daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #101
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
There's a big difference between being biased and being a biased fanny. Commentators etc are supposed to be professional and objective, but John Motson is a an embarrassment. A total clown who commentates as if he is an idiotic fan. As for Ian Wright, a complete moron who made a fool of himself by taking a tantrum on live tv because England got beat. I was on the floor laughing at him, I couldn't believe I was watching a grown man acting in that manner. The English media/fans have no humility at all, no other country acts the way they do. That's is one of the main reason why everbody hates England and wants them to get beat. It's a shame, because they bring down all the decent English fans with them.

I reckon out of the 32 teams, England will have the most amount of football fans wanting them to get beat. If Turkey had qualified, Turkey would have been a close 2nd to England for the most hated country at the World Cup. Nobody likes you.
Yawn.

You're such a boring **** - trying to poison every thread with your anti English obsession.

Just for once, try to get a life and discuss something else. There's a good, wee laddie.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #102
bubomb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Yawn.

You're such a boring **** - trying to poison every thread with your anti English obsession.

Just for once, try to get a life and discuss something else. There's a good, wee laddie.
If you don't like it, don't read my posts. You are obsessed with me. Whenever I post, you appear from behind a corner. I am quite good looking though, but i'm not a crafty butcher, so i'm afraid you will have to try elsewhere.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #103
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
There's a big difference between being biased and being a biased fanny. Commentators etc are supposed to be professional and objective, but John Motson is a an embarrassment. A total clown who commentates as if he is an idiotic fan. As for Ian Wright, a complete moron who made a fool of himself by taking a tantrum on live tv because England got beat. I was on the floor laughing at him, I couldn't believe I was watching a grown man acting in that manner. The English media/fans have no humility at all, no other country acts the way they do. That's is one of the main reason why everbody hates England and wants them to get beat. It's a shame, because they bring down all the decent English fans with them.

I reckon out of the 32 teams, England will have the most amount of football fans wanting them to get beat. If Turkey had qualified, Turkey would have been a close 2nd to England for the most hated country at the World Cup. [B]Nobody likes you.

i think you'll find, braveheart, that the people who don't like us, the ones who really want us to fail (outside of our historic enemies, who everyone has a fair share of), aren't in it because john motson is a shit commentator (although i agree he is an absolute embarassment), they're in it because nearly all of them are from areas formerly under the control or influence of the british empire, areas subject to english supremacy, or places in which there's english ancestory. put simply: they have an inferiority complex, and sport may be one of only a few areas in which they can get one over on us. i'm thinking: australia, scotland, wales, ireland... apart from that we're not really that hated. i've travelled throughout africa, india, southeast asia, and the americas - all regions in which i've come across locals proudly wearing english replica kits, enthusiastically talking about beckham, gerrard, lampard, and the lot.

if countries were going to be hated purely on the basis of their sporting attitudes then surely the aussies would be universally despised! i've never met a more ungracious bunch when it comes to sport! but do i preoccupy myself with their sporting failures? no. why? well why would i? it's only sport. who cares.

Last edited by Noostairz; December 30th, 2005 at 06:09 PM.
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #104
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs

i think you'll find, braveheart, that the people who don't like us, the ones who really want us to fail (outside of our historic enemies, who everyone has a fair share of), aren't in it because john motson is a shit commentator (although i agree he is an absolute embarassment), they're in it because nearly all of them are from areas formerly under the control or influence of the british empire, areas subject to english supremacy, or places in which there's english ancestory. put simply: they have an inferiority complex, and sport may be one of only a few areas in which they can get one over on us. i'm thinking: australia, scotland, wales, ireland... apart from that we're not really that hated. i've travelled throughout africa, india, southeast asia, and the americas - all regions in which i've come across locals proudly wearing english replica kits, enthusiastically talking about beckham, gerrard, lampard, and the lot.

if countries were going to be hated purely on the basis of their sporting attitudes then surely the aussies would be universally despised! i've never met a more ungracious bunch when it comes to sport! but do i preoccupy myself with their sporting failures? no. why? well why would i? it's only sport. who cares.
It's impossible to have an inferiority complex over the England football team. To have an inferiority complex, the opposition have to be highly successful. England and Spain are the two biggest flops in international football, so it certainly isn't an 'inferiority complex'.

