daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #681
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hawken View Post
The 08:30 Sofia to Plovdiv is an existing train, onto which the Istanbul carriages could be attached. The service from Belgrade is a notorious late-runner, so to ensure a connection you would need to depart no earlier than 10:30. That would make the arrival time in Istanbul too late.
Maybe the Inter-railers should plan for a day in Sofia.
Well, while I would love to see proper services to Istanbul I think it's important to remember how few locals that actually travels this route. Last time I took it there where zero Bulgarian passengers on board and there are many reports of the train running almost empty. To be honest I would guess this route would be cancelled unless it was for Interrail travellers during the summer months.

So, for the near future it's important to honor connections.

Tċgälskaren liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #682
Jeff Hawken

Likes (Received): 26

I don't know about the Bulgarian side, but in Turkey the (overnight) trains to / from Kapikule could only be used by passengers holding international tickets. So the fact there were no local passengers shouldn't be a surprise.

You really don't want to schedule the train to arrive in Halkali any later than 21:00. The BN1 bus connection to central Istanbul runs every 10 minutes up to 22:40, then 22:55 and 23:10. After that, you would be reliant on taxis to take everybody forward.

As for honouring connections, I'm talking about an entirely new daytime service. There is no existing connection at Sofia between the overnight from Belgrade and the 08:30 to Plovdiv. I guess if there was any significant demand for such a connection, it would probably have been arranged already.
Jeff Hawken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:56 PM   #683
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

TURKEY | Railways

Stadler sleeping coaches for Baku - Tblisi - Kars connection presented at Innotrans in Berlin: http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...-revealed.html

Any recent pictures on the construction of this line between Kars and Karakale/Georgian border?

Edil Arda, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Theijs; September 23rd, 2016 at 01:04 PM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:32 PM   #684
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

No pics I know, but this news report in Turkish from 4 days ago. Apparently there is still tunneling going on, although the official date for end of works is end of this year, with test rides and regular services to start in the next.
http://www.rayhaber.com/2016/09/btk-...malar-suruyor/

Theijs, Edil Arda liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #685
roaddor

Likes (Received): 5471

I have two questions regarding the railway map of Turkey below. Firstly, when is the construction of the new HSR line (250km/h) from Istanbul to Kapikule BCP going to start?
And secondly there is an arrow on the map which denotes a planned connection north of Kirklareli to the TR/BG border. Is this rail link correct or it is just a mistake? If it is true what is the border place on the Turkish side? Thanks in advance.

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #686
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Zdrasti Roaddor,
1) It has been announced that Halkali - Kapikule HSR would be tendered this year. However they said the same thing last year. Let us hope this year it will really happen.
2) There is a feasibility study ongoing for a rail line from Kirklareli to Burgas (mainly for freight for the Burgas port). The road border crossing there is called Dereköy (not really a town around, just forest). However the route of the potential rail line is not determined yet, and as the Dereköy/Malko Târnovo crossing are very high up in the Strandzha Mountain Range (at more than 900 m I believe), one can assume that the rail route would probably pass somewhere at lower altitude or through a tunnel.The old rail side branch to Kirklareli is derelict, but a side branch of the Istanbul to Kapikule HSR is to reconnect Kirklareli.
I believe the chances for the rail link to Burgas are low though, as it has two important competitors: the plan for an Alexandroupolis to Burgas rail line (which could use more existing infrastructure) and Kanal Istanbul, the environmentally disastrous plan to create an artificial second Bosporus on Turkish soil. Both of these plans have the advantage that there is no customs border being crossed.

roaddor liked this post
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #687
roaddor

Likes (Received): 5471

This is very interesting because there is definitely unused potential in the region. Since the final destinations of such traffic are obviously Ukraine and Russia, have you considered the possibility to continue north of Burgas by rail instead of reloading again at the port. The customs procedures are present but this is not such a big issue, it is similar as when the traffic goes from Turkey to Central Europe.
Derekoy can be very beneficial as a BCP for the road transport (heavy traffic). The prerequisite for that is the construction of the A5 highway in Bulgaria between Burgas and Varna. I highly support this idea and hope it becomes reality. And then further north we need at least a road bridge across Danube at Silistra.
Regarding the rail transport, I think the opportunity is better through the planned BCP at Malkoclar/Strandzha. It is at lower altitude and not that steep as is the case with Malko Tarnovo, so probably a tunnel won't be even necessary there. Furthermore such a line, a bit west of Derekoy, will not be longer in length. I agree it is of common interest as it will serve well the ports of Tekirdag and Istanbul and can be even used from as far as Mersin. The difficulty is that a rail connection in SE Bulgaria has never been discussed. Also have in mind in Turkey that the area around Malko Tarnovo is protected. This is the so called national park "Strandzha" and a new line will not be possible to pass there. If the idea is undertaken, the country has to build about 50km new railway to the border and approach Kirklareli from another place. I don't know how the authorities will evaluate this case. It makes sense for me personally to exist a line Kirklareli-Burgas but note that the realization at least from our side could take time.

Last edited by roaddor; March 8th, 2017 at 03:16 PM.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #688
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

BTK now very close to completion

Railway gazette says that the Turkey section of the new BTK line has been
inaugurated on July 19th.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...i-railway.html

We might see the new Ankara-Tbilissi passenger rail service in operation this or
next year. Or will it have to wait until the works in Ankara are completed ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #689
EsEsTrain

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Railway gazette says that the Turkey section of the new BTK line has been
inaugurated on July 19th.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...i-railway.html

We might see the new Ankara-Tbilissi passenger rail service in operation this or
next year. Or will it have to wait until the works in Ankara are completed ?
It seems that we're gonna see the answer this month, as the line starts working in September...

http://www.anadolugazetesi.com/baku-...-de-73205.html
EsEsTrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #690
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 27919

First train service to link Baku-Tbilisi-Kars starts next week

The first official train service to connect Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia - the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars (BTK) railway project - will start on Oct. 30, Turkey’s Transportation Minister Ahmet Arslan said on Oct. 23.

The minister said international cargo capacity was expected to reach 50 million tons per year through the corridor, adding that transportation would become easier between Turkey and Asia, Caucasus and Europe.

He said the railway service would serve a billion passengers and will have 6.5 million tons of freight capacity when the line becomes operational.

The 826-kilometer-long railway is being built in accordance with an intergovernmental agreement between Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/fir...xt-week-121307

K. Atatürk

Dusko_BG, DanielFA, Zaz965 liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #691
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Forgive the man his "billion passengers" (in how many centuries?), politicians around here tend to get drunk on their own PR. What he does not say is that apparently this is only the opening of the line for freight services. Azerbaidzhan Railways have declared that passenger services would start next year.
Plus of course the line built was not 826 km long. But 105 km built from scratch, 169 km modernized, and 549 km overhauled.

Edil Arda liked this post
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #692
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Forgive the man his "billion passengers" (in how many centuries?), politicians around here tend to get drunk on their own PR. What he does not say is that apparently this is only the opening of the line for freight services. Azerbaidzhan Railways have declared that passenger services would start next year.
Plus of course the line built was not 826 km long. But 105 km built from scratch, 169 km modernized, and 549 km overhauled.

There has been so much hot air and ministerial pronouncements passed off as fact about this projects over the last few years that I think we could forgive him on this occasion given that the project actually seems to be finished.
Prior to this we have had officials constantly stating that test trains would be running before xxx date, as if their mere saying it would make it so. Lets just be happy that this link has finally been constructed and I for one hope to travel on it one day, having once got the train as far as Kars and been obliged to continue across the border in a cramped minibus.

Old October 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #693
Taner07

Likes (Received): 240

İts a typo.
Taner07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:33 AM   #694
Theijs

Is there an updated map available of the Turkish railway network that includes the stations between Kars and the border with Georgia?

lechevallierpatrick, DanielFA, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:06 PM   #695
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10865

How long is it until they open the DB AG-Rafil Type V gauge changer in the Georgian town of Akhalkalaki for the passengers Baku-Tiblisi-Istanbul route?
It was announced for mid-2017.
Are there any pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Zaz965 liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:48 AM   #696
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

There is a recent eye witness report in German, also with a link to some photos:https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/fo...hp?030,8341620
Apparently, everything is very provisional in order to allow for the opening. He saw no sign of the gauge change infrastructure for the Stadler trains.

Gusiluz, DanielFA, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:10 AM   #697
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Is there an updated map available of the Turkish railway network that includes the stations between Kars and the border with Georgia?

Apparently Canbaz station is under construction next to Cildir lake.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:07 PM   #698
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

https://railturkey.org/2018/01/10/el...at-full-speed/

DanielFA liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:05 PM   #699
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Weird that the line from Kars to the Georgian border is missing on this official map.
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:19 PM   #700
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 27919

This is the official one: http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/uploads/demiryoluharitasi.jpg

K. Atatürk

DanielFA liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high speed rail, railway stations, railways