diameter = in the North/Northeast quadrant of the city-proper), you would have a difficulty finding any street that have garbage-strewn streets/sidewalks like you say...at least anymore than any other urban area of some 10 million people and a city invaded by many tour groups. The best bet is to look at Google Maps StreetView images. Those don't lie because those pics capture 360-degree views of the streets, in bad or good condition, with no cover-ups. So outside of the rather chaotic, lower-income North/Northeast, you won't find garbage-strewn streets or sidewalks unless a festival, event, manifest or other huge event just occurred.

Not all of Paris is the area around the Moulin Rouge, Sacred Heart/Montmartre, Gare du Nord (North Station) and Bastille. Those are just a fraction of the City. As for the dog poop, you must have visited a while back. There was a municipal crack-down on that with fines, as well as many signs now reminding people to pick up after their pooches. Even the old, hard-headed Parisian ladies are doing their part these days, it seems I havn't stepped on dog poop in Paris in a long time now but I remember that was a common thing some 5 or 6 years ago.
edubejar no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #74
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

I can't say for sure, because, of course, I haven't been to every city on Earth. But the most beautiful city I've ever seen in person is Paris, with my own Madison coming in at a distant but respectable second place.
Squiggles no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #75
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

It must be New York.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #76
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

In my opinion Amsterdam is no.1
followed by SanFran and Rio.
If I had to decide between Paris and Rom, I would choose Rom.
Dubrovnik is also beautiful.
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #77
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

San Francisco is my second option, Rio too poor .

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #78
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

The most beautiful city is obviously Amsterdam, you silly people

Just do a search on flickr for some more.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #79
lysandros

Likes (Received): 8

I ve been to Amsterdam twice.
Its the city i would like to live,i simply love it and i cant wait to be there again but... i wouldnt call it the most beautyfull, in the obvious way, city in the world.
You could even say that it is a bit ugly sometimes but in a very sweet and romantic way(if this makes sence to anybody..).
Its charm is somethng more than just the beautyfull buildings,theres something about the atmosphere and the everyday life that makes Amsterdam the city of my heart!!

Anyway
Paris has my favourite landmark,the Eifel Tower,it also has very character and it is a friendly city but... i wouldnt say the most beatyfull.
I would vote for London in Europe.
Much more colourfull diverse and modern but still just a boring historic village when compared to Tokyo!!

Japanese do it better.
My vote goes to Tokyo!!

Last edited by lysandros; November 11th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
lysandros no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #80
lysandros

Likes (Received): 8

double post

Closed Thread