daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Saw this on TV last night; sharing it for the bit about the drunken commodities trader....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #2282
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Title: avoiding crazy Italian prices!

This morning, thanks to a coupon I fueled my car paying 32 € for 21,61 liters (1,481 €/l).

Last refueling was on 2nd September when I fullfilled my tank paying 1,75 €/l during the last summer weekend deal.

Then I fueled my car in August twice paying 1,69 € and 1,72 €.

Going backwards I fueled my car in Switzerland paying 1,475 €/l (1,77 CHF) and I first fueled my car in June paying 1,60 €/l in Italy (first summer weekend deal).

Average price at around 1,619 €/liter! Not bad at all for an Italian driver!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2283
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 598

petrol price 80 rupees/l in India...
($1=52 Rs)
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2284
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
petrol price 80 rupees/l in India...
($1=52 Rs)

In comparison with local wages (about 15000/20000 Rupees in Kolkata) is a crazy price!

To fullfill my tank (43 liters) it would take 3440 Rupees, that's almost 20% of monthly wage!!!

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2285
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 598

It's a horrible situation out here.One LPG gas cylinder costs 880rs,In fact the air fare in our country is amongst the highest in the world,ATF is the highest in the world..
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #2286
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post

In comparison with local wages (about 15000/20000 Rupees in Kolkata) is a crazy price!

To fullfill my tank (43 liters) it would take 3440 Rupees, that's almost 20% of monthly wage!!!
Humm.. My wife and I spend about $120 USD a month on fuel...That's less than 3% of our income monthly. We only drive about 500 miles a month.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #2287
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Well, all US look really cheap to Europeans. When your guys see something like $7.14/gal like we have here*, they only can say OMG.
Yeah, we know since you and others have mentioned this at least 1000 times in this thread.

But keep in perspective that 10 years ago, gas was regularly below $2/gallon.

I remember going on roadtrips as a kid in the 1990s with my parents managing to pay even below $1/gallon. I'm not an old guy BTW.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #2288
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye

Humm.. My wife and I spend about $120 USD a month on fuel...That's less than 3% of our income monthly. We only drive about 500 miles a month.
It sounds like the better question press to ask is what percentage of our monthly income goes toward fuel? Obviously, some countries can afford to pay more for fuel whereas other countries are unable to.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2289
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
I can drive 500 miles for less than $ 80, with diesel prices being $ 7.28 per gallon in the Netherlands. Maybe it's time to switch to a more fuel-efficient vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
But keep in perspective that 10 years ago, gas was regularly below $2/gallon.

I remember going on roadtrips as a kid in the 1990s with my parents managing to pay even below $1/gallon. I'm not an old guy BTW.
People forget about inflation. You cannot compare 20-year old prices without taking inflation into account. For instance, $ 1 per gallon in 1990 would be $ 1.70 today, 70% higher. $ 2 per gallon in 2000 would be $ 2.60 today. Although prices obviously increased, it's not correct to compare old prices without taking inflation into account.

Anyway, what surprises me is the lack of media attention of the higher fuel prices recently. Some blame the media, with them covering the subject intensively during Bush's presidency, but not so much during Obamas presidency, however there is a similar tendency in Europe, you don't read about it as much nowadays.

It's funny, in the late 1990s people said that with fuel prices exceeding 2.5 guilders per liter, people would surely dump their cars and travel by bicycle or train. Nowadays fuel is at € 1.90 or over 4.15 guilders, and we're still driving more and more. Even with a 12 - 13-year inflation, it's a huge difference.

It's interesting to see what people say they will do, and what they actually do. Maybe they scrap a few short trips to the supermarket by car to make themselves feel good and think they cut back on driving.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2290
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

I run my land rover on waste oil...

Good old fashioned diesel engines
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2291
NorthWesternGuy
Yes, I do.

Likes (Received): 588

Current fuel prices per liter in Mexico (as of 10.10.2012)

Magna 87 oct: 10.54 MXN / 0.813 USD / 0.625 EUR (3.08 USD per gallon)
Premium 91 oct: 11.10 MXN / 0.857 USD / 0.658 EUR (3.24 USD per gallon)
Diesel: 10.90 MXN / 0.841 USD / 0.646 EUR (3.18 USD per gallon)

Some friends on the other side of the border told me the gallon prices have reached 5.00 USD, that's almost 1.00 EUR per liter!
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2292
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Don't come to Europe then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
Title: avoiding crazy Italian prices!

This morning, thanks to a coupon I fueled my car paying 32 € for 21,61 liters (1,481 €/l).

Last refueling was on 2nd September when I fullfilled my tank paying 1,75 €/l during the last summer weekend deal.

Then I fueled my car in August twice paying 1,69 € and 1,72 €.

Going backwards I fueled my car in Switzerland paying 1,475 €/l (1,77 CHF) and I first fueled my car in June paying 1,60 €/l in Italy (first summer weekend deal).

Average price at around 1,619 €/liter! Not bad at all for an Italian driver!
I like the average, is something like €φ/l (Golden ratio euros/l) .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2293
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWesternGuy View Post
Current fuel prices per liter in Mexico (as of 10.10.2012)

Magna 87 oct: 10.54 MXN / 0.813 USD / 0.625 EUR (3.08 USD per gallon)
Premium 91 oct: 11.10 MXN / 0.857 USD / 0.658 EUR (3.24 USD per gallon)
Diesel: 10.90 MXN / 0.841 USD / 0.646 EUR (3.18 USD per gallon)

Some friends on the other side of the border told me the gallon prices have reached 5.00 USD, that's almost 1.00 EUR per liter!
I was in the San Diego area this past Labor Day weekend in September. I noticed the immediate effect of almost sub-$5.00 USD per gallon of regular fuel. Luckily I had a compact car as a rental during my stay which helped mitigate the sticker shock as far as fuel prices in the San Diego area are concerned.

Now if I were living in the San Diego area in the vicinity of the Mexican border I would head on over across the border and to the nearest Pemex station for gas. Then again there's the mega-delay at the border coming back into the USA unless you use one of the less congested crossings.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #2294
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Here in St. Petersburg I noticed $3.65 per gallon of regular unleaded at Racetrac on Gandy Blvd. (US 92), up 10 cents from $3.55 as seen at another Racetrac on 54 Av N at Interstate 275 (Exit 26) yesterday (10/9/12).

Speaking of gas prices, I noticed that the gas prices are slightly higher across the Howard Frankland and Gandy Bridges in Tampa than in St. Petersburg - a 10 cent difference. I am not sure if it's taxes imposed by the county governments, as Tampa is Hillsborough County and St. Petersburg is Pinellas County.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #2295
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10639

Quote:
I can drive 500 miles for less than $ 80, with diesel prices being $ 7.28 per gallon in the Netherlands. Maybe it's time to switch to a more fuel-efficient vehicle?
Good for you!

I have a '03 Camry.with 78,000 miles on it.. It get about 29MPG. good enough for me. I'd never consider a diesel auto.Why? Diesel fuel stinks and the cost of repair of a diesel engine in the US is astronomical. the wife and I are buzzing over to Cincinnati in a couple of weeks..a distance of 500 miles(804KM).. I'll check my highway mileage then.

Generally speaking Trucks use diesel in the US..not cars.

Come to think of it other than pick-up trucks I cannot think of any diesel model auto for sale in the USA...let me check..

Humm..VW, BMW , Mazda, Audi, Mercedes Benz all have diesel models sold in the US,. Did not know that. Never seen anything but a VW diesel in Iowa and that was some years ago.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Last edited by bd popeye; October 11th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #2296
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
People forget about inflation. You cannot compare 20-year old prices without taking inflation into account.
Why not? Isn't inflation rising prices anyway?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2297
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Quote:
People forget about inflation. You cannot compare 20-year old prices without taking inflation into account. For instance, $ 1 per gallon in 1990 would be $ 1.70 today, 70% higher. $ 2 per gallon in 2000 would be $ 2.60 today. Although prices obviously increased, it's not correct to compare old prices without taking inflation into account.
Yes, a dollar bought a lot more back then. But still, my point is that current prices have galloped to a point unknown as recently as a decade ago. They might be cheap in comparison to what is paid in European countries but it has been a shock to the system for the average car dependent American that was used to cheap gas for most of his/her life. Having that gas guzzling SUV that only has 13 mpg isn't as good an idea when gas is $4.25 a gallon. In a way it spurs more efficiency but it's a shock nonetheless.

Quote:
Anyway, what surprises me is the lack of media attention of the higher fuel prices recently. Some blame the media, with them covering the subject intensively during Bush's presidency, but not so much during Obamas presidency, however there is a similar tendency in Europe, you don't read about it as much nowadays.
Gas prices are always in the news here.

Quote:
It's interesting to see what people say they will do, and what they actually do. Maybe they scrap a few short trips to the supermarket by car to make themselves feel good and think they cut back on driving.
Personally I simply drive to work and come back, that's it. Maybe I'll stop by a supermarket or restaurant on the way occasionally, but I don't deviate much. Or I'll go out with friends once a week. If gas actually hit $5/gallon, I'd likely look into carpooling programs to cut my use a bit.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2298
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Anyway, what surprises me is the lack of media attention of the higher fuel prices recently.

I completely agree with you when you criticize medias: it seems it became normal to pay 1,9 €/l for a litre of fuel when's not!

Then, I also agree with you on cutting back on driving: yes, moving by bike is a good thing to do but your save will be very low!

Last weekend I went to Bergamo and I paid 14 € return train ticket. If I had driven there by car I would have burnt ca. 14 liters of fuel (that with MY average price turn out to cost 23,34 € but obviously they cost more) and 9,20 € of motorway toll. The total amount would have been about 32/33 €!

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2299
johnnyboy55
Ping Pong

Likes (Received): 39

I read somewhere in the news that this year in Italy has been sold more bikes than cars. For first time after WW II.
johnnyboy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2300
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy55 View Post
I read somewhere in the news that this year in Italy has been sold more bikes than cars. For first time after WW II.
http://www.lettera43.it/motori/indus...4367566324.htm [Italian]

That's true!

The trouble is that we lack in cycling paths!

Tags
prices