As for the empire - Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales were part of the empire, Glasgow was the 2nd city of the empire, so we were not under English rule. We enjoyed the benefits of the empire just like England.

I'm afraid Britain got left behind a long time ago. It is now a poor place to live in and bring up children. Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Holland, USA, Canada etc are all far better countries to live in. I'm the last of my family left in the UK. I'm emigrating to Toronto in 6 months time. All my friends left the UK for better places. If you are intelligent and what to better yourself, then you leave the UK. The UK has nothing going for it. Poor transport, high crime, terrible health service, a generation of underclass scumbags (chavs/neds), high cost of living, shite weather etc. The UK is now just a big dumping ground for the worlds rubbish.

I'm afraid the UK stopped being the envy of the world on May 1945. if you travel a lot you will see how far the UK has fallen.

Last edited by bubomb; December 30th, 2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #105
Iain1974

Perhaps your, ahem, less than sunny disposition will lead you to moan about Canada too?
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #106
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Perhaps your, ahem, less than sunny disposition will lead you to moan about Canada too?

No, Canada's great. Amazing country. I'll be in Mountain Biking heaven. Toronto to start with, then make my way over to the west coast. You should visit Canada, best country I have been to. No scumbags at all. Just hard working decent folk.
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #107
Iain1974

Quote:
No, Canada's great. Amazing country. I'll be in Mountain Biking heaven. Toronto to start with, then make my way over to the west coast. You should visit Canada, best country I have been to. No scumbags at all. Just hard working decent folk.

I've been to Canada before. Nice place. I think your bigotry may well get you into trouble but who knows? Maybe you'll find some friends.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #108
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
I've been to Canada before. Nice place. I think your bigotry may well get you into trouble but who knows? Maybe you'll find some friends.
I already have friends and family there. I can't wait. I will miss Rangers, but thankfully Canada has a massive amount of Rangers fans over there, and Toronto has loads of huge Rangers supporters clubs.

http://www.narsa.ca/
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:00 AM   #109
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
Canada has no chance of ever getting realisticly but could probably host it.

Olympic Stadium (Montreal): 66,000+
Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton): 60,000+
BC Place Stadium (Vancouver): 60,000+
Rogers Centre (Toronto): 53,000+
Ivor Wynne Stadium (Hamilton): 30,000+
Canad Inns Stadium (Winnipeg): 30,000+
Frank Clair Stadium (Ottawa): 29,000+

Exclude the Last Three Stadia from your list - capacity needs to be at least 40,000. Additionally exclude Montreal - by the time a theoretical opportunity for Canada holding the world cup comes Quebec will have left.
The last three have all seen additional seating been brought in. I know Hamilton had about 5,000 additional seats brought in on one side to support seating for a (long ago) Grey Cup Game. The other side didn't, but could support it if the need was there. Ottawa has done the same, but to a lesser degree as they don't host as major events but could. No Clue about Winnipeg, but from the pics they could probably.

Actually, Montreal will pretty much be with Canada for the long haul. The last time was close, but still over 50% wanted to stick with it, higher in urban areas, so I think Quebec will still with us. We've made it this far, and the future only seems better.

Quote:
I totally disagree - having a World Cup in one country makes it much more of an event, with a much greater sense of occasion
I think it would be better if they spread it all over. Even if all the games were all in Europe I still think it would make the event more of a "world". If every team has at least one game in their home country, I think it would make the fans more into what's happening instead of just focusing the excitement in one country.

Btw, welcome to TO.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM   #110
Carter
Custom User Title.

Quote:
I think it would be better if they spread it all over. Even if all the games were all in Europe I still think it would make the event more of a "world". If every team has at least one game in their home country, I think it would make the fans more into what's happening instead of just focusing the excitement in one country.
Absolutely not, a world cup can be hosted by two nations but not by 30 nations. It would look too much like a qualification round for the end tournament.
Canada could host it though, and it's the only probable way for Canada to ever qualify for a World Cup.

I saw them play at the WC under 20 in the Netherlands and I was not impressed.
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:20 PM   #111
AndyKane

I agree with bubomb (for once) in that a country with a small size should host the WC. If you look at USA '94, most of the stadia were in the east or central parts of the country.

It would be nice to see my homeland (Scotland) get the WC, but I have realised that is all but a fantasy.

Even though Brazil are the dominant force in Central and South America, it would be good to see Argentina, Uruguay or Chile host the WC.

And as for an African WC, South Africa is the only real option, but if Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria put in a joint bid, then all that would be needed is one more stadium to be renovated in one of the countries. I know this view contradicts what I have already said about small countries, but I don't actually give a s**t now.

Last edited by AndyKane; December 31st, 2005 at 01:42 PM.
AndyKane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:56 PM   #112
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKane
I agree with bubomb (for once) in that a country with a small size should host the WC. If you look at USA '94, most of the stadia were in the east or central parts of the country.

It would be nice to see my homeland (Scotland) get the WC, but I have realised that is all but a fantasy.

Even though Brazil are the dominant force in Central and South America, it would be good to see Argentina, Uruguay or Chile host the WC.

And as for an African WC, South Africa is the only real option, but if Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria put in a joint bid, then all that would be needed is one more stadium to be renovated in one of the countries. I know this view contradicts what I have already said about small countries, but I don't actually give a s**t now.
It invalidates your argument wheather you give a **** about it or not.

Argentina and Chile have both hosted the WC more resently than brazil aswell.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM   #113
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
Canada could host it though, and it's the only probable way for Canada to ever qualify for a World Cup.

I saw them play at the WC under 20 in the Netherlands and I was not impressed.
Ya, Canada never has prided itself as a soccer nation. Hockey and Lacrosse for sure. I doubt it will ever bid for the World Cup b/c there wouldn't be enough national support, everyone would rather go for the Commonwealth Games or the Olympics, you know something bigger and that would have a bigger impact on the nation. We always have a bunch of European teams come over during the off-season that do tours and I think that will be enough for the country.

The men's soccer teams had a run during the mids 90s when they were getting good, but then funding pretty much got cut and ever since they've fell completly in the rankings..

The women's teams have done really well compared to their male counterparts. Ranked 13 in the world, and when you consider how their funding pretty much is non-existant they've done pretty good for themselves. Even finished second in the U20 2002, which I saw a few games of while in Vancouver.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:12 AM   #114
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Next 12 cities to get Olympics...

which should they be?..Yes, we are talking all the way into 2060......If this thread should go somewhere else just move it I guess.......

1. Chicago
2. Bunos Ares
3. Cape Town
4. Bangkok
5. Paris
6. Toronto
7. Rio
8. Instabul
9. New York
10. Singapore/Hong Kong/
11. Warsaw (or other major east European city)
12. San Fran
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:17 AM   #115
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I'll probably be dead, so I wouldn't care
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM   #116
Tina From Taihape
AUCKLAND

I would love to see the Olympics in Rio but I also think that an African city should host the Olympics - which one ? God only knows.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM   #117
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

How about Dubai

Anyway, I doubt that HK will host the Olympics! There's no more place to construct stadiums and stuff.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #118
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Chicago/ NYC
Cape Town
Buenos Aires/Rio
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #119
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
How about Dubai

Anyway, I doubt that HK will host the Olympics! There's no more place to construct stadiums and stuff.
If Hong Kong was to bid for the Olympics, the only space they might be able to find might be underwater. Although that'd be really cool.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM   #120
cianobuckley

Likes (Received): 17

At the end of the day the olympics are good the world cup is great!
cianobuckley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics