daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
belfastuniguy
Subliving
 
belfastuniguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,077
Likes (Received): 2337

OBEL




Lagansides development brief attracted much interest and some of the non adopted designs can be seen below. In the end a consortium consisting of KARL Properties, MAR Properties and Greenfarm Developments won the development brief and signed a contract with Laganside in June 2002. They collectively make up Donegall Quay Ltd.


The development consists of a 28 storey 85m high residential tower called ‘Obel’, along with office and leisure space and two basement levels for parking.

The scheme was originally to include an eight storey 144 bedroom hotel, however upon the success of the first release of apartments the developer cancelled plans for a hotel and added more apartments. All 182 apartments released were booked within 48 hours of their release with prices ranging from £100,000 to £475,000. As well as creating more apartment space through replacing the hotel the tower was also changed to increase the height from 80m to 85m, creating an extra two floors. Planning consent for these changes came in Autumn 2007.

Construction began on the two basement levels in January 2006. Charles Brand a division of the Lagan Group carried out the work which was completed in early 2007. Upon completion of the first phase of the Obel construction process the site was boarded up for much of 2007 until planning was granted for amendments to the scheme as mentioned above.

Construction re-commenced on site in the week commencing 16 June 2008. The site was cleared up after being left for one year with no work undertaken. As of the end of that week the base of the first smaller tower crane was in place and it was fully erected the next week.
The return to the site follows a change in the developers behind the scheme. Karl properties purchased fellow consortium members MAR properties and Greenfarm Developments stakes in Donegall Quay Ltd.
Then, in the last week of July the 106m specially designed tower crane for the main Obel structure was erected. The crane stands at the same height as “Samson”, the taller of the two H&W cranes and will be in place for the duration of the 24 months build contract which has been taken on by O’Hare and McGovern.


Donegall Quay Timeline




March 1984 - © Copyright “Aubrey Dale” and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License. Photographs original source.



April 2007 - Taken from the Lagan weir showing Donegall Quay hoarded up for development to progress.



2010 - Taken from Queens Quay this impression shows the finished Obel scheme at Donegall Quay.

Construction Progress



April 2007
- Basement works nearing completion.


Thanks to Future Belfast for the above info
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM   #2
gothicform
Bossman
 
gothicform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: s****horpe
Posts: 30,764
Likes (Received): 2995

funny thing is i havent read anywhere who the architect is for this building? it looks ace though and will be a crowning triumph on belfast's skyline.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
al73
Registered User
 
al73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: بلفاست
Posts: 325
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
funny thing is i havent read anywhere who the architect is for this building? it looks ace though and will be a crowning triumph on belfast's skyline.
I think it is Broadway Malyan, link here:

http://www.broadwaymalyan.com/projec...el-belfast.cfm

They are also architects for the Queen's Quay development, the tower of which which looks quite similar to Obel:

http://www.broadwaymalyan.com/projec...ay-belfast.cfm
al73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
beddiebyes
Registered User
 
beddiebyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 278
Likes (Received): 0

I thought i may as well post some pictures of the obel. I know there's not an awful lot to see yet but still seems odd there isnt any updates on this thread as yet. I just lifted the pics from flickr and geograph.



image hosted on flickr
beddiebyes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #5
MelbourneMaverick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, London
Posts: 113
Likes (Received): 3

nice, took a while
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #6
G2GAP
Registered User
 
G2GAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belfast / Edinburgh
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 0

Construction Photo Update: 21/02/09











Noticed something about the Obel's facade closest to the M3 bridge. The first floor is being clad in a material that looks very much like the aluminium look that blights Boucher Road!! Most of the stuff was still in protective wrap but i managed to get some shots were it was showing through. It seems to be the area on the corner of the tower section closest to the M3 and Lagan. Although from all renders i thought that it was a purely glass facade at that point.






EDIT: Just realised from looking at the render that there is actually a feature on that bottom corner. Bottom right below....

G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
belfastuniguy
Subliving
 
belfastuniguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,077
Likes (Received): 2337

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post
EDIT: Just realised from looking at the render that there is actually a feature on that bottom corner. Bottom right below....
Yeah was gonna say.

I mean it makes sense, hardly want a lovely glassed area looking onto the fcuking ugly M3 Bridge and having it there in your face as you having you tea and muffins or whatever lol

I really despise that bridge, would love for it to be torn down in the future and replaced with something more fitting for its new neighbours. Or at least something done to change its appearance.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:24 AM   #8
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Áth Cliath, AE
Posts: 658
Likes (Received): 20

This is a really nice project, good to see its still going up through all the turmoil. Covers that royal mail building up nicely too
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM   #9
thevanishin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 489
Likes (Received): 10

Surely those 'X' frames on the windows aren't staying?
thevanishin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #10
G2GAP
Registered User
 
G2GAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belfast / Edinburgh
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 0

I think they're to help the sections maintain their shape during transport and fitting because they all come like that on the lorrys delivering them.
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #11
thevanishin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 489
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post
I think they're to help the sections maintain their shape during transport and fitting because they all come like that on the lorrys delivering them.
That's a relief, I was worried that would spoil an otherwise excellent project.

*phew*
thevanishin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #12
festivephone
Registered User
 
festivephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belfast
Posts: 183
Likes (Received): 0

Is it just the angle or is there less floors constructed on the latest pic than the older one?. There seems to be 2 floors missing from the lower building to the left of the tower.
festivephone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #13
festivephone
Registered User
 
festivephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belfast
Posts: 183
Likes (Received): 0

Actually took a closer look and im wrong!
festivephone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #14
G2GAP
Registered User
 
G2GAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belfast / Edinburgh
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivephone
Is it just the angle or is there less floors constructed on the latest pic than the older one?. There seems to be 2 floors missing from the lower building to the left of the tower.
Since they began installing the sections of the facade on what i call the back of the building i have felt that progress upwards has stalled quite considerably. However in saying that it's not too bad on the tower section. Its very roughly around one full floor a week on the tower section, which isn't bad i suppose, but to be finished in early to mid 2010 seems a tad optimistic at this rate! Hope to be proved wrong though!
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #15
asbar
Registered User
 
asbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 0

Will it have a underground car park
asbar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #16
G2GAP
Registered User
 
G2GAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belfast / Edinburgh
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 0

Yes the two levels of basement parking were built in 2006 by Charles Brand (part of the Lagan group).
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #17
SnailTrain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 528
Likes (Received): 0

I really like the projected images of this tower, modest though it is. I hope that it lives up to them. I agree that the M3 Bridge is vile, and I was one of those who objected to it because of its lack of visual impact. Another great opportunity missed to create an exciting gateway. This thing is a concrete ramp. At least it will provide a contrast to the excellent Obel.
SnailTrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #18
G2GAP
Registered User
 
G2GAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belfast / Edinburgh
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailTrain View Post
I really like the projected images of this tower, modest though it is. I hope that it lives up to them. I agree that the M3 Bridge is vile, and I was one of those who objected to it because of its lack of visual impact. Another great opportunity missed to create an exciting gateway. This thing is a concrete ramp. At least it will provide a contrast to the excellent Obel.
I think you should put it in perspective though. . . it may be modest on comparison to other major cities but for Belfast which is only really finding its feet after relatively recent period of no development or crap development or backwards development of the 60's to early 90's i think it is a fantastically bold statement. It's a start in the right direction. Unfortunately these changes dont happen overnight, though it would be nice lol.

I have never given the M3 much thought. Its never particularly struck me as overly ugly but also i have never liked it much . . .its kind of . . .meh . . .
It does look good lit up with the Weir in the purple colour though. At the time it was built though there wasn't alot in the area and the problem of the bridge dividing the city at this point probably wasn't adequately addressed. It is something that the TQ and Odyssey have to deal with in relation to connecting more with the city. The same for Clarendon.

I did have pictures somewhere of the previous proposed bridge before it was changed to the current design. I'll try and hunt them out as they did look slightly better.

On Obel related news though i seen the frames for the windows are fitted on the Custom House side where the sections of cladding have been fitted. Hopefully glazing isn't far behind!
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #19
belfastuniguy
Subliving
 
belfastuniguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,077
Likes (Received): 2337

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post
I think you should put it in perspective though. . . it may be modest on comparison to other major cities but for Belfast which is only really finding its feet after relatively recent period of no development or crap development or backwards development of the 60's to early 90's i think it is a fantastically bold statement. It's a start in the right direction. Unfortunately these changes dont happen overnight, though it would be nice lol.

I have never given the M3 much thought. Its never particularly struck me as overly ugly but also i have never liked it much . . .its kind of . . .meh . . .
It does look good lit up with the Weir in the purple colour though. At the time it was built though there wasn't alot in the area and the problem of the bridge dividing the city at this point probably wasn't adequately addressed. It is something that the TQ and Odyssey have to deal with in relation to connecting more with the city. The same for Clarendon.

I did have pictures somewhere of the previous proposed bridge before it was changed to the current design. I'll try and hunt them out as they did look slightly better.

On Obel related news though i seen the frames for the windows are fitted on the Custom House side where the sections of cladding have been fitted. Hopefully glazing isn't far behind!

I agree, I think OBEL is rather good statement to make.

Yes the M3 Bridge is awful, but as stated above when it was built there was nothing there so its impact was not considered. I don't think the designers or planners could have hoped for peace to last and the city to develop in the way it has. I will agree it doesn't look too bad at night lit up.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #20
937delta
Registered User
 
937delta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckna Co Antrim UK
Posts: 1,329
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes the M3 Bridge is awful,
Its a bridge!!!!
937delta no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu