daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM   #1
jsk1983

Likes (Received): 1

Woodstock, IL and the Illinois Railway Museum

On Saturday I headed out to Woodstock, IL enroute to the Illinois Railway Museum in nearby Union. Woodstock is the second last stop on Metra's (Chicagoland commuter rail) Northwest line. Metra lets passengers bring bikes on trains as long as there is enough room so that we did. The journey from Woodstock to Union was about 11 miles through mostly rural McHenry county through the outskirts of Woodstock did contain some fringe suburbia. Mostly though it was horse farms and corn and soy bean fields.

Here's the pictures:

Metra's Clybourn Station. I choose to avoid the hassle of going through the main station and awaited my train here. Its pretty bare bones but many people find it more convienant than the downtown stations.

Of course no small midwestern town is complete without a Dairy Queen.

Local Catholic church in Woodstock.

Soybean fields somewhere between Woodstock and Union.

The next set of photos is obviously from the museum. I believe its the largest museum of its kind in the country and can take the better part of the day to go through. Of course I had to take pictures of the toilets which were ever so convienantly located right in the private rooms/sleeping compartments.

And now back to Woodstock. Woodstock may look familiar as it was the filming location of Groundhogs Day (having stood in for Punxsatawny). The city capitalizes on it to a certain extent, though not excessively.

jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Interesting little town
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

wow what a cool town. looks a lot like some towns in Missouri and Kansas. I like that they have old trains that you can go into, but you'd think that, at least for a museum, they would have refurbished the inside and tried to make it look nice...
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #4
jsk1983

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
wow what a cool town. looks a lot like some towns in Missouri and Kansas. I like that they have old trains that you can go into, but you'd think that, at least for a museum, they would have refurbished the inside and tried to make it look nice...
Some are refurbished. The museum has a rather exstensive collection (largest in the nation) and of course has limited funds. They do have several trains that are fully operational which they run on their own track.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244415

Looks very nice place
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote