daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #101
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbaze tabarestan View Post
its ok cause u were grown up in western society!
personally i would prefer no segretion but as i said many older people are religiouse and need this!the younger people espcially in tehran dont use this!
but it will change not by force but with modernisation of society and urbanisation of iran!
iran is progressing!
by now many in the society 50%are conservative religiouse(my estimate)
in tehran its different!but tehran is not all iran and u cant make extra rules for tehran!
so u have to wait for the other citys to progress!

You said many things and I think I could say quite a lot about them lol.

To play a fair game, I cannot claim that I speak for Iran and its people having never been there. The most direct evidence I have of Iran are my persian friends in Vancouver. From what I understand we have the second largest persian community in North America after Beverly Hills.

In my experience those people in Vancouver from Iran are not nearly as conservative as most westerners would probably presume. Not so many iranians here are conservative in their religious views. Many of them came here partly because of political reasons to begin with; it's also been suggested that North Vancouver is a popular choice of location for Tehranis, as the North Shore mountains are thought to resemble the Alborz Mountains north of Tehran, both in appearance (particularly during winter) and their geographical orientation in relation to the city.

The vast majority of the Iranian youth I have met in Vancouver, in particular the males, are to be honest, atheist, having left Islam completely, or there are quite a few Persian zoroastrians and baha'is. Among the older generation the situation can be different, but I have rarely, if ever, see an ultra conservative Iranian in Vancouver. The vast majority of muslims adhering to rules of Hijab in Vancouver are either Arab, Black, or Indonesian, and these people are also quite few in number as there are not nearly as many people from the Arab world or Africa in Vancouver.

Where is the point in this long, and likely excessive, speech? When I put together the stories and pictures of Iran I hear from the many Iranians I know in Vancouver, I feel that the Islamic Revolution was essentially an adtempt to make the Iranian people into something they are not. Islamic? Fine sure. But Persian identity is so strong in the culture, that completely arabicizing the public is just not a reasonable expectation. Where else but in Iran did they manage to stop arabic from spreading further east? Arabic came from the Arabian Pennisula (and possibly mixed with northern variants in the Levant to form Modern Standard Arabic), and reached as far as Morrocco to the west, and yet only went as far east as iraq. The distance from Mecca to Iran is maybe 1200 km at most (??guessing a little on this one) and yet the Persian language survived. Obviously these things you know, but it is quite profound to me.

The world is a rapidly changing place with everything condensing together on the internet. It's time to adapt and change, and avoid falling behind. I don't think anyone "needs" to be segraggated, they are just very used to it. It's like jumping in to a pool of cold water: very shocking for about 10 seconds, then it's not so bad anymore, and in a few minutes you like it better than when you weren't in the pool.

Last edited by Daguy; October 12th, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #102
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Every time I look through a thread about Iran I'm very impressed with what I see. This looks like a very good, clean and modern metro system. Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
It is the concept of having segregated areas in a public place that concerns a westerner like myself, and the obvious adtempt to police morality.
That's not necessarily the case, it can be just as much about helping women feel comfortable and safe on public transport. Of course there are religious reasons for this here, but if the vast majority of people are Muslims then why not cater for their needs? I presume all other carriages are mixed? Also, for various reasons some women may not want to get on a metro carriage full of men and would welcome women only carriages. It's not that uncommon a practice; some trains in Japan and Taiwan trains have women only cars.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #103
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
You said many things and I think I could say quite a lot about them lol.

To play a fair game, I cannot claim that I speak for Iran and its people having never been there. The most direct evidence I have of Iran are my persian friends in Vancouver. From what I understand we have the second largest persian community in North America after Beverly Hills.
visit iran and go to tabriz ,sahedan,qom,mashad,isfahan,shiraz,ahwaz,tehrans south...
In my experience those people in Vancouver from Iran are not nearly as conservative as most westerners would probably presume. Not so many iranians here are conservative in their religious views. Many of them came here partly because of political reasons to begin with; it's also been suggested that North Vancouver is a popular choice of location for Tehranis, as the North Shore mountains are thought to resemble the Alborz Mountains north of Tehran, both in appearance (particularly during winter) and their geographical orientation in relation to the city.

The vast majority of the Iranian youth I have met in Vancouver, in particular the males, are to be honest, atheist, having left Islam completely, or there are quite a few Persian zoroastrians and baha'is. Among the older generation the situation can be different, but I have rarely, if ever, see an ultra conservative Iranian in Vancouver. The vast majority of muslims adhering to rules of Hijab in Vancouver are either Arab, Black, or Indonesian, and these people are also quite few in number as there are not nearly as many people from the Arab world or Africa in Vancouver.
as you said most came bacause of political reasons and do not represent iranians in iran
Where is the point in this long, and likely excessive, speech? When I put together the stories and pictures of Iran I hear from the many Iranians I know in Vancouver, I feel that the Islamic Revolution was essentially an adtempt to make the Iranian people into something they are not. Islamic? Fine sure. But Persian identity is so strong in the culture, that completely arabicizing the public is just not a reasonable expectation. Where else but in Iran did they manage to stop arabic from spreading further east? Arabic came from the Arabian Pennisula (and possibly mixed with northern variants in the Levant to form Modern Standard Arabic), and reached as far as Morrocco to the west, and yet only went as far east as iraq. The distance from Mecca to Iran is maybe 1200 km at most (??guessing a little on this one) and yet the Persian language survived. Obviously these things you know, but it is quite profound to me.
dont mix beeing muslim with supporting arabs and denying persian language and idendity!

The world is a rapidly changing place with everything condensing together on the internet. It's time to adapt and change, and avoid falling behind. I don't think anyone "needs" to be segraggated, they are just very used to it. It's like jumping in to a pool of cold water: very shocking for about 10 seconds, then it's not so bad anymore, and in a few minutes you like it better than when you weren't in the pool.
and again its for those who want it.......
iran is not that extreme muslim what the fox news want to show
neither its beverly hills millionairs club persians!
what i want to say is that many iranians are religiouse and my estimates are that 50% believe in islam,its prophets and pray more or less
and even the other 40 %have conservative point of views !
dont judge iran bye tehran its in no way representing iran!
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #104
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

In Iran major cities have a more liberal population, like anywhere else and like U.S.
Most major U.S. cities are more liberal like New York, L.A., San Fran etc but smaller cities are more conservative and it's the same case in Iran, Tehran is more liberal as well as Shiraz or other big cities.

In my opinion Tehran can represent Iran very well since it has a mixture of both conservative and liberals there.
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #105
niroohawaii
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Wonderfully advanced slick metro system in place. I congratulate the leaders of Islamic Republic of Iran for this meticulously done job.

Can they plan to reduce the load on the trains? Its so packed it may be attacked by ill wishers from certain nations.
niroohawaii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #106
niroohawaii
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Daguy let's face it there is more to the world than just the Western world where promiscuity and nudity is amply available. No where in the world except the western world is a sane person supposed to tolerate such insanity, of course with permeating western media promoting such lascivious behaviour and colonialization, many countries have succumbed to western lewd customs.

However many countries still retain their dignity and that has always been the case. You should not try to judge a country or its customs through the lenses worn by a westerner for such lenses dont allow you to see far, western society itself being a very recent arrival in relative terms.
niroohawaii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #107
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitezar View Post
In Iran major cities have a more liberal population, like anywhere else and like U.S.
Most major U.S. cities are more liberal like New York, L.A., San Fran etc but smaller cities are more conservative and it's the same case in Iran, Tehran is more liberal as well as Shiraz or other big cities.

In my opinion Tehran can represent Iran very well since it has a mixture of both conservative and liberals there.
tehran is really divided a liberal north and a conservative south
but tehransconsercatives are in no way equall to sahedani,tabrizi,baboli sanandaj konservativs!
but i agree that as urbanized the citys are the more liberal they are!look at us east and west coast and look at george w hillbillys from mid west....
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #108
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niroohawaii View Post
Wonderfully advanced slick metro system in place. I congratulate the leaders of Islamic Republic of Iran for this meticulously done job.

Can they plan to reduce the load on the trains? Its so packed it may be attacked by ill wishers from certain nations.
goh khordan rahbara!10 sal leftesch dadan---baba koja hasti to!
in haschemiye bedarsukhte enghadar dosdid ke .......
metro ham daste pesare bimokhesch ke mkre las vegas million kharj mikone...
pule nafte maro khordan yek metro misazan bah bah mikoni!
haghemun as in bishtare░!
bebin man mikham aberuye iraniharo joloye kharije ha hesf konam baraye hamin nemiam aks haye narahatkonande wa videohaye badbakhtbicharehaye irani ro post konam!
ama siad hastan dar iran......
be in rahbaraye azizet begu awal in faghr ro as beyn bebaran
dosdhaye bishakhsiat
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #109
plottigat
pic related

Likes (Received): 2190

Quote:
Daguy let's face it there is more to the world than just the Western world where promiscuity and nudity is amply available. No where in the world except the western world is a sane person supposed to tolerate such insanity, of course with permeating western media promoting such lascivious behaviour and colonialization, many countries have succumbed to western lewd customs.

However many countries still retain their dignity and that has always been the case. You should not try to judge a country or its customs through the lenses worn by a westerner for such lenses dont allow you to see far, western society itself being a very recent arrival in relative terms.
I'd really like to answer to posts like this, but I don't want to turn an interesting thread into another flame.

@sarbaze tabarestan Thank you very much for your pics, please go on.
If I got it right, some stretches of line 4 are still under costruction. Do you know who's building it? Any pics of the works?

Maybe next summer I'll see Tehran's metro. If I'll be able to convince my girlfriend, of course
plottigat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #110
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Where in my post did I mention promiscuity and nudity? I was talking about people sitting together in a subway car.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #111
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plottigat View Post
I'd really like to answer to posts like this, but I don't want to turn an interesting thread into another flame.

@sarbaze tabarestan Thank you very much for your pics, please go on.
If I got it right, some stretches of line 4 are still under costruction. Do you know who's building it? Any pics of the works?

Maybe next summer I'll see Tehran's metro. If I'll be able to convince my girlfriend, of course
your welcome!i hope u will go to iran with ur girlfriend and u will have a nice time!
i tryto findsome pics of the work,but all i know is that some stations will open till 21.3.2009 and the others will finish 21.3.2010
work on line nr 7 has begun
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #112
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

soon we will hear some good news only waiting for confirmation by any newspaper

Last edited by sarbaze tabarestan; October 16th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #113
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

by*
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #114
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Old October 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #115
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

When will the Qeytarieh and Tajrish lines open?
It will make life so much easier for people North of Tehran to connect to the Central Tehran.

They should not only buid the subway in Central Tehran they should expand it to the Northern areas, especially along Vali Asr Street, I have not seen any lines planned there.
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #116
X38

Likes (Received): 22

I find it pretty weird that the women of the pictures posted in this thread are not wearing burkas! Ok, they are wearing head-covers and long black clothes, but no face-covers with only 2 little holes for the eyes.

And I'm pretty surprised by this thread at all! I did never imagine they had such a luxury subway system in a "poor" country like Iran! But I don't want to create new disputs .

This is not a thread in the political SSC-part...
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #117
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:

Bless you, man!
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #118
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
I find it pretty weird that the women of the pictures posted in this thread are not wearing burkas! Ok, they are wearing head-covers and long black clothes, but no face-covers with only 2 little holes for the eyes.

And I'm pretty surprised by this thread at all! I did never imagine they had such a luxury subway system in a "poor" country like Iran! But I don't want to create new disputs .

This is not a thread in the political SSC-part...
I believe you're being ironic, since this is clearly the image that most western governments want us to have of Iran. An image which, from what I've seen, couldn't be further from the truth.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #119
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I believe you're being ironic, since this is clearly the image that most western governments want us to have of Iran. An image which, from what I've seen, couldn't be further from the truth.
I repeat: i don't want to create new conflicts (in this thread).
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #120
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
I repeat: i don't want to create new conflicts (in this thread).
No doubt, I think we can all see that. Despite this, do try to be more informed and think for yourself more. Don't let the TV and media think for you. Iran is a thriving counry with kind people and is highly respected in the Middle East.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, tehran