daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18216

BRATISLAVA Photo Thread - hkskyline's Euro 2007 Tour

After Budapest, the few of us from the Hong Kong forum took the train to Bratislava, Slovakia, where our flights back to London would depart (with thanks, Ryanair). We didn't know much about this place at first, and given some disappointments in Budapest, our expectations weren't so high for Bratislava. However, it turns out this city well exceeded our expectations, with a very charming old town. Our whirlwind tour of several hours was jam-packed and exhausting.

Unlike the previous photo series from the rest of my 2007 Europe trip to Copenhagen, Malmo, and Budapest, I'll consolidate all the photos into this one thread.

The train station is about a 10 minute walk from the old town. Let's start walking.

I like these tidy newstands.

Although some of these buildings need restoration, in general, the old town is quite well maintained.

The president lives here - between the rail station and old town, with a pleasant garden behind it.

Unfortunately, we took a midday train to Bratislava, which took over 3 hours. The faster trains didn't have the departure times we wanted. We had to rush before the light dips too low and the streets would be too dark to photograph.

We do see some modern new buildings but the old town is quite well preserved.

We're nearing the old town. Notice the historic tower in the distance.

The streets were fairly clean.

Lovely scene. The tram tracks are on level with the pedestrian areas, so we had to check around extra carefully.

I guess that means pedestrian zone?

Reminds me of Prague's trams.

Darn .. the sunset is imminent and we haven't entered the old dtown yet!

We're in!

How far are we from the rest of the world?

We were quite excited seeing how lively the streets are inside the old town. There is one major street [pedestrian-only], and a number of alleys, which seemed quite safe to venture about. The buildings were well-maintained with many shops and open-air restaurants.

I guess steaks and fishes are in English.

Due to the decreasing light, we had to adjust our photo-taking angles a bit. I wanted to make the building glow after a little Photoshop work.

More old town in the next part!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Now on to part 2 - more from exploring the old town :

They made this to provide photo opportunities?

The main square looks quite nice, with a huge open space fronted by what looks like several key buildings. There wasn't a lot of activity but it didn't seem like a deserted space. Perhaps I came during a quieter part of the day. I think it has effectively carried out its function.

Another one of these photo-op sculptures. I like the theme ... matches perfectly with the location.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Nice pics. The old town looks amazing and you can definitely notice the proximity to Vienna. The city appears to be incredibly underrated partly because it's surrounded by such well known capitals (Prague, Vienna, Budapest). I think I'll travel to Bratislava at some point next year but I haven't found any direct flights from Franfkurt to Bratislava. I guess I'll just fly to Vienna and then take a train/bus.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:46 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

More pretty buildings await. Although the design is simple, the colour arrangements and maintenance add to the simplistic beauty.

As the sunset approached, it became difficult to take pictures as it got too bright.

Some parts of the street were no longer lit up, hence despite the daytime feel, parts of the scenes may be too dark to capture.

The sunset offers opportunities to take some silhouette-type photos, although this one doesn't seem to achieve that perfectly.

Bratislava's old town is quite amazing. Time was not on our side, and soon we had to leave, but we tried to cram as much as we could during our short trip.

A man-made waterway adorns a small park that is edged between buildings.

This new building offers quite a contrast, but does match somewhat with the surroundings, such as building height, simplicity, etc. We can't stop progress, but can certainly mitigate the clash of worlds through design.

Old September 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244698

Very very nice
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong