daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #321
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

i need a appartment in this tower
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #322
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

I agree 600. This will be one of the best skyscrapers built in NY since the art deco gems were built. It's stunning.

And Kanto, you're entitled to your own opinion as to the aesthetics of the building, but this isn't a really prestigious spot. The neighborhood it's in, Tribeca, has seen some of the highest price increases in real estate in the city over the last several years, but at street level it doesn't look it at all, it's rather odd. I think prices have increased so much in such a short period of time, that street level retail and restaurants just haven't been able to keep up.

Tribeca is definitely getting there, and there are stretches along Church, or Varick or Hudson, that are very nice, but Tribeca is still very much a neighborhood that's a work in progress. By the time this building's done in 2016 I expect this neighborhood to be very different, for better or for worse.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #323
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

it's the next Beekman Tower, in both height and design.

Highcliff liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #324
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I don't like it because I don't like the irregularity of its shape

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #325
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I normally don't get involved in discussions on the esthetics of buildings.

But in this case Kanto I have to intervene and say either 1) you are confusing this with some other building or 2) you've lost your mind.

This will be one of the very few innovative designs in NYC - thank god for not just another glass box. I wish it were taller (don't I always) but of buildings built in the past 3 decades in NYC this is in the top 10 or maybe even top 5. In fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head that is as good is the Hearst building.
Ill go with #2 but trolling might a possibility too..
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #326
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I have to agree with kanto. I don't think its ugly and I'm happy it's being built, but this type of tower sucks. Breaking it up into random sections is just as lazy as building a box like 432. It isn't even a design. Great towers are memorable. Who can say they could remember and draw this after glancing at it? You can't. It's like trying to visualize a child's randomly constructed lego tower.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #327
eennyc

Likes (Received): 16

Its beautiful , because its different !!!!!!!!
eennyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #328
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

As innovative as this building is, I have to say it looks like crap. The massing is horrendous.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #329
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I normally don't get involved in discussions on the aesthetics of buildings.

But in this case Kanto I have to intervene and say either 1) you are confusing this with some other building or 2) you've lost your mind.

This will be one of the very few innovative designs in NYC - thank god for not just another glass box. I wish it were taller (don't I always) but of buildings built in the past 3 decades in NYC this is in the top 10 or maybe even top 5. In fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head that is as good is the Hearst building.
Kanto just has strange taste. He only seems to like boxy buildings, and one of his least favorite buildings is the Chrysler building. To each their own I guess, but I will never understand it. Buildings like 432 park are holding NY back design wise, buildings like this are incredible. I can't wait to watch this rise.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #330
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Kanto just has strange taste. He only seems to like boxy buildings, and one of his least favorite buildings is the Chrysler building. To each their own I guess, but I will never understand it. Buildings like 432 park are holding NY back design wise, buildings like this are incredible. I can't wait to watch this rise.
I think 432 park isnt holding ny back more like forward for its height..but the design yea i guess blah boring, but this one is different i didn't really like it but its growing on me lol are their any renders showing where it would be like from across the river looking onto lower manhattan?

1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #331
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
I think 432 park isnt holding ny back more like forward for its height..but the design yea i guess blah boring, but this one is different i didn't really like it but its growing on me lol are their any renders showing where it would be like from across the river looking onto lower manhattan?
Imagine Trump SoHo but with jagged edges and a few hundred feet higher and in Tribeca
also for a second there i thought we were talking about 432 park lol

Last edited by Hudson11; October 14th, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #332
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
NY isn't held back in any respect. The Hudson Yards towers, 56 Leonard, Torre Verre, 400 Park Ave. South, Mercedes House, the BIG Pyramid, 2 WTC, etc. are among the best and most innovative skyscrapers rising in the Americas and Europe. Within America itself no city remotely compares. Chicago, Boston, and Seattle are the only other US cities with much construction at the moment, and everything there is 500 foot boxes. Who knows what amazing supertalls will rise at 225 W 57th and at 42nd and Vanderbilt.

As the financial capital of the world, NY has an never-ending flow of skyscrapers.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #333
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
NY isn't held back in any respect. The Hudson Yards towers, 56 Leonard, Torre Verre, 400 Park Ave. South, Mercedes House, the BIG Pyramid, 2 WTC, etc. are among the best and most innovative skyscrapers rising in the Americas and Europe. Within America itself no city remotely compares. Chicago, Boston, and Seattle are the only other US cities with much construction at the moment, and everything there is 500 foot boxes. Who knows what amazing supertalls will rise at 225 W 57th and at 42nd and Vanderbilt.

As the financial capital of the world, NY has an never-ending flow of skyscrapers.
I was just saying that 432 Park is lacking in design. As far as construction in other cities, Chicago has some 200m buildings and a possible super tall, OKC just finished a 250m building, and Boston has some great proposals, but nothing is near NY's level right now.
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #334
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Imagine Trump SoHo but with jagged edges and a few hundred feet higher and in Tribeca
also for a second there i thought we were talking about 432 park lol
lol actually i wondered what 432 would look like from that angle to lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #335
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I acknowledged that Boston, Chicago, and Seattle are the other US cities with several towers under construction. However, I noted that, unlike NY -- which has many supertalls under construction or about to start construction -- those cities are building nothing but mundane, 500 foot boxes.

P.S.: Chicago has no supertalls planned. Wolf's Point's tallest tower, which is not a supertall, is years away -- if it's ever even built. 15 Penn, Manhattan West, and the supertall at One Hudson Yards will rise before that does. The Post Office Towers plan is not only hideous, but it will never be built.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 14th, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #336
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I have to agree with kanto. I don't think its ugly and I'm happy it's being built, but this type of tower sucks. Breaking it up into random sections is just as lazy as building a box like 432. It isn't even a design. Great towers are memorable. Who can say they could remember and draw this after glancing at it? You can't. It's like trying to visualize a child's randomly constructed lego tower.
You may or may not like this building, but saying it is a lazy design, are you sure?.
A building isn't just a sculpture, where you design or create an outer form. In a building, you have to design the inner space as well. In a regular boxy building you may design just a type plan and repeat it x number of times. But in the case of a building like this you have to design many different floor plans. I am not sure if each one of the 57 stories of this building are different, but at least half of them are, so they have to design at least like 30 different floor plans, so, lazy, it is not.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #337
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

It's a great design and an instant NYC icon. Herzog & de Meuron are no slouches when it comes to top notch design regardless of what detractors may think. There's plenty of room in New York for everyone's favorite architects to put up a skyscraper. And when the condo market come back full throttle, you'll all see what that means.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #338
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's a great design and an instant NYC icon. Herzog & de Meuron are no slouches when it comes to top notch design regardless of what detractors may think. There's plenty of room in New York for everyone's favorite architects to put up a skyscraper. And when the condo market come back full throttle, you'll all see what that means.
I look forward to Herzog & debMeuron's 400m+ contribution at 225 W 57th.
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #339
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28236

So do I, but I'll enjoy this one as well. I love this style.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #340
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
+1. besides, Kanto is always hating the buildings the majority loves, and loving all the buildings in the ugly building thread. Taste varies, but Kanto lost his taste buds.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
56 leonard, 56 leonard st., new york, nyc, tribeca