daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM   #241
Adamonline
PEACE AND PROSPERITY

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwyn
You obviously don't know Melbourne.
LOL ... He obviously has been reading the Ray Martin guide to Melbourne. What Ray Martin offered by way of commentary during the Commonwealth games you could print on a postage stamp.

I stand by what I said, that Melbourne is and always has been the best city in Australia to hold major sporting events. Most things are close to the city and adjacent to major public transport infrastructure. There are numerous multi-purpose venues in the city that were not used during the Commonwealth Games which would be utilised in the event of staging a larger carnival.

There are three established Olympic specification rowing courses available - Patterson Lakes (20 km south of the city), Lake Nagambie (120 km north of the city) and the recently upgraded Lake Wendouree (In Ballarat (Australia's other Olympic City which hosted 1956 rowing and canoeing)).

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM   #242
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
Must you always post dicky comments?

Grow up.
thats rich coming from u? id rather not get started with u. enjoy ur day.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:10 PM   #243
Mo Rush

Quote:
You obviously don't know Melbourne. We have rowing, baseball, softball, equestrian venues. If all that is needed to build is another indoor arena and white water venue than thats far better then what Sydney had to build. I remember being more sceptical at Sydney when it won the bid in 1993 (it had virtually nothing), but it gave us an impressive games (I was a volunteer). Sydney does has more Olympic standard venues... mostly white elephants. Melbourne does not have that problem, we love our sport and would use these venues, though saying all this I would still not advocate Australia hosting a games until 2036.
in terms of sporting capital.melbourne is that...its 1996 bid was nothing else but poorly timed, especially with the business like manner of the atlanta bid, combined with athens trying to make a comeback. a melbourne bid for 2000 would have had the same result as the sydney bid..i.e. success in 2000, in terms of venues...one of the last cities who should be worried about sustainable sporting venues is melbourne, one certainly doesnt need to live there to know this ...that said sydney built many venues, melbourne would build even fewer permanent venues
Old April 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM   #244
Gecko1989

Likes (Received): 1

2016- Baghdad, but the us will bomb them during the games so...
2020- Tokyo, u should watch battle Royale, thats wats gonna happen there
2024- Dumascus, thats in Syria by the way, u dumas....cus
2028- Tel Aviv, hopefully the arabs are taken care of by then,
2032- Toronto, now owned by the US
2036- Paris, now also owned by the US
2040- No Games, World War III Us goes crazy and everyone dies xcept Us, Canada, and Isreal, yes Croatia dies too
2044- Chicago, first games where a black guy wins gymnastics ( hello were in Chicago, white man diedd before he ever got to the place)
2048- Montreal, French Rebellion stopped, gave them olympics to shut them up.
2052- Sydney, australia, They go WTF MATE! and make a small recovery as kangaroos after the war
2056- Freetown, Sierra Leone, kanye west frees all the black people from white diamonds
2060- Weird City, Mars, the world moves to mars cuz of WWIIII, ppl get pissed off at the states and finally leave. US says fine, and all die in a civil war.

this was writen by my friend max be nice to him
Gecko1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM   #245
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
hmmm....A bit rich when Sydney just hosted a succesful Olympics just 2 Olympiads ago..

For an Olympics,Melbourne would need
-a Rowing venue
-a whitewater venue
-Baseball/Softball venue or whatever replaces it
-another Indoor arena(You cant fit Basketball,Volleyball,Gymnastics,Tennis and Cycling into 2 venues).Sydney had 5 different venues to cater for these sports.
-Equestrian venue
-A larger swimming venue(10,000 just dont cut it for an Olympics)

Yes..Sydney would probably build a new Olympic Village and cut a few seats of Telstra Stadium,but saying that,Sydney has more Olympic standard venues in place currently than Melbourne.(obviously!)
what a moron.

sydney's olympic park is a fricken white elephant - except for the superdome of course - telstra stadium is a bleeder and hasnt made a dollar for any of its investors as its hardly used, and as for the rest of the palce, well the government havent got a clue what to do with it. there's been all sorts of proposals since the olympics in 2000 but it's still a ghost town.

what do expect when you build it in the middle of nowhere.
Dean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #246
dunwyn

To those who are serious about having your city host an Olympic games, check out the report from IOC that evaluated the 9 cities that submitted bids for the 2012 Olympics.

http://www.gamesbids.com/english/arc...arch2012.shtml

Click on IOC 2012 Acceptance Group Report for report on 9 bids.

Then click on IOC 2012 Evaluation Commission Report for report on final 5 bids.
dunwyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #247
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

2016 Bangkok!!!!................
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM   #248
Simon-maly

no no no ! Only WARSAW in 2020 year !
Simon-maly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:34 AM   #249
dunwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie
I think that from now on, only cities that deeply need the economic benefits of the Olympics should get the Olympics as a global humanitarian measure.

I mean, c'mon, does Paris, New York, etc. really NEED the Olympics?
Good idea but the cost of hosting an Olympics negates many cities from hosting the games. Economic benefits may not be realised for years later. Montreal for instance may still be paying for the costs of the 1976 games.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #250
Mo Rush

Quote:
Good idea but the cost of hosting an Olympics negates many cities from hosting the games. Economic benefits may not be realised for years later. Montreal for instance may still be paying for the costs of the 1976 games.
very true, i think many host cities go for the extravagant games, and they dont really integrate the games into the future plans of the city that well, in terms of using it to accelerate development, this is certainly something one can go on and on about but lessons need to be learned from athens and sydney and soon beijing and pay further attention to the barcelona model, that used the games as a catalyst instead of centering the future of the city around the games, they centred the games around the future of the city,i dont think cities are serious enough about this

example, paris a world class city, with many sports venues, world class stadia and so forth, proposed SEVEN temporary arenas called pavillions consisting of one cluster of six and another at roland gaross, this certainly cuts costs and can be dismantled and provide a legacy elsewhere or heck even be used in the industrial zone of the city, my point is a city like paris can certainly afford to build new venues but it didnt, then u see smaller cities with smaller budgets proposing new permanent venues left right and centre, and they wonder why they are left with white elephants

build temporary sports venues, relocate them after the games, build a mostly temporary olympic stadium if you have to, of course the situation is unique in each city but can cities really afford not to use this route? no pun intended
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #251
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
what a moron.

sydney's olympic park is a fricken white elephant - except for the superdome of course - telstra stadium is a bleeder and hasnt made a dollar for any of its investors as its hardly used, and as for the rest of the palce, well the government havent got a clue what to do with it. there's been all sorts of proposals since the olympics in 2000 but it's still a ghost town.

I get called a moron for simply stating the obvious...The question asked was that Melbourne was the best city in Australia equipped to host an Olympics..I simply stated the truth..and that truth is that Melbourne would need to build further venues to stage an Olympics..Where am I wrong on this??

Melbourne successfully stage a Commonwealth Games and suddenly it becomes the best city equipped to stage an Olympics??.....Get your facts straight and learn more about what is required to stage an Olympics.

Simply put..Sydney is currently better equipped to host an Olympics than Melbourne.
This is so friggin obvious that certain Melburnians have got their head so far up their ass it aint funny.
ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM   #252
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
Simply put..Sydney is currently better equipped to host an Olympics than Melbourne.
It's obvious that currently Sydney is the best equipped city facility wise seeing it just held the games six years ago, but I think you missunderstood the point (or maybe I have).

Because of 2000, Sydney have no chance of representing Australia the next time we decide to bid. That will come down to either Melbourne or Brisbane and atm Melbourne is so far ahead in world class facilities it's not funny. So keeping that in mind, Melbourne only need to build a handful of venues and therefore is the best equipped city in OZ to host the games.
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #253
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Do you think the venues Melbourne or Sydney have got now will matter in say 40 odd years time?? I don't think so...............
Wezza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #254
nOchAos
Happy now...

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean

I wouldnt call Sydney's Olympic Park a white elephant, well over 1 million people will be visiting over Easter for the Royal Easter Show alone then there are another 3 major events just for April not including the show. An additional hotel is to be built, 50,000 sqm of new office buildings are under construction, 679 new apartments under construction.

As for being in the middle of nowhere, being smack bang in the geographical centre of Australia's largest city, with a direct rail link and excellent transport systems it really is at the heart of Sydney and only going to increase in importance over time.
nOchAos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #255
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Dubai for me should be 2016
pompeyfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #256
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

I dont think Asstralia will get the olympics in a while, prob after 5 games or so. I think we all need to see how India hosts the commi's in 2010, maybe if they pull it off well they can have a good chance of hosting the games. I think when Dubai's sports city complex in ready, they stand a bloody good chance of hosting it!

But dont write off Durban, South Africa...see my design! click in the link below

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #257
dunwyn

Hope all goes well with the World Cup 2010. Check out the link I previously stated, and work out what Durban, Cape Town, or Johannesburg needs to host a Olympics (South Africa will host an Olympics!).

There are differences with hosting the Football World Cup as apposed to hosting the Olympics. The World Cup is one sport over 1-2 months. The Olympics are a concentration of 28+ sports mainly in one city for about 2 weeks (It's more complicated!).

When I was at Sydney there was a few times where 200,000 were leaving Olympic Park while another 200,000 were entering. An excellent public transport system is but one of the keys to hosting a excellent games. It helps to have this infrastructure built even before bidding. This was one of the reasons why Rio de Janeiro was not selected for the final 5.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #258
Mo Rush

Quote:
Hope all goes well with the World Cup 2010. Check out the link I previously stated, and work out what Durban, Cape Town, or Johannesburg needs to host a Olympics (South Africa will host an Olympics!).

There are differences with hosting the Football World Cup as apposed to hosting the Olympics. The World Cup is one sport over 1-2 months. The Olympics are a concentration of 28+ sports mainly in one city for about 2 weeks (It's more complicated!).

When I was at Sydney there was a few times where 200,000 were leaving Olympic Park while another 200,000 were entering. An excellent public transport system is but one of the keys to hosting a excellent games. It helps to have this infrastructure built even before bidding. This was one of the reasons why Rio de Janeiro was not selected for the final 5.
hey thanks for the advice..ive read almost every IOC report lol and evaluation so ive structured many ideas for cape town around that...and ive been on gamesbids.com for about 9months or more im not sure...fully understand what u mean about dealing with a large capacity of people, the world cup is certainly not as intensive as an olympic games..however its a great start for any city,

i cud right a thesis about the 26 sports in 17 days but im sure u know all about that...one of the first steps of bidding is getting the city right...birmingham, manchester failed and london won..brisbane and melbourne failed...each time a city bids it costs a lot of money...i believe cape town is the right choice without a doubt, but some may disagree...
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #259
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Mo eats, breathes & sh*ts olympics. I think we should see CT getting it just for Mo's sake. As I said before I cant imagine what will happen to Mo if CT looses its bid AGAIN!

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #260
Marcio4Ever
Ohh Yeah!

Likes (Received): 390

PAN 2007 in RIO.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Marcio4Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics