daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #61
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazmattaz View Post
Its not a local regional centre, its a local district centre, the district being Charterhouse and frankly with changes in retail patterns its never gonna serve a big role in the local community.
We know that, as almost everything has closed down over the years and been replaced by crap fast food joints. This decline started a long time ago. All the pubs have closed as well.

Charterhouse is a horrible place.

Last edited by NewTroll; October 26th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #62
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazmattaz View Post
Without the buses the retail offer on Ball Hill would be a lot worse... those bus stops are the 4th and 5th busiest in the whole city, and that includes all the stops in the City Centre!!

So at the end of the day the buses are part of the lifeblood of the area!
I think the large local population in walking distance is the lifeblood of the area, and as that population has changed, the retail has changed. I know, because I lived there and watched it happen. Buses are useful for getting into town and back again, and that's about it. I'd put money on it that the traders get more trade that they wouldn't normally get from passing motorists. I stop off there in the mornings a lot of times, and also pop down from the office sometimes to get some lunch.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #63
stig1982
stig1982

Likes (Received): 0

If they re-introduced a tram system, that could really help the area too.

Linking FGS to Broadgate via tram would be ideal, come to think of it.
stig1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #64
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig1982 View Post
If they re-introduced a tram system, that could really help the area too.

Linking FGS to Broadgate via tram would be ideal, come to think of it.
Whatever happened to Sprint?

I doubt we'll ever see trams in Coventry.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #65
CovAD

Likes (Received): 8

Can you explain what was so special about SPRINT? All I see is a bus in a bus lane.

I think the city would benefit hugely from a tram style system, but until the ring-road is flattened allowing it to get into the city centre it's not feasible.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #66
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
Can you explain what was so special about SPRINT? All I see is a bus in a bus lane.

I think the city would benefit hugely from a tram style system, but until the ring-road is flattened allowing it to get into the city centre it's not feasible.
It is a bus, but because it runs (Occasionally) in its own lane, it isn't held up by traffic. It also has fewer stops and adopts a "tram like" means of picking up/depositing passengers. IE more exits/entrances and platforms. The idea is rapid transit, rather than the horrendous bus routes that takes ages to get anywhere.

The whole problem with trams is that they run on the road and require a lot infrastructure that takes years to put in and is expensive and inflexible.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #67
CovAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
It is a bus, but because it runs (Occasionally) in its own lane, it isn't held up by traffic. It also has fewer stops and adopts a "tram like" means of picking up/depositing passengers. IE more exits/entrances and platforms. The idea is rapid transit, rather than the horrendous bus routes that takes ages to get anywhere.

The whole problem with trams is that they run on the road and require a lot infrastructure that takes years to put in and is expensive and inflexible.
So effectively it's a bus that is quicker because it hardly stops anywhere to pick up passengers?

It would seem to be the equivalent of an express service compared to a stopping train, except most of the time it won't be able to travel that much faster because it has to keep to the same speed limits or will be stuck in traffic the same as normal buses.

It seems to take the worst bits of buses (speed governed by the road and traffic apart from small sections of bus lanes it can use - which buses can too) and the worst bits of trams (less accessible due to fewer stops placed dependent on where the tracks go, easier to fare dodge) and put them together.

I fail to see the attraction other than it's supposedly cheaper than trams, but still needed something like £85m to set up I believe?
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #68
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

It's attraction is that it's intended to link commuter areas with business areas and provide rapid transit between them. I.E Nuneaton to Bermuda, then to the Prologis Park, Foleshill's Paragon Park, city centre and the central station.

Similarly, Warwick University to the City centre via places like Earlsdon. And also people who commute from further afield can get into Coventry by train and the get to where they work by Sprint. The vehicle will run on simple routes that go straight to destinations with stops along the way. The fact it will run on its own road in some places means it won't be held up by traffic.

The poblem with a bus say from Kenilworth to these places is that it takes too long as the bus stops everywhere and weaves around places.

The idea is that commuters from Kenilworth can make a short journey to the Sprint station, and Sprint can get them to where they work very quickly.

It's a pretty good idea, especially in Coventry, which has very well defined business areas around the city and well defined commuter areas.

Coventry isn't really busy enough to justify a tram system - the only area where one might be justified is the Nuneaton->Bedworth->Coventry corridor.

Trams are just an old idea, really - why restrict the vehicle to rails and overhead cables? People are just nostalgic for them. There's no reason to tear up the streets for a tram system when the same principle can be used on a flexible vehicle like a bus that operates using "Tram" principles of allowing a lot of passengers on/off at the same time.

On thing with Sprint is that if they got it up and running, then because it runs on a dedicated road, that'd make it easier to convert to a tram system.

I lived in Sheffield when the trams were going back in, and it caused absolute chaos for years!

I think ideally there should be different levels of transport for a city - high speed links to surrounding commuter towns and suburbs, and then for local journeys, buses that go around the area in more detail but feed into the other networks.
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #69
CovAD

I see your point and the advantages of the system over a tram but I fail to see why so much money needs to be spent on it. It's still effectively just a bus with a more direct route and fewer stops (like a park n ride).

A normal bus would be able to travel the more direct route at the same speeds, as governed by the law, and could use any extra roads created for the system as well, so why not just use them?

OK, buses don't have the multiple entrance/exits but SPRINT can't have that many more because otherwise it'd be too long to go round corners or would hardly have any room on for passengers to sit down. In that respect it's similar to a bendibus and they are an absolute joke.

However, I do agree with you about having a high speed network between the major centres and local services from these.
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #70
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
I see your point and the advantages of the system over a tram but I fail to see why so much money needs to be spent on it. It's still effectively just a bus with a more direct route and fewer stops (like a park n ride).

A normal bus would be able to travel the more direct route at the same speeds, as governed by the law, and could use any extra roads created for the system as well, so why not just use them?

OK, buses don't have the multiple entrance/exits but SPRINT can't have that many more because otherwise it'd be too long to go round corners or would hardly have any room on for passengers to sit down. In that respect it's similar to a bendibus and they are an absolute joke.

However, I do agree with you about having a high speed network between the major centres and local services from these.
Well they are really just buses - isn't a tram just a bus on rails, though? The vehicle is somewhat irrelevent - the infrastructure and the separation of public transport and private transport is IMHO what is important, and the rapid transit.

I doubt it's going to happen now - all gone quiet.
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #71
CovAD

Quote:
Well they are really just buses - isn't a tram just a bus on rails, though? The vehicle is somewhat irrelevent - the infrastructure and the separation of public transport and private transport is IMHO what is important, and the rapid transit.

I doubt it's going to happen now - all gone quiet.
That is fair enough but I don't really see where they could build the extra roads needed to separate them (although they would also be excellent for emergency services too)

Maybe that's why it's gone quiet, and also explains the high cost because of the amount of land they would have needed for them.
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #72
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
That is fair enough but I don't really see where they could build the extra roads needed to separate them (although they would also be excellent for emergency services too)

Maybe that's why it's gone quiet, and also explains the high cost because of the amount of land they would have needed for them.
LOL, they proposed separate roads in Earlsdon, but it would involve destroying part of the spinney that runs alongside Kenilworth road. That didn't go down well locally, and was scrapped.

Elsewhere they were going to use gates that give Sprint priority at junctions, but they don't seem to work well. At least the one in the Butts didn't and was taken out!!!

The main area for a new "roadway" was going to be alongside the railway that goes from Cov->Nuneaton. Although, you do have to wonder why they didn't just use the railway!!
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #73
LifeOnMarsBar

Quote:
...The main area for a new "roadway" was going to be alongside the railway that goes from Cov->Nuneaton. Although, you do have to wonder why they didn't just use the railway!!
Exactly - this should have happened in IMO. And it also should have served the Arena area. And they had the money for the station too. But the railway network said that the numbers didn't add up. Wasn't there supposed to be a revaluation of that? Wonder what happened to that?
LifeOnMarsBar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #74
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnMarsBar View Post
Exactly - this should have happened in IMO. And it also should have served the Arena area. And they had the money for the station too. But the railway network said that the numbers didn't add up. Wasn't there supposed to be a revaluation of that? Wonder what happened to that?
They were talking about using the Nuneaton->Cov->Leamington line a lot more - in fact some Cov->Leamington track has been doubled up recently to allow more traffic. The Cov--> Nuneaton line was shut by Beeching, and then reopened for freight, and then sporadically used for passenger services.

It's gone all quiet. Everything's gone all quiet.

Given that 20+% of Nuneaton's workforce work in Coventry, you'd think that this'd be a good commuter line (Although they may not work in the city centre, which'd make it hard to use... buy maybe linked in with Sprint...)
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #75
stig1982
stig1982

Ian Harrabin has formally applied for planning permission to start works on the conversion and restoration of the Hand & Heart Pub.

Told you it wasn't all just a pipe dream!

Here's to hoping that further applications for other parts of Far Gosford Street are forthcoming (then granted and implemented ASAP!)

Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #76
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Ian Harrabin has formally applied for planning permission to start works on the conversion and restoration of the Hand & Heart Pub.

Told you it wasn't all just a pipe dream!

Here's to hoping that further applications for other parts of Far Gosford Street are forthcoming (then granted and implemented ASAP!)

Conversion into what? There have been two plans in the past to reuse that building - one as a student residence, the other as apartments... Neither has come to anything.

What are they planning to use it for?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM   #77
stig1982
stig1982

Quote:
Conversion into what? There have been two plans in the past to reuse that building - one as a student residence, the other as apartments... Neither has come to anything.

What are they planning to use it for?
Residential use.

Check out the planning application.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #78
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Residential use.

Check out the planning application.
Have you got a link?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM   #79
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Here the planning app:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=690389

It says it's for two upper floors - what are they going to do with the ground floor?

I spent many many happy days and nights in the H&H when I was a student!! Used to get locks in and free food from the landlord... A great Irish bloke called John...
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #80
stig1982
stig1982

Quote:
Here the planning app:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=690389

It says it's for two upper floors - what are they going to do with the ground floor?

I spent many many happy days and nights in the H&H when I was a student!! Used to get locks in and free food from the landlord... A great Irish bloke called John...
Cue: Irish joke...

Dr Murphy has had a hard week at the surgery so decides to take Friday off to play golf. He calls in his assistant Paddy to man the surgery whilst he is away.

"Paddy, Aye'll be goin to tha golf course on Friday, so I will. Will ya look after the surgery for me?"

"Aye, so I will, Dr Murphy" says Paddy.

Back to work on Monday, Dr. Murphy asks Paddy how he got along on Friday.

"Well the first patient was a poor fella with a nasty headache. So I gave him some Paracetamol, so I did"

"That's great Paddy, well done there lad" says Dr Murphy.

"The second fella came in with terrible stomach cramps, so he did, so I gave him some Gaviscon."

"Oh be Jesus, great work Paddy, great work!" beams Dr Murphy

"The t'ird patient was a bit more complex, so she was. She walked in to the surgery, took off all her clothes, lay down on the table, spread her legs, and told me that she hadn't seen a fella in t'ree years, so she did."

"Sweet Mary and Joseph, Paddy! What did yer do?"

Paddy replies to Dr Murphy: "Well I gave her some eye drops of course, so I did."

Tags
coventry