daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #941
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Wrong location by how much? 1 inch? 1 foot?
enough for the job to come to a complete stop, to get thrown off the job, and then sued.

j-biz liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #942

Likes (Received): 368

IMG_0058 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0060 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0061 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0062 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0064 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0065 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by thenumber99, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by thenumber99, on Flickr

From yesterday by me, looks like they are adding the balconies.
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #943
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
enough for the job to come to a complete stop, to get thrown off the job, and then sued.
Can you post your source please
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #944
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Can you post your source please
i can't.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #945
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2712

That is crazy! Haha Well I hope they get it sorted out soon.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #946
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
You are referring to the slow down last fall, right? Right now things look like they're moving forward...
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #947
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
You are referring to the slow down last fall, right? Right now things look like they're moving forward...
Yup I remember that slow down. Things seems to have been corrected and chugging along, but that is crazy though. Lol

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #948
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

The view from 1WTC:

Old April 30th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #949
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I always thought High Line's street view theather was a great idea, but this... this skyline theather is something else. I'd sit there all day, everyday.

Probably it could be used as movie theather as well just by closing the wall.
First time I see this, but that is very cool.
It should have a bar as well.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:03 AM   #950
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31677

Are they building something different from the renders? I thought all floors were supposed to have balconies. Maybe they eliminated the balconies after finding out the building was in the wrong place? Maybe the balconies were encroaching past the property or setback line?
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:08 AM   #951
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

The balconies are being added later. This is allowing them to use basically identical formwork to pour the concrete of each floor, saving them a ton of time. That's why this thing has be flying by ever since it got past the first few irregular floors.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:24 AM   #952
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
The balconies are being added later. This is allowing them to use basically identical formwork to pour the concrete of each floor, saving them a ton of time. That's why this thing has be flying by ever since it got past the first few irregular floors.
As a structural engineer, I am puzzled as how they would do this. If the cantilevered balconies are not a continuous extension of the interior slab,then they will need to be attached to the slab edge. It is difficult to tell from the pictures if there is a downturned or upturned beam at the perimeter to which the balconies would attach to - it looks to me like the slab is just thick, whithout any perimeter beams. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to attach to a member with such a shallow thickness. Further, you would see some embedded plates or other type of mechanical fittings for the connection of the balcony sub-structures to the edges of the floor plate - I see none.
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:34 AM   #953
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Well in these to pictures I have circled where they have/are building balcnoies; I understand what you mean though as they seem to be attaching the balconies to a flat surface of concrete to me...
Could you explain this technique now?

Before:

[IMG]http://i57.************/v6lms3.png[/IMG]

After:

[IMG]http://i58.************/4qpir5.png[/IMG]

The technique reminds me of the same used on my home cities station in Nottingham, where they have refurbished it; for some of the ornaments which they have taken on and put back on they have had to use a technique where a wooden frame is placed around it so that the 'ornament' sets into position; these frames have to be there for a year; the same technique seems to be applied to the balconies as they are being held in place for a while by the frames.

You can see the frames I was on about on the corners of the station here, the technique is Edwardian; from the early 20th century:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjs1982 View Post

This is the opposite side of the no entry sign published earlier - looks like cyclists will be allowed to leave Carrington Street onto Station Street but not the other way round

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

MarshallKnight, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by iamtheSTIG; May 1st, 2014 at 01:47 AM.
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:59 AM   #954
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Well in these to pictures I have circled where they have/are building balcnoies; I understand what you mean though as they seem to be attaching the balconies to a flat surface of concrete to me...
Could you explain this technique now?

Before:

[IMG]http://i57.************/v6lms3.png[/IMG]

After:

[IMG]http://i58.************/4qpir5.png[/IMG]

The technique reminds me of the same used on my home cities station in Nottingham, where they have refurbished it; for some of the ornaments which they have taken on and put back on they have had to use a technique where a wooden frame is placed around it so that the 'ornament' sets into position; these frames have to be there for a year; the same technique seems to be applied to the balconies as they are being held in place for a while by the frames.

You can see the frames I was on about on the corners of the station here, the technique is Edwardian; from the early 20th century:
I'm fairly certain these aren't balconies. They are just built out like that for easily transporting materials for construction from the crane. Look at the webcam for 432 park you will see at least one of these "balconies" at all times.

citybooster liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:20 PM   #955
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

Two towers:

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:44 PM   #956
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I'm fairly certain these aren't balconies.
I'm finding this confusing as well, now that I've given it a closer look. I was sure that, early on, we'd seen some kind of protruding brackets or rebar that would indicate where a balcony would be attached. But now I'm at a loss to spot one. Anybody have an eagle eye or some other idea about how that process is supposed to work?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:13 PM   #957
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

How about if they would simply crush the edge of the floorplate until they get to the rebars and then connect balcony to the structure there. I think I've seen such method used to connect floors to the core of the building.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #958
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Those are most likely being used to lift in or out large/heavy equipment. The I-beams are secured to the floor and provide a platform that is directly reachable by the tower cranes. Sometimes dumpsters are positioned on these platforms so that large amounts of construction scrap can be removed from the site quickly and loaded onto a waiting truck.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:30 PM   #959
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Imo it's definitely balcony construction. We can clearly see on many pictures that ibeams makes platforms on which stands steel pipes supporting either u/c or freshly build balcony.

What do you guys think about my "crushing" idea how they are constructed? Is it that ridiculous ?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ThatOneGuy liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:11 AM   #960
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

The bottom of the balcony slab should be in line with the bottom of the interior slab. We see that those platforms have steel plates over steel I-beams over the top of the interior slab. These are staging platforms, not balcony formwork.

In regards to patrykus idea of "crushing", if you are doing new construction, you would never want to go back and have to demolish [crush?] something to be able to continue the work. It is just unacceptable and unpractical from a construction and business perspective. You might as well pour the balconies in place with the interior slab if you have to go back and do significant demolition/preparation of the slab edge for the attachment of the balconies.

Tags
56 leonard, 56 leonard st., new york, nyc, tribeca