daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #461
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Complimentary? If Australia loses it's bid for 2022, then we will try for 2026, this time with far more greater infrastructure and modern world class stadiums in place.

Our toughest competitor will be China, considering it's unlikely the other Asian nations bidding for 2022 will get it. Even then we will present a far superior bid than what we're proposing for 2022.

Should China do the unthinkable and win 2026, then 2034 will be Australia's time to shine!

You expect Burlington, Vermont over Quebec, Canada? That's absurd, if they were to bid against one another then we know that Quebec is far superior. Don't even expect Burlington to even be considered as the USOC bid for a Winter Olympics, not for a very long time (or when all other possible bidding cities including the likes of Bozeman Montana, Boise Idaho, and Honolulu Hawaii, have been considered).
Burlington is one of the best small size city's in the US Northeast if not the country. Why does it have to beat out Quebec City to win? Who knows for sure but I think it is more it is more likely the US will get a winter games before Canada gets another one so its not a question of X US City vs. Quebec City.

Was Lillehammer a better city or town then many others who didn't get a games or perceived to have thrown as good as a games? Unlike the the summer games the stature size of a city isn't as parimount.

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #462
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

some quick shots of Burlington, Vt.

I don't know if fthe people of Burlington would care to hold a games or if it will ever be selected but I do know it would make a quality host deserving of a chance.

Last edited by nomarandlee; March 14th, 2010 at 05:33 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #463
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Well a Burlington-Lake Placid bid is better than an Albany-Lake Placid bid, even if it is different states, that doesn't matter.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #464
PejatBR

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensmith View Post
No World Cup in Europe for 24 years
No Olympics in Europe for 28 years
lol i know,its certanly a impossible list, but that is what i want
PejatBR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #465
xTeVe
I'm from Cali ve!!

Likes (Received): 315

FIFA WC

2026 - Colombia

Quote:
South America Round Up - Warner Suggests Colombia 2026 World Cup Bid

FIFA President Jack Warner on his inspection visit to Colombia this week

Warner Backs Colombia bid

FIFA vice president Jack Warner has suggested Colombia puts itself forward as a candidate for the 2026 World Cup finals.

Warner declared himself impressed while visiting the country to inspect its preparations for the Under-20 World Cup, which it is hosting next year.

"I am very impressed the way Colombia prepares for the U-20 World Cup, especially security wise,” said Warner.

“All the work for this World Cup could be used as a preparation for the 2026 World Cup. Brazil will host the 2014 World Cup, but twelve years later the World Cup will return to South America and I think Colombia will then be totally prepared to organize the World Cup. "

Colombia was originally awarded the 1986 finals, a controversial decision that FIFA backtracked on in early-1983 amidst grave concerns about the country’s security and readiness for the finals. Instead Mexico stepped in, pipping the United States to become the first country to host two tournaments.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #466
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Habana, Cuba would be nice considering Cuba strong tradition at the olympics its the latin american country that has won the most olympic medals by far. Plus Habana is a very pretty colonial city and it would the first olympics in the caribbean.
corredor06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #467
Lord David

The problem with Havana is the dated infrastructure, they would have to do a lot of new sports venues, venue reconstruction and transportation upgrades to convince the IOC they're good enough to make it into the Candidate phase.

Having a moderately modern airport is not enough.
Refurbishing the track at the Estadio Panamericano is not enough, can it even be upgraded to a minimum of 65,000? (Yes, 60,000 is the minimum, but I can easily expect organizers wanting to have a 5,000 card section at one part of the stands and with proper seats, a video screen or two, the skyboxes, concessions, new toilets etc).

And there's the transport problem. Having an extensive and efficient bus service might not be enough, I'd probably want to propose a subway linking the Olympic Park with Downtown Havana and other venue clusters.

They lost their bids for 2008 and 2012 for good reason. I'd propose for them to attempt another bid for 2020, make the infrastructure upgrades (They will not make the Candidate phase, but all proposed infrastructure developments should be underway, for a potential 2nd bid for 2024, which they would have a better chance of making the cut).

Last edited by Lord David; March 15th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #468
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
The problem with Havana is the dated infrastructure, they would have to do a lot of new sports venues, venue reconstruction and transportation upgrades to convince the IOC they're good enough to make it into the Candidate phase.

Having a moderately modern airport is not enough.
Refurbishing the track at the Estadio Panamericano is not enough, can it even be upgraded to a minimum of 65,000? (Yes, 60,000 is the minimum, but I can easily expect organizers wanting to have a 5,000 card section at one part of the stands and with proper seats, a video screen or two, the skyboxes, concessions, new toilets etc).

And there's the transport problem. Having an extensive and efficient bus service might not be enough, I'd probably want to propose a subway linking the Olympic Park with Downtown Havana and other venue clusters.

They lost their bids for 2008 and 2012 for good reason. I'd propose for them to attempt another bid for 2020, make the infrastructure upgrades (They will not make the Candidate phase, but all proposed infrastructure developments should be underway, for a potential 2nd bid for 2024, which they would have a better chance of making the cut).
More than that they will actually have to produce a bid that shows that they have actually bothered to glance at the IOC requirements.

Their bids have just been plain lazy.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #469
Lord David

Like Andorra's for 2010? :P

Oh right, like the one for 2008 (or was it 2012?), where they say their Estadio Olimpico will be 60,000, but on the chart it's states that it's 35,000. Or that the Latin American stadium will host Ceremonies at it's 50,000 capacity.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #470
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Melbourne 2028

I think Melbourne 2028 would be a good option but I think there'd need to be changes.

MCG Upgrade - 130 000 up to 145 000(standing_
Etihad Upgrade - 80 000
MRS Upgrade - 55 000
Brand New Stadium - 35 000
New Aquatic Centre
Wrestling/Boxing Centre Permanint.
Rowing Facilities.
Equastrian Course and Archery tobe built close to the city. (Docklands) Parkland?

These are just suggestions and would cost billions. Not to mention a PT overhaul.
Solopop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #471
Lord David

Silly suggestions.

MCG is fine as is, Etihad is fine as is, MRS does not need an upgrade anytime soon.

Why would we build a 35,000 seat Aquatics Center? London is only building a 17,000 seat one, Chicago proposed a 17,000 seat one. It's not necessary.

Equestrian will remain at the iconic Werribee Equestrian Grounds, likely the same place for Archery.

The only major venue to be built will be the rowing course, there will not be needless nonsense upgrades.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #472
Solopop
Solopop

I said 35 000 new stadium

and a new aquatic centre different. I don't give a shit if it's necessary it's what I want and would be cool.

I'd love to see people acctualy know why it's the worlds sporting capital.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #473
Lord David

And why would we need a brand new 35,000 seat stadium?
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #474
Mo Rush

Melbourne needs a PT overhaul...are you for real?
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #475
Lord David

Public Transport? We have a good centralized rail network, the largest tram network in the world and numerous bus lines. All we need is station renovations (definitely one for Flinders Street), more trains (To the point that trains come every 10 minutes during off peak, and every 5 minutes during peak hours, if possible) and buses.
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #476
Solopop
Solopop

Is that a joke? Have to tried to catch a bus in peak hour.

I wait about 10 minutes and then it's packed terrible. Trams running along Glenferrie Rd. is terrible they come every 20minutes and they're packed. We need an overhaul. And yes I want Melbourne to have those it's be cool to have bigger stadiums so there are no fights over hosting something. It'd be cool aswell.
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #477
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Oh. my. god. I can't believe I am witnessing Solopop saying something negative about Melbourne!

Seriously though, come to the Gold Coast and you'll realise what good PT Melb has.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #478
Solopop
Solopop

It's shocking to me on the routes I catch.
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #479
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh. my. god. I can't believe I am witnessing Solopop saying something negative about Melbourne!

Seriously though, come to the Gold Coast and you'll realise what good PT Melb has.
even better...go to Cape Town.
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #480
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics