daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #481
Grg76

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhouse View Post
The train is not running at the moment... Only train service between Turkey and Syria at the moment is between Gaziantep and Aleppo. But what I know, it's not possible to get to Gaziantep by train from Istanbul (at the moment)?!
Thanks for the information.
Yes, i know, but Gaziantep is not good for me. So i think i must use busses to get to Adana. Maybe the train will run again in summer...
I think not much people used it because the departure time was 03:00 from Aleppo, however that was te perfect time to get connected in Adana to Istanbul.
Grg76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #482
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

When the train Mersin - Aleppo war reintroduced last summer, it was explicitly mentioned that it would run summers only, so there is some hope it might be back in a few months.
Alternatively, there is now a new variety to travel between the Middle East and Southern Turkey. The ship company Fergün has started running an overnight ferry from Tripoli in Lebanon to Mersin, from where it is just a short local train ride to connect with the trains Adana - Istanbul. They plan on raising the number of ferries from 1 to 3 a week by early summer, see
http://www.fergun.net/Azzurra.aspx
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #483
Dunzdeck
living in the past

Likes (Received): 22

Gee, looks like cross-border rail traffic into Syria is constantly declining... the direct train from Istanbul is still "suspended", isn't it? Though I must say the infrastructure in the border region is very run-down, this line still feels like a living part of history :-(
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #484
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

We need more investment... Do you have any idea about the Eurotem trains?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM   #485
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2724

[IMG]http://i52.************/2am7aw.jpg[/IMG]

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #486
Triple C

Likes (Received): 1723

İstanbul(Haydarpaşa) - İzmit line timelapse;
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #487
MakaWella
However..

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple C View Post
İstanbul(Haydarpaşa) - İzmit line timelapse;
Hi, thanks for sharing this video..

Do you have the name of this song.. ?

Thnx
MakaWella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #488
Cirdan

I kind of wonder about the HSR construction priorities... I'm hardly an expert on Turkey, but looking at cities and geography, may priorities would be somewhere along these lines:

1) Ankara-Istanbul (+ connection to Bursa)
2) Izmir-Bursa (which would have the 4 biggest Turkish cities connected)
3) Ankara-Konya-Antalya (to connect the tourists)
4) Konya-Mersin-Adana-Gaziantep-Şanlıurfa-Diyarbakır (connecting a lot of populous cities in the SE)

After that, there's still a number of connections I'd consider more interesting than Sivas, let alone Kars (Antalya-Izmir, Ankara-Kayseri)... why are they building that line, while Izmir-Bursa(-Istanbul) or South East Anatolya does not even appear to be in the long-term plans for HSR?
Cirdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #489
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2429

Kayeri, Sivas, Erzurum those are called "Anatolian tigers" There are the booming cities of the poor east so I guess the government tries to make these cities more intresting for investors otherwise the migration from eastern Turkey to western Turkey will never stop. It is more a political decision in my opinion.
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #490
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

In fact, in all maps above I do not see any idea for HSR to Adana and Antep. I think this line will be very busy. But as I see, all plans for short- and mid-term future do not involve these cities. I only have heard for possible connection Konya – Mersin – Adana but no lately no one mentions it. Are there any reasons for that?
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #491
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

You are right that the latest map of the TCDD's wet dreams, while containing a lot of new variations, does not contain a number of projects which have been mentioned earlier, including the direct Karaman - Mersin HSR, Ankara - Samsun HSR, Konya - Kayseri HSR. While all these projects have been only rather vague ideas, their absence does seem strange in such a fanciful map. The most obvious change is that Syria and Southeastern Turkey are only connected through the backdoor, via Sivas rather than via Konya.
My guess is that this is the influence of the Chinese loan which will concentrate investments even more on the Edirne - Kars corridor and reduce other routes to mere appendices. In contrast to this "Silk Route", the preparations for the "Hijaz Railway" are apparently not going well. Recently Turkish officials publicly proclaimed that while they had a project for an HSR Antep to the Syrian border in hand, the Syrian side had done nothing.
Nonetheless there are many in the Turkish forum that agree that TCDD's priorities are mixed up. Obviously they should first connect the country's five (later 10) biggest cities; then connect the HSR to Europe via Bulgaria, to Syria, and then to Georgia, not the other way around; reach selected touristic hubs such as Antalya.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #492
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

Just to support your suggestion: I wonder why it is so important for Turkey to develop HSR to Edirne as after Edirne there is no high-speed rail and no chances to be build soon. Yes, there is some reconstruction for the part Edirne/Svilengrad – Plovdiv, but only allowing speed up to 160km/h. For the part Plovdiv – Sofia I am not optimistic that soon there will be any HSR at all. O.K., for the part Plovdiv – Sofia there are at least some plans to develop the rail with the speed up to 160km/h (although I do not expect to finalize these projects earlier that 2020), but for the next part Sofia – Nish no projects at all and no ideas for reconstruction. So, obviously Istanbul – Edirne HSR will be only for domestic using. Personally, I hope that after Turkey finishes Istanbul – Edirne, Bulgarian government will be pushed to develop project for some form of HSR or at least reconstruction of the rail to provide connection between Istanbul and Western Europe. But from my point of view, it would be better for Turkey to spend money for developing HSR between biggest cities inside Turkey instead to giving priority to section Istanbul – Edirne.
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #493
hhouse

Likes (Received): 110

I don't think that they will build the HSR to Edirne, before Turkey's a member of the EU (what hopefully will never be the case).
hhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #494
Hubert Pollak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhouse View Post
I don't think that they will build the HSR to Edirne, before Turkey's a member of the EU (what hopefully will never be the case).
You are really wrong. I hope that Turkey will enter UE soon. Turkey is developing really fast. They do excellent projects. When you compare with Greece and eastern Europe - Turekey should be there before Greece and east Europe which doesn't do sustainable development. Turkey together with Chinese will built high speed Sofia - Istanbul. Project is already started (international agreement Bulgaria-Turkey-China).
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #495
hhouse

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Pollak View Post
You are really wrong. I hope that Turkey will enter UE soon. Turkey is developing really fast. They do excellent projects. When you compare with Greece and eastern Europe - Turekey should be there before Greece and east Europe which doesn't do sustainable development. Turkey together with Chinese will built high speed Sofia - Istanbul. Project is already started (international agreement Bulgaria-Turkey-China).
It's very offtopic, but nevertheless: You shouldn't look only on the business sector... There's also a problem with the geographical location of Turkey in the unstable Middle East region. The EU enlargement to eastern europe was already a big mistake and that would be a much bigger one. And also there's only a little part of Turkey in Europe!
An improvement of the economic relations between Europe and Turkey should be enough!

To get ontopic: Is the Kars-Tbilsi line still scheduled to open in 2012?
hhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #496
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Oh please, none of these general discussions which you can have every evening in any bar with anyone! The reason we post to this forum is that we are interested in railways, whatever our ideological outlook.

Mixing a 250 kmh custom-built new rail line and a 160 kmh refurbished line is not a problem I find. Look at the German rail system, most 250 kmh lines are actually quite short, then ICE trains go onto 200 or 160 or even 120 kmh stretches, but the overall speed is still better than before.
Any way you look at it, something has to be done about the Istanbul - Edirne corridor. Kapikule/Svilengrad is acclaimedly one of the busiest borders in the world, and especially all that freight crossing that border needs an efficient rail alternative. Simply redoing the present line will not help, as it is about 1 1/2 the length of the highway. In my opinion, the line should be newly built from scratch, allowing both for passengers and freight , and if you are doing that, why not do it state of the art, i.e. HSR.
The Bulgarian side is of course a problem: while Bulgaria has become a much richer country that it used to be 10 years ago, the railways still look (and are) for the greater part the same as 30 years ago. I really hope present policies of rail neglect will change in Bulgaria. Defintely Plovdiv - Sofia should be upgraded. It is short, the most travelled connection in the country, and would pay up quickly.
And for the continuation beyond Sofia, Bulgaria has announced the building of a new railway to Vidin to lead to the new Danube bridge to Romania. So bypassing Serbia could be the new way to travel after 2020. The problem is that the move is not coordinated with Romania, which has invested into railway considerably more, but in a different part of the country.
With a little bit of more investment, but mostly better coordination, rail travel from the Balkans to Central Europe could once again become a real option.
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #497
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2429

The Ankara-Konya highspeed construction has already reached the Konya cenral station. Currently the capactiy of the station in being increased by further platforms. Tests will begin within 2 weeks according to the minister.

Photos by Ozan Han from wowturkey:

[IMG]http://i53.************/2pzwa6r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2q833gh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/axerk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/2cyr8df.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/vhgwut.jpg[/IMG]
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #498
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

Aren't they going to build a new HST station in Konya?
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #499
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genç View Post
Aren't they going to build a new HST station in Konya?
They want to in the long run, but for the moment they have just renovated the older station buildings there. Pictures courtesy of Mistral on the drehscheibe forum:

Perhaps a general update for highspeed construction developments in Turkey (based on rayturk.net reporting) is in order:

Ankara - Eskisehir - operating, but one trip takes 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, not yet the planned 65 minutes. While a separate track between Ankara and Sincan (parallel to the local trains) and a tunnel underneath Eskisehir might improve the situation somewhat, but not to slash 40 minutes off the traveling time. How will they do that?
(Ankara-/Eskisehir) Polatli - Konya - undergoing test rides, awaiting certification and begin of commercial operations ca. 1 June.
Eskisehir - Inönü(-istanbul) - construction 80 % finished, wires are partially up already and rails in place in most places. Thus Ankara HS trains can be extended beyond Eskisehir to Bozüyük possibly even by end of the year. However, Bozüyük station is actually tiny, I do not know how they will accomodate the HS trains there.
Inönü - Fevzipasa(-istanbul) - construction well underway with several bridges and tunnels nearly completed, no superstructure yet. This part i am confident will make the planned opening date of Sept 2013.
Fevzipasa - izmit - (istanbul) - delay due to replanning, i.e. bypassing Arifiye/Adapazari by a direct 5 km tunnel to Sapanca. Begin of construction is said to be imminent, but completion by 2013 is questionable.
izmit - gebze - istanbul - reconstruction of existing double-track lines to slightly higher speeds and three tracks through the densely built-up urban sprawl to the East of the city is out for tender and is supposed to start soon. Although this is technically not such a challenging work, the delay will almost certainly cause for this part of the work not to be completed before 2014/2015.
(Ankara-)Yerköy-Sivas - Construction on the long stretch through Central Anatolia is reported as 40% finished. At this rate of progress, it might also be finished by 2014/2015.
Ankara-Yerköy - as this westernmost part of the Ankara - Sivas line has still not been reprojected, it was recently proposed to split the tender and to assign Kirikkale - Yerköy this year as planned, but leave Ankara - Kirikkale to be assigned later.
Bursa-Yenisehir(-Bilecik) - A legal action by one of the omitted companies has delayed the announcement of the tender, which should have happened a week ago. Depending on further developments of the legal issues, the delay could jeopardize the time plan of the project. This is maybe not a big deal though because
Yenisehir - Bilecik - the second leg of Bursa's link to the Istanbul - Ankara line has yet to begin planning. The tender is out now for the planning work which will take at least 2 years before the construction tender can follow.
The government has also announced that at least the first leg of the long awaited Ankara - Izmir route, polatli-Afyon, could be put up for tender later this year, but no concrete date was given.
There is also mention that the planning work for the Chinese-Turkish collaboration on creating a high-speed rail "Silk Road" would lead to works beginning next year. Whether these works will initially concentrate on Istanbul - Edirne, Istanbul-Ankara via Beypazar (unlikely) or Sivas-Erzincan is not known.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #500
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Bulgaria Turkey Plan Sofia-Edirne Bullet Train

May 9, 2011

Turkey has launched an ambitious project for a direct high-speed railway connection between Central Europe, Turkey and the Middle East, which is to also pass through Bulgaria.

File photo

Bulgaria and Turkey are planning the launch of a bullet train between Sofia and Edirne, according to Suleyman Karaman, Director General and Chairman of the Board of the Turkish State Railways.

Karaman told the Bulgarian National Radio, BNR, transport ministers of the two countries recently held talks on the project, saying Turkey is ready with the project and is waiting for the Bulgarian side.

"Bulgarians are applying effort according to their possibilities. We insist on the realization of the project ASAP, because the high-speed train will facilitate transport between Turkey and Europe," the CEO says.

Karaman explained the deadline is estimated somewhere in the next five years, pointing out the bullet train launch between Edirne and Istanbul is coming in the very near future, by the end of 2011, with two thirds of the 280-km railroad already finished. The railroad will be used for both passenger and cargo trains.

It is part of Turkey's ambitious project to have a direct railway connection between Central Europe, Turkey and the Middle East.
Source:http://novinite.com/view_news.php?id=128040
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high speed rail, railway stations, railways