daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #461
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

It also doesn't show the Istanbul-Ankara line via Eskisehir. I therefore guess it's a map containing only the lines which China will finance?
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #462
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
As far as I know Turkey decided to produce Korean trains for its Istanbul-Ankara line. Now, after this deal, I guess they will adopt Chinese models in the future..?
Or perhaps they'll just say that they have established a domestic high speed train industry and won't need to import trains from China. After all, China is building high speed trains based on acquired foreign technology, and the Turks can say that they're following China's wise example.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #463
ghost rider
Ghost Rider

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
I dont believe this map is true because it doesnt show Ankara-Konya line. Or it is just a drawing mistake
I think it is a drawing mistake. The line goes inside Konya Center. But they had only shown the end of the line and it is Antalya. Because all the lines are being shown straight like metro station's maps.
ghost rider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM   #464
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Izmir

İZBAN

İzmir Commuter Train System

http://www.izmir.bel.tr/en/default.asp
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #465
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Well, they need to deal a lot with Turkey or eastern turkestan could turn more dramatic. It's a normal attempt.

Though this project is very small compared to the one that will connect Istanbul to Karachi in future.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #466
Alpos
Mandalorian User

Likes (Received): 2095

Suburban Rails

A lone man without family, without friends, he has made the
people of Turkey the heirs to his private possessions and to his
power.

He is Dictator in order that it may be impossible ever again
that there should be in Turkey a Dictator.
"
Alpos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #467
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Completion of Ankara - Konya high speed line is significant step

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...cant-step.html

Quote:
24 December 2010

TURKEY: The first passenger train on TCDD's new Ankara - Konya high speed line ran on December 17, marking another significant step in the country's rail development. International Affairs Director Ibrahim Ceslik says revenue services are expected to begin in early 2011, following the formal completion of the line at the end of 2010.

Ankara - Konya is the country's second line built for 250 km/h operation, following the opening of the Ankara - Eskisehir route in March 2009. Ceslik reports that construction of the new line between Eskisehir and Istanbul is around 50% complete. To the east of the capital, work on the first section of the direct line to Sivas is 30% complete; major structures such as tunnels and viaducts are taking shape, but installation of the railway superstructure has yet to begin.

At present TCDD only has 10 CAF-built 250 km/h trainsets acquired to operate the Ankara - Eskisehir route. More trains will be needed as the high speed network expands, and Ceslink said the operator was drawing up plans to order up to 48 additional trainsets.

The Turkish government has formally adopted a national railway development programme which will add 14503 km of new line in time for the centenary of the republic in 2023, at an estimated cost of US$45bn. A further 2434 km will follow by 2035, expanding the network from 11008 to 27947 route-km in 25 years. Of this, there will be 11998 km designed for operation at 250 km/h and above. The intention is that this will raise rail's market share to 15% in the passenger sector and 20% for freight.

Meanwhile, plans are taking shape for 30 new stations to serve the cities on the emerging high speed network, as part of an urban renewal programme. First will be the new station in Ankara, which is to be developed through a PPP concession. Tender documents are now being prepared, and TCDD expects to invite tenders in early 2011.
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #468
Messi
Tinerci Genēlik

Likes (Received): 2429

Yes, the second highspeed line Polatli-Konya has been completed and test drives began but somehow there aren't any picture so far.
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM   #469
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
The Turkish government has formally adopted a national railway development programme which will add 14503 km of new line in time for the centenary of the republic in 2023, at an estimated cost of US$45bn. A further 2434 km will follow by 2035, expanding the network from 11008 to 27947 route-km in 25 years. Of this, there will be 11998 km designed for operation at 250 km/h and above.
That's bloody impressive!! The French press is currently bellyaching over the fact that the Spanish HS network is now longer than France's (following the opening of the new line to Valencia) - at around 2,000 km. Our Turkish friends seem intent on building five times as much in the next 10-15 years.

Turkey could, I suppose, establish herself as a sortof "Super Spain" for the next generation: whenever the Spaniards opened a new HS line in the last 10 years, railway lovers in France and Germany have grumbled (with ill-consealed envy...) that "well, their legacy railway network is so run down that they HAVE to invest in new lines all of the time". There's something to it, of course. The average main line in Germany easily does 140-160 km/h, so very good arguments are needed to persuade authorities to invest billions in a new lines rather than upgrade the old one.

Turkey is, I belive, in terms of railways almost a "clean sheet"? Meaning, the authorities are free to choose an optimal rail architecture for the 21st century, without being weighed down by a legacy network. Whew... good on them. And, good luck to them!
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #470
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
Completion of Ankara - Konya high speed line is significant step

24 December 2010

TURKEY: The first passenger train on TCDD's new Ankara - Konya high speed line ran on December 17, marking another significant step in the country's rail development. International Affairs Director Ibrahim Ceslik says revenue services are expected to begin in early 2011, following the formal completion of the line at the end of 2010.

Ankara - Konya is the country's second line built for 250 km/h operation, following the opening of the Ankara - Eskisehir route in March 2009. Ceslik reports that construction of the new line between Eskisehir and Istanbul is around 50% complete. To the east of the capital, work on the first section of the direct line to Sivas is 30% complete; major structures such as tunnels and viaducts are taking shape, but installation of the railway superstructure has yet to begin.

At present TCDD only has 10 CAF-built 250 km/h trainsets acquired to operate the Ankara - Eskisehir route. More trains will be needed as the high speed network expands, and Ceslink said the operator was drawing up plans to order up to 48 additional trainsets.

The Turkish government has formally adopted a national railway development programme which will add 14503 km of new line in time for the centenary of the republic in 2023, at an estimated cost of US$45bn. A further 2434 km will follow by 2035, expanding the network from 11008 to 27947 route-km in 25 years. Of this, there will be 11998 km designed for operation at 250 km/h and above. The intention is that this will raise rail's market share to 15% in the passenger sector and 20% for freight.

Meanwhile, plans are taking shape for 30 new stations to serve the cities on the emerging high speed network, as part of an urban renewal programme. First will be the new station in Ankara, which is to be developed through a PPP concession. Tender documents are now being prepared, and TCDD expects to invite tenders in early 2011.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...cant-step.html

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #471
Messi
Tinerci Genēlik

First marmaray train constructed. The total number of trains needed is around 450.

Old January 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #472
Cadīr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 9204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post
First marmaray train constructed. The total number of trains needed is around 450.
So, Marmaray is intended solely for suburban traffic ? Or national/international too ? Because I can't imagine freight traffic mixing with suburban traffic.
They will need a good coordinator down there for the trains and metros I guess...
Cadīr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #473
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadīr View Post
So, Marmaray is intended solely for suburban traffic ? Or national/international too ? Because I can't imagine freight traffic mixing with suburban traffic.
They will need a good coordinator down there for the trains and metros I guess...
The Marmaray tunnel will have, as far as I know, 3 tracks. Two of them will
be for suburban traffic, linking the existing lines to Halkali and to Gebze together.
The third track will be for long distance trains. Freight traffic
will also use this third track., and probably also the two others in the
middle of the night. My guess is that TCDD will very soon regret
not to have built this tunnel with 4 tracks directly. The cost difference
would not have been much, but the capacity difference would have been
significant.

There are no intentions to use the Marmary tunnel for urban rail, unless
you consider as urban the lines to Halkali and Gebze... It is an infrastructure
to be compared to the Paris RER or to German S-Bahn, but definitely not a
metro line.
MarcVD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #474
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
There are no intentions to use the Marmary tunnel for urban rail, unless
you consider as urban the lines to Halkali and Gebze... It is an infrastructure
to be compared to the Paris RER or to German S-Bahn, but definitely not a
metro line.
That's also my impression. If you look at the long-term plans for the metro, it looks like they intend to let a number of metro lines radiate out from one station on the Asian side and one station from the European side, respectively. The idea is, you take the RER train underneath the strait and connect easily with the Asian/European metro system as soon as you're across.

As for the long-distance trains, I could have sworn I read somewhere that the plan is to terminate the highspeed trains Ankara-Istanbul on the Asian side in peak hours and only let them continue through to the old Eminonu station at less busy parts of the day. However, if there's a third track specifcally for non-local trains why would that be? Do they expect that the third track will be saturated with freight trains during peak hours?
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #475
Messi
Tinerci Genēlik

Today the transport and telecomunication ministry declared that the third brigde in the north of Istanbul will also have a lane for railway transportation. Thus the marmaray tupe having 2 tracks won't cause any serious problem.

MacrVD, the marmaray is a mixture of subway and suburban rail in my opinion. In the centre it is underground and the distance between stations isn't that long. As you move from the centre to suburbs the line will be on the surface and the distance between stations will get longer. Beside this the service interval for an suburban rail is too short, if I am not mistaken we talk about 5 minustes between train during peak hours.

News in Turkish:
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/12043649.asp

Last edited by Messi; January 5th, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #476
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
TCDD orders 80 Hyundai Rotem electric locomotives

06 January 2011

TURKEY: Hyundai Rotem signed a contract to supply state railway TCDD with 80 electric locomotives and a driving simulator on December 20. The South Korean firm said this is its first export order for electric locomotives, although it has exported diesels and multiple-units.

Eight of the 5 MW locomotives will be manufactured by Hyundai Rotem, with the rest to be assembled locally in co-operation with Tülomsas for delivery by the end of 2014. Technology transfer agreements will see local content reach 35%.

The order is worth a total of US$330m, with Islamic Development Bank providing US$220m. Other bids were submitted by Bombardier Transportation, AnsaldoBreda and Chinese suppliers.

Hyundai Rotem was the lowest bidder, and has a strong footprint in Turkey through its Eurotem local business. The South Korean firm said it has now won orders to supply around 800 heavy and light rail vehicles for seven projects in Turkey, and is hoping to win an order to supply high speed trains.

On December 16 Hyundai Rotem signed a US$304m contract to supply Ukrainian state railway UZ with 10 nine-car 160 km/h inter-city EMUs.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...comotives.html

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #477
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post
MacrVD, the marmaray is a mixture of subway and suburban rail in my opinion. In the centre it is underground and the distance between stations isn't that long. As you move from the centre to suburbs the line will be on the surface and the distance between stations will get longer. Beside this the service interval for an suburban rail is too short, if I am not mistaken we talk about 5 minustes between train during peak hours.
In terms of both inter-station distance and time intervals between trains,
this corresponds perfectly to the french RER and german s-bahn systems.
Modern subway systems have much shorter distance between stations and
headways of 1-2 minutes, not 5...

On the other hand, one must recognize that for a city of 15 million
inhabitants, Istanbul is, even after the Marmaray project completion,
severely under-equipped in terms of transport infrastructure... So it is
clear that the Halkali-Gebze line will also be used for pure urban transport,
simply because there is nothing else available. But after all, when I'm in
Paris, I also take RER D when I have to travel from Gare du Nord to Gare
de Lyon, and not the metro...
MarcVD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #478
laurus

Likes (Received): 5

Turkey to build 100 high-speed train stations

Friday, January 14, 2011
ANKARA - Anatolia News Agency

Construction rights to the train stations will be auctioned under the build-operate-transfer model. DHA photo

Nearly 100 new train stations are planned to be built across Turkey as part of the installation of a high-speed rail network, according to data gathered by Anatolia news agency.

Construction rights to the train stations will be auctioned under the build-operate-transfer model.

After at least three new high-speed train stations are constructed in the capital Ankara as part of an Ankara-Konya high-speed train route, bids to build a station in the central Anatolian province of Konya will be accepted.

The Transportation and Communication Ministry is set to pursue test drives on the Ankara-Konya high-speed train line while further build high-speed Ankara-Sivas, Istanbul-Sivas, Ankara-Afyonkarahisar, Ankara-Izmir, Ankara-Bursa, Sivas-Erzincan-Erzurum-Kars and Halkalı-Bulgaria lines.

The stations will be built after high-speed rail lines have been laid between the cities to be connected.

Turkey's first high-speed train began transporting passengers from Ankara to and back Eskisehir on March 13, 2009.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.p...ons-2011-01-14
laurus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #479
Grg76

Likes (Received): 0

Hello,

Newly i see that the train timetable between Aleppo and Mersin was removed from the TCDD page. And i could find nowhere any information about...
I will go to Syria this summer and planned to come back with this train to Adana. So i will be happy about any information.

Thank you
Grg76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #480
hhouse

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grg76 View Post
Hello,

Newly i see that the train timetable between Aleppo and Mersin was removed from the TCDD page. And i could find nowhere any information about...
I will go to Syria this summer and planned to come back with this train to Adana. So i will be happy about any information.

Thank you
The train is not running at the moment... Only train service between Turkey and Syria at the moment is between Gaziantep and Aleppo. But what I know, it's not possible to get to Gaziantep by train from Istanbul (at the moment)?!
hhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high speed rail, railway stations, railways