daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

MAKE YOUR LIST: Next World Cups and Olympic Games (by country)

There seems to be alot of talk about various countries holding WC's recently so I thought a thread dicussing which countries could actuially host one by themselves these days. With the increase size from 16 to 24 to 32 teams aswell as the increase in required stadium quality and infrastructure I'm not sure many former hosts could be included anymore. The following springs to mind...

Germany - Hosting in 2006

South Africa - Hosting in 2010

Brazil - FIFA's choice for 2014, will require alot of redevolpment but they obviously have the passion for football and the population.

England - Could likely host it when the next round of new/redevolped open next year and theirs most likely more on the way.

Spain - Talk up upgrading the two legendary stadiums aswell as many other projects.

Morocco - Went for 2010 with a number of big new stadiums planned so you'd think they'd be able to do so again.

Italy - Some of the 1990 stadia are dating but with the popularity of the game you'd think their would be money for redevolpment.

USA - Many NFL and collage stadia that could be used.

France - Hosted in 98 although I think they'd need to inprove their stadia to do so again.

Argentia - The rules limiting you to two stadia per city might have to be changed for Buenos Aires but like Brazil theres obviously a passion for football.

China - Many large stadiusm already and their would likely be lots of funding aviable for more.

Japan - Could probabley have hosted 2002 alone considering the number of stadia not used.

South Korea - was almost able to host 2002 alone and with the growing popularity of football there would probabley be able to do so in the future.

Australia - Finding uses for the 2-3 new stadia needed might be a problem but theres certainly the money there.

Other possible ones I don't have enough details on to know for sure.

Mexico - Not sure if they'd be able to rustle up the stadia but the passion for football is certainly there again.

Colombia - Was going to host in 1986 before political problems moved it to mexico, does already have some big stadiums but would need lots of devolpment.

Russia - Again has the population and the passion but would need alot of redevolpment stadia wise.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Portugal has a good chance at it.

Braga:

Leiria:

Aveiro:

Porto:

Boavista:

Guimarães:

Coimbra:

Belenenses:

Gil Vicente:

Lisbon:

Benfica

Sporting

Algarve:

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

What are the capacities of those stadia?
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #4
johnz88
polska88

Likes (Received): 0

Ya but Portugal wont get the World Cup anytime soon since they just hosted the Euros. Maybe the earliset they would have a chance to get would be 2022-2026
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #5
coalfactor
sky-high!!!!!

Likes (Received): 1

mexico was the first country to hold the world cup twice n probably the only one, anyways for now it would be too soon but definately there is the infrastructure
coalfactor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #6
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalfactor
mexico was the first country to hold the world cup twice n probably the only one, anyways for now it would be too soon but definately there is the infrastructure
France has hosted it twice now aswell and as I said the second time was filling in for Columbia. Hosting a WC in 1986 and hosting one now is a very different matetr though, not only do you have 32 rather than 24 teams but the standard of stadium expected it much higher. Not that I'm saying Mexico wouldnt be able to host it just that I don't think the previous 2 WC's held their is evidense that they'd be able to hold one now.

As good a job as Portigul did with euro 2004 they were pushing the limate of what would be sustainable as it is with one 66k stadium, two 50k ones and the rest 30k. For a WC they'd need to boost all but 2-3 above 40K and probabley build a new 75-80 k stadium aswell.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #7
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

Probably couldn't do it now, but I think by the 2020's Turkey could be a viable option. Growing economy and a growing passion for football. Also should be members of the EU by then. Don't really know what their current stadium situation is like.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #8
BobDaBuilder

The countries that I would like to see the World Cup staged.

Australia - we have managed to host every other World Cup/Olympics under the sun fairly well so why not.

Canada - In a similar position to Australia. Would do a great job.

England - Quite simply the home of the game and have the facilities and support in place.

Russia - One day, maybe when they finally figure out how a country is supposed to run and not as a despotic anarchic state.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #9
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4634

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalfactor
mexico was the first country to hold the world cup twice n probably the only one
Italy (1934 and 1990), and France (1938 and 1998) allready hosted WC twice. Germany (1974 and 2006) will host it twice soon.

About Portugal: of course, Portugal get stadium. It is necessary but not enough: Portugal needs more accomodations and transportations to bid for WC. I think Portugal is too small to host WC alone: a comon bid with Spain or Morocco should be a better way.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #10
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Greece is fully capable as proven by the Olympic games and it already has the infrastructures needed. 1-2 new stadiums could be built and greece has plenty of accomodation due to its high level of tourists anyway.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Greece cannot and should not host a WC, we have neither the stadiums nor the need for the stadiums required. It's like double that of a Euro in every way, it would be a huge waste. I mean we can host it in the sense we can do it, but it would not be smart at all. Smaller countries have no business hosting alone, only joint bids for the WC.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Loopy70

love those crazy looking stadiums in Portugal!

i think that would be a fine venue
Loopy70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #13
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy70
love those crazy looking stadiums in Portugal!

i think that would be a fine venue
They're nice looking stadiums but they're too small.

All but three of them have a capacity of 30,000, two have 50,000 and one has 65,000. And there is no need, with regard to long term use (as opposed to the requirements of the World Cup for a period of five weeks), for increased capacity at any of them.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #14
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
Greece cannot and should not host a WC, we have neither the stadiums nor the need for the stadiums required. It's like double that of a Euro in every way, it would be a huge waste. I mean we can host it in the sense we can do it, but it would not be smart at all. Smaller countries have no business hosting alone, only joint bids for the WC.
I agree. I wouldnt like Greece to host it anytime soon, although with the private stadiums being planned it may be easier. The question is which countries could host it, Greece could, but it wouldnt be very wise. Id love to see Italy-Greece joint bid.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:52 AM   #15
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

Joint UK Bid

New Anfield - Liverpool (61,000)

Wembley - London (90,000)

St James' Park - Newcastle (52,200)

Old Trafford - Manchester (68,000)

Celtic Park - Glasgow (60,000)

Murrayfield - Edinburgh (67,500)

Millennium Stadium - Cardiff (74,500)

Other options include- Emirates Stadium, Stamford Birdge, City of Manchester Stadium, Ibrox, Villa Park (or a new stadium in Brum)
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM   #16
Tancred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
Australia - we have managed to host every other World Cup/Olympics under the sun fairly well so why not.
Having been to few international football tournments I dont think Australia is ready to host a world cup, and I'm not sure we will be in the near future. FIFA requires 8 stadiums, seating 40,000. FIFA also usually allow only one city to use two stadiums.

I really doubt FIFA would give the world cup to a country using cricket grounds to host many of the games.

At the moment only 3 cities are ready.
Brisbane - Suncorp 52,500
Sydney - SFS - 42,000
Sydney - Homebush 83,500
Melbourne - MCG 100,000 (though a poor stadium for watching football)
Melbourne - Docklands 50,000 (I would hope for the WC, the seats would be moved in)

Thats 5 stadiums. Others could be expanded, but would they?
Canberra - Bruce stadium 25,000
Newcastle - EnergyAustralia 26,000
Adelaide - Hindmarsh 16,500
Perth - MES 17,500
Townsville 24,800
Tancred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 06:18 AM   #17
dewback

Mexico could host the World Cup for a third time, but it needs to revamp most of the minor stadiums. The beautification of them could be very helpful.
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM   #18
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Serbia & Montenegro could do it...maybe with a joint bid with other, ex-Yugoslavian countries?
Kommandant Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM   #19
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancred
Having been to few international football tournments I dont think Australia is ready to host a world cup, and I'm not sure we will be in the near future.
Why?...do you have any other reasons apart from stadiums?

Quote:
FIFA requires 8 stadiums, seating 40,000.
It's achievable

Quote:
FIFA also usually allow only one city to use two stadiums.
So they'll make an exception this once and allow two cities...btw if thats correct, then Englands bid is in trouble if you go by SSC forumers. They name 60-70% of their WC stadiums just in London(4), Manchester(2) and Liverpool(2).

Quote:
I really doubt FIFA would give the world cup to a country using cricket grounds to host many of the games.
If FIFA don't have a problem with stadia that have running tracks, then they definately won't have a problem with cricket grounds. The fans at cricket grounds are usually closer to the action due to the playing arena being alot smaller than a running track stadium.

I'm sure that I'll see the tournament in Australia one day but the biggest hurdle in Australia hosting a WC is the timing of it and whether they can secure the use these stadiums. In June/July they are in full use by the local football (afl/rugby) leagues.
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM   #20
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue

So they'll make an exception this once and allow two cities...btw if thats correct, then Englands bid is in trouble if you go by SSC forumers. They name 60-70% of their WC stadiums just in London(4), Manchester(2) and Liverpool(2).
No serious GB forumer has listed more than 2 stadiums for London in any list i have seen a general consensus being they would use Wembley (90k) and Emirates(60k). As for the other stadiums well they could be anywhere, England isnt exactly short of dedicated football stadiums.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics