daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #2201
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10619

Our gas in eastern Iowa jumped from $3.529 a gallon for unleaded plus to $3.699 overnight. Robbers!

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #2202
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Whoa.
Are they blaming Isaac?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #2203
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

The oil prices have only one direction to go. It's crystal clear. The biofuels are one big joke, solar energy is just in nappies (perhaps could be working on the decentralized bases atm) and the only energy source and technology that makes sense (nuclear energy) on the big scene is scaring populations and being overlooked. There is no clear and sensible strategy, as to the energy crises, we, as populatioin, are heading into. Instead of using the taxes on the carbon fuels to finance the transition into the non carbon economy we just spend them on further enlarging the carbon dependency.

The sensible trend in transportation in further 20 years is clear. It is electric energy. The problem is where to make it and how to store it. It is quite wise (on the personal level) to invest into the solar and wind electric energy sources and storage capacities as these can be easily used in the future to power the personal transportation (besides other) for fraction of the future carbon related costs.

The best moment to do it is however hard to tell. It should be exactly before it becomes openly clear that the carbon sources cannot anymore cover the consumption. Because till that point the alternative means of energy sources will become cheaper and cheaper (as solar panels and wind turbines). Once we enter the break point, everything will drastically increase in price, the alternative means of energy sources especially, since the demand will increase rapidly and the supply will be not following due to limited energy resources available in the production of those means.

The crises that we are in more or less already 4 years is higly correlated to the stalling of the oil production and increase in the oil prices. Historically, economic performance and oil prices were allways highly correlated. However, in the history, there were quickly found other sources of oil (in fact this can be related to any energy sources and economy). These days the supply is limited and the economy is just kicking hence and forth as an engine that went dry. It wont be long before it stops and we find outselfs pushing the car on the highway for a long way before the next refill.

Last edited by Surel; August 29th, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #2204
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Around $ 1,30/L or 1 Euro/L.

Last edited by xrtn2; August 29th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #2205
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks, Isaac. $3.99/gal in Cincinnati (up from $3.59).
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #2206
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Whoa.
Are they blaming Isaac?
Yep.. word is some off shore wells are shut down because of the storm...it's just an excuse to drive the price up. Just my opinion.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #2207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Some refineries were also shut down in Louisiana.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2208
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Local business newspaper in Lithuania announced an informative table about 95 unleaded fuel prices accross EU. A table shows what average price for a petrol was across EU on wednesday (yesterday). Table shows things, that composes a final price of petrol, also margins, which are applicable by gas stations. Agenda is below a table.
Source: http://vz.lt/article/2012/8/30/lietu...tu-ir-prancuzu

Short agenda:
Top of table: Valstybė=Country; Naftos kaina=A price of oil; Marža=Margin; Akcizai=Excise; PVM=VAT; Galutinė kaina=Final price

Colors: Green=Mažiausia=Lowest; Yellow=Didžiausia=Highest

Countries agenda:
Airija = Ireland; Vokietija=Germany; Vengrija=Hungary; Lenkija=Poland; Prancūzija=France; Jungtinė Karalystė= United Kingdom. Other names of countries should be clear
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting. I wonder why Denmark has such a large margin. The excise is not that high, but VAT is.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2210
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fuel has reached an all-time record in the Netherlands.

Euro 95 costs € 1.887 per liter, or $ 8.96 per gallon.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2211
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Are there in the Netherlands discounts for self-service?

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2212
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, usually 8 - 12 cents at unmanned stations. The "national average" is usually only along motorway service stations.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2213
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Fuel has reached an all-time record in the Netherlands.

Euro 95 costs € 1.887 per liter, or $ 8.96 per gallon.
Wow. Spain has set an all-time record at "only" €1.51/l. But around here is a little cheaper, Euro 95 has been stuck at €1.482/l for a week or so despite the VAT increase (Again! ) from 18% to 21%.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2214
Dolph

Americans, stop complaining about fuel price
Here(BG) is $7.02 dollars per US gallon
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2215
Cpt.Iglo
D’r is mor ain Stad!

Likes (Received): 31

I've been in Italy a week ago, and I almost got an heartattack when I saw the fuelprices. Diesel €1,85/l, Euro 95 €1,95/l and Euro 98 €2,05(!) (in Gargano, Garda). Can someone tell me why the prices are that high? Lower taxes?

10,85 l diesel for €20,00.. I was glad I made it to the Austrian border, even at the autobahn the prices where much lower. (€1,59)
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2216
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
Americans, stop complaining about fuel price
Here(BG) is $7.02 dollars per US gallon
Well, if you're on a budget and you're used to paying $3.00 a gallon and it quickly rises to $4.00, you feel it, and the fact that it costs twice as much in Europe (which, if you're at that financial level, you probably don't know anyway since you've probably never been there) isn't much comfort.

Frankly, I don't know how Europeans drive as much as they do, as much as we do. I can only assume they have more money or (more likely) lower costs in some other areas, or that their personal budgets just have to allow more for fuel. I did see an article, though, in a French or Belgian paper at the beginning of the vacation season, asking whether traveling by car is becoming a luxury in Europe....

Personally, I don't drive every day so it doesn't matter much to me; I just hope it doesn't skyrocket before the election and influence the outcome since it's not something the President can control.

Maybe we can start a "Your Fuel Prices - U.S. Edition" thread that sensitive Europeans can ignore. [JOKING]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I did see an article, though, in a French or Belgian paper at the beginning of the vacation season, asking whether traveling by car is becoming a luxury in Europe....
Europeans do drive less miles per year than Americans, also because teens are not allowed to drive in most countries and most students cannot afford a car until they get a job.

However, traveling by car is expensive, but not a luxury. Apart from the countries with high unemployment such as Spain or Greece, or in countries with very high fuel prices compared to average income, such as Italy, the annual vehicle miles traveled are pretty much near record highs. It certainly is in the Netherlands.
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #2218
Dolph

Quote:
Well, if you're on a budget and you're used to paying $3.00 a gallon and it quickly rises to $4.00, you feel it, and the fact that it costs twice as much in Europe (which, if you're at that financial level, you probably don't know anyway since you've probably never been there) isn't much comfort.

Frankly, I don't know how Europeans drive as much as they do, as much as we do. I can only assume they have more money or (more likely) lower costs in some other areas, or that their personal budgets just have to allow more for fuel. I did see an article, though, in a French or Belgian paper at the beginning of the vacation season, asking whether traveling by car is becoming a luxury in Europe....

Personally, I don't drive every day so it doesn't matter much to me; I just hope it doesn't skyrocket before the election and influence the outcome since it's not something the President can control.

Maybe we can start a "Your Fuel Prices - U.S. Edition" thread that sensitive Europeans can ignore. [JOKING]
I hear you , I use to live in the States for a while, I know the feeling of gas prices going up, like in 2008 when in Chicago I was paying something like $4.50 per gallon. We all are on budget Penn's,personally the gasoline price doesn't "kill me" so to speak, the rise of the diesel price makes everything more expensive and thats sucks. I drive less(use public transportation and a bicycle) here, because everything is closer then the equivalent locations in the US, I also drive 1.6 16v car, not 3.6 or bigger which is very economical.Many Europeans drive economical diesel cars/vans/SUV's. Just recently friend of mine told me his fuel consumption- 62MPG, and this with a 10yrs. old car(VW Polo diesel).
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2219
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Europeans do drive less miles per year than Americans, also because teens are not allowed to drive in most countries and most students cannot afford a car until they get a job.

However, traveling by car is expensive, but not a luxury. Apart from the countries with high unemployment such as Spain or Greece, or in countries with very high fuel prices compared to average income, such as Italy, the annual vehicle miles traveled are pretty much near record highs. It certainly is in the Netherlands.
Average annual mileage in the UK has declined by quite a bit over the past decade or so. But yes, driving isn't a luxury, you just budget for it, much as I imagine people in the US budget for healthcare costs for example that would seem unaffordable and extreme to many Europeans used to spending much less on that area of the household budget.

Getting near records here too, cheapest locally to me is £1.347 / €1.70 per litre, $8.15 per US gallon.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Average annual mileage in the UK has declined by quite a bit over the past decade or so.
Only slightly since the recession. It's still higher than before 2005.

Tags
prices