daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM   #61
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Singapore definitely. Its the only city-state where overseas Chinese composes the majority of the population.
Singapore's Chinatown is now nothing but a giant theme park.

All the residents were evicted in the mid 1990s for the so called urban renewal. All the buildings were mass restored and mass sold. So now there are no residents there, and the oldest shops only date back to 1995 or so.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #62
piratesean

Likes (Received): 2

Since I don't think its been posted yet, I'll have to give a nod to Liverpool's China Town. By no means the largest, but it is one of the oldest Chinese communities in Europe. Also boasts an impressive Imperial Archway (the largest outside of china) which is worth a picture at least! We still have a good Chinese New Year festival, with dragon dancers, cabbage, and those loud firecrackers

piratesean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM   #63
Minato ku

A quite good picture of Belleville chinatown. (Paris)

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2234183307/
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:41 AM   #64
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You shouldn't feel like a foreigner when you visit Richmond because most of those people are Canadians just like you. They're just not caucasian and many speak languages other than English or French. Canada is NOT a caucasian country. It's like saying I feel like a foreigner in my own country when I go to Nova Scotia because of all those Scottish people.

I think what you meant to say is that you're not used to being part of a minority group and the experience was an eye opener. My friend Kelly said a similar thing when she visited me in Toronto during Pride Week. As a heterosexual female she felt like a minority for the first time in her life.

We're all Canadians.
Yea, I know we're all Canadians. It's just there's this feeling you get when you go to a foreign land... It's a feeling of not belonging, and I have felt that the odd time I've been in Richmond. Really, I could say the same thing about being at a party where I don't know anyone.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #65
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
Singapore's Chinatown is now nothing but a giant theme park.

All the residents were evicted in the mid 1990s for the so called urban renewal. All the buildings were mass restored and mass sold. So now there are no residents there, and the oldest shops only date back to 1995 or so.
Urban renewal does have some negative effects in some cities. HK is one. It's not as exotic as it used to be!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM   #66
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Urban renewal does have some negative effects in some cities. HK is one. It's not as exotic as it used to be!
But doing this to the original "old town" of Singapore?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #67
K14N
Strive for the best!!

Likes (Received): 46

Singapore's Chinatown:

Picture is taken from Panoramio

It's Time to Visit INDONESIA...
K14N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #68
K14N
Strive for the best!!

Likes (Received): 46

Pics of Jalan Petaling, China Town of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:

All pics are taken from Panoramio...

It's Time to Visit INDONESIA...
K14N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #69
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Some pics of Singapore Chinatown, which is dominated by restored shophouse buildings. Whats interesting about the Chinatown is that there is a Hindu temple and mosque in it, dating from the 19th century, and adding to the mix of architectural styles and colour.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #70
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Chinatown contrasts visually with the modern skyscrapers of Singapore . (pic by aloyteo)

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #71
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

San Francisco's Chinatown during Autumn Moon Festival.
These are all my pictures.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #72
HKG

Likes (Received): 3499

Good shot :hoho:
SF ChinaTown is so narrow and messy !

HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #73
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

San Francisco
Sydney
New York
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #74
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

Toronto

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #75
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
I don't think so. Alot of HKers moved to London after the handover
Wrong. The British government was not keen to give British citizenship to Hong Kong residents. They weren't willing to take on a few extra million people, and this was big sore point among Hong Kongers as the immigration wave continued from the 80s into the 90s leading to the handover. This is a key part of colonial Hong Kong history. I'm a bit surprised you're not aware of it even though you claim to live here. What the British conceded was a useless British National Overseas (BNO) passport, which meant nothing at all but a travel document.

As a result, many decided to settle elsewhere, such as Canada, Australia, and the US. I highly doubt London was the first choice immigration destination. It hosts a lot of Hong Kong students, but not a primary choice for family moves.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #76
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I tend to agree that Toronto and Vancouver have the best Chinatowns in the world. From a Hong Kong Chinese perspective, you simply can get almost all you can get in Hong Kong in these two places, and in many aspects, the experience is even more progressive than back home.

In HK, it is very hard to come across a huge supermarket that sprawls over tens of thousands of square feet. Land is expensive, and stores miniaturize. Meanwhile, I can pop into a T&T in Toronto, Vancouver, or Calgary (among their other locations across the country) to find myself in a supermarket the size of a football field, equivalent to a supermarket geared for local consumers in the mainstream. All the products I can get in HK are available, in addition to selection for the mainland and Taiwanese communities. Sure, the fish are probably not as fresh and are of different species, but there are plenty of other options available.

San Francisco's Chinatown gives a vibe of the old world Chinese diaspora. With a very long history dating back to the gold rush days, many key Chinese traditions resonate, which is very different from the predominantely newer Chinese diaspora establishments in Canada, which give a very modern feel (ie. brand new Chinese shopping centres, large supermarkets, etc.). New York's Lower East Side Chinatown also gives an old world feel as well. These places offer street-side retail, oftentimes with food stalls spilling onto the streets, hence a more rugged, dirty look. I'm not a big fan of these, as even HK or China nowadays isn't like that anymore.

London's Chinatown near Leicester Square is very small. I don't think most of the Chinese community lives there anyway, and with only a few street blocks, vastly underestimates the power of the community. It does give an old world vibe, but I thought it was much cleaner than New York / San Fran.

I'm aware that Sydney has 2 key Chinatowns - one near the main railway station close to Darling Harbour, and the other in Chastwood. The first one is an old world, but there is a huge IGA in a fairly recent shopping centre which offers good selection (not as good as T&T), while the Chastwood one is quite new, somewhat like a Vancouver Richmond, but smaller.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM   #77
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Honestly, all the chinatowns that I have seen in this thread makes me think they are not a true functional chinatown but more of a tourist attraction. Thank god there is no gate in the Toronto chinatown, cause it just makes it more of a tourist destination. Also in my opinion the street lights in some of these chinatowns is just stupid.
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM   #78
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't even think the downtown Chinatown in Toronto is a true Chinatown anymore. Perhaps 50 years ago it was, but the main population has shifted away, and you won't find gates and decorated lamp-posts in Markham or Richmond Hill.

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:58 AM   #79
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

Is it because the heart of the Chinese community has moved to other areas of the city? I do recognize the population shift to Markham, etc. but what about the other elements. Do you think the downtown Chinatown is steadily declining into a Chinese 'theme park', or can it be reversed? The retail is Chinese, as are a huge percentage of the clientele, so most of them likely still live close by?

In Toronto, this kind of shift happened to the Italian community as well. Little Italy is still somewhat Italian, but the heart of the Italian community is now Corso Italia. The original Little Italy is more of an Italian themed neighbourhood, with lots of Portuguese people living there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 21st, 2008 at 06:09 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM   #80
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

It is disheartening to think of the decline of Toronto's traditional Chinatown.

If you were there 15 years ago, you would see a thriving centre (I think the first major Chinese mall opened in Scarborough and retail just started sprouted around new housing developements and everything just took off and the decline of Chinatown started); now it is only a shell of itself with Vietnamese and Filipino stores taking over. It's not quite a total theme park yet, I don't think it will ever degenerate to that level since there's such a huge Chinese community in Toronto. It is still much larger and better than London's Chinatown in my opinion (London = 3 times smaller and food is 2 times as expensive. I counted 1 Chinese bakery...). There is a small group of Chinese that probably live in Trinity-Spadina which is probably much reduced from the peak Chinese population of the Chinatown area. Since then, many of the Chinese have moved north of Toronto mainly for larger houses and it is neither practicable, nor necessary to travel downtown anymore. Reversing the trend will be very hard and I don't think it will ever be the same. Hopefully Cityplace will help revitalize it.

hkskyline is very right in that the new community is much more reflective of Hong Kong, Taiwan and China of today. It is much cleaner and the food and retail variety is vastly superior than anything that can be found downtown to be honest.

I think with many overseas Chinatowns, you feel like you're in North American or European communities with a Chinese flair and influence. However, when you get to Toronto's new community, it in many ways feels.....if only for a few moments, as if you were in Hong Kong or Beijing or Shanghai. This is the key difference.

Last edited by Skybean; October 21st, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote