daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #41
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Newbie here on SSC with an interest in the Ireland threads. Thought this would be the most appropriate Ireland thread for me to say hi in although it's looking a bit heated (ie above) at the moment!..Nevertheless, hi!
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM   #42
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2051

Welcome
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #43
Beta29471

Hi niterider Welcome

I wont longer participate in this thread because I'm not Irish but you will be in the good hands of belfastuniguy who together with Gareth are an awesome pair of polite and intelligent guys well versed in any topic.

Welcome again and have a good time.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #44
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

Aww, thanks!
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #45
bfast1983

Likes (Received): 2

Last edited by bfast1983; January 6th, 2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: posted in wrong thread
bfast1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #46
937delta

Quote:
good hands of belfastuniguy who together with Gareth are an awesome pair of polite and intelligent guys well versed in any topic
Yes this thread is full of comedy, good one - ha ha ha ha ha!
937delta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #47
jb_nl

Likes (Received): 2151

hi guys, I was wondering: i don't see a northern irish forum over here. Are projects in this part being placed here on the Irish forum or on some kind of britisch subforum?

Because we were discussing whether northern Ireland should be Irish again or remain under Britisch occupation. And some parallels with the occupation of palestine:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=51415195
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #48
niterider
niterider

don't forget the 'occupation' of north america
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #49
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Because we were discussing whether northern Ireland should be Irish again or remain under Britisch occupation. And some parallels with the occupation of palestine:
Sorry................what?

For the record, the MAJORITY of people in Northern Ireland, whether they be Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or couldn't give a fuck currently support remaining as part of the United Kingdom. ALSO, the only ever time Ireland was united was ironically under British rule.

So clearly fuck off.

I'll be having a look at that thread and tearing it apart.....fucking foreigners thinking they know better than those ACTUALLY LIVING HERE.

Last edited by belfastuniguy; February 6th, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #50
Conor

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_nl View Post
hi guys, I was wondering: i don't see a northern irish forum over here. Are projects in this part being placed here on the Irish forum or on some kind of britisch subforum?
This is the NI sub forum

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1598

Why do so many people not realise there is an NI and ROI forum developments forum found within in the Ireland section???
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #51
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
Sorry................what?

For the record, the MAJORITY of people in Northern Ireland, whether they be Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or couldn't give a fuck currently support remaining as part of the United Kingdom. ALSO, the only ever time Ireland was united was ironically under British rule.

So clearly fuck off.

I'll be having a look at that thread and tearing it apart.....fucking foreigners thinking they know better than those ACTUALLY LIVING HERE.
Hope your dutch is good No need to go mental at the guy... "fucking foreigners" ...whats with this? Makes you sound more ignorant than him. He is foreign, so does not have a complete understanding of the situation... why not give it to him instead of throwing slurs, eh?

Obviously his comparison is way off, but it wouldnt have been only decades ago, britain was an occupying force, so give him a break... youre implication about the british "uniting" ireland is equally as tiresome...
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #52
niterider
niterider

lol this is going to be fun....
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #53
belfastuniguy
Subliving

British troops occupying part of the United Kingdom......logic fail much?

Sorry but the whole occupation of Northern Ireland is just absolute bullshit. It was a breakdown of civil order by two sections of the community that couldn't give a shit about the wider consequences and leached off genuine disenfranchisement and discrimination. The army was sent in to restore order, as it has occurred throughout history in many countries.

Yes their record is far from perfect, but then again no side can preach from some moral pedestal either.

He is foreign, don't see how identifying that fact is ignorant, and he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, he asked for an opinion on this thread, he got one.

Quote:
youre implication about the british "uniting" ireland is equally as tiresome...
It is however true no matter how much people dislike that fact or not. I don't exactly worship every aspect of the British involvement in Ireland, my postings on here have CLEARLY shown my adherence to fact. I couldn't give a shit if Ireland was to unite in the future, however on every occasion I have avoided bullshit and stated the facts as to the current prevailing opinion, backed by statistics.

If people don't like reality then they shouldn't bother commenting.

Last edited by belfastuniguy; February 8th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #54
odlum833

Likes (Received): 552

I don't think the British give a fcuk about the North anyway and would hand it over in the morning if they could.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #55
niterider
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I don't think the British give a fcuk about the North anyway and would hand it over in the morning if they could.
Ditto for those in the Republic I'd imagine.

But most in NI wish to remain in the UK, for now, so using the word 'occupation' is hardly true and somewhat provocative.
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #56
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
British troops occupying part of the United Kingdom......logic fail much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró...
britain was an occupying force, so give him a break...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniguy
He is foreign, don't see how identifying that fact is ignorant, and he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, he asked for an opinion on this thread, he got one.
No, he got a rant :P

"fucking foreigners" is as much a reflection on your ignorance as his, the misunderstanding goes both ways... you were just being rude about it, not to mention its one big brush. waffling now, I know you're not an ignorant guy, its just a stupid thing to say, I guess you were pissed off?

To try and keep OT I replied to the rest of your post in the political thread.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #57
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 3

So.. I'm very curious.. Has there been any discussion or thread about the issue of Shell in the west (of ireland, obviously)..

Its sort of shocking how there seems to be a general lack of awareness about this issue.. And how the media tries to sweep it under the carpet...

I'm curious how 'aware' or 'knowledgeable' about the issue you guys are...

B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:36 AM   #58
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 7

I don't even bother explaining to Canadians what the Republic is and what NI is. They just don't get it. I'll just direct them to wikipedia and be done with it.
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #59
Turko_Mehmet
BANNED

Quote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7009643.ece

Turkish farmers ‘fathered the Irish’ study shows

Turkish farmers fathered the Irish
Jan Battles

Iron age agriculture

The majority of Irish men are descended from farmers who came to the country 6,000 years ago, not from an older line of hunter-gatherers as previously believed, a study has found.

Researchers at Britains University of Leicester have discovered that 85% of Irish males are descendants of farmers who migrated to the country from Turkey and surrounding Mediterranean areas, bringing agriculture with them.

The information contradicts previous theories that suggested the primary genetic legacy of Irish males is from hunter-gatherers who survived in Spain and Portugal during the last Ice Age.

The researchers also found a different pattern in female genetic material, suggesting the farmers, when they arrived in Ireland, appealed to women more than the indigenous hunter-gatherers.

Patricia Balaresque, first author of the study, said: Most maternal genetic lineages seem to descend from hunter-gatherers. To us, this suggests a reproductive advantage for farming males over indigenous hunter-gatherer males during the switch to farming. Maybe, it was just sexier to be a farmer.

The study, funded by the Wellcome Trust, examined the diversity of the Y chromosome, which is passed from father to son. It focused on the most common lineage in Europe, which it found to be present in 85% of Irish men.

The authors used different lines of evidence to shape the latest theory: the pattern of distribution of the chromosomes lineage in men, the diversity within it, and estimates of its age.

These all suggested that the lineage spread with farming from the Near East. Jobling said: This particular kind of Y chromosome follows a gradient, gradually increasing in frequency from Turkey and the southeast of Europe to Ireland, where it reaches its highest frequency.

In Britain, the lineage trait is in 60%-65% of the population, and in parts of the Iberian peninsula its almost as high as in Ireland.

We are saying that most of that original hunter-gatherer male population in Ireland was probably replaced by incoming agricultural populations, said Jobling.

The invention of farming was perhaps the most important cultural change in the history of modern humans.

Increased food production led to the development of societies that stayed put, rather than wandering in search of food. This led to population explosions.

and

Quote:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/New...-83217437.html

New study claims that Irishmen descended from Turkish farmers
By
JANE WALSHE

IrishCentral.com Staff Writer
Updated Saturday, February 20, 2010, 10:27 PM
Read more: Ireland, Turkey, Biology, Genetics, Life Sciences, Sciences

This Irish sheep farmer has a good chance of getting lucky in love at this year's Matchmaking Festival in Ireland

A new study claims that Irish men descended from Turkish farmers

A new study has revealed that many Irish men may be able to trace their roots back to Turkey. Focusing on the role of the Y chromosome, which is passed from father to son, the research indicates Turkish farmers arrived in Ireland about 6,000 years ago, bringing agriculture with them. And they may have been more attractive than the hunter-gatherers whom they replaced.

The genetic patterns for Irish females differ from those of men. Most maternal genetic lineages seem to descend from hunter-gatherers, an author of the study, Patricia Balaresque, told the London Times. To us, this suggests a reproductive advantage for farming males over indigenous hunter-gatherer males during the switch to farming.

Maybe, it was just sexier to be a farmer, she added.

Eighty-five per cent of Irish men are descended from farming people from the Middle East and especially Turkey, according to the research that was conducted by scientists at the University of Leicester.

The switch from hunting and gathering to farming was a crucial one in human development. Increased food production meant that populations were able to grow.

In Britain, 60-65 per cent of the population has the Turkish genetic pattern, while in parts of the Iberian Peninsula its almost as the same as in Ireland. The research contradicts what was previously thought about Irish genealogy that hunter-gatherers from Spain and Portugal who survived the Ice Age were our main genetic ancestors.

This particular kind of Y chromosome follows a gradient, gradually increasing in frequency from Turkey and the southeast of Europe to Ireland, where it reaches its highest frequency, Mark Jobling from the University of Leicester told the Times.

We are saying that most of that original hunter-gatherer male population in Ireland was probably replaced by incoming agricultural populations, he added.
Turko_Mehmet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #60
Turko_Mehmet
BANNED

how you doin my brothers?
Turko_Mehmet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: