daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Cities, Places, Travel and Geography

Cities, Places, Travel and Geography Discussions and Photos of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of cities and places in the Philippines.
» Metro Manila | Luzon | Visayas | Mindanao

Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM   #21
JudeD

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@1008 View Post
are those pics from your magazine??
Yup, from our newspaper actually. These were taken at diplomatic events.
JudeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #22
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeD View Post
Kimber, thanks and I'm glad I finally have a proper "mission" again on the forums. I know I haven't been too actively posting here recently, been more actively ignoring certain people kasi
I know what you mean. But it's good to see you posting again. Your posts are most definitely a welcome sight!
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #23
JudeD

Italian Emb.’s First Secretary Mario Bartoli, Italian Amb. Rubens Fedele, UAE Amb. Mohammed Ebrahim Al Jowaid and UAE Counsellor Saeed Altunaiji on UAE Day
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #24
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The diplomatic community in the Philippines seems very active, I bet their social calendars are filled with events.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #25
JudeD

Well, there's at least two events a week to attend (and we have to attend them ALL!). But it's usually the same people over and over. So it's a kinda close-knit community. But like in any group, some diplomats are friendly, some... not so much.

Finnish Embassy’s Aarmi Aarni, Mirja Antonio, Airi Kangas, Elina Poikonen, and Amb. Riitta Resch
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #26
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Philippine Embassy - Washington, DC

- edit
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #27
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 186

Whoa great pics!
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #28
JudeD

Indian Emb's Tsewang Namgyal, Mrs. Tsering Lhazes, Indian Amb. Rajeet Mitter and Mme. Kavita Mitter
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM   #29
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 152

Does anybody know how to contact the Portuguese Embassy in Manila? or has it closed? If so, how can you obtain a Portuguese-issued Schengen visa?
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM   #30
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Portugal currently doesn't have a diplomatic mission (embassy or consualte) in the Philippines. Try inquiring at the other local EU/Schengen area diplomatic missions (the Spanish Embassy would be a good start) in the Metro for information about travel requirements for entering/leaving Portugal.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM   #31
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Thanks Kimber. I did a bit more research and just found out that visa requests from the Philippines will be processed at the Portuguese Embassy in Jakarta.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM   #32
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Is Portugal part of the Schengen Zone? I thought once you obtain a Schengen visa from a member nation, you can freely move within the zone with any border checks and additional travel documents.

By the way, here's a very good website with informative stuff about embassies and consulates of every nation around the world: www.embassiesabroad.com.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:20 AM   #33
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Thanks! Yeah, that was what we thought so, too. But apparently, you have to apply for a Schengen visa at the point of entry's embassy, which happens to be the Portuguese Embassy. [PERHAPS this rule only applies to third-world passports.]
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM   #34
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 142

OBAMA may pick first black US envoy for RP

WITH Barack Obama’s election as the new President of the United States, making history as the country’s first African-American president, doors have been opened for more qualified African-Americans to become more prominent in the political scene.

The Philippines is not one to lag behind in embracing this world-changing development. On Nov. 20, diplomatic sources said the White House has picked career diplomat Harry K. Thomas Jr. as the next ambassador to Manila.

Thomas is set to replace current US Ambassador to Manila Kristie Kenney, who also made history as its first female ambassador. At present, the 52-year-old Thomas is director general of the State Department’s Foreign Service, a post he has held since last year. When he circulated an order requiring diplomats to serve in Iraq, it grabbed headlines all over and drew the ire of the diplomats’ union in Washington and whose members eventually confronted him in late October last year.

An Associated Press dispatch revealed it was quoted that the head of the American Foreign Service Association, John Naland, said that a survey showed only 12 percent of the members of the diplomats’ union believed the Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, also an African-American, was "fighting for them," to which Thomas reportedly stated,"That’s their right, but they’re wrong."

As of 2005, only 6.5 percent of African-Americans compose the US foreign service’s professional staff, just slightly up from 5.4 percent in 1985. On the other hand, women’s progress in the diplomatic service has been greater: from 20 percent of the professional staff in 1985, the male-female ratio 20 years later had narrowed 66 to 34.

A graduate of the Holy Cross and Columbia University, Thomas is a veteran of the diplomatic service, having had experience since 1984. He also served as ambassador to Bangladesh from 2003 to 2005 before becoming the official executive secretary at the Office of the Secretary of State. Thomas, who speaks fluent Spanish, Bangla and Hindi, has also served in New Delhi, Harare, Kaduna and Lima. For his service, he has received several awards from the State Department, including the Arnold Raphel Award for leadership, motivation and mentoring of colleagues.

In an article of the February 2006 issue of State Magazine, Thomas stated that "Assignments and promotions in today’s Department are based on merit. All Americans are welcome to join the Civil Service and Foreign Service. The Department’s leadership is committed to diversity and excellence, but that was not always the case."

No doubt that Obama’s win in the US elections last Nov. 4 will bring in a new dawn as more African-Americans will be recognized and given opportunities to take on vital roles in the government. (AJPress with reports from Philstar.com)

http://www.asianjournal.com/dateline...oy-for-rp.html
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #35
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The Philippine Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #36
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The Philippine Consulate in New York City.

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #37
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The Philippine Embassy in London, United Kingdom.

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #38
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The Philippine Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil.

Old January 5th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #39
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 186

Ahhh! Pics aren't working.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #40
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 1571

British Embassy in Manila New Regional Hub for Visa Processing

abs-cbnNEWS.com | 01/06/2009 3:36 PM

The UK Border Agency has designated the British Embassy in Manila as a new regional hub for visa processing. Starting this month, the UK's Manila post will assume responsibility for the issuance of visas for Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea. Other regional offices may also be sending its visa applications here for processing later in the year.

British Ambassador Peter Beckingham welcomed the new developments in the British Embassy's Manila post.

"This expansion spells a big vote of confidence in Manila as a major hub for business process outsourcing," Beckingham said. "The development reinforces the sizeable outsourcing to the Philippines by UK companies and organizations, ranging from financial services to publishing and the media."

In preparation, the embassy is re-structuring its visa section and hiring additional staff to accommodate the expected increase in the volume of work. On its new location in McKinley Hill, Taguig City, construction is now being done to enlarge the office space.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo expressed his delight that the British Embassy is joining many other major organisations and companies in entrusting and transferring their operations to the Philippines.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote