SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEWMARKET | Projects + News + Gallery

89K views 281 replies 76 participants last post by  greenwelly 
#1 ·
A lot of other threads seem to end up referring to Newmarket, which is a pretty major sub-centre of Auckland. So perhaps it does need its own thread.

This is particularly of interest as the Newmarket Growth Area Structure Plan has its hearing next week. Sadly it's too late now for anyone to make a submission on the Structure Plan.

If you really want to read all about the Structure Plan, submissions that were made and so on, here's a link: http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council/members/hearings/20081013_0930/hrg-131008-report-agd-#1.pdf

In any case, I will paste in a few key points about the structure plan:

Proposed plan modification 196 seeks to provide for residential growth in Newmarket while retaining opportunities for employment growth in accordance with the Auckland City Growth Management Strategy 2003 and the liveable community plan for Newmarket.
The Auckland City Growth Management Strategy (“the growth strategy”) was adopted in 2003. The growth strategy sets out where, when and how Auckland will grow and ensures that change will happen in a managed and effective way. The key intention of the strategy is to encourage vibrant town centres within the city by:
• focusing growth around town centres that can provide the services, shops and jobs that the growing population needs
• increasing the density of development in those town centres so that there are sufficient people and activities to support improved passenger transport and other services and activities
• coordinating growth areas with passenger transport and infrastructure – putting growth areas close to rail stations and bus routes and managing drainage and stormwater.
Newmarket is identified as an “urban living area” in the growth strategy. Urban living areas are suitable for residential and mixed-use growth and are based around town centres that already have (or potentially will have) the transport, schools, open space, community services and shops needed to create a vibrant community.
Sounds fairly reasonable so far...

A liveable community plan (“Newmarket’s future”) outlining the framework for how Newmarket should grow was prepared in September 2004. Newmarket’s future established the following guiding principles:
• “reinforce the economic importance of Newmarket as a sub-regional centre and provide for growth which complements the CBD
• build on Newmarket’s diversity, the mix of shopping, office, education, community facilities and residential areas
• showcase quality urban design
• offer urban living choices
• respect and build upon Newmarket’s established identity and sense of community
• retain and enhance the historic, cultural and natural identity and amenity of the area
• take into account Newmarket’s context and role in the city and its relationship with other town centres in Auckland
• feature a well-connected street and public space network
• provide a safe and attractive environment for walking, cycling, public transport and private vehicles
• provide for the needs of specific sectors of the community, including youth and people with disabilities
• fulfil the role of an efficient transport node catering for the needs of the local community and through traffic.”
The area affected by the Plan Change is smaller than that which was covered by Newmarket’s Future and is restricted primarily to the centre of that area excluding much of the surrounding residential areas. This is because not all of the Newmarket’s Future area required new planning rules to achieve the objectives of that document.
I have had a brief read through this, and there are some good aspects of it. I noted the following:
- Reduced level of parking required. In fact, the new structure plan has maximum and minimum levels of parking provision, rather than the usual minimum only.
- More high-density residential/mixed-use zones. This should lead to better urban design and higher densities of development around the core shopping area. The Business Mixed Use zone and the Residential 8 zone require much more 'urban design analysis' than the Business 3 and 4 zones, which is where most of the current crap apartments have been built.

I do wonder whether much of the damage has already been done with some very poor developments here. Sure the increase in density is great, but it has come at a bit of a cost, most obvious with the "two concrete wall" development on the corner of Remuera Rd and Broadway. I also wish that a direct link from the new train station to Broadway was more possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Marvellous idea!

Why there's a seperate Takapuna thread.

A Manukau thread or is that for the entire south Auckland city :)

Missing a Waitakere and separate Henderson thread though, or am I just being blind?

#3 · (Edited)
Newmarket:

Ok we all know about this one

13 Jan 2008

a Few different views

Not much has been said about these

Anyone know the story with this sore thumb?

The metal works across the road has let go of its storage space and something boutiquey is been built

Area for 227 expansion is been demolished to this point

Always interesting window dressing in Newmarket

Dan Carters shop GAS opens soon in Nuffield

#4 ·
Anyone know the story with this sore thumb?

Before the addition of the new shop-line complex (I have no idea how else to call it), all the owners were consulted and filled in on the fact that their places would be totally redone into modern spaces now occupied by banks and some retail stores. Mr. Shoe Repair Man was against his place being teared down and objected. The fact that his place was smack-bang in the middle of what was planned, much arguing and then deliberation ensued and it was decided to go ahead with the plan and keep the shoe repair place to satisfy the man whose father had started up the company some years ago. You could say this is typical nimbyism but it is actually nimbyism that I admire :lol:. It adds character to the area and will go down in Newmarket history as a cute little 'urban legend' and Broadway doesn't seem look the worse for it anyway. :)

#8 ·
Its meant to look rustic, like a shop in the "wild west".

Westfield own that whole block. The story I heard, Westfield would not give them any special treatment if he were to sell and move into the new block. Market rent would probably cripple that business. They probably only survive because its right outside a busy bus stop and of course own the premise.

#14 ·
It does feel that way. It's like people are slowly waking up to Auckland's potential although there is a long way to go like you say it's kind of like we have hit adolesence as a city. I have to say i've seen more progress in Auckland in the last 8 or so years than any time before that.

I think that's one of the exciting things about living in this city,despite it's faults (and there are plenty) it's a work in progress and there is the potential there for it to be a pretty great place.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yep it is a different place from what it was. I think the difference now is both local politicians and those in central government recognise the importance to NZ of getting Auckland sorted.

It's still got a lot of shortcommings and there is a long way to go before we can truly call it a proper "world class" (i hate that term, but use it for lack of a better one) city. but the progress over the last decade has been huge, considering the lack we had before that.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes. Never spent much time in Auckland, but thoroughly enjoyed 5 days or so there in january. Really opened my eyes.

Back to the topic of this thread, I'd love to live in Newmarket, but I doubt I'd get my desired property size/quality for my budget.

With regards to the apartment development, not sure how I feel about it. In some of Mr KFs shots it looks good, like this one:

However, in others......meh:

#29 ·
The blurb:

Uniquely positioned above the Newmarket railway lines, 88 Broadway is unlike anything New Zealand has seen before.

An innovative development combining approximately 15,000m2 of commercial space 2100m2 of retail space fronting onto Broadway and 130 apartments, 88 Broadway promises to be something exceptional.

Incorporating elements of water and light into its architecture, this modern, green-star-rateable building allows for the easy flow of road, train and pedestrian traffic into and through the development.

In keeping with the overall design, the multi-level office building is filled with light and provides the perfect workplace environment. With Auckland's continuing traffic congestion and the move to commute via public transport, 88 Broadway's direct link to trains and buses gives it instant appeal.

#37 ·
I am guessing the shopping there will improve once the connection to Broadway is improved by ACC (they plan to demolish 2 buildings to create a larger opening) and the station opens. Perhaps some big planter pots and cafe outdoor seating will warm the place up a bit.

#40 ·
I think its OK. From what I understand Newmarket station will have to be rebuilt if you want to put in a fourth track there, so it probably wont happen..

and the long term plan would be for a cbd loop from britomart to Mt eden. So southern trains would come in past NEwmarket and down to Parnell, and western line trains would go past kingsland and then turn into the cbd loop to a Mt eden station, then to midtown and Britomart station that way, so the stretch of track between newmarket and Mt Eden will probably be much quieter in the long run. An airport line might go that way or maybe the Onehunga branch but it probably wont be as busy as having all the western line trains going down it like it does now.

#43 · (Edited)
From 22nd of June ACC `minutes

"Equinox Group is proposing a development at 88 Broadway above the triangle at the northern end of Newmarket, where the north, south and western rail tracks converge. While a resource consent application has not yet been lodged, the developer has met with the Urban Design Panel on a number of occasions. The current proposal is to build a platform six metres above the rail tracks to provide for retail, office, residential and car parking space."

"The proposed station development (Newmarket train station) involves a large glass and steel framed concourse structure adjacent to a station square, two island platforms serving three tracks and the potential for a further glass/steel framed structure at the northern end of the platform which would connect through a commercial development to Broadway. An air-bridge will connect the main concourse/Station Square through to the current access point from Remuera Road. "

So it sounds like if this goes ahead it will be linked into the Newmarket station which would mean that there will be 3 entrances to the station, c.f. the previous 1 entrance off Remuera Rd.

#44 ·
That will be a fantastically interesting development if/when it goes ahead.

Regarding 4 tracks through Newmarket - not sure if it's really ever going to be a viable option. Duplicating the Parnell tunnel would be really expensive, while some pressure should be taken off the Parnell-Britomart stretch of railway when the CBD rail tunnel is built.