daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #241
PJRODP

Likes (Received): 1

Some of these developers who are objecting have sites which they haven't developed yet !! (I'm thinking off Bedford Square in particular) - When the wordwide office market picks up tenants will bypass Belfast as large office space buildings constructed to date are scarce - Invest NI needs to spend time to attract large worldwide companies promotting the availability of workforce and low rental rates, however if we dont have the office space --- some speculative building would give us a step ahead in the right direction.
PJRODP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #242
beddiebyes

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRODP View Post
Some of these developers who are objecting have sites which they haven't developed yet !! (I'm thinking off Bedford Square in particular)
I think thats their point though. Those developments havent gone ahead because of the downturn and also the competition from the Titanic Quarter. I suppose they would argue that developments like Bedford Sq would be more likely to be built if they didnt have to compete for tennants with TQ. I guess its a question of what would you prefer, greater development of the City centre or development of TQ because at the minute there isnt the demand for office space for both to happen
beddiebyes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #243
beddiebyes

double post
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #244
G2GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC NEWS - 19 OCT 2009
Hope for US financial jobs in NI

The expected announcement follows Hillary Clinton's visit
A major jobs announcement is expected to be made in Belfast on Monday.

It follows last week's visit to Northern Ireland by US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton.

It is understood that the New York Stock Exchange plans to set up a service centre, ****possibly in Belfast's Titanic Quarter. ****

Details are being kept under wraps but it could mean more that two hundred new high end jobs, paying significant salaries, would be created.

BBC business reporter Eddie O'Gorman said the project had been in the pipeline "for quite some time".

"The New York Stock Exchange bought a Belfast software company called Wombat 18 months ago for $200m and Invest NI have been talking to them ever since about expanding their operation here," he said.

"They did announce more jobs at the time of the investment conference in May 2008 and this is just a further stage in the process."

Stormont ministers have been lobbying hard in the US for more investment as part of the peace dividend.

Workforce

Last year industry leaders from 80 US companies attended a conference in Belfast outlining potential investment opportunities.

When Mrs Clinton visited last week she met business leaders during her series of engagements.

She noted that Northern Ireland had escaped the worst ravages of the global economic downturn and credited the relative success on its educated, highly skilled workforce.

In 2007 the New York was the scene for one of the most striking images of the early days of DUP/ Sinn Fein power sharing when then DUP leader and First Minister, Ian Paisley and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness of Sinn Fein were photographed ringing the trading bell at the Nasdaq exchange.

The pair also met the chief executive of the New York Stock Exchange, Duncan Niederauer, during the trip and lobbied him on making an investment in Northern Ireland.

The US-based financial group Citi employs about 800 people in Belfast in a technology service centre.

I wonder will this be in the final section of the Gateway Building - unlikely due to the number of jobs - or will this be a boost to the Financial Services Campus that the other developers object to but the planning service are apparently favourable to...

Last edited by G2GAP; October 19th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #245
beddiebyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post

I wonder will this be in the final section of the Gateway Building - unlikely due to the number of jobs - or will this be a boost to the Financial Services Campus that the other developers object to but the planning service are apparently favourable to...
Just heard in the news that they are due to move into the recently vacated Adelaide Exchange
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #246
G2GAP

Titanic Quarter Signature Project Public Plaza Hotels

As part of the Signature Project a central plaza will be created and three hotel developments will surround the plaza....

Hamilton Dock, Crowne Plaza Hotel

Credit: www.rmi.uk.com

- 4 Star 240 bed Hotel
- Conference Centre

South Yard Hotel

"Two six storey structures mirrored about a central retail mall forming a vista from urban square to the river front. Hotels to form perimeter of an urban block with a central landscaped podium deck shared with neighbouring residential component above retail accommodation and servicing facilities. Buildings to be clad in a combination of precast concrete, zinc and brick with distinct “checkerboard” fenestration."

H&W HQ Boutique Hotel

- 110 bed hotel
- Bar & Restaurant facilities
- Basement Spa

"RMI intend to retain the existing fabric of the building as much as possible and provide new room layouts that work within the constraints of the existing building structure. To achieve the required number of rooms an additional lightweight structure has been added to the existing building roof. A new reception block has been added to allow for links to a proposed basement that will house the spa and all the servicing infrastructure of the building. All junctions between the new and old building have been dealt with sympathetically through the proposed detailing."
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #247
Death by Milkfloat

You missed the Titanic Quarter Art Gallery, also by Robinson McIlwaine

Death by Milkfloat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #248
G2GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Milkfloat View Post
You missed the Titanic Quarter Art Gallery, also by Robinson McIlwaine

haha so i did! .... ooohh can't wait for all this! TQ is fairly cracking on with its future plans!!
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #249
citybus

Likes (Received): 64

I'm getting a little confused about where these buildings are. pretending that Queens road heads perfectly north, the first building on the west is the Arc apartments. Then north of that is the Hamilton Dock (where I assume the Nomadic will be). North of that there is the Drawing Offices. West of that will be the Signature project. where is the art gallery and the 2 hotels likely to be? Could it be that they will be set back from the queens road?
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #250
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2380

I love the fact an art gallery is planned, we are in dire need of such things in Belfast.

The hotels look good as well.

Here's a interior of the H&W one. I approve

belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #251
citybus

Likes (Received): 64

I'm glad they took a sensible choice with the drawing room, I was scared they were going to **** it up by building a floor and turning that large space into a dozen rooms. It would be nice in the daytime with the sunlight shining through.
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #252
Conor

Likes (Received): 30

Great renders! I suppose the new art gallery means there's less of a chance of the city hall being domed over instead?
Conor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #253
beddiebyes

yeh its slightly confusing where they will all be. The new gallery looks like it will in between H&W HQ and hamilton dock. The two hotels presumably are located one to the south of the singature project and one to the west of it. If i had to guess I would say the South Yard one will be to the west cause it looks like cavehill in the background
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #254
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Would appear the Gallery will be where you mentioned beddie. The South Yard hotel will front the river/lough and the Crowne Plaza will be in-between those two, looking onto the signature project and the slipways.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #255
Boba Fett22
we need corporation tax

Likes (Received): 55

How.would.you.all.feel.about.a.music.conservatoire.in.Titanic.Quarter?
Boba Fett22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #256
belfastuniguy
Subliving

That would be fabulous

Would be a nice addition and could work well with the new gallery, college campus and hopefully future cultural additions.

Do you have news that one may be planned?
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #257
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

Impressive developments!

The UU should consider opening a campus at the TQ. If they think they can move everyone from UUJ to York Street they are seriously deluded.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #258
hypnotoad24

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybus View Post
I'm getting a little confused about where these buildings are. pretending that Queens road heads perfectly north, the first building on the west is the Arc apartments. Then north of that is the Hamilton Dock (where I assume the Nomadic will be). North of that there is the Drawing Offices. West of that will be the Signature project. where is the art gallery and the 2 hotels likely to be? Could it be that they will be set back from the queens road?
I was speaking to one of the guys involved in titanic quarter- i think he said these are the locations of new hotels and gallery:

Last edited by hypnotoad24; October 20th, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling...
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #259
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

I think the art gallery should be in the drawing offices. Impressive as the proposed hotel is it should be a public building/museum/art gallery and not a hotel for the rich and famous.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #260
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
I think the art gallery should be in the drawing offices. Impressive as the proposed hotel is it should be a public building/museum/art gallery and not a hotel for the rich and famous.
I disagree, we need a new modern art museum in Belfast, one that hopefully showcases innovative design and exhibit space. LONG overdue. It will allow for large art pieces we are as yet unable to house.

The drawing offices will make for a truly gorgeous hotel.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: